Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So could this just be regular Sephiroth showing up early, seeing the timeghosts and deciding to gently caress with them?

I suppose he implies the stuff about the 7 seconds that from the music cue and fan obsessionism everyone assumes has to be about preventing Aeris's death which suggests future knowledge.

Right now everything about him seems like the biggest vague spot and unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In VII proper the "real" Sephiroth is stuck in the northern crater throughout the entire game and the Sephiroths that show up are all Jenova, so who knows who/what this one is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If this really is an alternate universe/time traveling Sephiroth then are there two Sephiroths in the world? The alt-universe one and the Northern Crater one?

Because that would be pretty funny

Alternatively there's no "alt universe" aspect and this is Jenova/Sephiroth but with some way of seeing the future. Not really sure yet.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
This was one of my favorite interactions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvODe01lclU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Avalerion posted:

In VII proper the "real" Sephiroth is stuck in the northern crater throughout the entire game and the Sephiroths that show up are all Jenova, so who knows who/what this one is.
Seems like in this, a lot of the visions are just Sephiroth loving with Cloud through J-cells. But he can also posess the clones and make them look like him, so the ones that are seen in Shinra HQ by other people are those. (The hooded dudes are kinda shown carrying Jenova's headless body out of ShinRa HQ instead of it walking out in the guise of Sephiroth - and honestly, this is way less confusing than the original.)

But I have no idea if the Seph from the mad endgame in Crossroads of Destiny or Edge of Creation are timetravelling, dimension hopping Sephiroth - or North Crater projection Sephiroth with paralell universe insight from the Arbiters of Fate.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wasn't gonna get ff7r but now I am

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Are the garbage bag ghosts just there so they don't have to care about plotholes?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Onmi posted:

There's a lot of implication in the text of "poo poo's going to die and there's really gently caress all we can ACTUALLY do about it." Bugenhagen especially says a lot in that vein. That everyone's going to die out anyway. And, as poo poo as it is, Dirge of Cerberus continues that line of thought, saying the ultimate goal of the planet is to die and join the Cosmic Lifestream (The Cosmicstream?) something something Chaos, something something end of all life. Like... it's a pretty FF7 'theme' that is "struggling against the inevitability of death"

Kinda depressing thinking of it like that though, honestly.

The idea of a cosmic lifestream was a good one in a game crowded with a lot of really lovely ones. I like the idea that the planet isn’t exempt from mortality and the cycle of death and rebirth, and that that system scales to an interplanetary level, and potentially even further than that. It’s a solid theme that reaonates with the original game and I wouldn’t mind if they brought it back for the remake trilogy (sans all the chaos/omega bullshit).

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
If one the talking points people have about Part 2 is gonna be along the lines "How are they possibly gonna make the Midgar Zolom seem cool now?" just like, just make it the actual size of the Midgardsormr. Make that sucker a new sort of Bio-WEAPON for the planet to use.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Calaveron posted:

The original intent of the ending was absolutely that Holy eliminated all human beings

I never took it that way. I took it as being about Midgar being retaken by nature or whatever that used all the mako energy it did to power itself. And the children laughing was that people learned to flourish without that kind of thing. And RedXIII descendants were just to show that those old species that he was the last one were restoring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think holy killed anyone. Meteor actually did some of its job because holy went off too late. It needed the boost from Aeris. I'd always thought that Midgar people got killed while people in far flung areas survived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I don't think holy killed anyone. Meteor actually did some of its job because holy went off too late. It needed the boost from Aeris. I'd always thought that Midgar people got killed while people in far flung areas survived.

Holy was unleashed too late and while it was stopping Meteor, both were so close to the planet that the resulting explosion would have been bad for everyone.

The Lifestream appeared and pushed Holy AND Meteor away from the planet. The end result was that the damage was minimized. (As shown by the fact that Midgar was still intact at the end, even if overgrown.)

