Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i could be better obviously but my parents could retire with full benefits with the lowering so thats nice. the college stuff is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

karthun posted:

No sorry, I can not support anyone who demanded the state pay for their privatized education. I don't care if they are hosed over in the process. I personally would also exclude these people from any senior government job too. Again, I don't care if they are hosed over, that's what they get for demanding privation of fundamental government services like education.

I'm going to do you a favor and assume you're only saying this because you have no idea how pervasive private universities are in the US somehow.

e: not forgiving private student loans is like giving us a band-aid while we're missing our chest cavity.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 9, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Xombie posted:

This would immediately and permanently remove $60,000 in debt for me.

Hold on until you see the details. I would bet hard money that means restricting all existing student loan forgiveness programs to poverty level or lower earners.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

karthun posted:

No sorry, I can not support anyone who demanded the state pay for their privatized education. I don't care if they are hosed over in the process. I personally would also exclude these people from any senior government job too. Again, I don't care if they are hosed over, that's what they get for demanding privation of fundamental government services like education.

You are extremely stupid, I hope you know this. lmao that anyone who went to a private university was "demanding" the state pay for their privatized education, for some people it was the best choice they could make to get an education and you are straight up victim blaming. you are a loving idiot.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hold on until you see the details. I would bet hard money that means restricting all existing student loan forgiveness programs to poverty level or lower earners.

I agree with this but the fact they said "middle and lower" instead of just "lower" income gives me a little bit of hope that it will at least effectively cover "lower".

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

For reference, the exit polling for women in 2016 was Clinton 54, Trump 41.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

karthun posted:

My public elementary school adjudicated me as severely delayed due to bad handwriting (Dysgraphia) and were going to put me in the nonverbal handicapped track. My parents pulled me out and put me in a private school, thanks to some scholarships.

If you have a choice between some underserving people getting a thing and some deserving people not getting a thing, don't pick the second one. Spite based politics is how we got here.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Not trying to be a dick but do any full-on Biden supporters have anything to say about his cognitive decline? My grandfather and great uncle pretty much went through the same thing, and it's very hard to watch. I know this makes his VP even that much more important, but still. I can imagine if COVID-19 wasn't happening and he was forced into the public, even more, we'd have a lot more footage of his condition, which doesn't bode well for his chances.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The amount of debt that gets forgiven phases out as you approach $125k

https://medium.com/@JoeBiden/joe-biden-outlines-new-steps-to-ease-economic-burden-on-working-people-e3e121037322

quote:

The concept I’m announcing today will align my student debt relief proposal with my forward-looking college tuition proposal. Under this plan, I propose to forgive all undergraduate tuition-related federal student debt from two- and four-year public colleges and universities for debt-holders earning up to $125,000, with appropriate phase-outs to avoid a cliff. The federal government would pay the monthly payment in lieu of the borrower until the forgivable portion of the loan was paid off. This benefit would also apply to individuals holding federal student loans for tuition from private HBCUs and MSIs.

I find the idea of paying monthly payments in lieu of the borrower a particular choice compared to other means.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Terrible overall numbers for Trump, but he has the lowest party defection rate in modern polling history - in both directions.

Trump is getting a higher % of the Republican vote than Bush, Romney, H.W. Bush, or Reagan ever did and the smallest % of Democratic crossover in history. Trump had almost double the amount of crossovers and lost Republicans in 2016.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1248265920151199744
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1248266180579770376

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Some good news! Colin Kaepernick has been signed on as a Quarterback for the NY jets!!

https://twitter.com/supertoughscene/status/1248307212205862913?s=21

Ha ha suck it american flag!!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Xombie posted:

This would immediately and permanently remove $60,000 in debt for me.

I have 6 figures of student loan debt and have never been able to earn more than about $30,000 / year since (and that's in the last year, up until 2019 I was making around $18,000/year working food service) I graduated at the beginning of the Great Recession. This would substantially change life for myself and my partner. One of the things I was most devastated about w/r/t Bernie losing the primary was I had started to begin to believe for a moment that I could get out from this crippling debt.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Terrible overall numbers for Trump, but he has the lowest party defection rate in modern polling history - in both directions.

Trump is getting a higher % of the Republican vote that Bush, Romney, H.W. Bush, or Reagan ever did and the smallest % of Democratic crossover in history. Trump had almost double the amount of crossovers and lost Republicans in 2016.

