Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fuligin posted:

So are warden and necromancer Fun and Good? I've also got a leveled nightblade from a year or two back, are there any good sites/resources for how they play nowadays?

https://alcasthq.com/

Anyone who posts a Xynode link here deserves to be reported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

stone giant is now a stamina spammable or something, and yet still no true stam whip rip

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Everyone should be invited to both main and decon guild at this point.

Except for the EU guy who I can't help.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ok having some time to play with it i will say i am actually really enjoying the new stone giant as a spammable

it hits hard and has great effects and feels thematically in line with DK just being a fire/earth class and slamming the ground staggering everything and tossing flaming rocks knocking stuff down is pretty cool

definitely cooler than last i played and the direction seemed to be "spam vomit breath"

not poison damage though but eh

having flame of oblivion, obsidian shield, and stone giant all up swirling around does look cool though

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I just picked this up on sale and started playing for the first time. I am having major class indecision though and have some questions.

1) How hard is it to respec from magika to stamina on a character?

2) Is respeccing from dps to healer to pvp builds on one character an easy thing to do? Or do most people have multiple characters for different roles?

3) I've heard that magika necro is really bad in pvp? Is that true or are they just not flavor of the month so everyone is exaggerating?

4) Is stamina warden healing an actual thing or not really? If I wanted to solo stamina and heal some dungeons as stamina would I get booted from the group?

5) Can you tank with a pure stamina build or do you need to respec and actually put points into health?

6) Are there any classes that have fun magika dps, can dungeon heal, and are good in pvp that aren't Templar?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
1) Very easy - but then you need to level up skills for whatever you haven't done before. Once you level them up you can respec multiple times simply by paying gold.

2) Most people have separate pvp characters if they do it often and properly simply because gold costs are annoying, changing gear, selecting all the spells etc are annoying. Can be done but takes longer etc.

3) Magcro is decent, but there are other better classes right now.

4) You can stamina heal in dungeons (unless someone is doing achievement runs etc and wants to be anal). You won't be able to stamina heal in trials etc as a healer, but you can be a dps running some heals.

5) You can tank on no hp builds easily. But most groups running trials will ask their tanks to be proper tanks. In dungeons etc you'll be fine.

6) Magsorc, magblade etc.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Go with dark elf as your race, they do well as both stamina and magicka characters since they get the same bonuses towards both play styles, a spell/weapon dmg increase and a magicka/stamina increase.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Any of the DLC worth buying? Orisinium? Apart from the base game I got Morrowind, Somerset & Elsweyr.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Orsinium has Maelstrom Arena, which is still probably the best endgame solo content, but I've always felt iffy about the main Orsinium quest and region because it's so sprawling and inconvenient to navigate that it just feels tedious. Maybe not something to get now, but definitely to get later.

Murkmire and Thieves' Guild are my favorite small chapter DLCs.

None of the dungeon DLCs are worthwhile until you're C160.

Unless you're absolutely dead-set against subscribing, it's better and cheaper to subscribe than to buy the DLCs separately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What if you subscribe, do the dlc zones, and then unsubscribe? Any negative effects?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
You won't be able to access those regions anymore, but otherwise no. You can still use any equipment or whatever that came from the DLC areas.

There are also quite a few cosmetic items you permanently unlock just by traveling to DLC areas/dungeons, which you can do while you're subscribed. Like, Moon Hunter Keep is one of the hardest DLC dungeons you're not going to want to do for some time, but be sure to port there once to get your pimp hat.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

GreenNight posted:

What if you subscribe, do the dlc zones, and then unsubscribe? Any negative effects?

Crafting bag withdrawal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rollersnake posted:

You won't be able to access those regions anymore, but otherwise no. You can still use any equipment or whatever that came from the DLC areas.

There are also quite a few cosmetic items you permanently unlock just by traveling to DLC areas/dungeons, which you can do while you're subscribed. Like, Moon Hunter Keep is one of the hardest DLC dungeons you're not going to want to do for some time, but be sure to port there once to get your pimp hat.

I'm CP350 and I've never used the crafting bag. Ask me much gold I've spent increase bag and bank space.