There is some argument about ambiguity "did Holy then kill all the humans afterwards??" but the fact that both Holy and Meteor were pushed away and the last shot is Aerith smiling seems to indicate "probably not." It's ambiguous intentionally but there is plenty of evidence for humanity surviving too.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ImpAtom posted:

There is some argument about ambiguity "did Holy then kill all the humans afterwards??" but the fact that both Holy and Meteor were pushed away and the last shot is Aerith smiling seems to indicate "probably not." It's ambiguous intentionally but there is plenty of evidence for humanity surviving too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I dunno, I feel the way that holy/the life stream flashes right before cut to Aeris, cut to black and then 500 years later to me, it communicates, and after the foreshadowing about holy's role on the planet, that all humans returned to the life stream to fix the situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Dqy2jVqY0
9:25 if it didn’t copy the time code
Again the entire thing is open to interpretation but considering the theme of the game being the inevitability of death and being able to accept it I really like the idea that humanity just went extinct

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hell you could even interpret it as the planet absorbing people into the life stream for added power to push away Meteor and Holy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's a pretty big leap from "we will all die eventually" to just utter bleak hopelessness, though, and "literally every sentient character we've met who's not named Red XIII dies in the ending" is about as bleak and hopeless as you get. FFVII isn't a bleak game. It gets dark at times, but like any Final Fantasy, there's always a thread of hope, too, and having the supposed extinction of humanity accompanied by such a triumphant theme and a calm smile is just way out of left field for the game's tone and story.

I mean obviously this argument is moot anyway because we know "canonically" what happens, but it still just seems like a complete swerve to me to read the ending as being that bleak after a game like FFVII.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's a pretty big leap from "we will all die eventually" to just utter bleak hopelessness, though, and "literally every sentient character we've met who's not named Red XIII dies in the ending" is about as bleak and hopeless as you get. FFVII isn't a bleak game. It gets dark at times, but like any Final Fantasy, there's always a thread of hope, too.

I mean obviously this argument is moot anyway because we know "canonically" what happens, but it still just seems like a complete swerve to me to read the ending as being that bleak after a game like FFVII.

The game also tells you that going back into the lifestream isn’t like, oblivion and your spirit will be used for something else so I don’t think it’s meant to be bleak

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I appreciate that early Cloud is not only not the angstdweeb he had been for the past 20 years, but he resembles Zack in Crisis Core so much.

That even comes down to his dickishness to Avalanche, because while Zack was a nice guy, he was totally a corporate bootlicker.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I finished watching a full gameplay. If the game is rereleased for the PS5 I'll definitely be getting it since the combat system looks super fun and the graphics are amazing (don't have a PS4 currently and don't plan on getting one for it to be replaced in a few months).

Overall I stand by my point that the game would be an A+ with me where it not for that last hour. The animuh fight, the need to turn Sephiroth's quest for godhood into Sephiroth's quest for edgy goodhood, and the survival of 2 (potentially 3 if Zack turns out to be alive) characters did not sit well with me at all, specially when the remake spents time developing the Avalanche members in order to make their deaths more impactful only to end up backpedaling it, and when even frigging Advent Children's ending went "yeah, we know you really like these 2 characters, but nope, we are not bringing them back to life cause we are not hacks"

I'm looking forward for part 2, though I wish they hadn't advertised the game so heavily as a remake when it's actually a re-imagining, cause a lot of people that had never played the original are gonna play it expecting it to be like it.
Also, quarantine might be getting to me cause I swear this galaxy thingy is shaped like Safer Sephiroth, which if intentional is a neat detail.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 10, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not really sure that Sephiroth is any more edgy than he was in the original. Dude was incredibly extra and over-dramatic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My opinion about FF7 is that it's actually underrated in some ways and that some of the core plot stuff surrounding Cloud is good and unique for a JRPG like this. I wasn't a big fan of it when I originally played it as a teenager, but in retrospect it's good. It's particularly interesting finding out that Tifa is aware that Cloud is basically mentally ill for much of the game and fabricated this whole past of him being the badass SOLDIER when he was actually just some random employee/non-capital-letter soldier and his buddy was the SOLDIER.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I am not really sure that Sephiroth is any more edgy than he was in the original. Dude was incredibly extra and over-dramatic.

