Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SocketWrench posted:

The problem is that with Biden voters and Bernie voters both voting for their candidate, the dems will split the vote and lose to Trump again. This year's election sucks because you can vote by morals and we get another four years of the Orange rear end in a top hat show, or hold your nose and vote Biden and while things won't be totally better, we'll at least see the end to the current poo poo show and some sanity take over

Oh boy, I love sanity

E: dammit, snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SocketWrench posted:

The problem is that with Biden voters and Bernie voters both voting for their candidate, the dems will split the vote and lose to Trump again. This year's election sucks because you can vote by morals and we get another four years of the Orange rear end in a top hat show, or hold your nose and vote Biden and while things won't be totally better, we'll at least see the end to the current poo poo show and some sanity take over

Sanity isn’t what it used to be.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:10bux:

https://twitter.com/rabrowne75/status/1248030087582228483

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biden's the DNC candidate, duck tales was renewed for a 6th season and Donald Trump is President, Folks we live in a strange world.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Scrooge McDuck 2020: Is Not A Rapist.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Unelectable, we need a few skeletons in their closet so they will do the DNC's bidding!! Haha we're not PRo_BUSINESS or anything

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I have some bad news for you about ducks, my dude

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have a hard time imagining whether Scrooge or Glomgold is Trump. I feel like Biden has big Launchpad energy, except nobody else ever survives his landings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
USA has officially passed Spain and they're closing in on Italy numbers fast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/surlybassey/status/1247533000461451265

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

USA has officially passed Spain and they're closing in on Italy numbers fast.

well don't worry, once we're unable to test anybody at all that curve will flatten so hard :suicide:

Yes because I wasn't an idiot who thought he'd magically become less of a piece of poo poo.

EDIT: not directed at you Arglebargle, just pissed off at how people rationalized themselves into thinking "maybe he won't be that bad"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
US Politics really is asymmetric warfare. GOP voters literally want Democratic voters to die in the street and D voters want the president to be a nice man so they can go back to not thinking about politics anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I have a hard time imagining whether Scrooge or Glomgold is Trump. I feel like Biden has big Launchpad energy, except nobody else ever survives his landings.

In the new show, Glomgold is explicitly a Trump analog, having made his billions in the 80s by putting his name and face on loving everything and raking in the licensing dollars.

And also by being a dumb rear end in a top hat who’s a danger to society.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mcmagic posted:

US Politics really is asymmetric warfare. GOP voters literally want Democratic voters to die in the street and D voters want the president to be a nice man so they can go back to not thinking about politics anymore.

It's an unfortunate truth that Republicans have always been better at selling identity than Democrats have been at selling policy. You don't have to put in effort to convince people to be irrationally proud of what they already are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
John Mccain was obviously Launchpad.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's an unfortunate truth that Republicans have always been better at selling identity than Democrats have been at selling policy. You don't have to put in effort to convince people to be irrationally proud of what they already are.

Doesn't help that at this point the Democrats aren't interested in selling policy either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kellyanne! Help me onto his casket so I can dance on it!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1248094083492560898?s=20

I wonder how Donny is going to force people back to work? Should be a very creative May.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1248094083492560898?s=20

I wonder how Donny is going to force people back to work? Should be a very creative May.

Whine on Twitter until some republican governor's lift their stay-at-home orders and beg businesses to reopen.

He won't do a very good job of it, but he will get some people back to work so they can get sick and die.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mcmagic posted:

no, they want some to die at home out of sight, and they want anyone brown or queer to die in camps of malnutrition, illness, cold, or ambiguously sustained injuries.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

yes. that's why i voted.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

gently caress no. Launchpad was a goofy fuckup, but he had a heart of gold.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/albertemartinez/status/1247862339426308096?s=20

All according to keikaku.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jumping over the paywall:

WaPo posted:

The Chinese government’s mismanagement of the covid-19 outbreak, and how the United States should respond, are caught up in the partisan politics of Washington. But around the country, Americans in both parties increasingly agree that the United States needs a tougher, more realistic China strategy that depends less on the honesty and goodwill of the Chinese government.

