Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Floodixor posted:

It reminded me I like RTS games and xcom 2

Is this a typo or something, or did you actually think XCOM 2 was an RTS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

Use grenades to destroy enemy cover and use them often. Rangers (your soldiers get different abilities as they level up) have a melee attack but it is very dangerous to use it because you'll probably draw in more enemies.

You're gonna find new enemies and they will have unpleasant surprises in store, don't be afraid to learn and reload a mission, on the other hand you can take losses and keep going some people prefer playing that way!

I think the typical synergistic combo is like use your grenadier to blow stuff up, your reaper to go ahead of where the rangar/templar could end up, and then once you determine it's safe, you can go melee the thing once you know it won't trigger anything new

or like if you're playing vanilla, one ranger with phantom and one with melee, or like throw a battle scanner or scanning protocol where you want to melee, there's definitely enough ways to scout that it's not incredibly risky sometimes

also just like whenever you know for sure it's the last pod, either from counting or position on the map or whatever

in general blademaster is very good and there's ways to make it safe

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Floodixor posted:

Hello doggs

On a lark a few days ago I bought the Homeworld 1 ND 2 remasters because I remembered liking it years ago despite it being punishingly hard and it still is

It reminded me I like RTS games and xcom 2 seems to have the most accolades so I got it plus DLC (I never played xcom 1 or any of the others)

however from what I understand it's a tough game so I wanted to know how I should start out

For now I'm doing Xcom 2 with no mods, I was told to play through it vanilla before even attempting the long war and war of the chosen mods

Please tell me what ya'll think and any advice I should take, thank you!

Flashbangs are good they basically take units out of the fight for their next turn plus it will break psionic stuff such as mind control/zombies when used on sectoids and other stuff.

Grenadiers(heavies? I forget what they are called in the base game) are kings, your grenadier should always be carrying at least 1 flashbang.

Snipers are good but not immediately (better than EU to start though) putting them on high ground above enemies really helps so they don't have poo poo % to hit.

The sword is a trap just shotgun aliens in the face.

As the other guy said, destroy cover then shoot the dudes with better accuracy because they aren't cowering behind something.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sectoids are vulnerable to melee early on, if you don’t have a flashbang handy to break their mind control that’ll work in a pinch. Killing them after they’ve raised a psi zombie will kill the zombie, so focus on the grey bastard rather than his iridescent friend (if you can).

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Having finished Vanilla I'm ready to go get War of the Chosen and do another playthrough with the DLC. I have an option to get a bundle for 15 bucks extra on top of the 40 buck expansion, is it worth it? It seems like its mostly cosmetics and a couple other side mission stuff.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, get em.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Anarchy's Children and Resistance Warrior Pack are cosmetic day-one DLCs that should be mocked ruthlessly, as the workshop has since put out better stuff for free.

Alien Rulers and Shen's Last Gift are the small modular campaign DLC, I'd recommend them. Some people don't like the Rulers since they are huge dicks1, which is fair enough.

Reinforcement Pack is the two above DLC, plus the cosmetic joke Anarchy. There's probably a better way to bundle things.

WotC is obviously the huge fuckoff expansion that almost doubles the ingame material.

Tactical Legacy Pack is a bunch of standalone missions aimed at experienced players with micro-campaigns in them. Brilliant stuff, but unless it comes in a bundle buy it after your first win as the missions might be hard.

1the rulers, not the players

As always, the suggestion (for others reading this) is to run a vanilla campaign with no DLC whatsoever before turning everything on, as it's a loooot of new stuff that's thrown at the player early on.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 7, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Serephina posted:

Tactical Legacy Pack is a bunch of standalone missions aimed at experienced players with micro-campaigns in them. Brilliant stuff, but unless it comes in a bundle buy it after your first win as the missions might be hard.

