Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

https://blogmickey.com/2020/04/iger-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-could-screen-guests-for-illness-when-they-reopen/

temp check

Is a temp check even good enough given the 5 day incubation period when people are still contagious?

and the people who don't show symptoms. Don't forget those.

It will do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Supposedly quick turnaround tests are on the horizon, something like 5-15 minute results. Obviously that's not realistic for gate check, but who knows.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Think its just a case of throwing any ideas out there to appease shareholders.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

and the people who don't show symptoms. Don't forget those.

It will do nothing.

It’s safer than nothing but it’s not effective enough. Since children don’t seem to be getting it it’s very possible they have it but some huge percentage of them are asymptomatic. Just where I want to be, a theme park full of asymptomatic infected kids who lick and touch everything. I am shuddering thinking of the honey wall in Pooh (more than usual).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
No context necessary

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ve seen multiple videos like that. I don’t want to be mean, but do these children have actual cognitive issues? I could never even fathom doing that as a child, and yet I’ve seen multiple instances of it now.

This is to say nothing of the far more disgusting parents who let it happen/do nothing.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Florida textbook probably still teaching to the miasma theory of disease.

Once saw a toddler just sucking on the blue(?)handrail from the beginning of the Tomorrowland Speedway uptill you hit the bridge over the track. I intentionally was slow to move up the line and leaning on the rail to at least momentarily stop it from happening.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Had a kid knock a baby tooth out at Pooh because they were licking the lapbar as it popped up when they arrived at unload. We tried to warn them but the kid just slurped away until it came up and whacked him in the teeth. That honeypot was out for the rest of the day for a)investigation since it technically injured someone and b)extreme sanitizing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a video somewhere of a kid going to town licking the window of Starbucks at mk.talking like three feet of licking each direction. Disgusting

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found it, not safe for life

https://v.redd.it/q50ch11ikvl41

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have a three year old and basically he’s not leaving the house until this is over. There’s only so many times I can say “don’t touch” and “stop picking your nose” (he doesn’t listen unless he’s been told many, many times and physically prevented from doing it and even then his self control only lasts a few moments) and only so much hand sanitizer I can slather on him. You guys are making me never want to touch a handrail again which, to be fair, probably has always been the right call.

Dren fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 9, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I never touch handrails at Disney but even then you have kids standing in line right in front of you just open mouth coughing straight on you. It won't be smart to be at Disney for a long time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I’ve seen multiple videos like that. I don’t want to be mean, but do these children have actual cognitive issues? I could never even fathom doing that as a child, and yet I’ve seen multiple instances of it now.

This is to say nothing of the far more disgusting parents who let it happen/do nothing.

we did the same dumbfuck stuff as kids, we just don't remember it and our parents (generally speaking) were faster to stop us from doing it.

Dren posted:

I have a three year old and basically he’s not leaving the house until this is over. There’s only so many times I can say “don’t touch” and “stop picking your nose” (he doesn’t listen unless he’s been told many, many times and physically prevented from doing it and even then his self control only lasts a few moments) and only so much hand sanitizer I can slather on him. You guys are making me never want to touch a handrail again which, to be fair, probably has always been the right call.

I'm unsteady on my feet quite frequently because of the whole MS thing so hahahaha I have a bad habit of grabbing every handrail I see, especially for close aisles (like lines) and stairs and I can't even fathom how much spit I've probably vacuumed up over the years. And with people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom? Maybe I should just swallow the lysol can.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Lots of kids act out because they know they can get a rise out of adults, or because they want to test the limits of what they can get away with. I could admire the handrail lickers for their audacity if it weren't for the whole "spreading germs" thing and the "creating more work for cast members" thing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Tourism & Travel > Walt Disney World: I would admire the handrail lickers

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dren posted:

https://blogmickey.com/2020/04/iger-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-could-screen-guests-for-illness-when-they-reopen/

temp check

Is a temp check even good enough given the 5 day incubation period when people are still contagious?

When the parks do reopen I think it's really going to be a personal decision for many people if they feel like the risk is worth it or not. You can only hope they make an informed decision for themselves and their family.

