Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

When I get a God Hand that curves out perfectly to a turn 4 kill, that is the shuffler working correctly.

When I draw 2 mountains in a row, that is the shuffler malfunctioning.

One thing that's helped me avoid conspiatorial thinking about ~the shuffler~ is running an overlay that tracks what's left in my deck and what the probability of drawing a given card is. It is also helpful for letting me know if I have any outs left to peel, or should explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
when i'm helping younger people understand probability i like to point out that if you flip a coin 10 times in a row and get heads every time, the impulse is to assume something's wrong with the coin or the way someone is flipping it but it's exactly as likely as flipping it and getting any other specific pattern of flips. the law of large numbers says at some point, given enough time, any specific random result is going to happen & it's just human nature to see patterns in the noise. you remember drawing your fifth land in a row a hell of a lot more than the dozens of games you played where that didn't happen

this is also a fun example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_nines_in_pi

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

That was my thinking. You think it's okay to splash for both Klothys AND Dragonmaster Outcast? If not stopped late game it can get out of hand.

Edit: So far I've come up with this. I splashed in red for Klothys and Dragonmaster Outcast. I just need 1 more cut. Any suggestions?

If it isn't too late, I'd cut elvish reclaimer. You don't have a lot of ways to put lands in the graveyard and a 1/2 1-drop isn't going to help you much, if at all.

Outcast is probably fine at R, unlike reclaimer it is useful late-game (the only time it is, heh).

Labyrinth is good, but you have a lot of BB cards at 3 and 4 CMC (and cavalier of night at BBB/5 CMC), I'd cut it for another swamp, even with ilysian caryatid.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

One thing that's helped me avoid conspiatorial thinking about ~the shuffler~ is running an overlay that tracks what's left in my deck and what the probability of drawing a given card is. It is also helpful for letting me know if I have any outs left to peel, or should explode.

Have a link?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The shuffler is a little rigged, but only for your starting hand (as far as I know anyway)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JakeP posted:

The shuffler is a little rigged, but only for your starting hand (as far as I know anyway)

Only in Bo1 though

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Owlbear Camus posted:

When I get a God Hand that curves out perfectly to a turn 4 kill, that is the shuffler working correctly.

When I draw 2 mountains in a row, that is the shuffler malfunctioning.

On the other hand when you know that you just have a 4% chance of drawing your last land in a limited game when anything else left in your deck would save you and then you draw that land, woof.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

Have a link?

https://mtga.untapped.gg/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Have a link?

https://www.overwolf.com/app/AetherHub_MTGA_Assistant

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

flatluigi posted:

despite people constantly posting conspiracy theories and misunderstanding probability, all actual attempts to try to track variance over a large dataset have found nothing that looks different to shuffling a physical deck
I don't know if I buy this. Did they actually compare to real life shuffling in games of magic or did they compare it to a properly shuffled deck, because they aren't the same thing a lot of the time.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
not even the arena thread is safe from shuffling discourse

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I guess me complaining about people at my FNM shuffling really poorly doesn't belong in this thread.

But it's really annoying!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odiv posted:

Yeah, I guess me complaining about people at my FNM shuffling really poorly doesn't belong in this thread.

But it's really annoying!

shuffle their decks for them

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zero VGS posted:

Have a link?

untapped.gg

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

shuffle their decks for them
Turns out people get really annoyed if you're not in a match and try to shuffle someone's deck.

(No I don't do this, but yes, I'm pretty much the only person who shuffles instead of cuts when presented with a deck.)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks, I'm trying that out.

Also, I just lost my Ashiok ultimate and all my timeouts due to a bug, I went to report it and someone else already had the same thing a week ago:

https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs/suggestions/40094677-ashiok-nightmare-muse-ult-lock

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
overwolf is pretty bad and likes to sneak in malware ads (and when I used it for hearthstone forever ago it took a loving lot of effort to fully install it)

just use untapped.gg

JakeP posted:

The starting hand stuff is different and has no relevance past the first seven cards you're presented with in best of 1. All it does is virtually draw two hands from separate shuffled decks and present you with the one it considers 'better' in terms of lands (so if you get a 0 lander and a 1 lander guess you're getting the 1 lander). people spent a bunch of effort trying to break it when it was first mentioned, but iirc they've updated this smoothing since and best practices for lands in your deck have ended up being basically the same as in paper.