It’s difficult to gauge — in the middle of the crisis — how exactly the U.S.-China relationship is changing. But everyone senses it will never be the same. Political leaders in Washington and Beijing have put their war of words on hold for the moment. But there is clear evidence that China is planning to use the crisis to its economic and political advantage worldwide.

Inside the Beltway, Republicans attack Democrats, Joe Biden and the media for not being critical enough of the Chinese Communist Party. Democrats attack President Trump for saying “Chinese virus” and attack any Republicans who blame the coronavirus pandemic on the CCP as racist.

Yet a new poll shows that, outside the Beltway, the coronavirus crisis is actually bringing Americans together on the China issue. Republicans and Democrats now largely agree that the Chinese government bears responsibility for the spread of the pandemic, that it can’t be trusted on this or any other issue, and that the U.S. government should maintain a tough position on China on trade and overall, especially if Beijing again falters in its commitments.

“It’s as much of a consensus issue as you can get in today’s divided world,” said Mark Penn, chairman of the Harris Poll. “Overall, there’s very little trust for anything that the Chinese government says or does, especially its premier. Xi Jinping has less than half the credibility of President Trump in this poll.”

Of the nationally representative sample of 1,993 American adults Harris surveyed online between April 3 and April 5, a net total of 23 percent said Xi, the Chinese president, was a trustworthy source of information related to the covid-19 outbreak, with Republicans and Democrats closely aligned. The White House and the U.S. media rated 53 and 60 percent in trustworthiness, respectively, with Republicans tending to support the former and Democrats the latter.

The bipartisan consensus on China doesn’t stop there. Ninety percent of Republicans said the Chinese government is responsible for the spread of the virus, compared to 67 percent of Democrats. Only 22 percent of Republicans and 34 percent of Democrats said they thought the Chinese government reported their coronavirus statistics accurately.

On trade, there’s even more agreement. Neither party seems to know whether China will fulfill its obligations under Trump’s “phase one” trade deal. But strong majorities in both parties believe that the U.S. government should reimpose tough tariffs if Beijing doesn’t live up to its obligations. Majorities in both parties also believe U.S. manufacturers should pull back from China in the wake of the crisis.

While it seems Americans in both parties are not buying Chinese Communist Party propaganda about the coronavirus crisis, there is less consensus about what to do about it. While 71 percent of Republicans responded that China should pay other countries in some way for the damage done because of the outbreak, only 41 percent of Democrats felt that way.

A firm majority of Republicans, 66 percent, said Trump should take an even tougher position on China than he currently does. Among Democrats, 38 percent said Trump should be tougher, 23 percent said he should be softer and 38 percent said he has it about right. Republicans favor Trump calling it the “Chinese virus” and approve his unilateral use of sanctions to punish Chinese officials who lied about the virus. Democrats overwhelmingly oppose both these things.

The political question for Biden, the front-runner for the Democratic nomination, and other party leaders is whether they will take this opportunity to close ranks on the China issue, taking away the Republicans’ political advantage, or instead adopt what some on the far left are pushing — a pro-engagement strategy that paints the United States, not Beijing, as the bigger part of the problem.

“That kind of policy doesn’t have a lot of political currency outside of some support among some younger voters,” Penn said. “The majority support here is for making China live up to its promises, regarding China as basically untrustworthy and having a tougher trade policy against them.”

The Opinions section is looking for stories of how the coronavirus has affected people of all walks of life. Write to us.

Outside of this poll, there were plenty of indications of hardening attitudes toward the Chinese government in both parties before the coronavirus crisis. Just in the past year, Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) have been working together to punish China for failing to curb the influx of fentanyl into the United States.

Outrage at the Chinese government’s internment of over 1 million Uighur and other ethnic Muslims in Xinjiang province has brought together the likes of Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) The Chinese government’s mishandling of the coronavirus is just the latest example of how its misdeeds and lies are affecting Americans in every state and from every walk of life.