Thanks for the info though!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Clockwork City seems interesting so far. I subbed and was excited for Murkmire as an Argonian. By the time I got the Hero of Murkmire achievement, I was done with that zone for a long time. I think it was the hard-to-avoid fights that would happen because the monsters were so well hidden in the weeds. But those drat Broodmother bugs has to be the worst, most annoying enemy I've had to fight in the game so far.
Just doing a slow, casual tour of Clockwork, enjoying the lore.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

morrowind then diving into clockwork city is probably the best content arc in the game imo, especially if you like tes3

thieves guild and dark brotherhood are probably my other favorites, if only cause the story is very "local" and low stakes. you're basically there to be a member of the guild and not out saving the world or anything, but you do have to be morally gray (thieves guild) or a bad person (db) for either of those so ymmv depending on how you play

orsinium is a big chapter sized dlc on its own

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was thinking I’d probably save thieves guild and dark brotherhood for an alt. I can’t imagine getting into those when I think of my nord as a more upstanding sort of treasure hunter.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I was thinking I’d probably save thieves guild and dark brotherhood for an alt. I can’t imagine getting into those when I think of my nord as a more upstanding sort of treasure hunter.

I made a Nightblade just to edgelord all over these quests. It's been fun stealing everything and stabbing people who definitely didn't deserve it. I've used the ill-gotten gains to fund my other characters.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It's too bad that one of my favorite passive abilities is deep down the dark brotherhood skill line. Shadow Rider unlocks at rank 7, and greatly decreases the aggression radius from mobs while mounted.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

g0del posted:

It's too bad that one of my favorite passive abilities is deep down the dark brotherhood skill line. Shadow Rider unlocks at rank 7, and greatly decreases the aggression radius from mobs while mounted.

Goddamn that’s too good to pass up.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If you like dialogue changing based on your video game choices, definitely do Dark Brotherhood or at least join it before doing Murkmire. A couple of quests react to you being a sithis worshipper in a land of sithis worshippers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

new content usually considers old content pretty well and you'll get a bunch of different hooks usually depending if you met someone before or did this or that

older content though, ehhh it gets pretty dodgy especially the old vanilla stuff

i have no idea how well doing elsweyr, or dragonguard or upcoming greymoor gel skipping the entire OG main story and doing it after. i think i heard at elsweyrs release they redid some lines to account for it but i never actually bothered to go through the work to look myself

this is why they should give people the option to pick tutorials/starting areas, and also probably some in game story progression guide cause a lot of the dlc can be kind of done in any sequence but some stuff (morrowind>clockwork city>summerset) probably gets real weird if you do in reverse

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah I was pretty happy to hear things like "I know you're Altmer, but you're new to the island, so..." in Summerset. Was a big difference from the Morrowind quests largely ignoring the fact that I was a Dunmer.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah I was pretty happy to hear things like "I know you're Altmer, but you're new to the island, so..." in Summerset. Was a big difference from the Morrowind quests largely ignoring the fact that I was a Dunmer.

always an outlander, never a bride

there is quite a bit of dialogue in vvardenfel particularly with silt strider guides that say whew, thank almsivi youre a dunmer and not a outlander so im not sure what youre talking about

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Invite please
NA @Ankarl

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Berke Negri posted:

always an outlander, never a bride

there is quite a bit of dialogue in vvardenfel particularly with silt strider guides that say whew, thank almsivi youre a dunmer and not a outlander so im not sure what youre talking about

I’ve barely run into it, but then again I don’t really take the silt striders because way shrines exist. At least in the main quest everyone seemed to act like I was a filthy Imperial.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

DB and TG lines are very fun. Lower stakes than “save the world” and I love how they turn cities into play spaces with risks and obstacles.

I still need to knock out the Clockwork City quest line at some point. Just don’t love the biome - all kinda tan (intentional, but not thrilling). Maybe I just need to make an outfit that gets me In The Mood

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Doctor Zero posted:

I’ve barely run into it, but then again I don’t really take the silt striders because way shrines exist. At least in the main quest everyone seemed to act like I was a filthy Imperial.

yeah its been a a couple years since ive run the whole thing on a dunmer, i just remember silt striders specifically give you a lot less poo poo

now summerset i remember running the PTS as a high elf and doing it straight as a dunmer on release and people are waaaaayyy more racist to you in summerset not being a high elf

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

If I plan to play what looks cool, how can I build my character to be one that is both very capable in melee combat, extremely capable at stealing (if stealing is as cool as it is in other TES games), and has some fun mobility skills?

