Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Brock Samsonite posted:

Goddamnit Hixon not everything has to be Night Lords!
(...beautiful job though)

Thank you!

Don't worry i have a big stupid Night Lord tank on my painting table this very second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Hixson posted:

Happy quarantine y'all! I painted some battletech minis:

Wanted to try something a little different and these are colors i landed on!

I like that blue/purple, it's giving me synthwave vibes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hixson, I posted your group shot to the SA Battletech discord and someone wanted to know where you got the minis themselves (in addition to saying they loved your paint job) if you don't mind.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hixson posted:

Happy quarantine y'all! I painted some battletech minis:

Wanted to try something a little different and these are colors i landed on!

These are really pretty. I need to find new inspiration for my battlemechs. I am at 16 models for my collection and running out of ideas for what to paint each one. I like them all to be different colors.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Zaodai posted:

Hixson, I posted your group shot to the SA Battletech discord and someone wanted to know where you got the minis themselves (in addition to saying they loved your paint job) if you don't mind.

They're from Defiance Industries on Etsy. Quality is pretty good for a 3d printing service.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Good news: Today I was able to put together about half of the Sororitas Exoricist.

Bad news: Because I'm dumb, I flipped it over at one point to glue something on, and I bent two of the little fleur-de-lis spikes on the rails on top. I've tried applying some plastic glue to try and melt the bent area down to strengthen it again. If that doesn't work, would super glue work to fix it?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 7, 2020

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Are there any tricks to painting a symbol/pattern/whatever to look like its painted on the model. Besides just... painting it that way?

Ex/ a yellow fist on the side of a grey metallic tank, or pink face paint on the flesh of an infantry face.

I realize I’m likely over thinking it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Are there any tricks to painting a symbol/pattern/whatever to look like its painted on the model. Besides just... painting it that way?

Ex/ a yellow fist on the side of a grey metallic tank, or pink face paint on the flesh of an infantry face.

The tank is easy - add wear and chipping to where the paint would naturally be worn away. The edges of panels, raised surfaces, and anywhere where people would touch (doors, hatches etc). Paint the symbol as normal, then stipple the underlying base colour on those areas using a hosed up brush, a torn piece of foam or whatever.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Haven't posted anything for such a long time. Here's some recent output.

Hasslefree Raisa and Dark Age Ice Elemental

Fist-Smash Captain

Anvil Industry Daughters

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 7, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I like that blue/purple, it's giving me synthwave vibes.

My suggestion for basing was a highway with palm trees either side.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Use some glaze medium in your face paint. That'll let enough of the underlying color in to look like a holistic unit, instead of paint slopped on and unshaded. If you haven't glazed something before, it's better to go too heavy on the medium, since you can put more coats over it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like his little orange nose so much

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Finished a unit of Shadow Warriors this week (well yesterday). The head is from the Sisters of Avelorn side of it.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I like the bases on those Shadow Warriors. How'd you do that?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ez8 posted:

I like the bases on those Shadow Warriors. How'd you do that?

It's just the same steps as this WHTV guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvCn9160qkY
Only difference is that I use Elysian Green for the drybrush since I don't have Nurgling green.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Finished my Gun Mage Adept and Officer:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

TTerrible posted:

My suggestion for basing was a highway with palm trees either side.

That and some glowy grid lines on the bases.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally got around to assembling and priming my new pack of skeletons, though I jumped the gun and primed white when it was still a bit too cold. I guess we'll see how they turn out!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
vanguard vets done!

with them a backlog is finished off!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been away from the thread for a while so it's probably more noticeable for me, but your painting has really improved! I'm jealous because I think I will not have progressed since I last painted.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Working on Aleya today, got 90% of the way through at the weekend but had to strip the bloody thing as the shoulder pads wouldn't fit so it's getting re-done in one piece this time!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Count_Brass posted:

Working on Aleya today, got 90% of the way through at the weekend but had to strip the bloody thing as the shoulder pads wouldn't fit so it's getting re-done in one piece this time!

Looking really good so far. Metallics are on point

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hixson posted:

Don't worry i have a big stupid Night Lord tank on my painting table this very second

big stupid tank has arrived

and it in action, sneaking with the boys

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Z the IVth posted:

Haven't posted anything for such a long time. Here's some recent output.

