Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zipperelli. posted:

drat, came here to post this.

Seriously, what kind of brainworms leads to someone thinking carpet in a bathroom is a good idea?

feet cold after shower/bath
carpet = warm
put carpet in bathroom = warm feet

that is the entirety of their thought process

(also maybe fear of slippery tile but bathmats existed back in the 70s so idk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

feet cold after shower/bath
carpet = warm
put carpet in bathroom = warm feet

that is the entirety of their thought process

(also maybe fear of slippery tile but bathmats existed back in the 70s so idk)

But, like, bathroom rugs exist. That you can wash. To get the mold out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tinytort posted:

Not just in the bathroom, either - they put carpet on the bathtub rim, which is an extra level of wtf brainworms. I mean, it's one thing to manage to overlook the fact that the bathroom floor will routinely get wet, or to assume that it will dry out fast enough that mold will never be an issue. (It will not dry out fast enough.)

It's another to put carpet right next to the water.

Just. Why?!

Now i'm imagining bathroom tiles built into the carpet like pavers in grass.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tinytort posted:

Not just in the bathroom, either - they put carpet on the bathtub rim, which is an extra level of wtf brainworms.

The 70's were a weird time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Heated floors are COMMUNISM

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

drgitlin posted:

That’s the second Italian motorway bridge to collapse in two years.

This one seems to have had almost zero load too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Now i'm imagining bathroom tiles built into the carpet like pavers in grass.

woah

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
A friend of the family used to live in a house where the sun room had been kind of sort of converted into a bedroom. A bedroom with a sliding glass door leading into the kitchen, and a window that opened into another bedroom. It was.. odd, to say the least. There were a lot of curtains involved.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Heated floors are COMMUNISM

A spectre is haunting DIY--the spectre of piss towels.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

stevewm posted:

Speaking of I need to do exactly that in my house... I have a single central air return; if you close the door to any room in the house with the AC running, that room will get noticeably warmer after a while since the air can't flow back to the return. They didn't put vents above the doors either. If the furnace/AC kicks on, it will sometimes suck the doors closed from the air pressure difference.

House buddies.
(Mine also has a vent in the bathroom so you're pumping expensive conditioned air into the roofspace...)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Warmachine posted:

A spectre is haunting DIY--the spectre of piss towels.

The Yellow Menace.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
here in seattle a major bridge is closed during CV19 shutdowns because the cracks propagated extremely fast over the past 2-3 months:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/west-seattle-bridge-was-on-a-road-to-collapse-engineers-reports-show/

this bridge sucks a lotta fuckin rear end because it has to allow for ship traffic below without being a drawbridge so it peaks up really high and drops down which makes traffic even worse than you'd expect

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

here in seattle a major bridge is closed during CV19 shutdowns because the cracks propagated extremely fast over the past 2-3 months:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/west-seattle-bridge-was-on-a-road-to-collapse-engineers-reports-show/

this bridge sucks a lotta fuckin rear end because it has to allow for ship traffic below without being a drawbridge so it peaks up really high and drops down which makes traffic even worse than you'd expect

If society is going to collapse it was only a matter of time before the bridges followed suit. Everything just moves so fast now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

The Yellow Menace.

:eyepop:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I meant that to be a riff on "red menace" and then realised that "yellow peril" is already a thing. Goddamnit, racists.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Burnout posted:

The Yellow Menace.

MODS??!??!!

wait

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jaded Burnout posted:

I meant that to be a riff on "red menace" and then realised that "yellow peril" is already a thing. Goddamnit, racists.

urine trouble now

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GotLag posted:

urine trouble now

folks are gonna be pissed

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jaded Burnout posted:

folks are gonna be pissed

Urea gonna be in deep poo poo.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I’d pee worried if I were you.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You might want to take this time to relieve yourself of posting

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Feel like I'm in the trucking thread with all this piss talk

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Feel like I'm in the trucking thread with all this piss talk

It's not good to keep it all bottled up.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You walk into your vacation rental and find this still up and running...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
What is that? Some kind of servant summoning gizmo?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It appears to be knob and tube wiring and some kind of ameter so you can judge how much closer you are to burning down the home.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It's how you switch on the Monster Vitalizer when there's lightning about, obviously.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Bricktending -

Watched some other crew build a 3 story full brick chimney with absolutely no wall ties.

Being told when I'm 4 stories up on wobbly scaffolding to carry bricks with the brick tong on the side where you would fall so when the bricks popped out of the tongs, like they always did, the weight releasing would naturally have you fall toward the wall instead of the ground.

I worked for two brothers. One day we got to tear down a wall because one of them measured the joints as B and the other measured them as D. So one corner post was marked with B and other with D. You wouldn't find out until you reach the top of the wall. There was the added bonus that we were using colored mortar too.

A fellow brick tender got pissed off at a cat that was wandering around the job site and he threw his hammer at it, it bounced up and hit one of the brothers' brand new truck. The ensuing curse out was legendary, and my co-worker said 'gently caress you guys!" and turned around to walk off. Trouble was, I drove him to the job site that day and he was easily 30 minutes from home by car. He stopped, looked at my car, turned and looked at us, one of my bosses yells out "Now what?" while laughing. The guy turned and loving walked home.