Sounds like the assassin/thief archetype I guess, but I also really appreciate being strong defensively instead of a glass cannon-type.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Nightblade is gonna be the most straightforward answer to that Q. They’re the only class with straight-up invisibility which is super helpful for stealing and sneaking past enemies. They get some very fun damage options, and between the class’s self-heals and defensive spells from other skill lines you can survive a hell of a lot.

Mobility wise, they lack the free-aim blink of Sorcs but they have a teleport strike that’s really fun, and several other skill lines offer charge/engage moves as well. You can also juice up your dodge roll with a few perks to make it more powerful.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Agree. Nightblades aren’t glass cannon more like Pyrex or obsidian.

E: and there’s no reason you can’t wear heavy armor.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah you can always splice in heavy armor or a few defensive skills to get more durable. Lately I’m using the Psijic meditation ability and shield passive for that with Combat Physician set. Enough incidental shielding that I usually have some kind of barrier up.

E: NBs also have Veil Of Blades which is a wonderful AOE that protects you and friends while shredding bad dudes.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 9, 2020

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Is magsorc healer bad? I'm trying to think of things to do with my magsorc now that I know I don't particularly like magsorc dps.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Degs posted:

Is magsorc healer bad? I'm trying to think of things to do with my magsorc now that I know I don't particularly like magsorc dps.

Can be decent if you do it right, not as solid as templar or warden but still pretty up there. Bird heal is ridiculously strong.

However, we probably have differing opinions on what exactly it means to heal.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Probably, I'm still suuuuper new to the game, the sorc is the only 50 I have. Just reading through the thread and what not my main concerns in ESO healing would be people missing mechanics and the general sustained damage, which seems like pretty basic healing stuff. Not like WoW / SWTOR healing but more akin to GW2 healing.

But do Warden/Templar have better class-based tools for that? Or I guess they have buffs sorcs don't have or...something, not sure. I see in here and on poo poo like reddit people do all the content with a magsorc healer but wasn't sure if I'd be gimping myself. The other option is to make it a stamina dps but I assume I'd want to race change away from Breton if I did that.

Degs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 9, 2020

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Am I right in thinking that once I hit 50 I'll still have quests to do to earn Champion Points or whatever they are called? I've been jumping around a lot and sometimes purposefully leaving quests in area's because I want to come back and do them. I'm loving the exploration and freedom of this game! I'm sure all the quests I haven't done still remain active right?

I saw some guild chat a few nights ago about running through some lower level dungeons and unfortunately I couldn't (was helping family in between quests). I really want to start doing some with you guys and learning that part of the game.

I'm now level 36, haven't followed any guides, just enjoying my journey!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Essential posted:

Am I right in thinking that once I hit 50 I'll still have quests to do to earn Champion Points or whatever they are called? I've been jumping around a lot and sometimes purposefully leaving quests in area's because I want to come back and do them. I'm loving the exploration and freedom of this game! I'm sure all the quests I haven't done still remain active right?

None of the the quests go away and will scale to you current level. Think of this game as having 210 levels with Champion Points being levels 51 through 210. Gear maxes out at CP level 160 which can be reached quickly using the XP boost scrolls when turning quests or doing you daily random dungeon. After CP160 you can still earn spendable CP all the way up to CP 810 but that is a very long term goal. Just focus getting up to CP 160 and go from there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking of starting a new character. If I missed Elsweyr, I"m guessing the best way to approach this is to buy Greymoor and then sub right?

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

MH Knights posted:

None of the the quests go away and will scale to you current level. Think of this game as having 210 levels with Champion Points being levels 51 through 210. Gear maxes out at CP level 160 which can be reached quickly using the XP boost scrolls when turning quests or doing you daily random dungeon. After CP160 you can still earn spendable CP all the way up to CP 810 but that is a very long term goal. Just focus getting up to CP 160 and go from there.

Got it, thanks for the info!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I just hit 50 last night and realized.... I guess I have to do quests and hunt skyshards to get skill points now?? :shrug:

Also the champion point system opens up a whole new world of analysis paralysis :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Eso is fun until I come across a whiny male wood elf and I always just wanna smash his face in.

I play as an Orc Werewolf BTW.

First character was a high elf Templar pre One Tamriel, so I've had my fill of Grahtwood quests.