Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you were attempting to investigate whether bad aesthetics can constitute a moral failing then harry potter is certainly the strongest argument I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

People have pointed out that pidcock probably wasn't expected to lose her seat. And I would also point out that a lot of the things that would have made corbyn the ideal PM also make him unable to do things like plan succession. I do not think there is some candidate who believes wholly in the democratic right of people to govern themselves and for them to be free of the predations of capital and state, and who also machines control of the party as effectively as stalin. The two are not necessarily opposed but I think they are kind of opposed in mindset. And the latter would look extremely untrustworthy even if they existed.

Again, structures. You do not get nice and good people who cynically plan to overtake the party.

Pidcock was a virtual unknown too. Not putting a successor into one of the great offices of state and letting the party/country get to know them was a mistake. And for what it's worth I don't agree that really basic forward planning like that is incompatible with being a lefty leader.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is staggeringly unlikely to coincide with a long and good service in the labour party, however, due to various effects during its recent history.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It strikes me that you're looking for a unicorn to lead. I'd like to say that the left isn't necessarily being too nice to fight dirty, but if I had believed RLB was capable of it I'd have voted for her.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 10, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

If you were attempting to investigate whether bad aesthetics can constitute a moral failing then harry potter is certainly the strongest argument I can think of.

Why? If we know that these idiots, that are essential to our potential coalition, would respond to being called some version of Dumbledores Army then why not do it? It's so loving easy the books are good if that is their holy text then awesome let's work with it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Because we're muggles in their headspace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Why? If we know that these idiots, that are essential to our potential coalition, would respond to being called some version of Dumbledores Army then why not do it? It's so loving easy the books are good if that is their holy text then awesome let's work with it.

The books are terrible for a variety of reasons, not least of which the spectacular degree of their commodification makes them all the more aesthetically repellant. They actively worsen everything associated with them by proximity. And of course that's the main thing people like about them, their ubiquity, the massive piles upon piles of themed poo poo you can purchase to demonstrate your affinity with other consumers of the product. It's one of the most capitalist aesthetics I can think of except possibly super hero movies, except blessedly I have managed not to see any of those.

The liberalism/capitalism is baked into the property at its very core, not just diegetically but like, in its whole mode of expression too. Its aesthetic both internal and as collectively expressed is more intrinsically liberal IMO than big stupid concrete art deco is nazi or tower blocks are soviet.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 10, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

In Portsmouth the clapping(and pots and pans, and shouting) is accompanied by every loving boat in the naval base going BWAAAAARP on their horns. My cats hate it.

So glad I moved out of that shithole.

I mean, I moved to the toriest village in the world. But they're so tory that they wouldn't demean themselves by standing on their doorsteps and clapping like plebs. So I can pretend that I'm not in a tory shithole.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The ol' shithole horseshoe technique :hmmyes:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

The books are terrible for a variety of reasons, not least of which the spectacular degree of their commodification makes them all the more aesthetically repellant.

I think chicks like it because they can imagine waving a wand and being a warrior hero tbh.

OwlFancier posted:

The liberalism/capitalism is baked into the property at its very core, not just diegetically but like, in its whole mode of expression too. Its aesthetic both internal and as collectively expressed is more intrinsically liberal IMO than big stupid concrete art deco is nazi or tower blocks are soviet.

You are 100% overthinking it but go off king.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of all the books I read as a kid I think I remember harry potter the least. I certainly can't remember why I liked it enough to read most of it. I do remember getting bored of it around book four though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

Fucks sake man. You're making me want to read Harry Potter and then finding a leftist critique of it that doesn't reject it.

Just...fucks sake. I know we've got downtime because of the rona but I was hoping to watch all of The Good Place and 100% the RE3 Remake. And now you've put this idea into my head. How dare you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why not read something good like His Dark Materials or Garth Nix instead? Or Pratchett, always a good shout.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but there's no guarantee it'll stick. Look how much poo poo it took for them to find something that stuck with Corbyn.

And likewise, they'll do it to any Labour leader left of Blair including Starmer. Sorry, multimillionaire Sir Keir Starmer
Tbh I think it would have stuck as the press would have attacked her as being Corbyn 2 or his antisemitic student or some poo poo, or even to go as far as "crazy lefty woman". That was my one worry for RLB. Its so poo poo. :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I tried Harry Potter, I really did. I even tried listening to the Stephen Fry spoken word (back when it first came out). But just didn't get on with it. Watched about 10 mins of one of the films, didn't grab me at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Congratulations on your good taste.