I always hear that his numbers are climbing among Republicans because less people are identifying as Republicans so they are shrinking and concentrating the number.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Manager Hoyden posted:

His current platform is following and expanding the Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which means they're forgiven after 10 years at my current job. Forgiving them because I went to a public college and am middle-income just means they get forgiven faster.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

ManBoyChef posted:

That isn't going to make me vote for biden. Me not voting for either or writing in bernie is not a vote for trump or for biden. its not a D or an R thing. Its merely a message that I would have voted for a better candidate. I voted for clinton last general election. I'm done voting for bullshit candidates. Yes I will take part in downballot races and vote for progressives there but I sure as poo poo am not voting for republican lite anymore. Until they stop stomping the campaigns of progressives in the media and making sure that the DNC smears them I'm done with them. They obviously don't need my vote or they would actually work with the progressive wing of the party instead of making GBS threads on us. I think the virtual celebration that bernie is out is indicative that they do not want or need us.

The people that voted third party/libertarian or wrote in the last election did not have their "message" heard last election either, I'm sorry that's not how it works. This "message" that people think they think they are sending is won't heard nor remembered in this current election in history because it's just a gesture that doesn't actually do anything. Once the Primary is over it's far too late for that exact message to have any effect. There was a chance for people to come out en masse and vote for Bernie (as I did in a state where it didn't matter overall) but that just didn't happen. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-bernie-sanders-lost/?ex_cid=538twitter is a large reason why and I won't get into that but things could have been better and of course the DNC could be less lovely but in 2018 when we used them for our progressive agendas nationwide, we didn't hold them to enough of a stringent standard to avoid our current present from happening. The Presidential election will only count who wins.

I'm glad you will be doing downballot and progressive things and keeping the push alive for further progressive candidates and i'll be right there with you and if everyone wants to exit the D party I think they should after this and finally establish something else that will fit their needs. There will still likely be a system intact to do so as long as we win now, and enough pressure to still shift things farther left. Bernie sure did from the outside in a short set of the last eight years and folks like Yang didn't even need to win the nom to shift all politics left.

Currently though this does not exist and Biden will need every vote he can get if the mission is to get Trump out of office, we are a fractured caucus where our opposition is not. I'm not hyperbolic that any other vote other than Biden is a vote for Trump, this is enshrined in fact for most of the recent elections we've had. We cannot win with fracture.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 9, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Al-Saqr posted:

Some good news! Colin Kaepernick has been signed on as a Quarterback for the NY jets!!

It's fake, which is probably for the best since having to play for the Jets would be a crueler fate than Kaep deserves.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Trabisnikof posted:

I find the idea of paying monthly payments in lieu of the borrower a particular choice compared to other means.

It's so they can threaten that they'll be repealed unless you keep voting for the D

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yuzenn posted:

I'm not hyperbolic that any other vote other than Biden is a vote for Trump, this is enshrined in fact for most of the recent elections we've had. We cannot win with fracture.

You're wrong, I'm not voting for Trump, and if they didn't want "fracture" they should have given leftists literally anything.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well okay, I'm voting Biden then. Sorry morals, you're taking a fuckin' back seat to my debt/income ratio and I'm not even kidding.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Arist posted:

You're wrong, I'm not voting for Trump, and if they didn't want "fracture" they should have given leftists literally anything.

Did you not live through 2016? How am I wrong, please be specific.

How are u posted:

I don't think there are actually any full-on Biden supporters posting on these forums. There are a lot of us who don't like Biden at all but are ready to do the needful.

Regarding his congnative decline I'd say that for me: it's not great, I hope it doesn't matter much in the long run, it didn't seem to matter to primary voters, and I also think it's been hugely exaggerated in the left echo chamber.

Emphasis mine

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Not trying to be a dick but do any full-on Biden supporters have anything to say about his cognitive decline? My grandfather and great uncle pretty much went through the same thing, and it's very hard to watch. I know this makes his VP even that much more important, but still. I can imagine if COVID-19 wasn't happening and he was forced into the public, even more, we'd have a lot more footage of his condition, which doesn't bode well for his chances.

I don't think there are actually any full-on Biden supporters posting on these forums. There are a lot of us who don't like Biden at all but are ready to do the needful.