Note that if you mulligan there's no smoothing, and it doesn't exist in best of 3 matches; it's just meant to make there be less non-games in bo1 in the most basic way possible.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

flatluigi posted:

overwolf is pretty bad and likes to sneak in malware ads (and when I used it for hearthstone forever ago it took a loving lot of effort to fully install it)

just use untapped.gg

I wasn't aware of the Malware stuff but I went ahead and switched and the untapped feels a lot less glitchy and tempermental so thanks.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In Brawl, if I let my commander go to the graveyard and she gets moved to exile from there; do I get a new chance to move her to the command zone?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VictualSquid posted:

In Brawl, if I let my commander go to the graveyard and she gets moved to exile from there; do I get a new chance to move her to the command zone?

that is correct, returning to the command zone is an optional replacement effect on moving to the library/hand/graveyard/exile from anywhere

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am enjoying the cube sealed but I wish you got actual rewards for winning every game not just break even

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN
Holy poo poo. Sorry everyone, I just thought both players simultaneously topdecking four in a row (actually am curious to know the probability of that since we have experts on hand) was a funny situation. I like weird scenarios like that, would have been heartbroken if either of us broke the sequence, and had no idea people would get triggered anywhere near this hard. Like goddamn.

Still, in these uncertain times, it's reassuring to come back to the forum after years of absence and find that, in terms of nuance, reading comprehension and basic human nature, absolutely nothing has changed.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Taking Temur Clover for one last ride. Hopefully the deck stays viable in Ikoria standard.

I also hope there's a tier 1.5 deck that just stacks mutation triggers onto one huge lovecraftian nightmare of a creature.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Fendahleen posted:

Holy poo poo. Sorry everyone, I just thought both players simultaneously topdecking four in a row (actually am curious to know the probability of that since we have experts on hand) was a funny situation. I like weird scenarios like that, would have been heartbroken if either of us broke the sequence, and had no idea people would get triggered anywhere near this hard. Like goddamn.

Still, in these uncertain times, it's reassuring to come back to the forum after years of absence and find that, in terms of nuance, reading comprehension and basic human nature, absolutely nothing has changed.

Please don't use the phrase 'triggered' so flippantly, you're not on Reddit any more

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ungulateman posted:

Please don't use the phrase 'triggered' so flippantly, you're not on Reddit any more

Give him a break, he's got both Yarok and Teysa on the board.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fendahleen posted:

this fuckin goof calls him mum every time he rolls a critical 20

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

I also hope there's a tier 1.5 deck that just stacks mutation triggers onto one huge lovecraftian nightmare of a creature.
It doesn't really make huge creatures by stacking them up though. Brokkos mutated onto a polukranus gonna be funny though. I just wanna Nethroi mutate out like, all of the clones, myself. Like 15 clones. That'll probably end up being a bad commander deck though, since you need the target in play iirc my timing rules.

Clover gets a great dual land and maybe Song of Creation plus maybe the ultimatum and mythos will be good? It seems really hard to lose with song if you plan things out a little, so many cards.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If I correctly understand how Mutate works, you should be able to turn a legendary creature into a non-legendary that still has the legendary's textbox, so you could effectively duplicate legendaries with abilities that stack or multiply in fun ways. You could already do this with Spark Double, but now any color could do this.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
poo poo, casting Casualties of War and hitting five targets is soooooo loving good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

this fuckin goof calls him mum every time he rolls a critical 20

One time with Mirror March in Arena, I won something like 16 coinflips in a row. Whatever it was I remember it coming out to 1:32000 odds. The thing is, I've to this day gotten off maybe a dozen total mirror marches and more than half have been extremely unlikely flips like 6-8 heads in a row. I think the psuedorandom generator might have been a little wonky. This is the same company that made every booster pack give a Mythic WC for 3 hours straight, after all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
you burned all your bad RNs in matches where you never got to resolve mirror march

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ungulateman posted:

you burned all your bad RNs in matches where you never got to resolve mirror march

Oh hey I found it, Teferi gets pounded by 16 Colossi:

The coins went way off the loving screen when it happened

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
MTGA has opened that all cards brawl, and I have no idea what is even in historic. Does anybody have any cool archetypes to suggest? Or any OP historc cards that fit into a standard Orzhov Sacrifice/Token deck?

