Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Roadie posted:

A phone being 1.3mm thicker would be literally impossible to notice for most people and it would result in a tiny bit more battery life, so, yes, objectively better.
with how my typical day goes, i have zero interest in that. i don't regularly need something that lasts more than a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeast posted:

Expect 2021 for the next iPad revisions.

on ATP they were discussing exactly this. The big bad chip revision is coming, but they didn't want to wait until next year because that would've meant no iPad Pro update between 2018 and 2021, so they did this minor bump. But nothing has materially changed.

2021 we see the 'real' update with new processors, micro-LED, etc etc.

It may have been holiday 2020 originally, but everything is being re-tooled and moved to ensure they don't miss the iPhone 12 launch date because of you know what, and everything else has been delayed and moved to ensure that train runs on time.

They better not delay the 12. I got the Max this time and want to get off this huge phone train ASAP.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mediaphage posted:

Mini-led. It’s a nitpick but also substantially different. We aren’t going to see micro-led displays on the iPad for a bit imo. It also wouldn’t surprise me to see them pull an ipad3/4 dealio, even with the plague.

yes! That. Micro is going in the watch, mini in the iPad, 16" MacBook Pro and presumably the iMac Pro first.

jabro posted:

They better not delay the 12. I got the Max this time and want to get off this huge phone train ASAP.

That's why a lot of products are being released out of sequence, or with insanely weird lead times. Everything is about protecting the iPhone.

Hence the speedbump iPad with its key accessory not being available for 3 months.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I hear you, but I don't think the keyboard being delayed is a big deal. It's not the first time, and I don't think Apple cares that much since they won't be making any revisions to it for the next few iPads.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Coming from a 10.5” pro with _problems_ I am very, very happy with a 2020 11” Pro. Somehow I am on weird wrong update years, but whatever, get a device when you need a device.

Now I just need faceid on my Mac and I will be free of fingerprint sensors.

The new magic keyboard is also something I hope is good...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My wife is currently on the '1 week challenge'

She's convinced she can get by with just an iPad, so I gave her my 11" 2018, reformatted, brand new for her to gently caress around with. I've just lost my job because of Corona, and she's convinced she'll buy a 12.9" and will be fine.

I just suggested we take away her MacBook to make sure she can make do, and you could see the colour drain from her face.

Yeah, when the rubber hits the road its not so easy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

My wife is currently on the '1 week challenge'

She's convinced she can get by with just an iPad, so I gave her my 11" 2018, reformatted, brand new for her to gently caress around with. I've just lost my job because of Corona, and she's convinced she'll buy a 12.9" and will be fine.

I just suggested we take away her MacBook to make sure she can make do, and you could see the colour drain from her face.

Yeah, when the rubber hits the road its not so easy.

To do what with? Like a new 12.9 and the keyboard could probably do nearly everything anyone could need.

Problem is it costs as much as a MBP lol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I’m able to do everything on an iPad Pro for my job. Some days I just don’t feel like sitting at my desk and rather than undock the MacBook, I just grab the iPad and go sit on the deck or on my sofa. I’ve been doing this for years, ever since I started working from home.

Office 365 apps
PDF Expert
Omnigraffle for diagrams and working with Visio stuff
Things for my task lists that syncs across my devices.
Prompt 2 for SSH
Jump Desktop client for RDP/VNC
Even all the internal web apps/portals work in Safari just fine

The only thing we really need VPN access for is HR stuff in SAP, and I can just go into my home office for that. I mean there’s a client for iOS and it’s easy enough to export my personal certs, I just haven’t bothered.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 5, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MarcusSA posted:

To do what with? Like a new 12.9 and the keyboard could probably do nearly everything anyone could need.

Problem is it costs as much as a MBP lol.

That's the main problem, yes.

She has a 13" 2019 MacBook Pro, but some friends who recently lost their accomodation due to the virus are staying with us, and one of them uses an iPad Pro as his main computer. She seems really interested, and I said to her 'look the iPad is extremely powerful, but you may struggle to go all out on it as the main thing you use' so she's trialling it for a week. My wife's pretty impulsive, so this is my way of ensuring she's committed before we lay down $A1500 on a loving iPad.

That being said, she's truly talented with illustration and it makes her happy, so I'm loathe to cockblock her, even tho times are particularly tough right now.

edit: I should mention by trade I'm a commercial photographer, and my iPad is at best a luxury. I make money with my Macs, and my iPad is a glorified play thing. It's Incapable of replacing my computers, for now.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 5, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

She has a 13" 2019 MacBook Pro, but some friends who recently lost their accomodation due to the virus are staying with us, and one of them uses an iPad Pro as his main computer. She seems really interested, and I said to her 'look the iPad is extremely powerful, but you may struggle to go all out on it as the main thing you use' so she's trialling it for a week. My wife's pretty impulsive, so this is my way of ensuring she's committed before we lay down $A1500 on a loving iPad.

That being said, she's truly talented with illustration and it makes her happy, so I'm loathe to cockblock her, even tho times are particularly tough right now.

edit: I should mention by trade I'm a commercial photographer, and my iPad is at best a luxury. I make money with my Macs, and my iPad is a glorified play thing. It's Incapable of replacing my computers, for now.

