Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I can't wait to get 100 member rewards so I can proudly have thi-aaaaahaha

Sure, that's a cool hairstyle, but I recommend saving up for the sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Kheldarn posted:

Ya'll are missing something. They tell you right on those pages why:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Leather Necklace Aerith [JEWELRY]: Get 70 Members Rewards When you buy this product
FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN SILVER EARRING Tifa Lockhart [JEWELRY]: Get 40 Members Rewards When you buy this product
FINAL FANTASY VII Chronograph: Sephiroth [JEWELRY]: Get 1,300 Members Rewards When you buy this product

You can buy a single $99 earring from the Square Enix Online Store and still not earn enough Square Enix Members Reward points to redeem for a Square Enix Online Store branded lanyard

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

Sure, that's a cool hairstyle, but I recommend saving up for the sunglasses.

Speaking of which I need to decide on a new color for my hair what might go great with some ~prestige~ SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS glasses?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Elentor posted:

Speaking of which I need to decide on a new color for my hair what might go great with some ~prestige~ SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS glasses?

Stark white, going down to mid-back

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Why is this week taking so loving long aaaaaaaaaaaaa

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I legit keep thinking it’s Thursday. Also I have both the digital preloaded and a deluxe edition coming to me, because I’m a psychopath

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's been Thursday since last Tuesday. Wednesday has been canceled. Tomorrow is Sunday.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I legit keep thinking it’s Thursday. Also I have both the digital preloaded and a deluxe edition coming to me, because I’m a psychopath

I have the deluxe ordered on Amazon and I still don't even have an estimate on delivery. Why does this sound like a good idea I'm too poor to think this sounds like a good idea!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I got a shipping confirmation from Best Buy today. I keep feeling like it'll be here tomorrow since I literally live around the corner from a Best Buy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ugh got my physical copy delayed until the 14th. Considering canceling and going digital but I sorta wanted that physical artbook and soundtrack. Plus I like having a physical copy to resell after I'm done and recoup some of the cost.

Are the physical deluxe editions actually limited in any way or is gonna be something I could easily pick up at retail cost later down the line?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh got my physical copy delayed until the 14th. Considering canceling and going digital but I sorta wanted that physical artbook and soundtrack. Plus I like having a physical copy to resell after I'm done and recoup some of the cost.

Are the physical deluxe editions actually limited in any way or is gonna be something I could easily pick up at retail cost later down the line?

I’m don’t think so. I think there was a soft limit on the first class edition but I’m not sure.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I realized that Kingdom Hearts 3 didn't get ported, actually.

Isn't the thing about Kingdom Hearts is that it can't be distributed digitally because the contract of singer of its theme songs states her music must be released on physical media?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

OhFunny posted:

Isn't the thing about Kingdom Hearts is that it can't be distributed digitally because the contract of singer of its theme songs states her music must be released on physical media?

Definitely not, you can buy pretty much every KH game on the PSN store

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Definitely not, you can buy pretty much every KH game on the PSN store

Also there are KH browser/mobile games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I listened to some of the Waypoint podcast about this earlier today and they brought up how materia allows for actual build variety and it sounded pretty fun. One of them mentioned they really didn't like the materia system in the original because of how much it could homogenize the characters when everyone could do everything, but with the action combat allowing everyone to have very different moment-to-moment play, now the materia system really clicks for them. Characters still feel very distinct but you can use materia to specialize them, like one of them made Barret into a stagger master with a lot of spells, and another made him into a tank with tons of defense and the ability to take damage for nearby allies, stuff like that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sick

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Harrow posted:

I listened to some of the Waypoint podcast about this earlier today and they brought up how materia allows for actual build variety and it sounded pretty fun. One of them mentioned they really didn't like the materia system in the original because of how much it could homogenize the characters when everyone could do everything, but with the action combat allowing everyone to have very different moment-to-moment play, now the materia system really clicks for them. Characters still feel very distinct but you can use materia to specialize them, like one of them made Barret into a stagger master with a lot of spells, and another made him into a tank with tons of defense and the ability to take damage for nearby allies, stuff like that.