Nah, I'd say do them first. That way if you wind up only playing the main game once you still get the nick nacks from beating top content.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The Tactical Legacy Pack's guns for beating the first mini-campaign are actually really good, because they come with free attachments. The stock on the Grenadier's minigun alone is worth it since guaranteed damage is so good early game and knocks out aliens on overwatch.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tactical Legacy Pack also comes with sickass new music

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm just hesitant to ask a player who's never seen WotC content to take the all-meele team and somehow not fall flat on their face.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Excuse me but this game is rad as hell

I'm two missions in and have customized my team to be some of my friends, of course. Looking at the map, I remember thinking "well, it'd be nice if I could view it from... OH! SICK"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don’t normally even use the Templars, but I just took one on a mission with nothing but robotic enemies and Lost...and she strode through the carnage like a loving champion. Multiple heavy MECs fell before her, a sectopod exploded next to her (which she brushed off), there was a pile of Lost right by her that she could’ve hid behind as heavy cover, the MECs kept trying to blow her up (explosion immunity laughed every time)...woman nabbed 14 kills total in her first mission :stare:

She’s a freshly recruited colonel, but Jesus Christ she’s a loving tank.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Templars are insanely good as soon as they get one upgrade, Parry is one of the best skills in the game and enemies will almost always target them if they have parry up

It's basically a CC ability,. even enemies that have a better option will almost always shoot the templar instead if they have parry up in their line of sight, it's basically a one shot mimic beacon

Especially if you can get a templar with like bladestorm and sustain they are just really really good imo, and then later on you get two of them once you get ghost

I mean reaper is really nice to get but I think they are still very good even if you don't roll one that has it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you can just download a mod to unlock the items from the tactical legacy pack without playing it, thus getting the benefit without having to play it first

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I'm four missions in. My poor squad. :(

I guess my main question is I have the DLC, too. Should I be playing vanilla XCOM2 or War of the Chosen?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

War of the Chosen

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think this will be a unique suggestion but get to where you're fielding magnetic weapons and predator armor then load up WOTC and start back over from the beginning. You'll have your footing for how to reach the midgame that way which means the additional hurdle of handling the Chosen will be a challenge, but not completely out of left field since you will have already familiarized yourself with the other early threats and challenges that you'll be facing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Shen's last gift is great, Sparks are great, you just have to download Mechatronic warfare, and I would definitely recommend having both of them on your very first run.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I went looking through my Steam items, and realized that I've somehow got an extra copy of XCOM: Apocalypse I could gift someone. Would anyone be interested in it?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Did not truly realize how much harder the game is when the Chosen stronghold missions are plot-gated.

I've definitely experienced the issue of too many bandit factions basically benching one another (esp. with MOCX also active) but I think that could be remedied if some incidence of Lost missions were replaced with bandit missions. Were it that I knew how to mod and could do it myself.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The fact that all Blacksite Facilities are currently guarded by a 'powerful alien', and what I have learned of Alien Rulers makes me absolutely dread doing them. I am at the stage of Mag+Mimic Beacons+Plasma Grenades but that is not a fun mission to rely on.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

Did not truly realize how much harder the game is when the Chosen stronghold missions are plot-gated.

I've definitely experienced the issue of too many bandit factions basically benching one another (esp. with MOCX also active) but I think that could be remedied if some incidence of Lost missions were replaced with bandit missions. Were it that I knew how to mod and could do it myself.

You could install the "Wotc Without the Lost" mod and all of the bandit mods.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Alternatively: Install the Raider Faction Bases mods, and go after some of the factions to wipe them out, and let the others start showing up. (Also, the More Sitreps mod that lets sitreps appear on more mission types)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I gotta say, I just finished Vanilla on Veteran and started a new playthrough with WotC also on Veteran and it is *much* easier. Maybe its because I've acclimated to playing again, but I don't think it is. I think the Reaper you start off with gives you a significant boost in the early game, allows for much more effective scouting, and gives you much better survivability.

Or I could be getting super luck with RNG. Who knows!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bogart posted:

You could install the "Wotc Without the Lost" mod and all of the bandit mods.

Otoh, “Rend the Lost” and a Templar makes for great stress relief

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mike N Eich posted:

I gotta say, I just finished Vanilla on Veteran and started a new playthrough with WotC also on Veteran and it is *much* easier. Maybe its because I've acclimated to playing again, but I don't think it is. I think the Reaper you start off with gives you a significant boost in the early game, allows for much more effective scouting, and gives you much better survivability.

Or I could be getting super luck with RNG. Who knows!