That whole post is incredible, but the work on this dress is astounding.i love the red just under her eyes, her back, and how you made the fabric seem sheer in places. This is hands down the best dress I've ever seen painted.

Amazing work!

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Does anyone have a guide on or any tips for painting black talons? Everything I am finding is for tan bone and I want more like what an eagle has.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I've been away from the thread for a while so it's probably more noticeable for me, but your painting has really improved! I'm jealous because I think I will not have progressed since I last painted.

Thanks! I think one of the main things that have changed is that as time goes on I go for more extreme contrast either in the main colours or the highlights. It's a lot more fun if nothing else. :v:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The first minis I've painted in about 15 years. I overdid the base coat layering in some areas, leading to some loss of detail but nothing catastrophic.

Basing and more detail (freehand chapter icons etc.) to come later. These guys were a warm up for the primaris lieutenant in phobos armour.

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014

Two Headed Calf posted:

Does anyone have a guide on or any tips for painting black talons? Everything I am finding is for tan bone and I want more like what an eagle has.

I use Vallejo model color "US olive drab"(70.887) for a base, and then glaze black contrast and finish with gloss varnish if you want them to look murderously sharp.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A wrap on my first covid project. I'm satisfied with him.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Tried my first bit of OSL on Stormsire's Cursebreakers. Really should have followed a guide instead of freestyling but it turned out ok in the end. Might do a bit more on a few spots.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s good, very striking.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
photographing purple is literally impossible

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Couldn't sleep last night, so I got up and spent the early morning, as well as intermittent points in the day continuing on Sister Superior Amelia Novenia Amalia Nevalia Amelia Bedelia Amalia Novena.

Something you may notice is that there are bits of white sticking out on various points, and that's because of two reasons: 1.) I didn't actually glue the model to the base, because I wanted to paint it separately. The issue, though, is that resulted in me having to handle the model itself to paint it, which results in the paints rubbing off on the edges; 2.) Because of how fiddly the various details are, I can't reach some spots without potentially getting spots on other areas. More-and-more, sub-assembly painting seems like it saves a lot of stress.

I dunno; been sort of down today, maybe in part because of how the model turned out. :smith:

On a plus, side, I did get a lot of other models I had assembled primed today:

It's a little hard to tell, but I tried doing zenithal highlighting on the Mk.III Marines with black and white rattlecan primer.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 10, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Max Wilco posted:

Couldn't sleep last night, so I got up and spent the early morning, as well as intermittent points in the day continuing on Sister Superior Amelia Novenia Amalia Nevalia Amelia Bedelia Amalia Novena.

Something you may notice is that there are bits of white sticking out on various points, and that's because of two reasons: 1.) I didn't actually glue the model to the base, because I wanted to paint it separately. The issue, though, is that resulted in me having to handle the model itself to paint it, which results in the paints rubbing off on the edges; 2.) Because of how fiddly the various details are, I can't reach some spots without potentially getting spots on other areas. More-and-more, sub-assembly painting seems like it saves a lot of stress.

She seems to have nice wide ankles; Why didnt you just drill that right leg and pin her to a cork or something? Or lightly and temporarily glue her to a different base? (doesnt even need to be a real base, I currently have a malifaux figure with tiny ankles who is eventually going on a scenic base "based" on a bottle cap because that'll be nice and easy to slide a blade under her feet and unbase her when shes done) There are definitely solutions that dont involve rubbing paint off with your fingers.

As for the hard to reach spots, that can be an issue, yeah. But try anyway. Getting a spot of dark paint on the inner sleeve will stand out less than a big chunk of her side still showing white undercoat. Plus you can have a second clean brush on standby to wipe off the paint you didnt mean to apply, and if that doesnt work you can always just patch up the blue on the arm once the black has dried. Also if you are planning to wash the model in my experience that can help hide a multitude of sins.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

photographing purple is literally impossible

This is still true, but here

WIP of another bone armour SdT guy

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Posted an article on my powerswords on Goonhammer.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

Posted an article on my powerswords on Goonhammer.

Both the power sword and the paint scheme are hella rad

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This is still true, but here

WIP of another bone armour SdT guy

Do you have a black background you can shoot against? Your camera sensor might freak out less for dark colors with a similar background.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up a Reaper Cave Troll and Wererat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up a Reaper Cave Troll and Wererat.

I like the paint jobs, but... Is that wererat dabbing?