Yeah I dunno... like if she had an older MBP and was going to upgrade anyway I could see it but a 2019 is more than serviceable for a long time and dropping $1500 on an iPad (don't forget the $100 pencil!) seems a little silly considering the times we are in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I dunno... like if she had an older MBP and was going to upgrade anyway I could see it but a 2019 is more than serviceable for a long time and dropping $1500 on an iPad (don't forget the $100 pencil!) seems a little silly considering the times we are in.

On the other hand, a non-pro iPad is pretty cheap and about as capable for 90% of users. It won’t work with the new fancy pants case but it will work with a Pencil (1)/trackpad/mouse just the same as the Pro.

There’s also the 2018 pro if she’s not interested in the new camera. Can be had even cheaper refurbished from Apple.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Coming from a 10.5” pro with _problems_ I am very, very happy with a 2020 11” Pro. Somehow I am on weird wrong update years, but whatever, get a device when you need a device.

Very same experience. My 10.5 never had a keyboard but I did get the folio keyboard this time and I really like it. (I doubt I'll get the $300 one in May). I have a trackpad which I've used a few times on the 11, but a mouse doesn't seem very useful to me yet. I just really like using this thing.

Few hangups I've found:
I have a mac mini server hosting a DAS. The ipad can't connect to the share when i give it the hostname shared path. Any suggestions?

The pencil 2 is extremely slippy. Is there a good skin anyone recommends? It feels nice, but if I try to readjust my grip to use the tap feature it's hopeless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's kind of funny that we still haven't gotten down to what she has to do with the thing but OP seems really heavy on the shade.

Like depending on her job it's very possible that with the right keyboard case it can do everything she needs. Maybe open your mind a little because you seem super pessimistic out the gate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

It's kind of funny that we still haven't gotten down to what she has to do with the thing but OP seems really heavy on the shade.

Like depending on her job it's very possible that with the right keyboard case it can do everything she needs. Maybe open your mind a little because you seem super pessimistic out the gate.

I mean he just lost his job and she already has a 2019 MBP so I can see where they are coming from.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes I see that mentioned but what they can actually afford didn’t seem to be the main issue presented.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 5, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

“My wife's pretty impulsive, so this is my way of ensuring she's committed before we lay down $A1500 on a loving iPad.

That being said, she's truly talented with illustration and it makes her happy, so I'm loathe to cockblock her, even tho times are particularly tough right now.”

Doesn’t sound that pessimistic to me, dude. Times are tough for them and he’s still open to the idea of getting one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Sorry about the job loss man, it’s def not the most fun of times.

For short term: you said she’s trialing with your iPad ? This kind of sucks for you, but you could trial having her use your iPad for now, you still have your Mac to get your stuff done. When you (hopefully soon) get back to work, you can treat yourself to an updated iPad.

Just an idea.

Otherwise , if you two end up buying an iPad Pro, def agreeing with the others, get a 2018, you can probably find a decent discount.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The iPad thread: “I don’t want to cockblock my wife”

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Lol dude if I had my wish it would be for an edge to edge iphone se in the current size with completely squared off edges. But that’s my personal preference and I’m not deluded into thinking that my subjective preferences are always going to equal objective improvements. Nobody would notice your trivial increase in battery, either.

Imagine defending bad design this strongly, I can't believe corp fanboys still exist in 2020.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Dave posted:

He literally said that is what they are doing for a week. Maybe open your mind and actually read what is said.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Last post I'll make about it but seemed like more swipes at his wife than actually telling us all the functionality she'd need out of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ijyt posted:

Imagine defending bad design this strongly, I can't believe corp fanboys still exist in 2020.

"I can't actually respond so here's some ad hominems"

Dude, I don't give a poo poo about what Apple does with their designs as long as it does what I need it to. That's my point, I don't pretend that I am the design god that is able to create objectively superior technology designs for all, unlike half this loving thread

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

"I can't actually respond so here's some ad hominems"

Dude, I don't give a poo poo about what Apple does with their designs as long as it does what I need it to. That's my point, I don't pretend that I am the design god that is able to create objectively superior technology designs for all, unlike half this loving thread

Yeah guys, it’s me. I’m the design god and everything loving sucks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

More battery...more battery bad. Camera bump...good!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry about the job loss man, it’s def not the most fun of times.

For short term: you said she’s trialing with your iPad ? This kind of sucks for you, but you could trial having her use your iPad for now, you still have your Mac to get your stuff done. When you (hopefully soon) get back to work, you can treat yourself to an updated iPad.

Just an idea.

This is a pretty good idea, and likely what will end up happening. We're housebound, so if it makes her life a bit more interesting for a while, too easy.

The Dave posted:

Last post I'll make about it but seemed like more swipes at his wife than actually telling us all the functionality she'd need out of it.

I didn't mean to sound like a prick, and maybe that's something I can look at. She'd like to use it for Procreate to illustrate with, which she does with paper and pen/water colour at the moment.

