Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pablo Bluth posted:

The T&A on 500px is mostly beautiful and unobtainable models from Russia and Eastern Europe. The stuff on Flickr is bored housewifes from American suburbs, real dolls and world naked bike rides...

At least on flickr I can untick 'NSFW' and it honours it. On 500px its got this option but seems to think anything less than full spread eagle is SFW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1231934821581983745

It looks like they cropped the original, shopped in her and a slice of the foreground, and then slapped a gaussian blur over the background to create a shallow DoF effect. But they forgot to mask the bit between her arm and her body.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 26, 2020

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1231934821581983745

It looks like they cropped the original, shopped in her and a slice of the foreground, and then slapped a gaussian blur over the background to create a shallow DoF effect. But they forgot to mask the bit between her arm and her body.

No, they used an iphone or android and it's "DOF" algorithm managed to miss that. aaahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah that's 100% one of those "portrait mode" phone shots

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I've seen those portrait DOF algorithms delete people's hair before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I've seen those portrait DOF algorithms delete people's hair before.

And pet whiskers!

I have no doubt the processing will get there eventually but we're all living in the beta implementation era right now.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
And drink glasses, which honestly more fun than the original image would have been.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Not a photo but an otherwise real gem of a post over at DPReview

quote:

I hear my state (Illinois) is going on lockdown Saturday. It's not official yet.

The way it works is that we're only allowed to go outside for groceries and that sort of thing. I'm sure there are other urgent exceptions. What it really means is don't be out in public unless it's for a VERY good reason. Shame we won't be allowed to go to forest preserves and such. Being cooped up like this is going to have its own bad repercussions.

I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to let the virus run its course than to completely wreck the economy and put all these businesses under. Illinois is so broke already, the only way this can be funded in the long run is to jack taxes up more, and they're already quite high here. (whether the taxes are from the state or government)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Cool, a true galaxy brain accelerationist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easy to let people die up until you're the one in the ICU getting oxygen pumped into your lungs at pressures high enough to burst the little sacs our bodies use to absorb said oxygen.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Right but my taxes.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

It's easy to let people die up until you're the one in the ICU getting oxygen pumped into your lungs at pressures high enough to burst the little sacs our bodies use to absorb said oxygen.

The issue is more that if you don't do anything to reduce the rate of spread there will be no ICU bed or ventilator for you because they'll all be occupied, so you get to drown to death at home or in the hospital hallways.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Some things are eternal. Death, taxes, the overwhelming futility of existence. That Guy From Reddit Trying To Figure Out How To Do Large Format.

quote:

I’m almost employed so I may get started on large format film. I could use advice.

Since 2014, I dreamed about photographing landscapes and landmarks on large format film. Sadly, I never got around to that. I started doing serious photography in June, 2015 using a Nikon D3200. The part I’m good at is framing and composition. I like to take my time when capturing. I hate being rushed.

I kept having situations out of my hands stopping my from acquiring the funds. I’d like to sell to a narrow premium interest. I want to sell large prints and photo murals. It’s easy to make the most of my DSLR. The problem is it’s not going to be pretty when printed on wallpaper then pasted on the client’s wall. The broad scene capturing with many fine details near and far appeal to me. This is to make it great to see up close. I ruled out enlarger optical prints.

Ideally, I’d use an Arca-Swiss except I don’t have that much money. I ruled out anything that requires installments. My concern with other brands is they don’t have scales to measure bellow extension. I know that its catalog indicates it has through the screen metering. I’ll photograph vineyards including closeups of the grapes and the broad scenes. I understand the point of tilt and swing. I’ll start with 4x5 and go into 5x7 and/or 8x10 later.

If Arca-Swiss is not for me, what brand is? How should I measure the bellow extension for exposure compensation purposes? I plan on using color negatives (Kodak Portra 400), color positives (Fujifilm Provia 100F, Velvia 100F while I can still import, Kodak E100), and black and white (Ilford HP5 developed as either negative or in DR5 positive and/or Kodak TMAX 400 developed as a negative). With black and white, I’ll use yellow 8 because it’s comparable to the edits in Lightroom I use. For vineyards, part of me wants to use negatives for less tricky backlight shooting but the other part wants positives for less trouble with color casts that belong.

I’d like to work with clients to photograph their operations (farms and vineyards) along with photographing landmarks for general sale. How should I go about acquiring clients effectively? I have a BBA in Management but could still use help on that.

What’s your general advice? Thanks in advance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's probably his most coherent post to date.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/photowhitehouse/status/1241397658478153728?s=21

I know the white house is low hanging fruit but jeez. Like, this is supposed to be a flattering image.

(Click for full thing, it’s even worse than the preview)

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/photowhitehouse/status/1241397658478153728?s=21

I know the white house is low hanging fruit but jeez. Like, this is supposed to be a flattering image.