I'm a Disboards poster as well, and there are a ton of people chomping at the bit to escape to their "happy place" and I get it, I do. But I'm personally not comfortable rolling the dice anytime soon with a visit to WDW. People already show up there sick all the time, this will be no different. Hopefully we get an antibody test soon. We came back from our mid Feb trip all sick as dogs, and there's a chance we may have already had covid19 at this point.

I've seen people on Disboards say they're going to be there opening day no matter what, I don't care if I get sick, and others that are like "I'm 72 years old, I'm not taking a single chance" I can tell you one thing, some of these Disney parents do not have their kids best interest at heart on a normal trip, they're not going to think twice about bringing their kids to the parks when they reopen.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That's pretty much the attitude of most people who post on various tourism boards.

Looking at cruise line forums there are people who can't wait to cruise again even as there are still sick people stuck in ships around the world

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

My son is just barely on the autism spectrum and he licked a handrail at Disney when he was 3. I mean, I was horrified at the time and of course we made him stop, but I'll be damned if that kid ain't bulletproof now. He hardly ever gets sick.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1248288944120156160

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm an annual Disney visitor and it's going to be years before I go back there. I'll either rent my DVC points out or use them to go to Hilton Head or Vero Beach. No way I go to a theme park until theres a vaccine for this poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Douchebag posted:

I'm an annual Disney visitor and it's going to be years before I go back there. I'll either rent my DVC points out or use them to go to Hilton Head or Vero Beach. No way I go to a theme park until theres a vaccine for this poo poo.

This actually just made me consider actually selling my DVC points. Renting is a fiasco as well now, and availability is going to be really low unless you're booking right at 11 months out. The DVC system wasn't designed for this kind of shutdown. It's designed to run at like 98% capacity. I bought resale a few years ago, and at current prices could basically break even selling.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Better sell sooner than later, then. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a steep decrease in price of available resales as (1) more people are in difficult financial places and (2) Disney has to find ways to hold onto more cash, including not exercising their right of first refusal on more resales.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

They can't not honor refunds for APs though, right? At first we were like "pssh hell yeah we'll take that extension," but you guys are making some really good points about staying clear of the parks for a good amount of time after they reopen. I wonder if it might be better to just put the refund from however many months they're closed toward a fresh AP we've already saved up for.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I don’t know what we’re going to do. The past year of teaching has been grueling - I took a job at a different school that paid significantly better, but they were hiding a horrendous workplace culture which seems to be basically a meat grinder for teachers to be churned through. A lot of what kept me sane was planning our engagement and the Disney trip, combining the proposal and vacation in my mind.

We’re both eager to go, but with everything happening we’re very uncertain as to what the future holds. It could be the parks stay closed a while longer, it could be they reopen for June based on when Disney offered their compensatory meal plan for those with affected plans. Maybe I’m just clinging so tightly to this because work has, in less than twelve months, killed my desire to be in my current profession, and I built up this as the light at the end of the tunnel.

Either way, it can be exhausting to be hovering on the edge of will the parks be open/should we just move it/am I going to have to wake up at 4am to get Flight of Passage FPs for the 3rd time?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/UniversalORL/status/1248344768087830530

May 31 for UOL, so yeah.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nottherealaborn posted:

Better sell sooner than later, then. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a steep decrease in price of available resales as (1) more people are in difficult financial places and (2) Disney has to find ways to hold onto more cash, including not exercising their right of first refusal on more resales.

Yeah, I agree *if* someone is going to sell it's better to do it now. DVC is an emotional purchase for many people though, so I don't see a huge amount of listings happening until Dec when the annual dues bills get sent, and folks have to make that hard decision of paying the dues or selling.

I'm going to bet I end up buying another DVC contract by the end of the year though if the prices drop. I bought into BLT at 125, and if I can get another 160 to 200 points at 125 or less I'll buy them. The kids are getting older and I'd like to have enough points for a 2 bedroom for a week in Magic season every year.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Universal is supposed ly paying employees through then.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Everyone paid through the 18th, 80% of pay through May 3rd. After May 3rd, part time hourly gets furloughed but everyone else at 80% pay. According to what some of my friends posted.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

Everyone paid through the 18th, 80% of pay through May 3rd. After May 3rd, part time hourly gets furloughed but everyone else at 80% pay. According to what some of my friends posted.

