Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Keir looks like he'd drink Boris under the table. Perhaps he already has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Looking at the Guardian report of the latest death report

Guardian Live Blog posted:

A further 765 patients have died in hospital in England, bringing the total to 7,248 - up from 6,483 the day before.

Of the 765 new confirmed reported hospital deaths announced today by NHS England, 140 occurred on 8 April while 568 took place between April 1 and April 7.

The remaining 57 deaths occurred in March, including two on 19 March and one on 16 March.

The patients were aged between 24 and 103-years old. Some 43 of the 765 patients (aged between 33 and 99 years old) had no known underlying health condition.
Based on what the Government is releasing publicly, is it actually possible to understand what the UK daily rates are?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 9, 2020

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

keep up keir

bojo is actively perusing an exit strategy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who cares about the exit? I'm not really clamouring to know when they're going to go back to doing nothing, maybe what they're going to do to help people while we all need to be at home is more pressing?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Boris' exit strategy is a clinic in Switzerland.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Based on what the Government is releasing publicly, is it actually possible to understand what the UK daily rates are?

The daily announcements are pointless for that reason, there are more breakdowns of the government data available and the ONS is tracking all covid 19 deaths rather than just the ones in hospital so the answer is yes but you need to do the work yourself.

It's also not really possible to get good numbers by the day after.

OwlFancier posted:

Who cares about the exit? I'm not really clamouring to know when they're going to go back to doing nothing, maybe what they're going to do to help people while we all need to be at home is more pressing?

These things are related, the manner and timing of how things will open up again relates to how much support people at home need.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Based on what the Government is releasing publicly, is it actually possible to understand what the UK daily rates?

I'm not sure what you're asking for here - unless you want them to only publish the numbers after, say, 7 days waiting for the paperwork to catch up then there's always going to be a bit of a lag where late-reported deaths, or deaths where they've been unable to inform the relatives, or any of a number of other complications, end up not being reported on the correct day. Assuming there's not a complete collapse of the reporting system (which I'll admit isn't impossible) then it will tend to even itself out, because the under-reported deaths on one day end up counting in the next days numbers (or the next, or the next).

FWIW the weekly ONS reports *do* wait for all the paperwork to catch up if you really insist on knowing the exact number of people who died on a selected day you can wait for them to come out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just don't think "when's it all going to go back to normal" is really a thing I want the opposition asking like some deranged old boomer.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

For what it's worth Starmer was crap on Peston. He's obviously pushing the "we are supporting the government" stuff because the polls say it's popular, but he couldn't even bring himself to say companies shouldn't be paying dividends while also taking handouts from the government. He just looked terrified of giving a straight answer to anything.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

that's what he's talking about really - what's the plan? assuming we're not going to be on full lockdown for the next year or two, how are we moving forward? what's the situation with testing, what's our strategy for deploying it and what's the supply chain for those tests? if we're going to keep isolating, how long are we talking and what's the plan for making that workable for everyone? if we're going to relax restrictions, what measures are going to be in place to make sure we're safe, and accurately monitoring the situation, and what are we going to do if infections start to rise again?

China had a plan that worked effectively, South Korea had a different plan that worked effectively. We had no plan and that's why we're in this situation, so "what is the plan" is a good question to be asking because there's still no sign that we have one

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jabby posted:

For what it's worth Starmer was crap on Peston. He's obviously pushing the "we are supporting the government" stuff because the polls say it's popular, but he couldn't even bring himself to say companies shouldn't be paying dividends while also taking handouts from the government. He just looked terrified of giving a straight answer to anything.

Thiiiiinnnnggggs

can only get bedddaaaahhhh

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

God that's Ed Milliband-when-the-right-wing-controlled-him levels of bad.