Yeah I watched a couple Twitch streams where a guy went from basically Chapter 3 to Chapter 13-ish in the game and the materia system in Remake is almost a complete revamp of what's in the original. Each character's weapon progression grid feeds into this, as well. They all have wayyyyy different stats from each other and get even more different as you progress, i.e. Tifa loving zooms around the screen and, if played right, can straight up avoid a lot of incoming damage just from that speed alone while also comboing the poo poo outta stuff to raise stagger, while Barret is slow as hell, naturally tanky and has really consistent low-level damage that builds up to big gently caress-off bursts. Combine those base ideas with how there's more Command and Independent materia that let you kinda play around with those factors and you can legit make each character completely different class archetypes from really early on in the game.

It's super rad.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Yeah I watched a couple Twitch streams where a guy went from basically Chapter 3 to Chapter 13-ish in the game and the materia system in Remake is almost a complete revamp of what's in the original. Each character's weapon progression grid feeds into this, as well. They all have wayyyyy different stats from each other and get even more different as you progress, i.e. Tifa loving zooms around the screen and, if played right, can straight up avoid a lot of incoming damage just from that speed alone while also comboing the poo poo outta stuff to raise stagger, while Barret is slow as hell, naturally tanky and has really consistent low-level damage that builds up to big gently caress-off bursts. Combine those base ideas with how there's more Command and Independent materia that let you kinda play around with those factors and you can legit make each character completely different class archetypes from really early on in the game.

It's super rad.

gently caress yeah, Friday get here now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This game was extremely goddamn good. I can see a bit what they meant by 'bloated' but honestly it is mostly giving more development and time to characters who lacked it and the city as a whole.

The combat system, crappy camera aside, is loving great and once you start experimenting with character builds you can do a lot of crazy things.

One thing I *extremely* appreciate is that any character can fill any role for the most part.

Like as far as healer/buffers go:

Barret is sturdy and tanky as poo poo and with his magic weapons that basically means your healer will never go down.
Aerith has the overall best magic stats and is geared towards it so she'll be good without much effort. The average.
Tifa can be a loving fantastic healer because her AP goes up like crazy. I actually made her my default healer whenever I had her in the party.
Cloud is a bit worse than Aerith but his magic based weapons also include magic-based abilities so he can still deal out respectable damage.

It is a ridiculous amount of fun and the boss battles are almost universally the best in a FF game period except maybe XIV

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Enemy Skill still ridiculously broken?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Is Enemy Skill still ridiculously broken?

No, sadly.

Based off the post-game logs there are only 4 enemy skills. The ones I got seemed... okay but not super great. Especially since one is Self-Destruct.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I really want to see speedrunners break this game over their knee in a few months. They already seem to have had a lot of fun with the demo boss, and that takes some dedication seeing as you can't even save in the demo.

Sounds like there's a lot of leverage available to players who can use the game mechanics to the fullest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

I really want to see speedrunners break this game over their knee in a few months. They already seem to have had a lot of fun with the demo boss, and that takes some dedication seeing as you can't even save in the demo.

Sounds like there's a lot of leverage available to players who can use the game mechanics to the fullest.

Yeah, the boss battles are (mostly) extremely well designed. You can brute force them but if you pay attention and learn how the mechanics for each battle work they become a lot smoother and swifter. It feels really good because once you learn what you need to do you're styling on the boss.

Generally I found that if any boss was feeling overly tanky or immobile it was because I was doing something wrong. The game really genuinely wants you to experiment and constantly swap characters. What helped me a lot was figuring out that whoever you are controlling is effectively 'tanking' the fights, with an automatic aggro generation on enemies. Once you manage this by swapping between characters more readily you can massively manipulate enemies and it feels great.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the boss battles are (mostly) extremely well designed. You can brute force them but if you pay attention and learn how the mechanics for each battle work they become a lot smoother and swifter. It feels really good because once you learn what you need to do you're styling on the boss.

Generally I found that if any boss was feeling overly tanky or immobile it was because I was doing something wrong. The game really genuinely wants you to experiment and constantly swap characters. What helped me a lot was figuring out that whoever you are controlling is effectively 'tanking' the fights, with an automatic aggro generation on enemies. Once you manage this by swapping between characters more readily you can massively manipulate enemies and it feels great.

