Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I wouldn't say ruined. We still have the original that while flawed and not perfect it's still it's own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And it's incredibly accessible, you can buy it on any platform

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tbf it was ruined the second they decided to go with a lovely real-time battle system instead of making it atb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love the combat system. It really shines on hard except for the obligatory camera problems.

The trainyard is the biggest offender. Really fun bosses but sometimes the lock on fucks you out of being able to see where attacks will land and you get hit on the cheap.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
"Why couldn't Nomura just STAY AWAY NOT RUIN THIS PROJECT?!" They cry, to the man who was forcefully removed from the project he wanted to do, to be placed at the head of this one. When he, along with almost everyone else, was the original staff on FF7.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
You don't need to come riding on your shining horse to the aid of a paid professional at the top of one of the largest game developers in the world. I'm sure he was literally forced to head up the remake with the other option being dismissal and ruin.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If nothing else, the time ghosts and altering timelines provide a readymade excuse for any crazy DLC they want to do. Will also be a shame if we don’t get some sort of time ghost optional superboss at some point, like a new Weapon boss or something.

you know what time it is?

you know it :unsmigghh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JBP posted:

I love the combat system.

i absolutely fuckin hate it, a lot

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The combat system is straight up incredible and something is shattered in your mind that can’t be fixed if you think it’s bad

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RevolverDivider posted:

The combat system is straight up incredible and something is shattered in your mind that can’t be fixed if you think it’s bad

i hate real-time battle systems in jrpgs, period, always, no exceptions.

jrpgs are games i play when i want to slow things down and relax. they're slow burns. i hate that final fantasy abandoned atb and it's the main reason i never got back into the series after 8.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 9, 2020

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The only changes I would make to the battle system is that 1. You should always retain lock-on if an enemy disappears and then reappears and 2. If you use a 2 bar ATB skill it should be really loving hard to interrupt it unlike now where a baby tap will send Aeris flying while she spends 10 minutes saying "amen" or whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why does everyone blame everything on Nomura when Nojima is the head writer and responsible for writing such things as, y'know, Advent loving Children

This has Advent Children written all over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So having finished the game, the core idea of FFVII Remake is basically this: "You know what happens in the story and so there is no real tension."

The entire game spends its time setting up tension of "wait, IS something going to change?" and then it is forced back on track in intentionally crappy feeling ways. The game genuinely wants you to think Wedge or Jessie can survive or that maybe Barret's death was genuinely going to stick.

The ending, as ridiculously anime as it is, is basically going "hey, we've stopped that. poo poo is off the rails. You can no longer assure characters will live/die based on if they did in the original. The end goal of the characters is the same but there is no longer any assurance that characters will survive or succeed because they did in the original."

And while I was kind of iffy on it at first it honestly makes me more excited for the second part, assuming they take the same care and effort as they did with this part. I don't expect them to go full crazytown but I do think they'll twist things in interesting ways. Aerith living OR dying both feel possible at this point and that's kind of interesting. I would be annoyed if they were going off into crazytown but the ending makes it clear they're still going on the same journey but without the assurance of success.

Basically Nomura watched Rebuild of Evangelion and went "yes, that."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

really this game has written a lot of loving checks and we're going to be waiting a few years to see if they bounce or not

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

Why does everyone blame everything on Nomura when Nojima is the head writer and responsible for writing such things as, y'know, Advent loving Children

This has Advent Children written all over it.

Same reason he's blamed for Dirge of Cerberus when the only thing he did on that game was character design.

Because people have brain damage and no ability to actually process anything more complex than "MAN I HATE BAD"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

really this game has written a lot of loving checks and we're going to be waiting a few years to see if they bounce or not

It has but honestly FF7R hit so many notes well that it earned my faith.

It has a strong base to build on but it was faithful to a degree I never expected while still managing to flesh things out. All the characters still feel like the characters. The absurd blend of dead serious drama and inexplicably humor is still there. They use lines from the original but flesh out enough around them that they feel meaningful. Wedge, Biggs and Jessie go from those random guys I barely remembered to characters I was rooting for to survive. Don Corneo is still a creepy craven coward but you get a few glimpses of why exactly he's feared as well. The Turks are lovely company men who come up with justifications for their awful actions after the fact and you can see both why they do it and why it might not sit well with them.