Starmers whole thing of really stressing being the LOYAL opposition is going to make him totally impotent.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking for here - unless you want them to only publish the numbers after, say, 7 days waiting for the paperwork to catch up then there's always going to be a bit of a lag where late-reported deaths, or deaths where they've been unable to inform the relatives, or any of a number of other complications, end up not being reported on the correct day. Assuming there's not a complete collapse of the reporting system (which I'll admit isn't impossible) then it will tend to even itself out, because the under-reported deaths on one day end up counting in the next days numbers (or the next, or the next).

FWIW the weekly ONS reports *do* wait for all the paperwork to catch up if you really insist on knowing the exact number of people who died on a selected day you can wait for them to come out.
Clearly there's not going to be completely accurate numbers immediately but compared to the reporting by different countries, the UK numbers seem to be all over the place; with constantly changing methodology and vagueness about when to to attribute the deaths.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

imagine my shock

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Clearly there's not going to be completely accurate numbers immediately but compared to the reporting by different countries, the UK numbers seem to be all over the place; with constantly changing methodology and vagueness about when to to attribute the deaths.

No, this is pretty much exactly the same problem as was happening with Italy. I've not really looked at how any other country is doing it but I'm willing to bet, once you look into it, they'll be struggling with exactly the same problem, because death reporting is very rarely set up to be a quick process, so the wording at least is "<x> deaths *reported* yesterday" - it's the media who insist on saying "<x> people died yesterday".

The methodology changed a few times at the start because we've never really had to do this sort of thing before, but I'm not aware of any changes to how the numbers are gathered or reported for at least a week now. Of course the big missing number is deaths outside of hospital, but really it doesn't matter for the purpose that we're all really watching these numbers for, which is waiting for them to start going down and keep going down.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1248286403550744577
Pretty sure if the picture they were painting of BoJo's health was accurate he might have had some communication with his immediate deputy in the last four days.

ThomasPaine posted:

imagine my shock

For what it's worth, Corbyn played the "it's my job to oppose the government, not support it" card and it went down like a loving lead balloon with the public. People expect at least to be told that politicians are pulling together in the national interest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And the lib dems supported the government right into their party's near complete obliteration and we got five years of tory government out of it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Propose the thread title become "Weekend at Bojo's"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

My point isn't about accurately reporting the number of in the last 24 hours. I have zero issue with the data not being magically complete immediately. It's about them providing detailed breakdown of the numbers for us to understand what's happening in the country. The ONS date is in the right direction except they're only breaking down weekly not daily.

Edit:
This seems to be the data presented as I was after.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/
I'ts only hospital deaths and England but it daily numbers continually revised as the data comes in.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 9, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

jabby posted:

Pretty sure if the picture they were painting of BoJo's health was accurate he might have had some communication with his immediate deputy in the last four days.

For what it's worth, Corbyn played the "it's my job to oppose the government, not support it" card and it went down like a loving lead balloon with the public. People expect at least to be told that politicians are pulling together in the national interest.

I don't watch the briefings because I'm not a masochist - did he mean "any contact" in terms of physical contact or generally?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

I just don't think "when's it all going to go back to normal" is really a thing I want the opposition asking like some deranged old boomer.

He literally said he didn't want to know that. Said we needed to know that there was a strategy and what it was. That's definitely something I want to know. And politically it allows them to hold them government to account when they don't achieve things. But I and many other people have things painfully on hold and need to know what the gently caress is happening.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

EvilHawk posted:

I don't watch the briefings because I'm not a masochist - did he mean "any contact" in terms of physical contact or generally?

The balls did not touch

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Implication was generally.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He literally said he didn't want to know that. Said we needed to know that there was a strategy and what it was. That's definitely something I want to know. And politically it allows them to hold them government to account when they don't achieve things. But I and many other people have things painfully on hold and need to know what the gently caress is happening.

Yeah, I think the strategy is definitely to stress that they aren't going to shout at the government for what they've already hosed up, but they are going to demand answers about why testing is still so slow and what the plan is going forwards.

