Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Thats a cool design.

A much more normal design, but cool card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Friend posted:

Firefox from the product page:

Knight of the Ebon Legion

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bugsy posted:

A much more normal design, but cool card.

It’s basically a reprint of an old forecast card but way better

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s basically a reprint of an old forecast card but way better

Huh, yeah it is. Same typing as well. Worse art though.

edit - t1 hawk/sailor, t2 cat, t3 eagle is a pretty drat good curve.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 9, 2020

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Skycat doesn't have nearly as good of art as Pride of the Clouds.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Huh, yeah it is. Same typing as well. Worse art though.

edit - t1 hawk/sailor, t2 cat, t3 eagle is a pretty drat good curve.

you get your entire board wiped when you do this, please do not do this

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This seems really solid, big help with mutates potentially offering an x-for-one, both by getting back something lost in one and getting another body out when you add to one.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sampatrick posted:

you get your entire board wiped when you do this, please do not do this

no he went first and now holds a counter, it's good

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Cat bird
Whale wolf
Shark elemental
Nightmare dinosaur
Cat dinosaur
Bird bird

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I do rather like how they managed to merge in some un-mechanics for this set. I don't know how good mutate is gonna be, but it reminds me a lot of Augment. And the burn spell with trample is straight up lifted from Unstable.

For my own purposes though, I just want Rielle and the new white card that limits cards to be cast from hand only. And the cycling commander I guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
excess damage is a cool expression

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

There better be Skycat Kitten tokens Wizard. Or we'll have words.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Kurtofan posted:

oh no :ohdear:

:ohdear: :ohdear:

someone read the book and tell if the cat makes it

I read the book. The cat doesn't make it.

More details, summarizing heavily:

Lukka is a special forces soldier defending Drannith from monsters. His team gets wiped out by an unnaturally intelligent flying cat, but he is spared when he forms a bond with it. General Kudro orders him executed but he escapes with the help of Vivien, who is conveniently nearby and senses the magic of his bond.

Vivien is on Ikoria pursuing an unnamed male planeswalker who she thinks is interfering with the natural balance of the plane to make the monsters more aggressive. She and Lukka fly on the back of his magic kitty to the Ozolith to investigate. Lukka touches the Ozolith and speaks with an entity who promises him great power.

Meanwhile Jirina (Kudro's daughter and Lukka's fiancée) is dispatched to track Lukka down. She arrives at the Ozolith just as Lukka gains control of all the monsters in the area. Her team is destroyed but the flying cat saves her and brings her back to Drannith. Vivien flees and leaves Lukka amassing a monster army which he plans to bring to the city as a new protective force.

Kudro executes the cat and Lukka feels it through his bond. He realizes that if he wants to use monsters to protect Drannith then he has to kill the general and take control himself. Their armies meet outside the city for a negotiation and he stabs Kudro.

Jirina assumes command of the city and prepares for a giant monster attack. She enlists some monster bonders and Vivien in the defense. The battle is almost lost but Lukka draws too much power from the Ozolith and shatters it. The pain causes his spark to ignite and he planeswalks to a swamp. He retains some monster control powers and uses them to ensorcel some local beasts, vowing to return home.

Vivien leaves Ikoria to continue following her adversary who messed with the crystals. I am not familiar enough with her story to know if there were enough hints to his identity or if it's supposed to be a mystery. I'm going to go with the comedy option and assume it's Tibalt.

Of note, no other characters from legendary cards appear, including none of the apex monsters or Rielle the wisewoman. Narset is mentioned once in passing. Based on Maro's social media she was added to the set for her color balance and not story relevance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does she allude to the wedges in any way?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Rinkles posted:

Does she allude to the wedges in any way?

No, the five clades of monsters are identified in-story but there is no indication that they are associated with different colors. There is not much discussion of geography at all, let alone wedge-based identities. None of the regional names for wedges get called out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Missed opportunity.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i mean magic books are barely connected to the cards in general anymore

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Framboise posted:

I do rather like how they managed to merge in some un-mechanics for this set. I don't know how good mutate is gonna be, but it reminds me a lot of Augment. And the burn spell with trample is straight up lifted from Unstable.
I think they've been trying to find the right wording for that mechanic since Odyssey, actually. The current wording on Liquid Fire is, well, https://scryfall.com/card/ody/201/liquid-fire

I guess technically Liquid Fire can just go to the dome entirely so maybe I'm thinking of a different weird red card.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Whirlwind of Thought

1URW Enchantment

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, draw a card.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Whirlwind of Thought is pretty powerful. There are so many engines now.

