Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, he's basically saying Disney are the responsible parties so its not that terrible. Plus it kind of sideways implied that they have more influence than the POTUS.

But now Trump is gonna do a rant about Disney or Fox News will craft a conspiracy story about how they're holding down news of the miracle cure to boost Disney+ or something newly weird.

Do you have a professional job? Saying "I didn't want to do it, but my bosses forced me to do it" is hugely unprofessional, and would be looked down on. In a public statement saying that? People are fired for a lot less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wazzu posted:

Do you have a professional job? Saying "I didn't want to do it, but my bosses forced me to do it" is hugely unprofessional, and would be looked down on. In a public statement saying that? People are fired for a lot less.

Of course I have but my job wasn't really in any way a reasonable comparison to Dana White and UFC's relationship with Disney/ESPN so it would be very silly for me to apply the standards of whether I publicly contradicted and called out my employers and what would probably happen to me to this.

I'm not defending White. He's an rear end in a top hat clearly trying to "blame" Disney for UFC events being cancelled. But if I'm Disney (who I also am not defending as they are a big evil corporation) I might be annoyed by White but besides the fact that I'm probably not gonna bounce on UFC over it its probably not the worst PR in the world to be "called out" on the right side of the argument.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 10, 2020

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah they’re not gonna complain about a guy going “I was about to do something REALLY stupid but then Disney talked me down from doing it and just going on hiatus instead”.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He’ll get told not to do that again but that’ll be it considering what he did made them look better. It won’t go ignored though. Not with egos like that on Disney’s side. Dana is humble compared to those idiots.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

boxercise flashbacks for dana.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
By the way...
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1247941667321192448

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big Dave is so loving over it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

We just dropped another Rudocast episode talking AEW, the TNT Title Tournament, and even dedicated a segment to the WrestleMania. We had to sadly retire the Such Good poo poo of the Week Award as the catchphrase is now on a Bad Three Letter Company T-shirt.

Send us some matches to review! Smoking Crow already sent me a bunch. We'll start adding one or two to the regular show and maybe put a bunch together for a live stream. A live stream where I break out the last few tall boys of Strong Zero I have left from Japan...

https://twitter.com/RudosPodcast/status/1248646292709888000

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 10, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pinche Rudo posted:

We just dropped another Rudocast episode talking AEW, the TNT Title Tournament, and even dedicated a segment to the WrestleMania. We had to sadly retire the Such Good poo poo of the Week Award as the catchphrase is now on a Bad Three Letter Company T-shirt.

Send us some matches to review! Smoking Crow already sent me a bunch. We'll start adding one or two to the regular show and maybe put a bunch together for a live stream. A live stream where I break out the last few tall boys of Strong Zero I have left from Japan...

https://twitter.com/RudosPodcast/status/1248646292709888000

i wanted to send this in but i didn't bc it starts in round 4 and i dont think it's 5 stars, just really good

posting it here so all of you can see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedjkaZbN2I

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Gettin' real fired up listening to Jim and Dave talking about accountability on last night's WOR

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
After listening to this, my take is that Vince strategically leaked the info of going live again, and wanted the conversation about being afraid of the contracts being restructured out there. Now, he's either off the hook (at least partially) for running live, because he's being forced to - or, the networks have to cut him some slack on the live elements of the deals. Kind of brilliant either way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or the networks don't give a poo poo either way because TV stations are barely getting any advertising money anyway right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

81sidewinder posted:

After listening to this, my take is that Vince strategically leaked the info of going live again, and wanted the conversation about being afraid of the contracts being restructured out there. Now, he's either off the hook (at least partially) for running live, because he's being forced to - or, the networks have to cut him some slack on the live elements of the deals. Kind of brilliant either way.

If it was a brilliant strategic move they wouldn't have scrapped previously taped Smackdown content to run live.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's a brilliant move that might get people killed, Vince rules

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has Jim Valley talked about his health and financial issues before today's show? I haven't listened to as many shows lately since I don't have a commute.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He mentioned being immunocompromised and living like a mile from that nursing home that ended up being the canary in the pandemic coal mine and that he basically hasn’t left the house at all a couple of weeks ago

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Cameo posted:

He mentioned being immunocompromised and living like a mile from that nursing home that ended up being the canary in the pandemic coal mine and that he basically hasn’t left the house at all a couple of weeks ago

I think he said all of this on the latest Pacific Rim.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There's a nursing home just a few blocks away from my house that's basically become the epicenter of the region and the place where the most deaths have occurred in my town. It's eerie as hell and I don't even have any health issues I'm aware of. I don't blame Valley for being spooked by it all.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Has Jim Valley talked about his health and financial issues before today's show? I haven't listened to as many shows lately since I don't have a commute.

