Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's like y'all didn't even watch Kevin Costners The Postman. No apocalypse stops the mail getting through

Actually I'll say while The Postman is a decent watch anyone interested in postapocalyptic fiction should check out the original novel it's really good.

*edit snipetax

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Renaissance Spam posted:

Actually I'll say while The Postman is a decent watch anyone interested in postapocalyptic fiction should check out the original novel it's really good.

*edit snipetax

I remember enjoying it, it's not The Stand or The Road but it's decent

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mat Cauthon posted:

We will still have mail, it's will just get privatized to the lowest bidder yet still cost you way more than you pay in taxes for the service as it exists right now, and poor people will be even more disenfranchised, exploited, and ostracized from civil society.

Private companies literally don't want it because they don't want to be on the hook for providing reliable daily services to areas in Bumfuck, Nowheresville. The loss of the USPS would be a catastrophe and would probably cause a huge host of small businesses to immediately crumble, as well.

It's not going to happen because it can't happen, but it's extremely bad if we're going to play chicken with the USPS' ability to continue operating.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

e.pilot posted:

Minorities?

African Americans?

People of Color?

Black People?

Nah, Blacks

Good job USA Today.

Meh. Some black people prefer "black", some prefer "African-American", "Caribbean-American" etc. I'm fine with "black" or "African-American". This isn't an issue worth fretting about.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
IMO just disolve all public works and programs and put all of those people to work making guillotines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

We will still have mail, it's will just get privatized to the lowest bidder yet still cost you way more than you pay in taxes for the service as it exists right now, and poor people will be even more disenfranchised, exploited, and ostracized from civil society.

LMAO if you think Trump will be able to get a functional privatized mail system going in any reasonable time.

What its guaranteed is it will gently caress the economy even more.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court rules that Congress is not obligated to enable the existence of the Postal Service, only that it could if it wanted.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cool, how much will it help for me who's student loan debt is all from a private school

Oh wait, it won't even get rid of the accumulated interest.

Da gently caress did you choose to study that cost you over 200k in loan debts :psyboom:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Parrotine posted:

Da gently caress did you choose to study that cost you over 200k in loan debts :psyboom:

Does it loving matter?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Parrotine posted:

It was a private for-profit law school (don't go to law school)

I had a merit based scholarship throughout my entire time there too! So my classmates have even higher balances

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Super-Id posted:

IMO just disolve all public works and programs and put all of those people to work making guillotines.

I like the cut of your jib.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Private companies literally don't want it because they don't want to be on the hook for providing reliable daily services to areas in Bumfuck, Nowheresville. The loss of the USPS would be a catastrophe and would probably cause a huge host of small businesses to immediately crumble, as well.

It's not going to happen because it can't happen, but it's extremely bad if we're going to play chicken with the USPS' ability to continue operating.

Yeah, a lot of people don't know it, but the post office provides last leg service or partial service for a lot of routes that FedEx or UPS would just tell to gently caress off if they could. If the Post Office goes down entire communities just won't be able to get home mail or packages, they'll have to use a private, paid receiver service or something. Which would be really cool after we switched most of the economy to e-commerce.

UPS or FedEx would love to pick up certain profitable routes, but they really don't want to step up and be the post office.

A lot of smaller businesses, my little online shop included, also depend on the post office's basic commercial rates. FedEx and UPS don't really want to deal with lower volume people or businesses that are just starting up.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Parrotine posted:

Med school, probably.

Because putting some of your most important members of society in crushing debt before they're allowed to work is a good idea.

e:whoops nevermind its law school. Second sentence still stands, though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Meh. Some black people prefer "black", some prefer "African-American", "Caribbean-American" etc. I'm fine with "black" or "African-American". This isn't an issue worth fretting about.

It's not about the terminology or how people choose to self-identify on the basis of race, nationality, and ethnicity so much as the phrasing. Saying "Blacks" or "Asians" or "Mexicans" instead of "Black people" or "Asian people" or "Mexican people" makes you sound like you're late for your Klan meeting, regardless of the context. Also goes for saying "the gays" or whatever. Doesn't hurt to take the extra second (or extra ink, in this case) to humanize people that have been historically oppressed and deliberately dehumanized on the basis of race, ethnicity, etc.

It's just one of those things that refuses to go away, regardless of how many minorities and/or marginalized people bring it up once they are in journalism/academia/[insert professional environment here]. Just sucks.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 10, 2020

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Framboise posted:

Interesting. This whole time I thought it had to be consistent monthly payments.

In that case, cool, I'll take it.