If the game just ended right after the Motorball fight it would have been anticlimatic but otherwise above and beyond what I could have expected from a FF7 Remake. The last 5% of the game is batshit insane anime but at very least they have shown they have a really good grasp on exactly what made FF7 feel special. If the entire rest of the game leading up to that had been any less pitch perfect I would have called the ending game-ruining but as it stands it actually earned my trust by feeling like the game I played so many years ago.

Like say what you want about the insane anime poo poo, the game hits so many notes well. Like they hit Cloud perfectly mixing confidence and being a dork in equal measure in a way I genuinely thought Square-Enix had forgotten existed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 9, 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Onmi posted:

Same reason he's blamed for Dirge of Cerberus when the only thing he did on that game was character design.

Because people have brain damage and no ability to actually process anything more complex than "MAN I HATE BAD"

I mean to be fair the character design for dirge is awful, easily Nomura's worst

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Calaveron posted:

I mean to be fair the character design for dirge is awful, easily Nomura's worst

he was just making sure that the character design appropriately matched the quality of everything else in the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also this is probably my favorite moment in the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My main thing in RPGs beyond the story is if I like spending time with the characters. I really like these characters a lot and the extra interactions were all pretty good.

I'm one of the people that rates FFXV as a top tier game because they managed to make a friend simulator and it was just so pleasant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

My main thing in RPGs beyond the story is if I like spending time with the characters. I really like these characters a lot and the extra interactions were all pretty good.

I'm one of the people that rates FFXV as a top tier game because they managed to make a friend simulator and it was just so pleasant.

Yeah like... honestly FFVIIR works for me because the cast is immensely endearing. I don't know who they got to translate this one but I hope to go they keep them on staff because they nailed it.

But the big reason I'm okay with how it ends is because I like these characters. I am perfectly glad to spend another game with them even if it goes into weird places plotwise because at the end of the day even if it goes full insanity as long as the character writing remains as solid and strong I'll be there for the latest Wild Ride.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just FYI everything online seems to claim you can regain mp at benches on hard, but you can't. You need to ration your mp for the entire chapter and sometimes it takes planning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Just FYI everything online seems to claim you can regain mp at benches on hard, but you can't. You need to ration your mp for the entire chapter and sometimes it takes planning.

You'll probably want to use the weapons that naturally regen MP for whoever your mage is (probably Aerith or Cloud in my experience) and of course Aerith better be sucking MP from anything that gets staggered. Hardest parts will probably be the parts without her. Thankfully the Shinra Combat Simulator allows you to bring her in.

Edit: Also Prayer. Do not sleep on Prayer. I made Tifa my default healer for a while because she builds ATB so quickly and Prayer is a massive free AoE heal.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Finished the game and echoing a lot of semtiments expressed above on how hopeful I am for the next part. The characters were fun and despite all the anime the direction the end took had me hooked.

Combat system beat my expectations but hard is brutal and I dunno if I can finish the whole game like this a second time for the trophy. There's some bothersome quirks with the camera and the menus are, I think, insanely atrocious. Not expecting any patches to fix these issues however.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God I'm so loving excited to play this game

I'm also just kind of nervous for the inevitable purist backlash explosion. I get the feeling it's going to be pretty wild and not necessarily in a fun way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also the J-E-N-O-V-A arrangement in this is so loving good

I'm not linking it because honestly I sorta regret listening to it out of context but if you want it it's easy to find

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

You'll probably want to use the weapons that naturally regen MP for whoever your mage is (probably Aerith or Cloud in my experience) and of course Aerith better be sucking MP from anything that gets staggered. Hardest parts will probably be the parts without her. Thankfully the Shinra Combat Simulator allows you to bring her in.

Edit: Also Prayer. Do not sleep on Prayer. I made Tifa my default healer for a while because she builds ATB so quickly and Prayer is a massive free AoE heal.