Regarding his congnative decline I'd say that for me: it's not great, I hope it doesn't matter much in the long run, it didn't seem to matter to primary voters, and I also think it's been hugely exaggerated in the left echo chamber.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yuzenn posted:

Did you not live through 2016? How am I wrong, please be specific.

First off, I voted for Hillary, and it didn't loving matter. Second, I live in CT, where it is statistically loving impossible for my vote to matter. Third, I'm not voting for Trump.

Surely if not voting for Biden is a vote for Trump, not voting Trump is a vote for Biden, right? You're welcome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1248316823302483969?s=20

This guy is a little smarter than the other right-wing morons

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

poo poo, thats cool and good.

Trump is getting a higher % of the Republican vote than Bush, Romney, H.W. Bush, or Reagan ever did and the smallest % of Democratic crossover in history. Trump had almost double the amount of crossovers and lost Republicans in 2016.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1248265920151199744
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1248266180579770376

yeah, obviously early and i will mostly be watching the swing/flip state polls but i do think alot of indipendents and dems saw clinton as the greater evil compared to trump in 2016. biden inspite of everything, isnt viewed as that by possible majority of folks.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

(I'm a D line voter. Like, it really doesn't matter to me, I will always be there due to my seething hate of the GOP. I would have preferred Sanders get the nom, failing that anyone else before Biden except for Mayor Pete and Bloomberg.).

Yes, it's troubling. Yes, I've gone through this with family members. No, I don't care.

What I do care about is the safety of my obviously non-white rear end and the lives and safety of my LGBT fam and friends, my ability to have any rights at all as a worker and the long term viability of the species.

I'm going back to bed now until June when I pull the lever for Sanders and then in November when I do it for whoever is the D candidate for President and the entire D line on down.

Straight up.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well okay, I'm voting Biden then. Sorry morals, you're taking a fuckin' back seat to my debt/income ratio and I'm not even kidding.

I didn't ask you or anyone to vote for Biden.

But if you're saying that I shouldn't vote for Biden based on your moral argument, I guess I'm not really interested in paying tens of thousands of dollars to validate the moral reasoning of a stranger on the internet. I can't afford it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1248316823302483969?s=20

This guy is a little smarter than the other right-wing morons

til the crisis is over and than it will be torn away. and this will die in the senate because tea party and mitch

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Re: Biden's age I've said it before but there is a certain waxy look old people get before they kick off. Their skin gets a kind of sheen to it, and it feels very soft. It also shows up in folks who spend too much time on corticol steroids. Anyone who has worked with or spent much time with the elderly knows what I'm talking about.

Biden has that look. I honestly think that his VP wouldn't have long to wait for the big chair.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

til the crisis is over and than it will be torn away. and this will die in the senate because tea party and mitch

They may allow this one to go through because Hawley is being groomed as the competent fascist that all of you are so loving terrified of. And you should be terrified of him because he's one of those assholes that can really, sincerely lie to an extent that it sells and is smart enough to know how to strategically deploy it. He's also the not creepy version of Tom Cotton with better credentials and a better education.

Be really fuckin' afraid of this guy.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Xombie posted:

I didn't ask you or anyone to vote for Biden.

But if you're saying that I shouldn't vote for Biden based on your moral argument, I guess I'm not really interested in paying tens of thousands of dollars to validate the moral reasoning of a stranger on the internet. I can't afford it.

Look man I told your rear end I was not kidding. I am not being sarcastic. If this is a promise this dude does not waver on before November I am checking that b-diz box no question.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bernie has had "positive" talks with Biden. Plans to endorse much more quickly than 2016.

Biden is going to literally announce that changes to his platform were because of Bernie.

quote:

In a sign of how high the stakes are here, Biden will credit the Sanders movement for making this happen, saying: “Senator Sanders and his supporters can take pride in their work in laying the groundwork for these ideas, and I’m proud to adopt them as part of my campaign at this critical moment in responding to the coronavirus crisis.”

Medicare, for example, has too often been treated first and foremost as a budget problem to be shrunk rather than valuable social insurance to be expanded. So the debate often included proposals to ratchet up the eligibility age. This proposal turns 180 degrees and lowers the age of eligibility.

Talks include future joint campaigning, additional position changes, and guarantees that roughly half of the various committees at the DNC will be Sanders Delegates.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1248327844503212033?s=20

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Arist posted:

First off, I voted for Hillary, and it didn't loving matter. Second, I live in CT, where it is statistically loving impossible for my vote to matter. Third, I'm not voting for Trump.