The law is better than that. The text of the CARES act made clear that your suspended payments will count towards your 120 on time payments. Moreover, the Department of Education confirmed this - https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus#forbearance-questions.

Pretty surprising they didn’t try to gently caress people.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read
ft.com/2 hours ago
"This page provides an up-to-date visual narrative of the spread of Covid-19 so please check back regularly because we will be refreshing it with new graphics and features as the story evolves."

[The USA! continues to lead in the medal count in this summers fancy Olympics.]

Covid vs. US Daily Average Cause of Death
public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/8 Apr 2020

[COVID-19 has maintained its lead during the animated-deathly side games though.]

Fauci Warns Going Back To Normal Won’t ‘Be A Light Switch That You Turn On And Off’
huffpost.com/04/09/2020
'“Hopefully, by the time we get to the summer, we will have taken many steps in that direction,” he said. He added that Americans might be able to make plans for summer events only “if we do the things that we need to do to prevent the resurgence” of the virus.'

Gavin Newsom Declares California a ‘Nation-State’
bloomberg.com/April 9, 2020
"California this week declared its independence from the federal government’s feeble efforts to fight Covid-19 — and perhaps from a bit more. The consequences for the fight against the pandemic are almost certainly positive. The implications for the brewing civil war between Trumpism and America’s budding 21st-century majority, embodied by California’s multiracial liberal electorate, are less clear."

Oversight erased, Supreme Court hijacked: Trump turns the presidency into a dictatorship
usatoday.com/Apr. 9, 2020
"Trump has stripped away the levers of independent oversight until there's nothing left. Our democracy is in the midst of a three-alarm fire."

Bill O'Reilly: “Many people who are dying, both here and around the world, were on their last legs anyway”
mediamatters.org/04/08/20
"SEAN HANNITY (HOST): I want life back to normal, can you fix that in a simple way?

BILL O'REILLY: Oh man I wish I could, you know?

HANNITY: Oh, me too.

O'REILLY: But we're making little steps. Bernie Sanders, you know, he's -- he's gone, that's really good for everybody. The projections that you just mentioned are down to 60,000, I don't think it will be that high. 13,000 dead now in the USA. Many people who are dying, both here and around the world, were on their last legs anyway, and I don't want to sound callous about that.

HANNITY: You're gonna get -- hold on, you're going to get hammered for that.

O'REILLY: Well, I don't care. I mean, a simple man tells the truth."

Liberty University police issue arrest warrants for NYT, ProPublica reporters
thehill.com/04/09/20
"Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. on Wednesday said that arrest warrants had been issued for reporters from The New York Times and ProPublica after both publications wrote stories criticizing his decision last month to partially reopen his Virginia-based college."

'Extremely Alarming': Coronavirus Stimulus Law Allows the Federal Reserve to Hold Secret Meetings on Corporate Bailouts
commondreams.org/April 09, 2020
"A brief and obscure provision buried in the nearly 900-page coronavirus stimulus package passed by Congress last month authorizes the Federal Reserve to skirt longstanding transparency and accountability requirements as it doles out trillions of dollars in taxpayer money to large corporations."

Following Backlash Trump Admin Now Says Funding for COVID-19 Testing Sites Will Continue
rollingstone.com/April 9, 2020
"UPDATE: The Department of Health and Human Services is now saying they have halted their plans to end support for coronavirus testing sites to states on Friday, according to a Thursday night report from NPR.

The report goes to say that localities will be able to choose whether they want federal funding and assistance to continue."

Protesters try to disrupt Gov. Mike DeWine’s daily coronavirus briefing
cleveland.com/Today 2:59 PM
"The governor said earlier in the briefing that in the “next week or so,” his administration will release “a fairly sophisticated plan” to ease the state’s coronavirus restrictions as the crisis subsides."

Inmates Protest at Washington State Prison After Series of Positive COVID-19 Diagnoses
time.com/April 9, 2020
"More than 100 inmates at a Washington state prison facility in Monroe, Wash. staged a protest Wednesday, the same day officials announced that six prisoners had tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC)."

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Can't vote by mail if there's no mail taps forehead

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO if you think Trump will be able to get a functional privatized mail system going in any reasonable time.

What its guaranteed is it will gently caress the economy even more.

You assume that there's not some Trump flunkie who would buy it out and run it into the ground if it meant earning a slight profit and some favor with cheeto man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I had a merit based scholarship throughout my entire time there too! So my classmates have even higher balances
My brother has six figures of debt from law school as well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

You assume that there's not some Trump flunkie who would buy it out and run it into the ground if it meant earning a slight profit and some favor with cheeto man.