(Click for full thing, it’s even worse than the preview)
Is this... like... an official White House account?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I think it’s the same guy that took the infamous orange-face pic a while back. He’s like a presidential photography enthusiast or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's a correspondent but I can't tell if his twitter account is the official photos account or not. He definitely is a "professional" photographer for the cheeto though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm not sure which is worse, the photo or the accompanying post

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/mattoswaltva/status/1247597699542560768?s=21

:magical:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lol at people earnestly replying to that tweet with an actual preference between the two...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess he went for the baffle them with bullshit option.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Blackhawk posted:

Lol at people earnestly replying to that tweet with an actual preference between the two...

Including Mark Hamill, CliffyB, Jane Lynch and others. It's Patton Oswalt's brother, so I guess he knows people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the second I saw the name my stomach sank. Always seemed a good dude, needs to be told he shouldn’t be taking commissions.

Maybe it’s a Colin Hanks situation where people think getting close to the relative will buy them some time down the line.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
He's got some pretty good stuff in his LA liquor store series. He also does commission work both writing and photographing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Where is everyone
by Paul Wright, on Flickr

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Argh man it makes me sick to see all the positive comments under this pic.

First of all, what is up with that bokeh. Also selective colouring, come on now son. What is the subject of this photo? The guy's ear? And, empty? There are 3 buses, a taxi and 4 people in shot. The main thoroughfares to the left of this image are cropped out and the bus is in the way of the other busy side of the street. You could have easily taken this shot of 'empty' oxford circus at any time pre-corona.

OK I need to lie down.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I'm the pink ear on the otherwise gray head.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part is how their photostream is birdbirdbirdbirdbirdbid then boom, selective color.

Just another day in london by Paul Wright, on Flickr

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I thought the first was accidental, because of the pale blue by the lapel/below the mask, but nope. Just really unselective selective color, deliberately. Absolute legend

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Best part is how their photostream is birdbirdbirdbirdbirdbid then boom, selective color.

In this photograph I, the artist, am exploring the idea of how, in any given environment, multiple seemingly unconnected objects are actually one and the same: we are all resonating with the same scarlet heat energy of the universe. With nothing but some simple editing, I subtly suggest to the viewer a new way of looking at the world. Yes, buses are red. But also, have you noticed, that also sometimes hoodies are red too? Here we see man and machine, standing apart from each other but inextricably linked by the colouring of their livery. The machine can be anything the viewer imagines. At once recognisably a bus and, equally, a formless panel of metal using up half the frame for no good reason. No good reason dear viewer? Not quite. What seems like an amateur compositional mistake is actually a purposeful decision. The bus. The machine. The monolith. Pushing its way into the lives of human beings; greying the world around it. Who is the human subject of this photo? His face is obscured. He is everyone. He is me. He is you. He is wearing a red hoodie and he is being eaten by the machine.

*~*~* Original exposition DO NOT STEAL *~*~*

Burn Flickr to the ground

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 20, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

The bus. The machine. The monolith. Pushing its way into the lives of human beings; greying the world around it. Who is the human subject of this photo? His face is obscured. He is everyone. He is me. He is you. He is wearing a red hoodie and he is being eaten by the machine.
Dwarf fortress art descriptions going next level

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Curious what kind of individual thinks that selective color is "A+++++ work" I found this masterpiece in Zulma ()'s stream.

the hidden duck by Zulma (), on Flickr

And it has more views/faves/comments than anything I've ever shot. Perhaps I am way worse at this camera poo poo than I thought. I loving dunning-kruger'd myself.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

Curious what kind of individual thinks that selective color is "A+++++ work" I found this masterpiece in Zulma ()'s stream.

And it has more views/faves/comments than anything I've ever shot. Perhaps I am way worse at this camera poo poo than I thought. I loving dunning-kruger'd myself.

We're in like post-post-post modern weirdness where well taken photographs are so familiar to people that almost anything different sticks out.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Baker Street by Lana Pahl / Country Star Photography, on Flickr

Good job they watermarked this or I would have stolen it for my portfolio.

lol. Ok Dennis. So what kind of tones do you like to have in your imag- ... oh.

Purple Chevy by dennis dahn, on Flickr

Seriously Cindy? OK let's check out your photostream.

Clackamas Town Center Mall by Cindy Mc, on Flickr

:discourse:

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 20, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hi artist here:
Work Name: Focus
I wanted to really identify that in today's' modern society we are drawn to so much to our busy lives and multitasking that we cannot focus. This picture could have been beautiful, it could have been ugly, but no one knows because we do not stop to smell the roses and appreciate the world around us and the beauty that surrounds us in every day life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is a fun game, finding a bad photo and building a gallery of the worst photos from whoever comments. The game is over when you pick an image with no comments.

More entertaining than scrolling through the Explore feed every day.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

This might be one of the worst best photos ever shared in this thread. Christ what a mess

Okay I’ll admit, this one doesn’t seem so bad...in fact I kinda like. But to be fair, I’m not a pro photographer. I’m not even an amateur photographer! What’s so bad about this one? Is it just the cranked up HDR?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I initially forgot what thread this was, and was confused that you were back in London and had suffered an alarming lapse of taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

This is a fun game, finding a bad photo and building a gallery of the worst photos from whoever comments. The game is over when you pick an image with no comments.

Ah, so it’s like risk or monopoly whereby it never loving ends.