HDM is absolutely worth a reread as an adult IMO because you can have a lot of fun with the incidental details about the world. Such as the fact that Texas is part of New Spain and there are Skraelings visiting the college, and east anglia is still mostly trackless fen. And that the inventor of the crookes radiometer was an experimental theologian.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 10, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Glad I refreshed isborisjohnsondead.com before reading the thread, because 400 new posts really got my hopes up.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I tried Harry Potter, I really did. I even tried listening to the Stephen Fry spoken word (back when it first came out). But just didn't get on with it. Watched about 10 mins of one of the films, didn't grab me at all.

Likewise.

Though I also grew up reading all sorts of ‘boarding school adventure’ stories- the sort of poo poo with dorm feasts, wizard pranks (as opposed to Wizard pranks) and japes and so on, and HP just felt like a poo poo version of that.

Though I think if HP had crossed my radar when I was seven or eight I would have absolutely lapped it up; I was in my mid teens when the books first became a Thing and by then thoroughly embarrassed by the poo poo I used to read (Jennings books were my jam as a kid), so I turned against it by default.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've watched a mix of the Harry Potter movies, but Prisoner of Azkaban is legit a great movie from start to finish, and I think that has to do with the director being Alfonso Cuarón, the man who made thread favourite Children of Men just two years later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have seen it but I don't remember it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I was more into movies and comics as a kid. The visual world appeals to me more than words. John Constantine, Hellblazer was my jam and I've never seen any live action version nail it.

Constantine is a grizzled liverpudlian with the weathered face of a man who smokes like a chimney. He's not a babyfaced californian.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keanu Reeves and Tilda Swinton however are a winning combination for any film. Constantine is a good film having zero interest in the source material.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
As its own thing the movie is great. I particularly enjoy the camerawork and the effects on the moments where dying people transition into the limbo/pre hell space.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

having zero interest in the source material.

You'd like it. There's a running gag that Margaret Thatcher is a literal archdemon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

Likewise.

Though I also grew up reading all sorts of ‘boarding school adventure’ stories- the sort of poo poo with dorm feasts, wizard pranks (as opposed to Wizard pranks) and japes and so on, and HP just felt like a poo poo version of that.

Though I think if HP had crossed my radar when I was seven or eight I would have absolutely lapped it up; I was in my mid teens when the books first became a Thing and by then thoroughly embarrassed by the poo poo I used to read (Jennings books were my jam as a kid), so I turned against it by default.

Well I was wondering if it was an age thing, I was in my late 30s when HP came out. But then I have friends my own age (and older) who got really into HP and still are!. I was a bit shocked when a good friend who is 55 was over the moon to go to an HP exhibition last autumn with her mother who was equally delighted! My friend was equally shocked that I have never read more than a few pages of an HP.

As a kid I used to love the school adventure stories - Mallory Towers - how I longed for a chocolate brown school tunic with an orange belt - with the pranks and discovering the headmistress was actually the male head of a crime gang (as in the 1960s St Trinians films, not the more recent travesties), or gangs of smugglers were using the school to store stolen barrels of whisky or whatever. When my school friends were into reading Jackie magazine, I preferred June & School Friend with The Four Marys etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have vague memories of reading a bunch of famous five stuff when I was very young but I can't remember any of the content. I did read a lot of Redwall too and that was a good series. Also has communist shrews.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

I've watched a mix of the Harry Potter movies, but Prisoner of Azkaban is legit a great movie from start to finish, and I think that has to do with the director being Alfonso Cuarón, the man who made thread favourite Children of Men just two years later.

