Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1247214445065129984

This dude thinks saying a swear or two on the 1MC is what people are upset about, Jesus tap-dancing Christ

I'm not even sure if that's an apology? The word regrettably is used but it doesn't fit the tone of the message and feels forced in there.

Did he learn "read the transcripts!" From Trump?

Cyks fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1247214445065129984

This dude thinks saying a swear or two on the 1MC is what people are upset about, Jesus tap-dancing Christ

He knows drat well that nobody's upset about the profanity; he's trying to change the subject and muddy the waters to cover for his obvious and inexcusable gently caress-up. I can't imagine where someone serving in this administration might have learned that technique. :rolleyes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cyks posted:

I'm not even sure if that's an apology? The word regrettably is used but it doesn't fit the tone of the message and feels forced in there.

Did he learn "read the transcripts!" From Trump?

There’s been a followup non-apology apology.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

In the last couple of days, I've been sitting here thinking about what made me angriest in the Navy. This whole thing has made me apoplectic, and I haven't set foot on a ship in eight and half loving years.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In an interesting microcosm an LCPO basically wants to fight me because I went to the dept head about something he didn’t do a week after he straight up told me he wasn’t going to do that thing because it wasn’t important and I told him I’d talk to the department head, and in his exact words “made him look like a loving idiot.”

He also ran to the master chief to teach me about the “chain of command” like it was the principals office right after I told him I’m not going to stop until it gets done and based on his demeanor I think he’s shocked it didn’t go his way.

:thunk:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

In an interesting microcosm an LCPO basically wants to fight me because I went to the dept head about something he didn’t do a week after he straight up told me he wasn’t going to do that thing because it wasn’t important and I told him I’d talk to the department head, and in his exact words “made him look like a loving idiot.”

He also ran to the master chief to teach me about the “chain of command” like it was the principals office right after I told him I’m not going to stop until it gets done and based on his demeanor I think he’s shocked it didn’t go his way.

:thunk:

Did you talk to DIVO? If you leave them out of the slap fights, they'll never learn.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

piL posted:

Did you talk to DIVO? If you leave them out of the slap fights, they'll never learn.

He ran into my office all red faced and paced around and did the “IM ABOUT TO LOSE MUH MIND” precisely because I went to the divo, like I told him I would, first when he said thing wasn’t gonna happen and then a week later on the walk to her office. He was still shocked.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He ran into my office all red faced and paced around and did the “IM ABOUT TO LOSE MUH MIND” precisely because I went to the divo, like I told him I would, first when he said thing wasn’t gonna happen and then a week later on the walk to her office. He was still shocked.

Excellent. Sorry you're having chief troubles. I've never really had the chief that would try to screen me from the division, but I've always been at small commands. I don't know what the case is or the scale if your command. If it's a no-poo poo requirement and the decision is that the juice isn't worth the squeeze, deciding to not do it should be an intentional decision made by the DH and the CO via the Chain of Command unless it's already been made clear. Sometimes, We (i.e the Navy) use the bureaucracy to hide the fact that too much is asked of the force to accomplish it all, but I don't think that's a very good system. Maybe it's been asked and answered and you're going to get the same thing, but at least the risk decisions are being made at the appropriate level.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s a c school package. This acting LCPO (not Chief but probably will be soon) says that doing c school packages for his sailors is too unimportant to because of Covid and “people are dying.” Of course the people who need him to do these packages are those who are doing direct care of covid patients, but only he understands the seriousness of the situation. The fact he sat on his rear end before this is of course immaterial, everyone around him is impatient and Does Not Understand The Importance Of The Chain Of Command.

A chief I’m working with told me to email him and “cc this fucker and his supervisor.”

I got a furious text and phone call seconds after pressing send on that lmao.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I always love hearing about lovely bosses getting their comeuppance.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Thankfully the Navy has a well thought out and not at all broken advancement system to ensure these sort of people don't end up in positions where they can negatively impact careers

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I always love hearing about lovely bosses getting their comeuppance.

Well not yet. I need to put together a timeline of everything he’s done and get him to admit things over text and email because I could still get hosed if his assistant decides to just lie about everything I told and did over the prior months.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1247601182312366081

Posting here, too. gently caress off Modly.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Good. What a turd

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Whole thing is simply astounding

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
He stepped on his own dick so hard and so fast, it almost feels like the whole thing was planned.

It wasn't. Good riddance

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This news cycle for Modly resolved almost as quick as Scarramuchi

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Imagine flying all the way to Guam just to yell at a bunch of sailors and get yourself fired.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hoooly poo poo that didn't go as expected for Modley hahahaha.

:byewhore:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Imagine flying all the way to Guam just to yell at a bunch of sailors and get yourself fired.

And then having to spend two weeks in isolation when you get home.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Did he really fly out there? It (news) sounded like they just played a memo over the 1MC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Did he really fly out there? It (news) sounded like they just played a memo over the 1MC.