That's what on the official team member site too.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I presume they aren’t allowed to move prior full time hourly to part time hourly and then furlough them?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

skipdogg posted:

This actually just made me consider actually selling my DVC points. Renting is a fiasco as well now, and availability is going to be really low unless you're booking right at 11 months out. The DVC system wasn't designed for this kind of shutdown. It's designed to run at like 98% capacity. I bought resale a few years ago, and at current prices could basically break even selling.

I own at Saratoga. That place always has rooms. I've been an owner since 2012 so if I sold now I'd make some money but I'm not going to sell. Just going to bank when I can and when things reopen I'll try renting them out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Douchebag posted:

That place always has rooms.

Because it sucks.

...according to my wife, I've never been there.

I have a weird love/hate relationship with DVC, because I don't pay for it but my in-laws let us use their points. So on one hand, I'm grateful for the free rooms, on the other hand, I feel like I'm being treated as a sub-tier guest because Disney knows they have the DVC money and if we don't like it there's nothing we can do about it. I don't understand how it's acceptable that room availability is such trash that if you don't book the day your date opens up, you're pretty much poo poo out of luck.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Saratoga has the same vibe (for me anyhow) as Yacht Club does. It's not that it's a bad place. It's just that I'm waiting for everyone there to break out into cartoonish haw-hawww style laughter and light a cigarette off a $100 bill?

Which isn't saying that deebs up there is like that (I'm sure that person isn't). It's just the way the place feels to me. And I think that's why it always has rooms: it just has that haughty elitist feel to it. The Floridian makes you feel like a Princess. Saratoga makes you feel like you just shot a $3mil-winning racehorse, sniffed from your shiny snuffbox, and said "well tally ho chaps" and left it on the track.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

LOL, I love Saratoga. Mostly because it's chill and we can walk to Springs. We also like the Paddock section area because it's got a good pool and the little bar has a decent selection of food for breakfast and lunch.

Plus, when I bought DVC at the end of 2011 the promotion was $99 per point at Saratoga with no minimum so it was a no brainer to buy in at that point for that price.

Edit: And we bought there without ever setting foot on the property. Bought with the intention of staying at other DVC resorts. We stayed at Bay Lake our first DVC trip. The next year we stayed at Saratoga and realized it was actually pretty cool and chill and quiet and it feels like your sort of outside the Disney box a little bit.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I love Saratoga. It’s convenient to get to Springs, and the theming is really well done and I love seeing all the Disney horses. Also the bed runners are fox and the hound and precious.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

Also the bed runners are fox and the hound and precious.

okay look I definitely agree with that.

For me, the Springs really aren't important. I don't really care about the shopping or anything else down there. But if they're important to you yeah, Saratoga's great for it.

I wish the treehouses were a bit more rustic-fancy ala Copper Creek.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The main problem with DVC availability right now is a lot of the point allotment is tied up in poo poo like the bungalows and copper creek cabins which causes there to be an overwhelming demand for standard rooms compared to availability.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Board club and yacht clu. Are the most boring resorts in the world and it's insane that they got $500 a night for them but I guess that's true of every Disney hotel.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I told my wife about my apprehension about keeping our AP extension and going back so soon after reopening and I've never seen her look so sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Board club and yacht clu. Are the most boring resorts in the world and it's insane that they got $500 a night for them but I guess that's true of every Disney hotel.

Location location location. Also, the cash cost for DVC resorts is not a good measuring stick. I agree beach and yacht club and boardwalk are super milquetoast but they are also some of the cheapest dvc cost rooms as well as having easy access to both epcot and HS, boardwalk restaurants, and pretty centralized on grounds so transportation to just about anywhere is about the same.

If you view your hotel room as utilitarian, it's the best spot to be.