Cheers all for the good ideas :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sourdough posted:

More battery...more battery bad. Camera bump...good!

Jesus christ.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Leempi posted:

Does anyone know a way to download embedded videos on an iPad?

If it’s h264 it tends to use the os built in video player which doesn’t let you right click and save, or drag and save. Most other browsers that I’d trust use the same thing.

I haven’t been able to find a workable Siri shortcut either; those generally need 1 page with 1 video on it.

Other Q: does anything on iOS play webm yet?
Haven’t done it in years, but if you can get the source URL for the video (through various bookmarklets or shortcuts), it's possible through whatever third party app that downloads files. I think I did it either through GoodReader or Readdle Documents (while PDF Expert annoyingly doesn’t have that feature iirc). I sure it gets way more complicated with streaming videos that obscure the sources, not sure how to work with those on iOS.

For webm I think nPlayer can play them. I imagine a lot of video player apps can do it at this point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Jesus christ.

The iPad Thread: “adults”

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Jesus christ.

lol

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I dunno what bunk rear end MBP folks are buying but even a 12.9” plus the new MaGiCaL KeYbOaRd is still about half what I’d end up spending if I needed to buy a new 16” MBP.

Hell, it’s cheaper than a tricked out MBA - though I’d argue it’s a better value.

I mean maybe there’s more folks than I realize buying base model MBP’s, but it’s a distinctly different price point for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

I dunno what bunk rear end MBP folks are buying but even a 12.9” plus the new MaGiCaL KeYbOaRd is still about half what I’d end up spending if I needed to buy a new 16” MBP.

Hell, it’s cheaper than a tricked out MBA - though I’d argue it’s a better value.

I mean maybe there’s more folks than I realize buying base model MBP’s, but it’s a distinctly different price point for me.

Well duh it’s cheaper vs a 16” but it’s drat near the same price as a 13”.

I dunno what you are smoking.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MarcusSA posted:

Well duh it’s cheaper vs a 16” but it’s drat near the same price as a 13”.

I dunno what you are smoking.

I mean sure - you can get a 13” at a base spec of $1300. It also has 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD... that’s a waste.

That said, at this point, Apple really shouldn’t be offering a “Pro” laptop that doesn’t have 16GB as base. My point is that a lot folks are not buying base spec if you’re actually buying for a “Pro” use-case. For example, to get the spec I’d be willing to buy, it’s a minimum of $2400.

Anyway, I’ll STFU about laptops, this is the iPad thread.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The best analogy I heard, from a non creative type, is that the iPad is great as a consumption device but the MacBook/Pro is a better production device. Now, there are some cases where the pencil and touch are better, but for corporate types maybe that is the case?
I use both and they are good for what they are.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don't know if somebody else posted this problem in the last few pages but if you have issues enabling a bluetooth mouse with ipados 13.4 when having a keyboard already connected, i've found that disconnecting everything and connecting to the mouse first(and keyboard second) solved the issue. Mouse works fine afterwards, no need to turn anything on in accessibility. It's kinda puzzling how now that i've a mouse connected all the false touches, focusing at random and being unable to select a word magically solved themselves(and now works perfect like when I using a bloody ipad1)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
If Photoshop on iPad was at parity with Mac (JFC it's a joke) I'd use an iPad full-time at home at least, probably. I really only use mine to doodle and watch videos as it is tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ddogflex posted:

If Photoshop on iPad was at parity with Mac (JFC it's a joke) I'd use an iPad full-time at home at least, probably. I really only use mine to doodle and watch videos as it is tho.

Not the same for many reasons obv but the affinity apps are getting really good, esp considering the cost. I use them for everything besides raw processing these days

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Not the same for many reasons obv but the affinity apps are getting really good, esp considering the cost. I use them for everything besides raw processing these days

Same with stuff like lumafusion.

Music software has flourished on iPad but we still need something with Logic/Ableton-level DAW capability. And because of the app-bucket nature of the OS you need an app like Audiobus or Aum or whatever to basically do any real routing/mixing. It’s not like there’s a desktop environment.

It’s a lot less janky than it was in 2014 but it still needs to develop some more. I’m sure Apple is working to port FCPX and Logic to iPad at some point in the future, maybe we’ll see a further maturation of everything then.

Tbf I’m really impressed with how it’s developed in 10 years (13 years?) as a platform and class of devices. Didn’t think we’d be seeing Apple/ARM breathing down Intel’s door with their own homegrown chips at this point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any measurements on the thickness of the upcoming magic keyboard? The more I look at it the chonkier it seems.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

Are there any measurements on the thickness of the upcoming magic keyboard? The more I look at it the chonkier it seems.

In the videos they remove it one handed. Which means it has to be decently heavy, or else it'd come straight with the iPad.

It'll be interesting, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

In the videos they remove it one handed. Which means it has to be decently heavy, or else it'd come straight with the iPad.

It'll be interesting, for sure.

I really do want it but I need to see some good videos or see it in person.

I like the Smart Keyboard but I’m not a big fan of how when you aren’t using it the keys are exposed on the back.