Leaders in both parties should take a look at the data, listen to their constituents and then stop using China as a political weapon against their opponents, because that’s exactly what the CCP wants us to do. Working together to confront China’s bad behavior is not just a national security imperative. It’s also smart politics.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

American boomers are actually all mentally challenged :psyduck:

Jesus christ lead paint fumes are a hell of a thing

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 9, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF76tyWIA98

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

SocketWrench posted:

gently caress no. Launchpad was a goofy fuckup, but he had a heart of gold.

The joke is more about crashing planes.

TulliusCicero posted:

This is really becoming the only explanation.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TulliusCicero posted:

It's not just boomers that are stupid in regards to China. From the Harris polls linked in the article:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 9, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
So, your first sign that this is bullshit should be that it's Mark Penn. Your second sign that this is bullshit is that it's the corporate market research platform of theirs, not their more legitimate joint project with Harvard. The third is this shameful display of survey design. Is this an effort by Penn to prove Dems need to racism harder? of course

GOV04 Should China be required to pay other countries for the spread of the virus or is that not the responsibility of China?
China should be required to pay
It is not China’s responsibility to pay

GOV05 Should president Trump take a tougher position on China, softer position or the same position on China?
Tougher position on China
Softer position on China

GOV09 If it turns out that China has been underreporting cases and deaths due to coronavirus, do you think...?
President Trump should unilaterally impose economic sanctions
Congress should vote to impose economic sanctions
No action should be taken

:rolleyes:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the polling design equivalent of 'should your neighbor be forced to give you $500?' 'yes gently caress that guy' or 'no i'm a little bitch'

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke is more about crashing planes.

This is really becoming the only explanation.

McCain didn't crash that many

Holy poo poo, watching an interview with Governor Whitmer over MI being the third highest in cases now and the stupid is drooling out over the comment section. It's amazing. Everything from her banning hydroxychloroquine to passing the blame to loving smiling.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

So, your first sign that this is bullshit should be that it's Mark Penn. Your second sign that this is bullshit is that it's the corporate market research platform of theirs, not their more legitimate joint project with Harvard. The third is this shameful display of survey design. Is this an effort by Penn to prove Dems need to racism harder? of course

GOV04 Should China be required to pay other countries for the spread of the virus or is that not the responsibility of China?
China should be required to pay
It is not China’s responsibility to pay

GOV05 Should president Trump take a tougher position on China, softer position or the same position on China?
Tougher position on China
Softer position on China

GOV09 If it turns out that China has been underreporting cases and deaths due to coronavirus, do you think...?
President Trump should unilaterally impose economic sanctions
Congress should vote to impose economic sanctions
No action should be taken

:rolleyes:

What exactly is so bad about this language? The use of "tougher" and "softer" to make it seem like those who support a "softer" position are weak?

I'm not doubting your argument as I much as I'm not recognizing the problem and want to be able to identify similarly crappy polling in the future.

As stupid as my question sounds, let's not forget they managed to fool quite a few people here so I'm not the only fool.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 9, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just an amateur, so not sure if I'm right, but it's definitely pushing the answer they want even if it's not the worst in the world.

Should China be required to pay other countries for the spread of the virus - This plants the idea and implies that they spread it.

Or is that not the responsibility of China - It implies that the default position is that they're responsible and that they should be "responsible" and own up to it. You generally want to use more neutral language, I think.

Using "softer" seems odd. Most people don't want to be "soft" and it doesn't mean much. I'm not even sure that I'd say he should be "softer." It could have just asked if Trump was doing enough, not enough or just the right amount. Or just approve or disapprove.

The third question also pushes the idea that "someone" should impose sanctions and that you're being contrarian if you don't want to.

It's crazy easy to fudge numbers with word choice in surveys and polls.

This also reminds me of the most awful political survey I ever took on MTurk. It was during Kavanaugh's hearing, and after a few start-up questions, it was basically all about whether I thought blue balls existed and whether that could be a mitigating factor in harassment/assault, with what seemed like a couple push questions designed to make you sympathetic to harassers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno about poll results or anything but there's 100% gonna be 'muslims after 9/11' levels of racism against asians once people are out of their houses again

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

What exactly is so bad about this language? The use of "tougher" and "softer" to make it seem like those who support a "softer" position are weak?

