Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

buttchugging adderall posted:

Not to rag on you but there's two ways to interpret this:

1. Your coworkers are monumentally incompetent, lazy, or a combination of both.

2. You wrote very obtuse code that was nearly impossible to figure out to anybody else.

Not saying that I know which one it is, because I don't, but some introspection might be in order.

If you'd read his earlier posts you'd know which is the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

Did you ever have a system in place where you gave people remote APs for home worker access?

I have at least two users who complained about using VPN so they received Meraki Z3s from my former boss. Those devices are now offline because the users discovered O365 SharePoint and OneDrive did not require any special connection besides internet, which is what they should have been told in the first place...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

2. You wrote very obtuse code that was nearly impossible to figure out to anybody else.

Not saying that I know which one it is, because I don't, but some introspection might be in order.

In case you didn't read the saga when it was happening 8? months ago, this guy lives/works in Korea, appears to have been the 10x programmer of his company, and a clique of people tried to get him fired, or rather, tried to get him to quit because Korean laws make it incredibly difficult to fire someone who's been working at a company more than two years. The thread devolved into a split between A) those who saw this as him clearly being somehow an rear end in a top hat and just not recognizing it (i.e. applying American views to a Korean workplace and saying that if a group of people were trying to get him fired then clearly he had to have done something wrong), and B) those who said that Korean workplaces were not in any way similar to American ones and the cliques / ingroup thing was a billion times more important than it would be in an American workplace and thus took Aesis at his word that it was just that they didn't like him. I think there were some other factors that had triggered the whole thing, but bottom line from the information we got (which was all from Aesis, obviously), it did seem like he was the capable one and no one else at his company had a clue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

At least they're honest!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

At least they're honest!

This is the best poo poo. No bullshit, just an easily fixed issue.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

This is the best poo poo. No bullshit, just an easily fixed issue.

And it's for several days in the future, instead of coming in as urgent first thing Monday morning.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that's downright pleasant

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Lumber mills are bad places to show up to work if can't keep your poo poo together.

That would be more relevant if drug tests didn't say on Thursday what you did last Saturday night.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That would be more relevant if drug tests didn't say on Thursday what you did last Saturday night.

Too bad for them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

just lol if you're not doing drugs constantly during the apocalypse

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Too bad for them.

So just abandoning the "not a class traitor" thing, then? If you're not messed up on the job, it's none of the company's business.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So just abandoning the "not a class traitor" thing, then? If you're not messed up on the job, it's none of the company's business.

I’m not sure that calling someone’s wife a class traitor unironically is very nice, but if you absolutely must can you do it in DnD or CSPAM with the rest of the shrieking ball of rage that is this forum’s politics?

Here’s something currently pissing me off.

20% of my company is going to be laid off in the next few weeks, nobody knows who and SLT isn’t saying poo poo. So we’re all just working under a vague cloud of impending doom.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m not sure that calling someone’s wife a class traitor unironically is very nice, but if you absolutely must can you do it in DnD or CSPAM with the rest of the shrieking ball of rage that is this forum’s politics?

20% of my company is going to be laid off in the next few weeks, nobody knows who and SLT isn’t saying poo poo. So we’re all just working under a vague cloud of impending doom.
I'm willing to bet the layoffs have already been determined so everyone should just stop working.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm willing to bet the layoffs have already been determined so everyone should just stop working.

100%

It’s really fun to place internal bets

And by really fun I mean extremely hosed

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I’ll go with option 1, seeing as first dude (who ran away) I handed my work over understood without problem. Also web dev had no problems looking at the code to study the logics and implementing on her side (did leave quite a while ago), so I don’t see why it would be hard to understand. New devs didn’t even ask me so that’s on them.

Edit: COVID-19 is turning all my interviews into video conference calls. I’d rather be face to face but that’s just me.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo pissing me off: Recruiters

"I cannot divulge that information since it depends on experience and skills" is not answer when I ask for a salary range for a role you approach me for.

poo poo not pissing me off: Quitting my job last my month, not having to play nice with my former manager or HR/legal/security was very cathartic.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The Iron Rose posted:

Anytime a company announces layoffs before they actually do it, I stop working and spend my time looking for new work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I wasn't the one to bring the term into play, and yeah, it's not very nice. OTOH if the majority of your business revolves around helping companies invade the personal lives of their employees, you're going to catch some poo poo. And his response of "too bad for them" shows he doesn't really care about what the testing is supposed to be doing.

I've been generally trying to cut people slack recently because about 90% of the world is on edge more than usual and the other 10% isn't taking this as seriously as they should be, but I'm still comfortable in saying gently caress the drug testing industry unless their tests only show whether someone is currently intoxicated.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

A little compassion goes a long way. We’re all going through some crazy poo poo, I think it would be nice if we could focus on that shared humanity for a bit rather than fighting over who’s evil and doesn’t deserve kindness.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 10, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Never mind

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 10, 2020

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

porkface posted:

Anytime a company announces layoffs before they actually do it, I stop working and spend my time looking for new work.

‘Please leave before we start kicking people out!’

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

A little compassion goes a long way. We’re all going through some crazy poo poo, I think it would be nice if we could focus on that shared humanity for a bit rather than fighting over who’s evil and doesn’t deserve kindness.

I don't see where you're getting any of that out of what I said. I do have a tendency to come across as an rear end in a top hat over text, and I made my original posts after a long day ending a long week, so maybe I came across as meaner than intended, but what I saw was him justifying the drug tests, me pointing out that they didn't work like he was inferring they did, and him saying he didn't care.