That's the point, and it will just sink the economy further.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1248390047163768837

You reap what you sow, you fucks.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's not about the terminology or how people choose to self-identify on the basis of race, nationality, and ethnicity so much as the phrasing. Saying "Blacks" or "Asians" or "Mexicans" instead of "Black people" or "Asian people" or "Mexican people" makes you sound like you're late for your Klan meeting, regardless of the context. Also goes for saying "the gays" or whatever. Doesn't hurt to take the extra second (or extra ink, in this case) to humanize people that have been historically oppressed and deliberately dehumanized on the basis of race, ethnicity, etc.

It's just one of those things that refuses to go away, regardless of how many minorities and/or marginalized people bring it up once they are in journalism/academia/[insert professional environment here]. Just sucks.

Let's not forget that "Mexican" is often a catch-all for Latino people, period.

If there are black people that are offended by using "blacks" then sure don't use it. I'm not offended but I'm also not the Spokesman for All Black People.

But black peoples' opinions on this term can get somewhat complex. Example:

NYTimes posted:

The one I have recently begun to hate is “African-American.” I think it perpetuates the myth that all blacks come from Africa and so there are some who think they should go back to Africa. So I’ve begun to use the term “black” again. Calling someone black “African American” is like calling me an “Israeli-American” just because I’m Jewish. I was not born in Israel; I was born here in the U.S. I am no more Israeli than your average black person is African. — Emily Brown

I've heard from other black people that they don't like the term "African-American" either.

"Black people" is probably the most neutral term, but I guess it can't hurt to ask people how they would like to be called.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 10, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

The Super-Id posted:

And let them eat...brains!? Yay!

( https://www.cdc.gov/prions/bse/index.html )

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

If there are black people that are offended by using "blacks" then sure don't use it. I'm not offended but I'm also not the Spokesman for All Black People.

But black people's opinions on this term can get somewhat complex. Example:

I've heard from other black people that they don't like the term "African-American" either.

"Black people" is probably the most neutral term, but I guess it can't hurt to ask people how they would like to be called.

It's sort of like how woke white people are really emphatic that you say "Native American" instead of "Indian" but most of them I know really don't give a poo poo (I've lived on a reservation for 25 years of my life and taught here the last 3).

In fact I got told off by a lady who hated the term "Native American" because America as a nation and concept was invented by Europeans. Her people (and hundreds of other indigenous nations) were here for thousands of years before white folks showed up, genocided them, and assigned them the label "Native American." She is not natively American, thank you very much.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I get the reason why people might not like the term "Native American," but using "Indian" reminds me of all the horrible "dots-not-feathers!" jokes I've heard.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nitrousoxide posted:

What school was it and how much was the scholarship?

You're at more than 110% of the average JD debt - and with a scholarship! The tuition must have been close to 2.5x the average (already high) law school tuition if the scholarship was a decent size.

That is egregious.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Prairie Bus posted:

The law is better than that. The text of the CARES act made clear that your suspended payments will count towards your 120 on time payments. Moreover, the Department of Education confirmed this - https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus#forbearance-questions.

That's.... actually pretty cool. I'm absolutely floored it passed the administration.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:black101:

https://twitter.com/WarrenforMI/status/1248128308551782401

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

But black peoples' opinions on this term can get somewhat complex. Example:

Agreed, self-identification is pretty subjective and influenced by all manner of factors. I prefer to identify as "Black" but my mom would probably say "African-American" if you asked her. Similarly I have some friends who use "Latinx" while their parents use "Hispanic", etc, etc. On the individual level I think it's always best to ask or wait for some sort of indicator. I just think that newspapers and other institutions that can influence public opinion to be slightly less lovely should go with the most humanizing option whenever possible.

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's sort of like how woke white people are really emphatic that you say "Native American" instead of "Indian" but most of them I know really don't give a poo poo (I've lived on a reservation for 25 years of my life and taught here the last 3).

In fact I got told off by a lady who hated the term "Native American" because America as a nation and concept was invented by Europeans. Her people (and hundreds of other indigenous nations) were here for thousands of years before white folks showed up, genocided them, and assigned them the label "Native American." She is not natively American, thank you very much.

I think the term de jure is "Indigenous people" or "First nations people", depending on where you are in the Americas and/or Turtle Island. If you know the actual designation of the sovereign tribal nation you should use that.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Prairie Bus posted:

Imagine the bill which passed through a Republican senate is more progressive than Joe Biden, drat

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think the term de jure is "Indigenous people" or "First nations people", depending on where you are in the Americas and/or Turtle Island. If you know the actual designation of the sovereign tribal nation you should use that.