Did a full brick job for an engineer at Boeing. Super anal retentive guy, he would sweep the floor boards of the entire house every night. He made the guys who put his insulation in come back and redo it all because it wasn't pink. He then made them come back again and go over everywhere that insulation was sticking out of the side and stuff it in. He wanted absolutely no insulation showing. When we do porches, we fill them in with all the broken brick and detritus from the ground to help the owner save some money filling it in with sand. We fill in his porch as we always do one day, and when we come back the next, he had completely cleared it out by hand and even dug another inch down just to make sure. I remember once walking by that porch and throwing a cigarette butt in. He immediately jumps in and picks it up and throws it in his trash bucket. The guy was a real pain in the rear end.
The day comes that we have to acidize his house. Because of the type of brick he chose we had to make the mix a little stronger than usual (muriatic acid with water). We get to the side of his house where his driveway is near and we tell him that he needs to move his truck because if this mix gets on it he'll be able to hear it rust overnight. It was nice and windy that day blowing toward his truck. He ignores this advice and his truck got a real nice acid wash.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Bricktending -

Watched some other crew build a 3 story full brick chimney with absolutely no wall ties.

Being told when I'm 4 stories up on wobbly scaffolding to carry bricks with the brick tong on the side where you would fall so when the bricks popped out of the tongs, like they always did, the weight releasing would naturally have you fall toward the wall instead of the ground.

I worked for two brothers. One day we got to tear down a wall because one of them measured the joints as B and the other measured them as D. So one corner post was marked with B and other with D. You wouldn't find out until you reach the top of the wall. There was the added bonus that we were using colored mortar too.

A fellow brick tender got pissed off at a cat that was wandering around the job site and he threw his hammer at it, it bounced up and hit one of the brothers' brand new truck. The ensuing curse out was legendary, and my co-worker said 'gently caress you guys!" and turned around to walk off. Trouble was, I drove him to the job site that day and he was easily 30 minutes from home by car. He stopped, looked at my car, turned and looked at us, one of my bosses yells out "Now what?" while laughing. The guy turned and loving walked home.

Did a full brick job for an engineer at Boeing. Super anal retentive guy, he would sweep the floor boards of the entire house every night. He made the guys who put his insulation in come back and redo it all because it wasn't pink. He then made them come back again and go over everywhere that insulation was sticking out of the side and stuff it in. He wanted absolutely no insulation showing. When we do porches, we fill them in with all the broken brick and detritus from the ground to help the owner save some money filling it in with sand. We fill in his porch as we always do one day, and when we come back the next, he had completely cleared it out by hand and even dug another inch down just to make sure. I remember once walking by that porch and throwing a cigarette butt in. He immediately jumps in and picks it up and throws it in his trash bucket. The guy was a real pain in the rear end.
The day comes that we have to acidize his house. Because of the type of brick he chose we had to make the mix a little stronger than usual (muriatic acid with water). We get to the side of his house where his driveway is near and we tell him that he needs to move his truck because if this mix gets on it he'll be able to hear it rust overnight. It was nice and windy that day blowing toward his truck. He ignores this advice and his truck got a real nice acid wash.

You sound like the kind of lazy rear end in a top hat whose work lasts for 5 years tops. No wonder he stopped listening to you. Put your trash in the dumpster, not someones house.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leviathan Song posted:

You sound like the kind of lazy rear end in a top hat whose work lasts for 5 years tops. No wonder he stopped listening to you. Put your trash in the dumpster, not someones house.

You sound like a dick. Masons are the best.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Leviathan Song posted:

That's a pretty extreme assumption to come up with from me throwing a cigarette butt into an empty porch. I could have thrown out on the ground, or in his house, but if you're the kind of fancy lad that's going to walk all the way around the house to throw something like that in the dumpster, see how long you stay employed in construction.

Also, our work was considered some of the best around. We didn't cut corners or do lazy poo poo like cutting the face off of one brick and slapping it on the side of another for the corners when we capped a window well.

I'm curious, what's the most labor intensive job YOU'VE had?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

PureEvil6_13 posted:

That's a pretty extreme assumption to come up with from me throwing a cigarette butt into an empty porch. I could have thrown out on the ground, or in his house, but if you're the kind of fancy lad that's going to walk all the way around the house to throw something like that in the dumpster, see how long you stay employed in construction.

Also, our work was considered some of the best around. We didn't cut corners or do lazy poo poo like cutting the face off of one brick and slapping it on the side of another for the corners when we capped a window well.

Concrete mixing by hand before pouring and finishing mitered ends and sidewalks in 95°F+ Florida summers.

Wheelbarrow, quik-rete and a shovel. That's all we got (I was incarcerated on a work crew). It was back-breaking.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Discovered while shopping houses

Think I'll pass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BeatmstrJ house is on the market, I take it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I’m not sure what the job has to do with it being OK to litter on someone else’s property.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Renaissance Robot posted:

Discovered while shopping houses

Think I'll pass.

Slav squat on the window sill, rotate your rear end a few degrees to the right and you can't miss.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wooger posted:

I’m not sure what the job has to do with it being OK to litter on someone else’s property.
It's one of those situations where, if I was the property owner I wouldn't really care about a worker's cigarette butt, but it's also hard to argue that it's not unprofessional. It's a rudeness that smokers have successfully normalized.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Another aspect I've found is that workers (and this is all workers, it's just more striking you're in someone's home rather than an office) lose almost all sense of who actually owns the property. It becomes a work site, and *their* work site, and the owner is honestly just an annoyance. Whereas the owner (especially inexperienced ones like I was) are trying desperately to hold back the chaos they've brought into their life and shore up some kind of feeling of ownership and sovereignty.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
We used to have ashtrays to put our butts in but y'all took them away, so this is what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

We used to have ashtrays to put our butts in but y'all took them away, so this is what you get.

All propriety aside, something a building site is rarely short of is buckets and sand.