Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The typing is actually relevant in standard due to Castles.

e: and Nissa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
ya you probably just play 4c krasis/uro for free now, its going to be very dumb. if there ever was a standard that needed a blood moon, its this one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

That alternate art is beautiful but christ almighty do these lands suck by any reasonable metric.

Speak on that

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
alt art on this set kicks rear end. should just be the standard art. dumb instincts on wotcs part

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is a pretty substantial upgrade, and it's the first time you can grab a triland with a fetch in older formats.

Murmuring Bosk :smugbert:

But for real, these are bonkers.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tainen posted:

Tricycle Lands

I tried to tell you guys back in January but you were too busy arguing about how bad commander is :(
its bad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kalvanoo posted:

alt art on this set kicks rear end. should just be the standard art. dumb instincts on wotcs part

:same:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The tri-cycle lands are very good.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Well, WotC figured out how to juice the sales of Ikoria for eternal formats for sure. Aggro will spend the next standard cycle in the wilderness as 4c good stuff piles get decided by time for the next 3 months. This is actually fun to me.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Well, WotC figured out how to juice the sales of Ikoria for eternal formats for sure. Aggro will spend the next standard cycle in the wilderness as 4c good stuff piles get decided by time for the next 3 months. This is actually fun to me.

have you played standard for the last like year?

mono red and aristocrats also look like they're going to remain key players in the meta from what we've seen so far.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Mat Cauthon posted:

That alternate art is beautiful but christ almighty do these lands suck by any reasonable metric.

Lol what explain yourself immediately

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

a discord i'm in

apparently it's bad because they're fetchable and any eternal format with fetches is going to want it which means they'll be like $20 and impossible to find in standard

i basically went 'oh, paper prices. ok' and went elsewhere

i doubt the average modern deck would want more than 1 of these, and i can't imagine legacy would want any at all

and i don't think an in--print rare land has cost $20 ever since mythics were invented

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

i doubt the average modern deck would want more than 1 of these, and i can't imagine legacy would want any at all

and i don't think an in--print rare land has cost $20 ever since mythics were invented

Fabled passage?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Look Around You posted:

Fabled passage?

egg on my face

luckily i haven't played paper magic in years

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kas posted:

Lol what explain yourself immediately

fadam posted:

Speak on that

I didn't realize they were fetchable on first glance, apologies.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

have you played standard for the last like year?

mono red and aristocrats also look like they're going to remain key players in the meta from what we've seen so far.

mono red is the worst most played deck at the moment imo. I hope I'm wrong and there are some really nice aggro decks that emerge! Abzan or Mardu humans would be sick

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
No nonbasic land should be rarer than Uncommon, change my mind.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tainen posted:

I tried to tell you guys back in January but you were too busy arguing about how bad commander is :(
its bad

Nah man I saw your spoiler then and appreciated it. My friends and me were speculating for like an entire draft on whether or not they could make them typed. Cheers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

mono red is the worst most played deck at the moment imo. I hope I'm wrong and there are some really nice aggro decks that emerge! Abzan or Mardu humans would be sick

My win percentage with red has steadily dropped from like 56% and is at like 53% now over my last 100 best of 1s on arena. Most of that is likely due to my 59% winrate vs the mirror which is by far my most played matchup. I'd agree it's not that good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Getting your deck data from Bo1 isn’t a great plan. The Bo1 meta is basically a different format from traditional ranked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alris posted:

I think lands being rare were one of the few things that WOTC openly admitted was rare to drive sales. I too believe that making lands rares and mythics was a mistake.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Random booster packs are an inherently unethical way to sell a competitive card game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alris posted:

Idk legendary lands like Eye of Ugin feel cool enough to be mythic but overall sure I agree

This of course feeds into my desire that mythics be cool over neccesarily being pushed for constructed but that doesn't sell packs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

It goes right into my People Gettin' Mad About Commander Cards in Standard Sets EDH Deck.

I get mad about them balancing commander cards around standard, Basalt Monolith did not need another infinite from the command zone, and all the rocks like Chrome Mox and Sol Ring didn't need to add even more, and it didn't need to, also, in addition, be able to dig for your Thassa's Oracle.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Getting your deck data from Bo1 isn’t a great plan. The Bo1 meta is basically a different format from traditional ranked.

Wow really no way

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Mono red is just in need of some innovation. I've been playing it with a coupe slaying fires and a couple Phoenix of ash and it's really helped shore up some of the weaknesses, slaying fire in particular has felt very very good at closing out games. Ember Hauler is another card that has seemed quite strong

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Wow those tricycle lands are sweet. Great art on both normal and alt versions

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hey Tainen do you know the restriction on the UW companion?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Hey Tainen do you know the restriction on the UW companion?

It should be, starting deck has at least 20 cards above the minimum size and it blinks non land permanents when it etbs

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hey guys, those tricycle lands will probably see a lot of play in standard because it's slow enough that ETBT isn't as big a drawback, but they won't see any eternal play because any color fetchland is already a 5-color land in eternal formats and it's very rare that you need three colors on a single land. entering tapped is too big a downside to make up for those things. anyways, peace out.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

hey guys, those tricycle lands will probably see a lot of play in standard because it's slow enough that ETBT isn't as big a drawback, but they won't see any eternal play because any color fetchland is already a 5-color land in eternal formats and it's very rare that you need three colors on a single land. entering tapped is too big a downside to make up for those things. anyways, peace out.

i could see them being a one-of in 3-color decks just for the edge case where you'd be off a color if you fetched a dual in your opener, but this post is probably correct

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tainen posted:

last mythic

Going back to this, the point about being super powerful isn't about Llanowar Elves poo poo, it's about Arcum's Astrolabe and Mox Amber and similar more powerful cards in older formats. Most of the eggs too. This seems a fairly easy include in certain Urza decks (though note it doesn't combine with Urza itself) and also 4c Kethis in Pioneer, among other decks, which are already quite powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if there are artifact combo decks built around this card either.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can Robbie Trevino just do all the land arts now thanks

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

like, say you're playing abzan in modern, because you just stepped out of a time machine from 2014. your opening hand has black, green, and white cards. say it's a three lander.
1) are your lands three of the same shock? well then you're cut off from one of your colors, that kinda sucks. if one of them was a triland, you'd have all three colors, but you'd slow your development by a turn, which also sucks.
2) are your lands three shocks, not all the same? congrats, you have all three of your colors, and they all enter untapped if necessary.
3) is any of your lands a fetch? congratulations, you have all three of your colors, and they all enter untapped if necessary.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

whydirt posted:

Random booster packs are an inherently unethical way to sell a competitive card game

But it sure makes money

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tainen posted:

It should be, starting deck has at least 20 cards above the minimum size and it blinks non land permanents when it etbs

Hmm that's a pretty rough restriction. Thanks though!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kalvanoo posted:

dumb instinct or just wotc doing what it does best? their instinct wasn't to add more cool art to sets when they finally realized people really liked artstyles that veered outside their norm. their instinct was to find a way of monetizing it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

On paper these tri-lands seem really good, but is any format with fetches actually going to bother playing these? Mana is already basically perfect in Modern.

For commander they are great, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

On paper these tri-lands seem really good, but is any format with fetches actually going to bother playing these? Mana is already basically perfect in Modern.

I think that’s the kind of thing you can’t properly evaluate without hundreds or thousands of games, even if our intuitions lead us to one conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Colours can still get a little sketchy if you're playing spells with high colour requirements, I could see one copy sneaking in that you grab the first time you'd otherwise get a tapped shockland.

I doubt you'd ever play more than one.