I'm not doubting your argument as I much as I'm not recognizing the problem and want to be able to identify similarly crappy polling in the future.

As stupid as my question sounds, let's not forget they managed to fool quite a few people here so I'm not the only fool.

Yeah, so, polling is an art and a science and it turns out that it's really incredibly easy to manipulate the results of your poll to try to manufacture a false consensus. This can be done by limiting your respondent pool, by purposeful selection of language in your questions, and even by the way you present the data afterward.

When it comes to word choice in polling, any kind of nuance, explanatory language, or use of adjectives can be used to nudge people towards certain selections. This is why better polls tend to use numbered rankings or 'yes/no' questions, because otherwise you are absolutely going to bias the responses you receive. In the responses listed above, for instance, a false dichotomy is being established in each; either China must pay, or, China is not responsible. Most people believe that China mismanaged their response to at least some effect, so they will tend to err in favor of payment, as it's the option that asserts some kind of responsibility. The next question assumes the response must be tougher or softer; besides the loaded language Americans have been taught to respond to since the 80's with 'tough on crime' laws, this assumes that the current response MUST be inappropriate. If the response is inappropriate, and you believe China did something wrong somewhere, then respondents will tend to err on 'tougher'. The third question is similarly loaded, and similarly proposes a false, uh, trichotomy.

E: My poll construction skills are wildly out of date and based on minoring in psychology, so uh, grain of salt and all that

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, so, polling is an art and a science and it turns out that it's really incredibly easy to manipulate the results of your poll to try to manufacture a false consensus. This can be done by limiting your respondent pool, by purposeful selection of language in your questions, and even by the way you present the data afterward.

When it comes to word choice in polling, any kind of nuance, explanatory language, or use of adjectives can be used to nudge people towards certain selections. This is why better polls tend to use numbered rankings or 'yes/no' questions, because otherwise you are absolutely going to bias the responses you receive. In the responses listed above, for instance, a false dichotomy is being established in each; either China must pay, or, China is not responsible. Most people believe that China mismanaged their response to at least some effect, so they will tend to err in favor of payment, as it's the option that asserts some kind of responsibility. The next question assumes the response must be tougher or softer; besides the loaded language Americans have been taught to respond to since the 80's with 'tough on crime' laws, this assumes that the current response MUST be inappropriate. If the response is inappropriate, and you believe China did something wrong somewhere, then respondents will tend to err on 'tougher'. The third question is similarly loaded, and similarly proposes a false, uh, trichotomy.

E: My poll construction skills are wildly out of date and based on minoring in psychology, so uh, grain of salt and all that

Your points on the 1st and 3rd questions are good, especially the weaselly language with responsibility in the 1st question. It should be noted however that the 2nd question provides a "same" option which Paracaidas did not include (unless somehow we were looking at different questions):

Besides that I agree.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It was hard to keep track in all the primarychat happening in here, but did y'all discuss the CDC advising essential workers who have been "exposed to" Covid-19 to go back to work if they are asymptomatic? Which was announced the same day it came out the feds are cutting off funds for testing?

My head is spinning, isn't this why we are all in stay-at-home orders under the assumption we are positive and asymptomatic? And what the gently caress is up with the blip in here about Kansas lifting the large gatherings restriction. Does it go back in place next week, or are they just trying to gently caress everyone over for Easter?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

drat trump might win just by campaigning against China

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Uncle Wemus posted:

drat trump might win just by campaigning against China

Nah, he needs more than that. To get the GOP crowd out you have to stoke the fear fire, and constantly bitching about China and doing nothing won't be enough. He's already got the anti-China racism in the bag anyways despite the fact that that block are the ones being moved into fridge boxes under overpasses because their farms went bust

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chrisbergPOVNOW/status/1247680994821509121?s=20
Trump is going to go after states accusing them of inflating their numbers soon because the only people he listens to are chuds and their conspiracies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I don't blame the Bernie campaign for that. I think their fatal mistake came after Nevada when they didn't try to get any "mainstream" Dems on board to send a message to voters that he was a more acceptable front runner.

I think he tried. They just had their marching orders. They all viewed Bernie as a challenge to their power and where they fit into the hierarchy.