Pissing me off: I picked up two extra days and stayed late an extra 20 hours to cover for a guy with COVID and my pay check is still pretty much the same as it was before the pay cut. At least I get a day off next week since the other guy I was covering for, that didn't have COVID but did have a family emergency, is back and will be able to cover for me on that day.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Argh please learn the basics of the architecture of the applications you support. Don't loving cycle tickets over to deskside support when the error message is clearly happening on the Citrix application server and has nothing to do with the client the user happens to be sitting at. Also don't put "Citrix" in the ticket subject when the error has nothing to do with Citrix, it's an error in the application that just happens to be published via Citrix.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Employer:
"We're in this for the long haul, we are still dedicated to our new business campus in this city where we will still be hiring 2500 extra people. This is a marathon and not a sprint. We are not in this for the short term. Thank you for all your help during this covid19 crisis."

Also employer:
"Projects that need to be slowed down or de-prioritised will result in redundancies shortly."

Line manager:
"Our project might get cancelled. But I won't know for a month or so. Please don't start applying for other jobs yet, we still need you. I'll let you know next month if you need to."

Sure, I'll do exactly that!

Sent off my first job application yesterday.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Internet and phones for our entire HQ just went down.

Apparently our fiber crews are doing some splicing just outside the building.

Nobody in NOC knew what was happening until it happened.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Garrand posted:

Internet and phones for our entire HQ just went down.

Apparently our fiber crews are doing some splicing just outside the building.

I think you've got an extra "p" in there.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

i'm in

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Or an extra "L".

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/06/spice-zombie-drug-devastating-communities

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I guess I'm the poo poo pissing me off. A WFH incident left me a sticky key on my laptop, so found a video on popping the key off and set about cleaning it with some alcohol. Except I'm afraid that some small part of the plastic hinge assembly or whatever it's called snapped, so now the key won't go back. Now I have to figure out how our parent company handles warranty requests while I deal with a nub of shame.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don't jerk off on your work laptop.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I guess I'm the poo poo pissing me off. A WFH incident left me a sticky key on my laptop, so found a video on popping the key off and set about cleaning it with some alcohol. Except I'm afraid that some small part of the plastic hinge assembly or whatever it's called snapped, so now the key won't go back. Now I have to figure out how our parent company handles warranty requests while I deal with a nub of shame.

Without knowing what you have, I did have a similar problem on a toshiba

A tiny metal triangle got bent and so the first time I pushed down, I bent it completely and the triangle folded under itself. Instead of clipping around a plastic rod, the rod mashed it down. So, the key could never get clicked back into place or held there.

I needed to bend it back out with a screwdriver first.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Don't jerk off on your work laptop.
More like don't work next to a toddler eating orange slices.

Shut up Meg posted:

Without knowing what you have, I did have a similar problem on a toshiba

A tiny metal triangle got bent and so the first time I pushed down, I bent it completely and the triangle folded under itself. Instead of clipping around a plastic rod, the rod mashed it down. So, the key could never get clicked back into place or held there.

I needed to bend it back out with a screwdriver first.
HP Elitebook. No metal to bend, just two bits of plastic that work with the nub to create a kind of spring. At least I can still use the key but boy what a bad time to break it

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Rip. You probably snapped the plastic hinge part. If you can’t get the button replaced then you need to replace the whole keyboard, but getting whole keyboard replaced isn’t too expensive though. Keyboard for laptop is just a separate slab piece that has its wiring clipped into motherboard.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LawfulWaffle posted:

More like don't work next to a toddler eating orange slices.

HP Elitebook. No metal to bend, just two bits of plastic that work with the nub to create a kind of spring. At least I can still use the key but boy what a bad time to break it

Probably a good time to use an external keyboard from walmart/ebay/whatever for the next few weeks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aesis posted:

Rip. You probably snapped the plastic hinge part. If you can’t get the button replaced then you need to replace the whole keyboard, but getting whole keyboard replaced isn’t too expensive though. Keyboard for laptop is just a separate slab piece that has its wiring clipped into motherboard.

Replacing the keyboard is super easy. When our Repair team trains new techs, the keyboard is the first repair they get put to. Just don't be rough opening the connectors for the cables and you'll be fine. If you can't find manuals or have any trouble, hit me up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone else dealt with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure? It seems like weekly our monitoring fucks up and sends off dozens (or hundreds!) of false alarms for stuff hosted on there, but the VMs and other virtualized crap aren't actually going down at all. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with it, because I'm wondering if it's our monitoring implementation that's hosed up or if Oracle's module that allows for monitoring is dogshit.

This is the second time tonight that I've gotten a bunch of alerts for false alarms and I'm getting really loving sick of it, which is why I'm posting in this thread.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

mllaneza posted:

Replacing the keyboard is super easy. When our Repair team trains new techs, the keyboard is the first repair they get put to. Just don't be rough opening the connectors for the cables and you'll be fine. If you can't find manuals or have any trouble, hit me up.

I appreciate it but it’s still covered by its super warranty so I’m not going to deal with it. I might dig out an old usb keyboard though for the interim. The new problem is that there are two HP warranty sites, one that acknowledges my serial number and product I’d, and one that doesn’t. The one that does just tells me that I’m still covered, the one that doesn’t is probably the one that can actually get the repair job started.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LawfulWaffle posted:

I appreciate it but it’s still covered by its super warranty so I’m not going to deal with it. I might dig out an old usb keyboard though for the interim. The new problem is that there are two HP warranty sites, one that acknowledges my serial number and product I’d, and one that doesn’t. The one that does just tells me that I’m still covered, the one that doesn’t is probably the one that can actually get the repair job started.

HP's service websites are all kinds of hosed up. Good luck !

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got so frustrated with cisco ucm's schedule management that I wrote a puppeteer script to do the changes for me.

ucm is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm starting to hit that phase of WFH where you just have no initiative to do anything unless it's fix/break. Bosses won't roll out anything new to do and try to keep us busy with poo poo that rely on other people so it's a waiting game.