Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Magnus Manfist posted:

Why would the gods not be utterly lovely? Sometimes you get good weather and your trade voyages go fine, sometimes a storm hits and everyone drowns. Sometimes you get a good harvest, sometimes the crops fail and everyone starves. Sometimes you think you're waging a righteous war that pleases the gods and a plague hits out of nowhere and half your army shits themselves to death. Plus every city has their own patron god/s, and you've been at war with those guys and by extension their gods for years.

Obviously the guys in charge of all this poo poo are at best capricious psychos

Because the idea is that these fuckers can create the world. The fact that they are portrayed as, at best, idiot drunks doesn't jive with a lot of how the ancient Greeks apparently saw them. They believed that good people suffered, sure, but they believed that the gods punished those that did not uphold things properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

grittyreboot posted:

Poseidon was a villain more often than not. Which makes sense considering that many ancient Greeks, a maritime people, probably lost a few loved ones to the sea. He was known to be petty even compared to the other gods and was a perpetual loser.

Yeah, he really hosed up Laocoon and his two sons, sent giant serpents up from a sacred well in Troy to strangle them when Laocoon railed against the Trojan Horse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of like that the very first chapter in The Odyssey is the Gods bickering about Poseidon's vendetta against Odysseus. Athena spends the whole chapter just being all "Poseidon, seriously, you need to get over this, Odysseus is pretty cool overall!"

I also loved a translation note where it mentions that a greek term that Athena uses, "Apopo" is translated based on context and who is using it and variably means anything ranging from "Oh dear..." to "FOR FUCKS SAKE!"

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

She shat her pantsq

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Don Gato posted:

By ancient Athenian standards he really is a stand up guy, Zeus would have turned into a goose or something and then done unspeakable things and Hera would have turned her into a spider for a perceived insult.

Perceived insult i.e. claiming you're better at weaving than the gods themselves and proving it by weaving fanart of their family members loving their way across all creation. Arachne knows what she did.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you weave me a picture of myself loving everything I won't turn you into a spider but I will turn you 5 dollars richer.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Because the idea is that these fuckers can create the world. The fact that they are portrayed as, at best, idiot drunks doesn't jive with a lot of how the ancient Greeks apparently saw them. They believed that good people suffered, sure, but they believed that the gods punished those that did not uphold things properly.

Yeah but remember that a lot of these ancient pagan faiths are orthopraxic. Doesn't matter what you believe, doesn't matter if you have faith, as long as the right rituals and observances are kept. The relationship to divinity is contractual, much like the relationship to any other authority, and it's just life that the people/gods in charge are obtuse idiots so shut up and tithe or the furies will gently caress you up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Josef bugman posted:

Cult of the Sub genius then?

Also, I have to imagine that the Greeks reinterpreted a lot of their mythology considering how utterly lovely the majority of the Gods are in it.

Discordianism. Eris, specifically the Eris of Discordianism, is mentioned Subgenius literature though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josef bugman posted:

Nah, most of the standard Indo-European myths have the world being created by older, more powerful gods before being overthrown/wandering off.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Another thing about ancient religions was that they were regional, in that the gods ruled over specific regions. Foreign religions weren't wrong, they just worshiped the gods of their religion and/or people. Roman legions would observe the rites of foreign gods while abroad, in addition to their own. Mars may rule over legions, but Ra rules over Egypt so better sacrifice to both just to be safe.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, he really hosed up Laocoon and his two sons, sent giant serpents up from a sacred well in Troy to strangle them when Laocoon railed against the Trojan Horse.

Made for some cool sculpture, though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Another thing about ancient religions was that they were regional, in that the gods ruled over specific regions. Foreign religions weren't wrong, they just worshiped the gods of their religion and/or people. Roman legions would observe the rites of foreign gods while abroad, in addition to their own. Mars may rule over legions, but Ra rules over Egypt so better sacrifice to both just to be safe.
And they'd hedge their bets by offering sacrifices "to whom it may concern", i.e. any gods known or unknown who may have an interest in the matter, take this payoff and no offense intended.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most people are familiar with the Roman idea of Ares, aka Mars, who was a lot more prominent due to basically being the incarnation of the Roman Legions and organised warfare. Ares as the Greeks (Athenians particularly) portrayed him is basically somewhere between Kratos and Khorne.