He flew out there, walked to the 1MC on the quarterdeck, rattled off his speech, and left.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Cross-posting because I'm more interested in Sailor responses than genpop.

piL posted:

Here we at least see someone acting consistent with their own statements. As frustrated as I have been with this response, in the spirit refusing the sword of the vanquished, I would like to offer two notes about in regards to Former-Acting Secretary Modly.

One. Modly was between hosed and a hard place as soon as the memo went out, much like CAPT Crozier was in a similar situation. Just like CAPT Crozier was going to be investigated whether it was because his Sailors died, or because he did what he thought he had to in order to keep them from dying, the outcome was set when that article got ran. That Modly didn't handle it to our expectations is, in some regards, a public manifestation of events we do not have access to. I imagine he wishes he did things differently.

Two. Modly, as acting Secretary of the Navy, appeared to take his role as a communicator with the Navy seriously. I know nobody gives a poo poo about things like the SECNAV vectors or will know how much he helped or hindered a refocus on training and especially secondary education within the Navy was actually his contribution, but hopefully some of the initiatives he put in place to improve Navy education opportunities do not wither on the vine without his input. The Navy is an organization that's happy to let the chain of command be the primary method information sharing, and non-operational information in the Navy moves at the rate of one tier per meeting. One week from SECNAV to CNO, one week from CNO to TYCOM, one week from TYCOM to Squadron, one week from Squadron to CO and so on. That can't persist in an effective 21st century department that espouses democratic values. I believe he understood this fact and that he acted on it. I hope the next appointee does as well.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

He flew out there, walked to the 1MC on the quarterdeck, rattled off his speech, and left.

HFS

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I wonder what would make him think going on a ship and doing that was a good idea. I mean, he was a helo pilot, right? Then, I found out he was a Huey pilot and never actually served on a ship. loving lol.

What a douche.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
lol I didn't make the connection until today that this is the same guy that's the source of the "VECTOR" messages that don't open in my email because the certificate is broken.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

piL posted:

Cross-posting because I'm more interested in Sailor responses than genpop.

So... since I’ve already got a rep in this this for controversial opinions about leadership (aka omg how dare you care about peeps, how dare you intermingle between the classes, how dare you be a pleb who rose to the patrician status)... just wanna say Modley was a spineless piece of poo poo from day 1. Current acting SECNAV is a spineless piece of poo poo. Hey until we get a SECNAV that actually values their oath to support and defend they are a piece of poo poo

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

So... since I’ve already got a rep in this this for controversial opinions about leadership (aka omg how dare you care about peeps, how dare you intermingle between the classes, how dare you be a pleb who rose to the patrician status)

If this is honestly why you think you have a "rep" in this thread you need to lurk more. Your reputation in this thread is in part because you make every statement about how great you are, including this bullshit humblebrag.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

So... since I’ve already got a rep in this this for controversial opinions about leadership (aka omg how dare you care about peeps, how dare you intermingle between the classes, how dare you be a pleb who rose to the patrician status)... just wanna say Modley was a spineless piece of poo poo from day 1. Current acting SECNAV is a spineless piece of poo poo. Hey until we get a SECNAV that actually values their oath to support and defend they are a piece of poo poo

Pretty sure noone really disagrees with your opinions, more in your presentation. Forest for the trees.

Edit: As a leader you should examine your feedback loop, what it is telling you, and how you respond to that information.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 9, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

you're not very self aware yo

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Stop posting drunk.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

you're not very self aware yo

Yo come chill with me on a 2600, the 2nd gets off on the 4th in OAK. Although maybe I'll get lucky and the chief will 15 day rule me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

If anything your controversial opinions are too moderate. Most of this thread seems like they might would be happy with spartan kicking lovely admiralty off a flight deck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piL posted:

Stop posting drunk.

Never!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

Stop posting drunk.

This is the navy thread, right?

Rum ✓
Sodomy
Lash

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh no we’re SWOposting again.

In other news I am no longer allowed to speak to the department head FOR ANY REASON, according to LCPO of the year. It is unlikely the dept head is aware of this (she’s a real one, big reputation for being for the boys) and will probably find it interesting when I profusely apologize for contacting her and telling her I will never commit such a grave sin again.

This is dude is dumb enough to send this info over text lmao.

The brand new LPO since yesterday also confirmed that he remembers me asking this dude about this issue in November and blowing me off so :dance:

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 9, 2020

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also it cost the taxpayers ~$250k to do it

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/08/navy-secretary-trip-roosevelt-cost-243-000-leads-modly-ouster/2973486001/

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

M_Gargantua posted:

If anything your controversial opinions are too moderate. Most of this thread seems like they might would be happy with spartan kicking lovely admiralty off a flight deck.

I don't see why that would be necessary when there are steam powered catapults

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
You get some idea of the magnitude of the shitstorm when CNO posts a "message to the fleet" that very carefully says, in substance, nothing:

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=112577

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

I don't see why that would be necessary when there are steam powered catapults

Only registered members can see post attachments!