Surely if not voting for Biden is a vote for Trump, not voting Trump is a vote for Biden, right? You're welcome.

This is making my exact point, you voted for Hillary and she didn't win, so lets look into why.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/michigan

Hillary lost MI by 10k votes and there were over 250,000 votes cast for people other than Hillary or Trump.

I'm not pointing you out individually and this is obviously more important in swing states but we lost last time in places that were not intended to be swings. If there is enough fracturing going around everywhere, we lose. This is fact.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yuzenn posted:

I'm not pointing you out individually and this is obviously more important in swing states but we lost last time in places that were not intended to be swings. If there is enough fracturing going around, we lose. This is fact.

You seemed pretty fuckin' absolute about this a few minutes ago man.

But I'm not voting for Biden and you, especially you, are not going to change my mind.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so when is the old fucker gonna pick his VP?

TyroneGoldstein posted:

They may allow this one to go through because Hawley is being groomed as the competent fascist that all of you are so loving terrified of. And you should be terrified of him because he's one of those assholes that can really, sincerely lie to an extent that it sells and is smart enough to know how to strategically deploy it. He's also the not creepy version of Tom Cotton with better credentials and a better education.

Be really fuckin' afraid of this guy.

guess we will see. i dont think the GOP will even want any kinda of left politics even if its "left".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I can’t wait for biden to deliver solid concessions like a drawing of a clock and health insurance when we turn 60.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuzenn posted:

The people that voted third party/libertarian or wrote in the last election did not have their "message" heard last election either, I'm sorry that's not how it works. This "message" that people think they think they are sending is won't heard nor remembered in this current election in history because it's just a gesture that doesn't actually do anything. Once the Primary is over it's far too late for that exact message to have any effect. There was a chance for people to come out en masse and vote for Bernie (as I did in a state where it didn't matter overall) but that just didn't happen. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-bernie-sanders-lost/?ex_cid=538twitter is a large reason why and I won't get into that but things could have been better and of course the DNC could be less lovely but in 2018 when we used them for our progressive agendas nationwide, we didn't hold them to enough of a stringent standard to avoid our current present from happening. The Presidential election will only count who wins.

I'm glad you will be doing downballot and progressive things and keeping the push alive for further progressive candidates and i'll be right there with you and if everyone wants to exit the D party I think they should after this and finally establish something else that will fit their needs. There will still likely be a system intact to do so as long as we win now, and enough pressure to still shift things farther left. Bernie sure did from the outside in a short set of the last eight years and folks like Yang didn't even need to win the nom to shift all politics left.

Currently though this does not exist and Biden will need every vote he can get if the mission is to get Trump out of office, we are a fractured caucus where our opposition is not. I'm not hyperbolic that any other vote other than Biden is a vote for Trump, this is enshrined in fact for most of the recent elections we've had. We cannot win with fracture.

Let's vote Trump out of office! By supporting the exact garbage neoliberal governance that gave us Trump in the first place, enacted by a racist rapist who doesn't know what year it is. Biden ensures we either get a Trump re-election, or a landslide victory for Trump 2.0: Fash Harder next election cycle, because the DNC just sent a very clear message that leftists, progressives, and youth voters can gently caress off and die (but still vote blue no matter who).

The DNC already slashed America's throat, this is just the brief interregnum between the cut and when the blood starts fountaining out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Vice President Jill Biden.

You can't impeach a husband and wife for the same crimes.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so when is the old fucker gonna pick his VP?

guess we will see. i dont think the GOP will even want any kinda of left politics even if its "left".

I don't think Obama or Clinton announced until July or August. Might come sooner since it's so important for Biden, but who knows

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bernie has had "positive" talks with Biden. Plans to endorse much more quickly than 2016.

Biden is going to literally announce that changes to his platform were because of Bernie.

Talks include future joint campaigning, additional position changes, and guarantees that roughly half of the various committees at the DNC will be Sanders Delegates.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1248327844503212033?s=20

it makes. try to put together some kind of unity campain. hopefully pick a progressive lady for VP and etc. he will probably change stances on M4A at somepoint or something like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:gizz:

https://twitter.com/damonagnos/status/1248130533789323264

https://twitter.com/mbarnett/status/1248313726274420736