Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "converted church"

THIS IS SINFUL

The giant crazy church-house that I posted ITT ages ago is still for sale, big surprise. There used to be more photos in the listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

click for HUGE

Bar Maddalena - Prato, Italy (Dec. 1989)

Designed by Stefano Giovannoni & Guido Venturini
https://stefanogiovannoni.com/en/portfolio/interiors/bar_maddalena

Shamelessly yoinking from this tumblr: https://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/post/190153005804/bar-maddalena-prato-italy-dec-1989-designed

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

This looks intensely comfy, I'd love to read a book in that tub.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

I don't remember if I saw this tweet independently or in this thread:

https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/1246929231537299456

https://twitter.com/pooldad/status/1247183143968411650

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jesus Christ.

I love the city hall's worth of steps

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
never skip leg day

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
good thing the front door is an eye catching red, else i would not have been able to find it

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
i would not want to deal with the maintenance of that tub

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
would be a great tub for lying on your back with a parabolic poo poo on your own face though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

would be a great tub for lying on your back with a parabolic poo poo on your own face though

:thunk:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Eichler"
these are all different Eichler-built houses, roughly in order of how much they have been uglified by a "modern" remodel.

--white walls only beyond this point--

The staging company is just showing off how many fancy-rear end chairs they have here

Nothing says MCM like a loving barn door

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Why is there a rocky surface inside in the second pic, that looks terrible and not exactly inviting

Also the modern redesigns are much better, but I'm a whore for anything modern and clean looking

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

Why is there a rocky surface inside in the second pic, that looks terrible and not exactly inviting

Also the modern redesigns are much better, but I'm a whore for anything modern and clean looking

That flooring looks good to me, I’ve seen it before and it’s quite smooth. Anyone know what it’s called?

The modern versions just look soulless.
The insides of these places need some features like the wood ceiling & some colour, as they’re kind of featureless other than that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wooger posted:

That flooring looks good to me, I’ve seen it before and it’s quite smooth. Anyone know what it’s called?

The insides of these places need some features like the wood ceiling & some colour, as they’re kind of featureless other than that.

That's what the barn door is for.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wooger posted:

In the second pic? It's all hard, it looks like concrete or something. Completely cold and if you fall on it you prob break something

I agree the modern versions need some more color.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I'm going to assume it's just chunky terrazzo floors

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

All of the floors appear to be concrete in those pictures. That section was likely done with large aggregate (potentially all of the floor was) and they ground that section down a bit to show more of the aggregate.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Motronic posted:

All of the floors appear to be concrete in those pictures. That section was likely done with large aggregate (potentially all of the floor was) and they ground that section down a bit to show more of the aggregate.

Aka terrazzo (the old-school version, not the epoxy-resin kind that linoleum tries to imitate)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This one?
That looks like it could possibly have started life as a passive heating thing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Aka terrazzo (the old-school version, not the epoxy-resin kind that linoleum tries to imitate)

I'm not in a terazzo area (but it always looks awesome) is that really how they do it? I figured it was something........better than that.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Gettin' bufff... In the front room!

[timg]https://66.me055bc6cac520348255ffe228744eb20a013ad0e.png[/timg]

Gettin' bufff... In the bathroom!

Computers and humidity :cool:

Cocaine and robocop

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Motronic posted:

I'm not in a terazzo area (but it always looks awesome) is that really how they do it? I figured it was something........better than that.

mighty wikipedia posted:

Terrazzo artisans create walls, floors, patios, and panels by exposing marble chips and other fine aggregates on the surface of finished concrete or epoxy-resin. Much of the preliminary work of terrazzo workers is similar to that of cement masons. Marble-chip, cementitious terrazzo requires three layers of materials. First, cement masons or terrazzo workers build a solid, level concrete foundation that is 3 to 4 inches (76 to 102 mm) deep. After the forms are removed from the foundation, workers add a 1 inch (25 mm) layer of sandy concrete. Before this layer sets, terrazzo workers partially embed metal divider strips in the concrete wherever there is to be a joint or change of color in the terrazzo. For the final layer, terrazzo workers blend and place into each of the panels a fine marble chip mixture that may be color-pigmented. While the mixture is still wet, workers toss additional marble chips of various colors into each panel and roll a weighted roller (100–125 pounds (45–57 kg)) over the entire surface.

In the 1970s, polymer-based terrazzo was introduced and is called thin-set terrazzo. Initially polyester and vinyl ester resins were used as the binder resin. Today, most of the terrazzo installed is epoxy terrazzo. The advantages of this material over cementitious terrazzo include a wider selection of colors, 1⁄4 to 3⁄8 inch (6.4 to 9.5 mm) installation thickness, lighter weight, faster installation, impermeable finish, higher strength, and less susceptibility to cracking. The disadvantage of epoxy resin–based terrazzo is that it can only be used for interior, not exterior, applications. Epoxy-based terrazzo will lose its color and slightly peel when used outdoors, whereas cement-based terrazzo will not. In addition to marble aggregate blends, other aggregates have been used, such as mother of pearl and abalone shell. Recycled aggregates include: glass, porcelain, concrete, and metal. Shapes and medallions can be fabricated on site by bending divider strips, or off site by water-jet cutting.