Which are legit questions, because all we know so far was these antibody tests and "immunity passports" were going to save the economy. Then the antibody tests failed to work and people poked so many holes in the "immunity passports" idea it resembles a colander. So what's the plan now to get us out of lockdown? Nobody knows.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They'd have shared a picture of him if he was in any shape to have one taken.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

jabby posted:

But it's absolute nonsense, the national interest doesn't exist, only the ruling class interests which are negotiated through the state which has been the natural home of the Tory party for decades now, if not even before the collapse of the Liberals and working class interests. Pointing that out and making the argument that it's the reality of the situation and a bad thing for the working class is essential for establishing a coherent leftwing narrative for loyalty and mobilisation. Labour lost Scotland because it sacrificed any distinction from the Tories both in local policy through New Labour councils and in ideological terms by campaigning with the Tories in the independence referendum so suddenly if you're going to vote for the union then of course you're going to vote Tory. That's an idea to be smashed, it can't be hidden from.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's funny because my first instinct was 'No, there's privacy implications for taking photos in health settings like an ICU.' but lol as if they'd actually care about that for a publicity shot.

namesake fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 9, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jabby posted:

Boris is mentally capable of making decisions like "feel like poo poo, don't wanna talk to that oval office"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

I still maintain that one of Corbyn's major problems was just being too bloody nice. He'd point out issues with the government's approach but he was always so restrained even when defending himself. Without endorsing the man, there's a reason Trump won people over, and it wasn't his clear and well thought out policy proposals. Bojo's popularity comes from a similar place, however unearned. Tepid Blair/Cameron centrism has made the entire Westminster bubble toxic to the average voter, and the people that are going to do well as liberal democracy is in crisis are those who (appear to) openly reject the status quo, regardless of their specific politics. I still think an openly hostile left candidate willing to call people out to their face would have gained far more traction than Corbyn was able to. While he was ideologically an existential threat to the establishment, his efforts to play nice - ironically enough - diluted his appeal. It's also why Starmer is going to tank hard. This isn't obviously to discount the many other factors in the 2019 defeat - Brexit chief among them.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 9, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Gonzo McFee posted:

I bet someone in marketing at No. 10 is constantly asking if he's okay for his photo yet. Don't know why they'd be worried, here's one of Boris taken yesterday

That loving voice man. Sounds like he's drowning in his tonsils.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sorry it's US news, but jesus loving christ:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1247291955123335169

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Propose the thread title become "Weekend at Bojo's"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1248289591020396545?s=19

All the cunts who spent the last five years badmouthing Labour got cushy jobs.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yep. Making it real loving hard to keep my membership going.

Phillips, Kinnock and Streeting all in there as junior ministers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Make Labour poo poo Again

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hope it keeps them happy but that's a lot of corrosive potential if not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the horse looking blairite enough yet?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It needs to, but I knew I was riding the possibility that this was a horse to get Blairite troops past a socialist wall, and Kinnock is a real signal in that direction. I don't have regrets, because RLB wouldn't get anywhere, but I am disappointed that the risk I took seems to be playing out the scenario that made it a risk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You'd go a long way in politics with that talent for disowning the consequences you don't like as unavoidable.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is the horse looking blairite enough yet?

It loving sucks that some of these people are back on the front bench, but look at the pledges Starmer made during the leadership contest:

- Free tuition
- Nationalise rail, mail, energy and water
- End outsourcing in the NHS and justice system
- Reverse corporation tax cuts
- Abolish universal credit and end benefit sanctions
- Replace the House of Lords with an elected chamber
- Repeal the Trade Union Act

Obviously he might not stick to it, but that ain't a Blairite manifesto. And the more of us leave the party, the less likely he is to stick to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I'm not leaving. I just stand by my initial suggestion that you can't trust the man at all. Labour still needs to be dealt with even if that's because it's an obstacle rather than a vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

I hear he's in good spirits. Like Nelson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucking_the_monkey