In the original he wanted to drink planet juice to become god of planetos. Here he apparently wants to get/defy whatever edge of creation is, potentially giving him hints of anti-villany instead of the straight up psychopath he was. And wants Cloud's help for it, despite not having a high opinion of Cloud in the original (which may imply he IS mutiverse time travelling Sephiroth).

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 10, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

My opinion about FF7 is that it's actually underrated in some ways and that some of the core plot stuff surrounding Cloud is good and unique for a JRPG like this. I wasn't a big fan of it when I originally played it as a teenager, but in retrospect it's good. It's particularly interesting finding out that Tifa is aware that Cloud is basically mentally ill for much of the game and fabricated this whole past of him being the badass SOLDIER when he was actually just some random employee/non-capital-letter soldier and his buddy was the SOLDIER.

Why are you spoilering the original in this thread of all places lmao.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

A Sometimes Food posted:

Why are you spoilering the original in this thread of all places lmao.

Hey dude did you know Cait Sith dies? :eyepop:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJQMZ8k-wKA

This will never not be funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lezard_valeth posted:

In the original he wanted to drink planet juice to become god of planetos. Here he apparently wants to get/defy whatever edge of creation is, potentially giving him hints of anti-villany instead of the straight up psychopath he was. And wants Cloud's help for it, despite not having a high opinion of Cloud in the original (which may imply he IS mutiverse time travelling Sephiroth).

I mean dude wants to defy destiny because if he breaks it he can actually win

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I took the lift instead of the stairs. Both have funny moments.

The Shinra AV presentation is amazing lol

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 10, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Game is super cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you do all the battle intel stuff for Chadley (whose name I love) you get bahamut materia.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
remake's dyin' cloud

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I just popped in to a random streamer showing this game and they were in some kind of shop with a wind up music player of some sort.

This was definitely what was playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZquyMBTitQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

So I just popped in to a random streamer showing this game and they were in some kind of shop with a wind up music player of some sort.

This was definitely what was playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZquyMBTitQ

Weird remixes of songs is one of the collectables.

Including the vocal theme song of Stamp the Dog

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Little bummed that there's no FF15 style fishing, but I get it being set in Midgar. They better add it to the next one where you're wandering all over the wilderness though.:argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Little bummed that there's no FF15 style fishing, but I get it being set in Midgar. They better add it to the next one where you're wandering all over the wilderness though.:argh:

This has so many minigames I am absolutely positive they will add fishing at some point in the next one. Probably around Junon or Wutai or something.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Haha only serious but not really suggestion: that Squenix is daft enough to really give Nomura and company full rein to just toss in whatever, we've really broken continuity of time and space, and the Sephiroth in FFVIIr is the same one from the Dissidia games.

Already has a track record of trying to derail poo poo, even, with a peek behind the curtain of destiny and gods pulling strings. Not afraid to kill himself in the process, either!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's really annoying that you can't access the Shinra training machine from the menu. You have to do the entire chapter of bullshit to get to it. I didn't want to do it on hard because it probably eats your mp with no refunds.

Lol I loving loaded an old save, walked two meters and it wrote over my autosave on hard

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 10, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This endgame system is dogshit in so many ways

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

Lol I loving loaded an old save, walked two meters and it wrote over my autosave on hard

Pull last night's version down from the Cloud?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah it was 45 mins game play and not a big deal so I did the thing I missed and then learned I didn't need to do what I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'm pretty conflicted over this spoiler stuff, though reading this thread has mitigated my nerd irritation somewhat. The Hojo video totally sold me on the time ghosts concept, but I still dislike the overindulgent Advent Children style building-throwing, the overexposure of Sephiroth and the garbage "deep" dialogue. The comparison to Twin Peaks S3 is spot on and it makes me wish they had actually called it Final Fantasy VII: The Return, it's basically the same concept but like a hundred times less subtle and (at the end) steeped in anime exposition bullshit. I'm still somewhat disappointed that it's not a better-looking, better-playing and better-translated version of the original, but I think I'm making my peace with it.

It'll be interesting to see how severe the backlash is gonna be, but they're actually being kinda smart with the potential derailing of the story. If the sales for the second part reflect a poor reception for this type of remake, they can pretty much wrap it up in the third one.