Zero VGS posted:

One time with Mirror March in Arena, I won something like 16 coinflips in a row. Whatever it was I remember it coming out to 1:32000 odds. The thing is, I've to this day gotten off maybe a dozen total mirror marches and more than half have been extremely unlikely flips like 6-8 heads in a row. I think the psuedorandom generator might have been a little wonky. This is the same company that made every booster pack give a Mythic WC for 3 hours straight, after all.
People consistently underestimate how likely streaks are. 16 Heads are as likely as any other combination of flips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP-Ipsat90c

Here is what you actually want from Arena. A less random system that feels more random to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qnnxFoBss

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IMJack posted:

If I correctly understand how Mutate works, you should be able to turn a legendary creature into a non-legendary that still has the legendary's textbox, so you could effectively duplicate legendaries with abilities that stack or multiply in fun ways. You could already do this with Spark Double, but now any color could do this.

That's a nuance I hadn't considered but now that I have I like it.

Yeah, it doesn't make huge creatures unless one has lots of +1/+1 counters, it makes creatures with huge textboxes.

But I suspect a 0/0s with counters, proliferate, and mutates deck might prove super strong. Like, Stonecoil Serpent, Ugin's Conjurant, Hydras, etc. If not powerful, then at least fun.

E: boy I need to stop even bothering to try to ladder until the new set is out. About half the people I run into in the Bo1 queue are running main deck Aether Gust.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 10, 2020

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

About half the people I run into in the Bo1 queue are running main deck Aether Gust.
Good news: Aether gust is amazing vs mutate, extra amazing vs the mutate mythics and three-four color good stuff centered on green is likely to only grow stronger. So expect more AEther gusts, not less.

Also conjurant is pretty far down the list of useful cards. Why bother with Conjurant when you can mutate a Brokkos onto an escaped Polukranus and one hit your opponent if they've so much as taken a shock?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Good news: Aether gust is amazing vs mutate, extra amazing vs the mutate mythics and three-four color good stuff centered on green is likely to only grow stronger. So expect more AEther gusts, not less.

Also conjurant is pretty far down the list of useful cards. Why bother with Conjurant when you can mutate a Brokkos onto an escaped Polukranus and one hit your opponent if they've so much as taken a shock?

Damage prevention. Basically. Also being able to cast it cheaply on early turns. Stonecoil would be a higher priority though.

E: and as for the latter point, at the point where you have successfully escaped Polukranos, you probably don't need to mutate Brokkos onto it to win.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thespaceinvader posted:

Damage prevention. Basically. Also being able to cast it cheaply on early turns. Stonecoil would be a higher priority though.

E: and as for the latter point, at the point where you have successfully escaped Polukranos, you probably don't need to mutate Brokkos onto it to win.

You can play Polukranos on 4 and get 6 counters, which is a better rate than what you get out of Conjurant.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Sure, more likely you put it on a Krasis or something. The point is if you wanna go big with mutate, there's game ending threats baked right into Sultai decks, you don't really need to do much.

Also Conjurant has a drawback. Re-read it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

flatluigi posted:

despite people constantly posting conspiracy theories and misunderstanding probability, all actual attempts to try to track variance over a large dataset have found nothing that looks different to shuffling a physical deck

People in our LGS including the owner are 100% sure that the ladder shuffler is rigged to keep you at ~50% winrate "just like in Gwent and HS" unless you are an MPL member or a transgender streamer, I poo poo you not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

People in our LGS including the owner are 100% sure that the ladder shuffler is rigged to keep you at ~50% winrate "just like in Gwent and HS" unless you are an MPL member or a transgender streamer, I poo poo you not.

I'm a cishet male and I have a 70% win rate in draft, and I'm not even good at this game. tell everyone in your LGS that they're a bunch of no good jabronis