Speaking of bosses, did the Scorpion Tank in the actual game seem any different than the demo version? On the one hand it felt a bit overtuned and most seemed to agree with that assessment. On the other I more or less felt I was done with the demo (I was sold and did not want to progress much more) and wasn't really trying by that point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of bosses, did the Scorpion Tank in the actual game seem any different than the demo version? On the one hand it felt a bit overtuned and most seemed to agree with that assessment. On the other I more or less felt I was done with the demo (I was sold and did not want to progress much more) and wasn't really trying by that point

It didn't seem much different but admittedly I knew how to fight it so I just sort of wrecked its day. I think it felt overtuned because you're learning the mechanics still and once you get Pressure and Stagger down it becomes a lot clearer.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Tomorrow might be the longest day ever

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ImpAtom posted:

Wall market boss spoiler - I couldn't figure out the ---hell house-- at all. Like I read the Assess description, but it felt like vulnerability windows were too small and I kept loving up and healing it or doing little damage. I was down to my last Phoenix Down, if I ran out I would have restarted the fight and bumped it down to Easy cause I just couldn't get the rhythm.

I've also had a few bosses where my characters would get ressed and then immediately die because they were too stupid to move out of the way I was too dumb to take control of them and get out of the way of telegraphed attacks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm actually really excited to try Hard Mode on this because the combat seems well-suited to making an actually challenging FF game. I hope they end up adding a bunch of optional Superbosses and stuff - seems like a perfect opportunity to slow-drip DLC to take some of the sting off of the wait time for Part II.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

For me... it was Thursday

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm actually really excited to try Hard Mode on this because the combat seems well-suited to making an actually challenging FF game. I hope they end up adding a bunch of optional Superbosses and stuff - seems like a perfect opportunity to slow-drip DLC to take some of the sting off of the wait time for Part II.

Hard is great. Some bosses have new moves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I seriously hope they patch in a "Classic Normal" mode later because I know I'm gonna want to try a Classic playthrough just to see the story again and it'd be nice if it wasn't totally brain dead easy

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

PancakeTransmission posted:

Wall market boss spoiler - I couldn't figure out the ---hell house-- at all. Like I read the Assess description, but it felt like vulnerability windows were too small and I kept loving up and healing it or doing little damage. I was down to my last Phoenix Down, if I ran out I would have restarted the fight and bumped it down to Easy cause I just couldn't get the rhythm.

I've also had a few bosses where my characters would get ressed and then immediately die because they were too stupid to move out of the way I was too dumb to take control of them and get out of the way of telegraphed attacks.

Y'know, when you're talking about ---hell house-- the term vulnerability windows takes on a whole new meaning in my head.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Work tomorrow will help me get through at least 8 hours of the day tomorrow. Going to just keep my head down and really focus on work to help pass the time. I am taking Friday off so I can have a 3 day weekend to play this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just bought the Regular Edition for this game because while I have some nostalgia for FFVII, I don't got 20 extra bux of cactuar nostalgia.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did cactaurs even show up on Midgar?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

stev posted:

Did cactaurs even show up on Midgar?

They did yes, on rare occasions.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 9, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

exquisite tea posted:

I just bought the Regular Edition for this game because while I have some nostalgia for FFVII, I don't got 20 extra bux of cactuar nostalgia.
Neither Cactuar or Chocobo chick are worth it alone, but the art book and mini soundtrack is pretty cool. And a steelbook with Sephiroth!

However, Cactuar and Chocobo Chick can be summoned in smaller areas compared to the main summons. They do way less damage but can still be good for getting a stagger or interrupting an enemy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
For some reason my ailing brain has only just tripped onto the fact that obviously, this game ends after Midgar, so you won't even see most of the characters.

Who do you have by that point in the original, just Barrett, Cloud, Tifa and Aerith?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And Red XIII, but he's so late game in the remake that he isn't playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Work tomorrow will help me get through at least 8 hours of the day tomorrow. Going to just keep my head down and really focus on work to help pass the time. I am taking Friday off so I can have a 3 day weekend to play this.

Same. Still gonna be a long rear end day.