Yeah you basically must have prayer and regen. If you're running a couple of hp up materia chakra becomes excellent as well since it's flat 40% of damage healed. Reprieve weapons are extremely useful too.

Big magic character with an all heal also nullifies it a bit. Big magic can do anything. I murked hard Abzu with no issues by dropping firaga on it from everyone. It didn't get a chance to push me. If a fight drags on and the enemies get the jump on you it's hard. Like the failed test thing under sector 7 feels impossible if it gets barriers on the little dudes and they can all cast their spells, but if you annihilate them immediately with all blizzara it's really easy.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 9, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah my thoughts exactly. While in Kingdom Hearts it's fun to see what crazy bullshit he'll pull out of his rear end, seeing him doing the same crap in other games has become annoying.

Cause the higher ups at SE forced him to direct this after he had repeatedly said he didnt want to do it cause it wasnt his game.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yet none of his games have been on time or on budget.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

Yet none of his games have been on time or on budget.

Uh, what?

Nomura is actually extremely good at getting games out on time and for reasonable budgets. Almost everything he has directed has come out relatively quickly. Versus XIII did not but Versus XIII was all kinds of a behind the scenes clusterfuck.

Part of the reason they want Nomura on this stuff is because when poo poo isn't all kinds of hosed up with their workflow he actually gets games out. A major problem with Versus XIII wasn't Nomura but the entire Square-Enix bullshit because Nomura was still regularly directing and releasing games at the time, just not Versus XIII.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 9, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, something I just realized because I am going through original FF7 Aerith never gets to Gast's house, which is right after where she dies. If she doesn't die, and now I suspect she won't, she'll go to the home of her father and mother. And I don't see them NOT milking that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Onmi posted:

So, something I just realized because I am going through original FF7 Aerith never gets to Gast's house, which is right after where she dies. If she doesn't die, and now I suspect she won't, she'll go to the home of her father and mother. And I don't see them NOT milking that.

Thanks I hate it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still think Aerith's gonna die at some point in the remake series. I think they'll fake us out and it'll happen in an unexpected and maybe extra tragic way but I bet it'll happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I still think Aerith's gonna die at some point in the remake series. I think they'll fake us out and it'll happen in an unexpected and maybe extra tragic way but I bet it'll happen.

Honestly I kind of expect this too. By setting it up so that Aerith can possibly survive you make it super expected.

A major thing with the whole "Remake" thing is that FF7 had a Good End. Sephiroth for whatever reason appears to be the one pushing for a do-over because it means he can succeed. The protagonists don't have a clear idea of what they're throwing away while Sephiroth at least seems to have some idea.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I kind of expect this too. By setting it up so that Aerith can possibly survive you make it super expected.

A major thing with the whole "Remake" thing is that FF7 had a Good End. Sephiroth for whatever reason appears to be the one pushing for a do-over because it means he can succeed. The protagonists don't have a clear idea of what they're throwing away while Sephiroth at least seems to have some idea.

Of course Aeris will die. The twist will be that Tifa also dies, pushed under Aeris right as she is impaled for the double yakitori. And then Cloud will finally be free to elope with Sephiroth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

Yeah some triple fakeout is going to happen and teach a lesson about destiny and loving things up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was so mad when Aeris died in the original because she was my primary healer and magician. Losing her made the game more difficult. It was a cool thing tbh.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I can see a Chrono Cross time travel bullshit going on, with Sephiroth/Jenova travelling back in time to try and change things, and the Planet sending the Whispers/Watchman of Fate to make sure everything stays on course.

Aerith not dieing will mean Holy is never cast. RIP

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

lezard_valeth posted:

I can see a Chrono Cross time travel bullshit going on, with Sephiroth/Jenova travelling back in time to try and change things, and the Planet sending the Whispers/Watchman of Fate to make sure everything stays on course.

Aerith not dieing will mean Holy is never cast. RIP

Imagine thinking that you need Holy to stop a meteor from blowing up the planet. It's like this guy has never even heard about the power of friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I am convinced most of the people on this forum have no idea who Tetsuya Nomura is