I haven't heard him mention the financial piece before, but he's talked about cheating death four times (or whatever the number is).

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRafTer posted:

He first went into great detail on it on either the final WOL of last year or the first one of this year.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

hunnert car pileup posted:

He first went into great detail on it on either the final WOL of last year or the first one of this year.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-live/wol-saturday-stardom-wk14-jims-story-beating-death-four-times-300466

this is the episode

basically the whole thing bankrupted him because lol american "health care"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Listening to Dave and Jim talk about Houston wrestling this week was great. Hoping for more talk about wrestling history.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

In which they discuss the various...Lord Humonguses? Lord Humongi?
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1249132427769008134

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lords Humongous

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

jesus WEP posted:

Lords Humongous

thanks i have my future band name

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

humongous homunculus

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cavauro posted:

humongous homunculus

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Lords Humongous sounds correct correct, actually. Anyway, more content!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1249500048066568192
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1249598934751862785

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dave giving the "he's from a different time" defense of Jerry Lawler on WOR today.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Listening to Dave talk on YouTube and he just sounds so defeated about this whole situation with WWE being declared essential.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

njsykora posted:

Dave giving the "he's from a different time" defense of Jerry Lawler on WOR today.

he didn't "defend" it at all, the whole point is that Lawler is a stupid dinosaur that the WWE continues to hire despite him being an open CHUD that's shown no willingness to change. and he's correct that it probably won't gain traction because nobody holds WWE to any kind of standard whatsoever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

reignofevil posted:

Listening to Dave talk on YouTube and he just sounds so defeated about this whole situation with WWE being declared essential.

Dave has a mother in her 90s that he literally can't visit for fear it might kill her, as well as a son who I believe has crohns and thus is at a higher risk if he should get COVID-19 too. Learning that some piece of poo poo Governor has dictated that a loving wrestling company is considered essential is enough to drive anybody to despair by itself let alone without that context.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

njsykora posted:

Why does he always defend the worst people

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Why does he always defend the worst people

People sure like to cherry pick what Dave says. He didn't defend Lawler at all. He, in fact, buried Jerry and insinuated that he shouldn't even be on live TV because he could say something like that but because it's WWE, Jerry, isn't going to get the backlash. His comment about being "from a different time" is that it's hard to adapt for older people and isn't a defence or an excuse but rather a statement of fact, and a reason why Jerry shouldn't be put in a situation where he could slip up in the heat of the moment and revert to his old habits.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 14, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PaybackJack posted:

People sure like to cherry pick what Dave says. He didn't defend Lawler at all. He, in fact, buried Jerry and insinuated that he shouldn't even be on live TV because he could say something like that but because it's WWE, Jerry, isn't going to get the backlash. His comment about being "from a different time" is that it's hard to adapt for older people and isn't a defend or an excuse but rather a statement of fact and a reason why Jerry shouldn't be put in a situation where he could slip up in the heat of the moment and revert to his old habits.

I didn't listen to it so I'm not gonna speak to the broader question but I think "from a different time" as you describe it absolutely is an "excuse." There's plenty of old people who can in fact recognize that racist things are racist and change behaviors they had decades ago. Otherwise everyone over the age of 50 would be walking around calling people "colored". Lawler doesn't change because he doesn't want to, is incapable of, and he's protected by the environment he's in. And the most high profile wrestling journalist saying "he's from a different time and its hard to change but it won't matter because no one holds WWE accountable" is part of that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

I didn't listen to it

If you didn't listen to it why do you feel the need to comment on it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Explaining something and defending something are not the same thing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That's the mentality

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lone Goat posted:

If you didn't listen to it why do you feel the need to comment on it?

I didn't listen to it because I don't subscribe. I'm commenting on it because it matters. I'm deferring to people who did listen to it since they're obviously more informed than I. I'm sharing my opinions on what they say he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

New Mature Listeners, covering Cena/Bray and live riffing legendary knife culture document Surviving Edged Weapons