When the terrazzo is thoroughly cured, helpers grind it with a terrazzo grinder, which is somewhat like a floor polisher, only much heavier. Slight depressions left by the grinding are filled with a matching grout material and hand-troweled for a smooth, uniform surface; it is then cleaned, polished, and sealed

Terrazzo was a former Zillow search term of the day and I found that it is mostly found in
a) 1920s houses in the midwest
b) MCM houses in Palm Beach, CA
c) Any old house in Florida
After the 70s most builders moved to linoleum and vinyl which are much less labor-intensive to install.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's awesome. Thank you for the knowledge. I always assumed it was just epoxy based.

Like I said, that's not much of a thing around here but I always somewhat admired it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lotta good poo poo if you search zillow for "castle"

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 10, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Motronic posted:

That's awesome. Thank you for the knowledge. I always assumed it was just epoxy based.

Like I said, that's not much of a thing around here but I always somewhat admired it.

looks like olive loaf or mortadella to me

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

now if only it was flanked by a five-poster bed

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Youth Decay posted:

When the terrazzo is thoroughly cured, helpers grind it with a terrazzo grinder, which is somewhat like a floor polisher, only much heavier. Slight depressions left by the grinding are filled with a matching grout material and hand-troweled for a smooth, uniform surface; it is then cleaned, polished, and sealed

Terrazzo was a former Zillow search term of the day and I found that it is mostly found in
a) 1920s houses in the midwest
b) MCM houses in Palm Beach, CA
c) Any old house in Florida
After the 70s most builders moved to linoleum and vinyl which are much less labor-intensive to install.

Don't forget airports and hospitals!

I had a job installing terrazzo(along with other commercial flooring) and did both cement and epoxy installs. Not sure which is worse, mixing with the cement and all the dust or dealing with the 55 gallon drum of xylene to mix with the epoxy. The grinders are pretty insane as well, small ones being around 300lbs running 220, and the big ones were around 700lbs and were 440 3 phase. Or i n 1 case the shadiest propane powered one that I amazed never killed one of us. The real downside to the electric ones is you have to wet grind the floor, so your standing in 1/2" of water. I don't miss that job...

That being said, I love terrazzo and would love to get custom terrazzo countertops for a kitchen I looked into it when we were redoing our kitchen, but couldn't find anyone somewhat local to do it. My wife found someone to make a terrazzo top to go on a library card catalog mail table set up we have.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

slurry_curry posted:

That being said, I love terrazzo and would love to get custom terrazzo countertops for a kitchen I looked into it when we were redoing our kitchen, but couldn't find anyone somewhat local to do it.
All the terrazzo artisans are getting too old to lift the grinder up to countertop height obviously.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Suddenly I'm reminded of one of my favorite defunct tumblrs: gently caress your Noguchi coffee table.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Pictures that really sell a house:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/100-W-Clinton-St_Dover_NJ_07801_M53151-52334?view=qv
It's like "why even publish the pictures if you can't take a decent one".

High attraction:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Pictures that really sell a house:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/100-W-Clinton-St_Dover_NJ_07801_M53151-52334?view=qv
It's like "why even publish the pictures if you can't take a decent one".

High attraction:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

animal crossing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This first cover photo for Pink Floyd's album "Wish You Were Here" was rejected by the studio.

ed: No wonder they didn't want to show the outside of the first one, its somewhat...lopsided.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...1!4d-74.5635604

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 10, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm thinking about getting a used credenza. For the past nine years I've had a low lack table from Ikea. I'll be getting the medium oak flooring, and the walls are cream colored.

Here's one from BDI, which seems to be a pretty expensive and modern brand. How in the world can that only be 29.5" high though?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/fuo/d/minneapolis-bdi-credenza/7104857000.html

Here's a cheap light gray one, but it looks more like an office desk to me

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/fuo/d/minneapolis-credenza/7104966450.html

I could also just do an ikea storage combo like this

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-walnut-effect-light-gray-10360134/

and then put doors on the bottom for the stuff I want to hide (ps4, cable box, buttplugs apparently)

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-insert-with-door-high-gloss-gray-70334222/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 10, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's the space right now, complete with the modern Jesse Ventura action figure

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

here's the space right now, complete with the modern Jesse Ventura action figure

You should replace that buttplug with one that has a flared base. Very dangerous.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Bloop posted:

You should replace that buttplug with one that has a flared base. Very dangerous.

lol that's a kong for my greyhound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

actionjackson posted:

lol that's a kong for my greyhound

do you have a ginger flavored one for your racehorse too