The legal term in the U.S. is actually "American Indian."

See: https://www.bia.gov/bia

Although, they allow "Native American" to be used in some cases. But, in legal documents (including most tribal ID cards) they are referred to as "American Indians" and "Indian Tribes."

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Brony Car posted:

I get the reason why people might not like the term "Native American," but using "Indian" reminds me of all the horrible "dots-not-feathers!" jokes I've heard.

I mean, I know families that refer to themselves as "skins" (short for redskins). So, y'know, it's complicated. Basically, white people should not be policing the language minorities use to identify themselves.

I'm gay and I have gay friends who refer to themselves and other gay men as "faggots." I don't personally like the term because I had it thrown at me as a slur in middle and high school. But I get how it's been reclaimed and how it can be empowering for some, so whatever.

Mat Cauthon posted:

For what it's worth I just say Lakota around here but literally the only people I have experienced getting upset about "Indian" are non tribal members, mostly online. Sure it's imprecise and maybe confusing, especially if there's a signifcant South Asian population around. But it's in common use and isn't a slur or offensive, it's also used in official capacities and the names of organizations.

edit: also a lot of people don't like the term "tribe" either.

Because they're sovereign nations. "Tribe" implies a lesser legal status. "Nation" or "tribal nation" is better because it recognizes their sovereignty and distinct identity.

In common everyday usage no one really cares, though. Everyone knows what you mean when you're referring to "the tribe."

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 10, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Imagine the bill which passed through a Republican senate is more progressive than Joe Biden, drat

Biden's IBR and PSLF plan is actually much better. If you don't get your debt forgiven because you went to a public school or HBCU, then this will be the easiest way to get forgiveness for private school loans.

quote:

More than halve payments on undergraduate federal student loans by simplifying and increasing the generosity of today’s income-based repayment program. Under the Biden plan, individuals making $25,000 or less per year will not owe any payments on their undergraduate federal student loans and also won’t accrue any interest on those loans. Everyone else will pay 5% of their discretionary income (income minus taxes and essential spending like housing and food) over $25,000 toward their loans. After 5 years, 50% of the total remaining balance will be forgiven. After 10 years, the remainder will be forgiven. Any borrower who currently has a loan that has reached or exceeded a duration of 20 years will automatically have 100% of the balance forgiven regardless of income or source of the degree.

Biden will create a new, simple program which offers $10,000 of undergraduate or graduate student debt relief for every year of national or community service. Any borrower employed by an organization recognized as a public service employer will automatically be enrolled based on their employer's employer ID number on their tax return. Individuals working in schools, government, and other non-profit settings will be automatically enrolled in this forgiveness program; up to five years of prior national or community service will also qualify. Anyone who is not automatically enrolled will have the option to submit a single-page application to qualify.

Individuals with new and existing loans will all be automatically enrolled in the income-based repayment program, with the opportunity to opt out if they wish.

The biggest beneficiaries are going to be people with new or relatively young loans. 5% of discretionary income above the first $25k you make is going to make it impossible for someone with low income, but high debt to drown in payments that are equal to their rent.

This will also fix the issue where some people get completely hosed by FAFSA if their parents don't cooperate or if their parents claimed them as dependents, but aren't supporting them financially.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 10, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katie Porter is one of the most brilliant political operators I've seen in a long rear end time and a good loving person to boot. If Joe Biden has even a molecule of sense left bouncing around his moldy goo brain he'd pick her to be his VP and then get the gently caress out of the way and let her do all the talking but lol

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/Sludge/status/1248362054894878720

would someone please tell me WHY THE gently caress does trump have a donor who's loving name is

JOEY PIZZA

what the gently caress is going on??????????????????

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Willo567 posted:

God, we are so loving hosed if the Postal Service collapses.

I've been married a very long time, I do not want to get hosed.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/Sludge/status/1248362054894878720

would someone please tell me WHY THE gently caress does trump have a donor who's loving name is

JOEY PIZZA

what the gently caress is going on??????????????????

yo wait till you hear about tina pepperoni and franky fazool

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

The Sean posted:

yo wait till you hear about tina pepperoni and franky fazool

Franky's still around? I'd heard Randy Calzone and the Bistro Boys ordered him for delivery.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What school was it and how much was the scholarship?

You're at more than 110% of the average JD debt - and with a scholarship! The tuition must have been close to 2.5x the average (already high) law school tuition if the scholarship was a decent size.

That is egregious.

Yeah jfc that's more than Harvard Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Franky's still around? I'd heard Randy Calzone and the Bistro Boys ordered him for take-out.

ftfy