Here's my first brew that I think looks like there might be something there:
https://scryfall.com/@TCID/decks/940911fc-9c0f-4f56-b880-7b7054e7d3a5

5c Bant Combo using Zirda as a companion to generate infinite mana and then kill with Kenrith. Based of a list from Yoman5 but far more streamlined I think.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's an interesting idea but 26 copies of seaside citadel seems aggressive unless I'm missing something.

edit: Does zirda mean that your lands as well? does tapping for mana count as an activated ability?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

That's a standin for a Bant manabase.

edit: yes tapping for mana is an activated abiltiy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Whirlwind of Thought is pretty powerful. There are so many engines now.

Here's my first brew that I think looks like there might be something there:
https://scryfall.com/@TCID/decks/940911fc-9c0f-4f56-b880-7b7054e7d3a5

5c Bant Combo using Zirda as a companion to generate infinite mana and then kill with Kenrith. Based of a list from Yoman5 but far more streamlined I think.

i feel like the vivien that gives your creatures flash might be worth having, and as much as i'm amused by the dedication to the gimmick you're allowed to have instants and sorceries in your deck and it's probably better to run a few of those instead of the geese/artisans -- particularly finale of devastation over the fiends, I think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Slitherwisp {U}{B}{B}
3/2
Creature - Elemental Nightmare
Flash
Whenever you cast other flash spells, draw a card and each opponent lose 1 life.

Snare Tactician - 2W (Common) Creature — Human Soldier 2/3
Whenever you cycle a card, tap target creature an opponent controls.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilmucche posted:

It's an interesting idea but 26 copies of seaside citadel seems aggressive unless I'm missing something.

edit: Does zirda mean that your lands as well? does tapping for mana count as an activated ability?

Yes, Zirda is lands too. So you can't play your Tabernacle or Glacial Chasm.

E: I think Urborg isn't allowed either?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Whirlwind of Thought

1URW Enchantment

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, draw a card.

Im not complaining but it seems pretty out there for wotc to print two combo enchantments on the same set. Since these types of enchantments are my fav thing to play with I'm p happy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does anyone have a link to the niv magus elemental deck where the guy played it on stream?

like I remember he would forecast a card in his hand that he couldn't even play

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 9, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i already hate playing against the flash deck and it's not even out yet. gonna pre-emptively join the dark side and make it the first thing i build

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
edit im blind

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Recursive Inspired charge seems good in principle, but working with go wide is at odds with mutate going tall. Maybe just using it the once is fine?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's Inspired Charge but simultaneously a targeted spell to trigger a Hero with.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BizarroAzrael posted:

Recursive Inspired charge seems good in principle, but working with go wide is at odds with mutate going tall. Maybe just using it the once is fine?

I think it's a good example of mutate not inherently meaning going tall, honestly. if you put a playset in your wide deck you get a good effect that triggers multiple times for added benefit in the offchance the first mutate sticks around

I also like how the mutate is hybrid mana and I wonder if it'll be playable in base white decks that don't have a red source

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jabor posted:

It's Inspired Charge but simultaneously a targeted spell to trigger a Hero with.
Unfortunately all the heroes you'd want to play it with are human.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hero of the Pride isn't!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/c001357/status/1248235439414112256?s=21

Splendid Ultimatum
Deal 5 damage, Draw 5 cards, Gain 5 life

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
That’s pretty underwhelming

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Should've been deal 5, draw 5, put 5 counters of the proper type on target permanent you control.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

https://twitter.com/c001357/status/1248235439414112256?s=21

Splendid Ultimatum
Deal 5 damage, Draw 5 cards, Gain 5 life

Is it deal 5 damage to any target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
According to the Scryfall translation, yes.