Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

Has anyone been reported to the police yet for not clapping

Arrested for putting insufficient clap in your shopping trolley

E: government walk cat

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

crispix posted:

Has anyone been reported to the police yet for not clapping

Did you clap?

I have video evidence of us doing it making my clapping much more effective and guarding against such prosecutions.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

We've had clapping, pots and pans, whistles and even fireworks for the Clappening both last week and today - I don't know if they had a stockpile of fireworks or if they are going out to buy them. Personally I am drinking whisky and listening to ominous viking chanting.

Aren't there any other indicators of country 'success' they can use other than the economy? Yes, buying tests is going to cost a lot of money, but surely even the most hardcore of number lovers can agree this is a situation where you need to spend money to save money in the long term. If South Korea and Kerala can institute mass walk in testing then why can't this country?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There were quite a few people clapping around here, including a few kids.
If this helps kids grow up thinking/knowing that the NHS is something awesome, I'm all on-board with a bit of pointless applause.

I got proper annoyed trying to get back home from work earlier. The bus driver took 9 minutes to change over (back when they actually had to count up the amount of money they had at changeover, it never used to take more than 5 minutes) and then proceeded to drive in 2nd gear, deliberately going slowly so that he'd have to stop at every set of traffic lights, meaning that the 1.3 miles between Bow Church and Stratford station took 11 minutes and I missed my train by 30 seconds.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Clapping is good, because it means we show appreciation to the brave NHS workers and don't have to show them additional gratitude through better pay.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248319601647247361

Must've been the Trump pills

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Moved out of intensive care, into the morgue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

I got proper annoyed trying to get back home from work earlier. The bus driver took 9 minutes to change over (back when they actually had to count up the amount of money they had at changeover, it never used to take more than 5 minutes) and then proceeded to drive in 2nd gear, deliberately going slowly so that he'd have to stop at every set of traffic lights, meaning that the 1.3 miles between Bow Church and Stratford station took 11 minutes and I missed my train by 30 seconds.

If there is significantly less traffic than usual they likely will not have adjusted the timetable, so they will drive slow so they stick to it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RIP the UK died of Boris recovery.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Last Supper in a Time of Corona

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1247991033167831043?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Last Supper in a Time of Corona

Lol. Great idea for a Photoshop thread too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/round/status/1242516130624761857

There's already been a few.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Do we have the highest daily covid deaths now? Another area in which Britain is leading the way.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

winegums posted:

Do we have the highest daily covid deaths now? Another area in which Britain is leading the way.

Nope, the colonies are way worse off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

winegums posted:

USA, probably

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

sebzilla posted:

USA, probably

Yeah I think it officially became the American Virus a few days ago.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sebzilla posted:

USA, probably

1858 official deaths there yesterday, but they're almost definitely under reporting.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Soylent Yellow posted:

1858 official deaths there yesterday, but they're almost definitely under reporting.

Bing says 1990

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lambert posted:

Bing says 1990

1858 would be the day before, then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Speaking of the USA.

https://twitter.com/technidiff/status/1247943030423896066?s=19

The comments are great too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are schools in the us shut down? It's probably averaging about the same death rate as normal with school shootings not able to happen.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Currently we're at 8th most cases in the world, 5th most deaths. Our poor testing and reporting regimes (although plenty of other nations are screwing up as well) mean this is obviously very up in the air but it's a bad sign on how we're handling it, that's for sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Deep frying is cheating but yes I imagine it does work :v:
Delicious cheating.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can't stop myself looking around to see who is and isn't clapping. My inner Tory is getting a bit too close to the surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xY4zImmP8

Lambert posted:

Bing says 1990
That's just when anyone last cared about MSN Search.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

namesake posted:

Currently we're at 8th most cases in the world, 5th most deaths. Our poor testing and reporting regimes (although plenty of other nations are screwing up as well) mean this is obviously very up in the air but it's a bad sign on how we're handling it, that's for sure.

We're also way down at 35th for number recovered.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Oh btw Darren McGarvey, author of Poverty Safari, is on QT tonight, he's usually pretty good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1248336723152637952?s=19

You're all going to be telling me off for being mean in a minute.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I ran a DnD game for all of my friends from home, and I had a lovely time!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/edit#gid=0 still the gold standard of Covid-19 2020 UK or is there a fresher, more UI driven pandemic stat shooter about?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1248336723152637952?s=19

You're all going to be telling me off for being mean in a minute.

Are people still gonna say Give Kier A Chance He Might Surprise Us or have we reached the end of that glorious era?

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Joined my local non-Bible bashing soup kitchen tonight. It's had to become mobile because the council, unannounced and without discussion, demolished the original stall because 'there's no one on the streets they are all in hotels'. Guess what, there were people on the street. Don't worry, the authorities had it covered: a riot van was driving around telling groups of rough sleepers that they had 10 minutes to disperse or they would be fined £35.

ACAB but the 'C' can be councils or cops you choose.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Thus far he hasn't given total control over to the right of the party. He's split control to all areas of the party. I can understand that being a bitter position compared to going with an all out red assault like we have been for 5 years. What needs to be seen is not what Starmer does, but what the party as a whole does. Do every camp get pissy and go their separate ways because of the people they don't like, left right and centre on the front benches? Or do people actually work something out now? I'm not advocating for a position I'm literally saying I want to wait and see.

Either way, no one's going to get what they want. The party's going to be too far left, right and center for any of its camps and if we can't form a mosaic somehow then the picture's as narrow and useless as it would have been with only the tiles on the far left. If that's the way its headed, parliamentary politics is done until the left somehow magically gets off its rear end and does some work. Any time now. We've been waiting for that revolution since secondary school. It sure is coming... ...any time now.

Reminds me of back when I was a pentecostal Christian, just how sure we were the second coming was around the corner. Except the church actually had community initiatives to evangelise. They work, but never spread the opinions of the church so universally as they had hoped.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 9, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Faaaaaaaart

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole point of left participation in electoral politics is to get ahead of the revolution because revolutions are not pleasant things. If you get your way and starmer center grounds his way to a win and does nothing with it you will get your revolution in time, but there is zero guarantee you will survive it or that it will be the left who wins it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
8000 deaths? Now that is a Good Friday!

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1248361842138849281

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

In Portsmouth the clapping(and pots and pans, and shouting) is accompanied by every loving boat in the naval base going BWAAAAARP on their horns. My cats hate it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

floofyscorp posted:

In Portsmouth the clapping(and pots and pans, and shouting) is accompanied by every loving boat in the naval base going BWAAAAARP on their horns. My cats hate it.

I didn't hear that the first two times, but I can usually only hear poo poo from the dockyard if the wind is blowing a certain way. Also it's defo not the naval ships, as no naval personnel will be working this late at night

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
death chart up in the hizzouse!

Also this site is a pretty fun visualisation https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Lookit that US line go! :wow:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't think people heard the lack of sincerity in my tone about the prospects of a future revolution, violent or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GarethThomasMP/status/1248361450969718785?s=19

Keir is really breaking with Corbyn's Labour.

Edit:ah he deleted and changed it