Crank it up to Commander then, it dials down a lot of the hidden aids. You've already won, so might as well have some fun, xcom-style! (this means dying)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Otoh, “Rend the Lost” and a Templar makes for great stress relief

Can confirm this. Rend the lost and a templar or ranger is great fun. It's not even remotely balanced, especially because there's some kind of bug in it (or was last time I used it) that gave you not only an extra turn with each kill, but also stacked up an extra turn worth of movement. So if you chopped up 20 lost, you could then send your soldier running several circles around the entire battlefield just for the hell of it. More practically, it meant that if you could reach just one lost, you would probably have enough movement to start a snowball that meant you could clear the map.

I usually tried to rein myself in by only clearing the lost that were in LoS when I started my rampage, and not just clearing everything everywhere, to keep it sort of balanced towards what you could normally do with headshots.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That’s fair but lost usually end up making my decently good computer chug like crazy.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Can confirm this. Rend the lost and a templar or ranger is great fun. It's not even remotely balanced, especially because there's some kind of bug in it (or was last time I used it) that gave you not only an extra turn with each kill, but also stacked up an extra turn worth of movement. So if you chopped up 20 lost, you could then send your soldier running several circles around the entire battlefield just for the hell of it. More practically, it meant that if you could reach just one lost, you would probably have enough movement to start a snowball that meant you could clear the map.

I usually tried to rein myself in by only clearing the lost that were in LoS when I started my rampage, and not just clearing everything everywhere, to keep it sort of balanced towards what you could normally do with headshots.

The templar get momentum which is basically a free move action, but they get their action refunded on headshot.

I don't know if rangers get the same thing, but something in my mods means blademaster gets the same momentum move so it's a wash really.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The fun thing is, if your Templar has Parry, you can stab a dude, pop Parry, then go stab another Lost. Repeat until everything is dead. Though you do have to pop the Parry before doing *anything* else, or you lose the chance. But you can get a bunch of stacks of parry that way, and it *will* result in blocking however many attacks as you have parry stacks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Trying to do my first Ironman run in WotC. Having a rather unpleasant experience with the strategic map though - I just realized why I couldn’t get from NA to Mexico, where the first avatar site is - there’s no connection from NA to SA. There’s also no connection to Europe. I can only go to Russia, which means to get to the Mexico avatar site I basically need to go all the way around the world. I’m already behind, with a second site in India (that I can at least get to with only three connections) and only 5 pips of progress until I lose, and I don’t know how I’ll be able to get enough intel to actually circumnavigate in a remotely workable timeframe. I guess I need to start hacking and hope for an avatar lead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You don't have any covert ops that can knock some pips off?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

You don't have any covert ops that can knock some pips off?

Doing one now, but I’m not sure how much time that will buy. I also don’t have access to the sabotage order yet unfortunately. This strategic map is bonkers though, I never even realized it was variable.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Wait wait wait. Mexico is part of North America. You're telling me there's no connection between the other two regions in North America and the third?

Or do you mean Brazil?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I really hate missions where you have to kill all enemies and there is for some reason a pod hiding behind a house in a corner of the map. It wouldn't be a big deal but I start getting bored hunting for them and maybe start dashing around with random soldiers and then run into them at the most inopportune time. Yes, yes, never dash into the Fog of War but when you've spent the last 7 rounds hunting for these aliens you can get careless.

A random pod just sitting in the corner of the map seems to happen in XCom 2 than in XCom:EU for some reason. For whatever reason they stop giving you the sound indicators for where they might be as well.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait wait wait. Mexico is part of North America. You're telling me there's no connection between the other two regions in North America and the third?

Or do you mean Brazil?

I’ve had a map where the four regions of Asia were in two unconnected halves, so I had to expand my network to enter it from two different areas.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mike N Eich posted:

A random pod just sitting in the corner of the map seems to happen in XCom 2 than in XCom:EU for some reason. For whatever reason they stop giving you the sound indicators for where they might be as well.

I had to hunt down one last lousy chryssalid on the Gateway map. I played it carefully, though, and didn't have trouble. Also, apparently sound indicators only happen when you're within a certain distance of the pod now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Or do you mean Brazil?

The connections are always randomized, so it can be very possible for this sort of thing to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Real fast, what are the facility differences between WOTC and vanilla xcom2?

I'm coming back after a while, deciding if I want to unfuck my mod situation the lazy way, or also getting the x-pack and figuring out all the other stuff I had's new version.

Edit:
is it basically
+resistance ring, infirmary, and training center
- awc?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 10, 2020