Yeah the first 2 are absolute dogshit films direçtes by Chris Columbus, an awful director, then Cuaron made an excellently dark and weird film, then the rest were varying amounts of ok with a fairly limp ending. Just lol at ever reading those books tho

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I didn't read the books or watch the films.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's also allowed

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the first 2 are absolute dogshit films direçtes by Chris Columbus, an awful director, then Cuaron made an excellently dark and weird film, then the rest were varying amounts of ok with a fairly limp ending. Just lol at ever reading those books tho

Film 6 was unusually good. They shot it as a Cold War spy thriller.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/1248345191070797834?s=19

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/1248164412890001410?s=19

loving amazing stuff, Starmer boys

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I watched the Harry Potter films. I was young when they started and was all "yeah that's kinda cool I guess" but by the time the last movie was out I was playing DnD with my friends. By that point, there's some neat visuals in there I guess but the story and the concept is pretty crummy compared to literally anything my buddies have conceived of with a d20 in hand.

Imagine this as a backstory:

I was visited as a child by a lich who has many phylacteries. Because my character was chosen to be one of these phylacteries, members of a prestigious wizarding academy enlisted me to be in the fight against the badguy, but only because my death is a requirement to defeat him. That's fine, because my parents are dead and I lived with my abusive uncle in squalid conditions until I was groomed by professor hetcon into being a child soldier.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Almost as if the right wing shitheads really, performatively want us to believe a couple of junior appointments mean all is lost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

I was more into movies and comics as a kid. The visual world appeals to me more than words. John Constantine, Hellblazer was my jam and I've never seen any live action version nail it.

Matt Ryan nailed it so well in the shortlived TV series that they brought him back to reprise the role in the Arrowverse shows.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I stayed out of the last thread broo ha ha but

Failed Imagineer posted:

Azza I would forgive you having opinions as bad as pissflaps if you weren't an equally tedious oval office too. At least you drew some funny cartoons before your wafer-thin interest in leftist politics evaporated tho

Also,

Azza Bamboo posted:

Who would you pick?

I'm not asking who you'd not pick, who would you go for?

Corbyn? Would he be in your cabinet?

Yes, Foreign Secretary, natch.

Pratchett ->> Terry Goodkind -> Potter

At least the cockwomble libertarian understands that he has an ideology.

E:

OwlFancier posted:

I have vague memories of reading a bunch of famous five stuff when I was very young but I can't remember any of the content. I did read a lot of Redwall too and that was a good series. Also has communist shrews.

Redwall is good, if a bit Christian Lit for modern sensibilities. I still have a soft spot for Swallows and Amazons.

Also, the only good Potter story is Harry Potter and the Natural 20.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 10, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If the best you've got is "you're a oval office" I don't feel too badly off here.

RockyB posted:

Yes, Foreign Secretary, natch.

I think it'd be a good own to the media for about five minutes.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 10, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

Redwall is good, if a bit Christian Lit for modern sensibilities.

It's strange in that it's religion shaped but it doesn't actually have much actual religion in it. Like they all live in an abbey but they don't appear to have any actual religion.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Much like Narnia or Lord of the Rings it has a very post-WW2 fight against evil aesthetic to it. I'd like to think that these days we have a bit more of a greyscale understanding of 'evil'. That said if I came back to it now without 20 years of built up tolerance, I'm sure I'd find it just as engaging as I did the first time through.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjqqRlgzv6c

Oh yeah, and dear god do I identify with the Abbot popping mints constantly.

Fake Edit: Azza it was less of the oval office and more of the tedious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess if I was going to criticise it based on memory it has the weird "animals are sapient but defined entirely by their species" thing.

Though if you took species as an analogue for class rather than race (as the predator/prey relationship does lend itself well to) then you could probably do a left reading of it. Generally the baddies are obligate carnivores which makes sense from the perspective of a group of small furry mammals.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the notion of a simple good/evil conflict, the issues are really all in how they're characterised, making real people who are actually bad, the good guys, and using the wrong methods.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

OwlFancier posted:

I guess if I was going to criticise it based on memory it has the weird "animals are sapient but defined entirely by their species" thing.

Though if you took species as an analogue for class rather than race (as the predator/prey relationship does lend itself well to) then you could probably do a left reading of it. Generally the baddies are obligate carnivores which makes sense from the perspective of a group of small furry mammals.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the notion of a simple good/evil conflict, the issues are really all in how they're characterised, making real people who are actually bad, the good guys, and using the wrong methods.

There is however the one where a stoat/weasel is brought up in Red Wall Abbey and well jeez he just can't help but be a little poo poo/giant detriment because he's one of the vermin races. He redeems himself in the end, though. By dying.