Like, if you want a villain out of the Greek pantheon, Wonder Woman has the right idea that it's absolutely Ares, not Hades.

Mars wasn't "the Roman idea of Ares". Indo-European nations just had similar gods.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I bet his breakfast was heavenly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why is his nose a carrot though

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

it was the style back in those ancient days

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Krankenstyle posted:

Probably pissed off Demeter in some way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

I mean, he's eating Zeus' kid. He's lucky he didn't get turned into a living stone or something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Thx y'all, that all makes sense :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Randaconda posted:

Nah, most of the standard Indo-European myths have the world being created by older, more powerful gods before being overthrown/wandering off.

In particular, the Greek creation myth is that the earth goddess just showed up out of nowhere one day, then gave birth to the sky god, and they hooked up and then there were things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just wanted to say, this made me laugh more than anything in a while. A true favorite favourite comic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Mars wasn't "the Roman idea of Ares". Indo-European nations just had similar gods.

Rome literally just ripped off the Greek pantheon for their own, and was huge on importing foreign gods, including Egyptian ones. They were always pretty shameless about ripping off any aspects of foreign cultures they liked.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rome literally just ripped off the Greek pantheon for their own, and was huge on importing foreign gods, including Egyptian ones. They were always pretty shameless about ripping off any aspects of foreign cultures they liked.

Incorrect.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Not sure if you can talk about a Ares and Mars being traced back to a shared Indo-European pantheon, lots of cultures have a war god and they're pretty different. None of their names are Indo-European.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grevling posted:

Not sure if you can talk about a Ares and Mars being traced back to a shared Indo-European pantheon, lots of cultures have a war god and they're pretty different. None of their names are Indo-European.

Ares and Mars are both Indo-European names.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rome literally commissioned official fanfiction linking them to Greek myths.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rome literally just ripped off the Greek pantheon for their own

False. Most of the similarities are surface level, and most of those are the standard Indo-European pantheon load out

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rome literally commissioned official fanfiction linking them to Greek myths.

Romans liked doing that kind of stuff, and linking their gods to foreign gods, but their gods weren't copied from the greeks, they were just similar.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChubbyChecker posted:

Romans liked doing that kind of stuff, and linking their gods to foreign gods, but their gods weren't copied from the greeks, they were just similar.

:hmmyes: As they were similiar to the Norse pantheon, and the Indian pantheon, and the Celtic pantheon, among many others

the only Indo-European group I know off the top of my head that went a total different direction are the Persians.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Were they the same and just copied, there'd've been little reason to have the fanfics written up, now'd've?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Randaconda posted:

:hmmyes: As they were similiar to the Norse pantheon, and the Indian pantheon, and the Celtic pantheon, among many others

the only Indo-European group I know off the top of my head that went a total different direction are the Persians.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Were they the same and just copied, there'd've been little reason to have the fanfics written up, now'd've?

Yeah.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Is this based on some new scholarship? Because for as long as I was old enough to read about this sort of stuff I always heard "Pluto is just the name the Romans gave to Hades."

Although this might be one of those "amateur historians think Hitler was a supervillain, experienced historians know he was a buffoon" kind of situations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Slayer posted:

Is this based on some new scholarship? Because for as long as I was old enough to read about this sort of stuff I always heard "Pluto is just the name the Romans gave to Hades."

Although this might be one of those "amateur historians think Hitler was a supervillain, experienced historians know he was a buffoon" kind of situations.

It's some poo poo they thought was true in the Victorian era, I think, and it just stayed around.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Randaconda posted:

It's some poo poo they thought was true in the Victorian era, I think, and it just stayed around.

Pretty much this. Pop history just likes to repeat old myths.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Pretty much this. Pop history just likes to repeat old myths.

You mean like the Romans did? :v:

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Talking of gods

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well the Greek and Roman conceptions of their pantheons weren't exactly the same but it's not as if they'd developed in complete isolation from each other either, what with Italy having a bunch of Greek colonies for centuries, etc. [1] Neither was either pantheon a static uniform thing; different aspects of the Greek gods were venerated in different city-states, and in ways that changed over time (ask two dudes from the same city born 400 years apart to explain their religion, and you'd probably get pretty different answers). Same with the Italian/Roman pantheon. Things weren't organized and standardized on the same sort of level as we're used to seeing in major world religions these days, to put it mildly. Predominantly oral traditions, no real hierarchies above the single-temple level, etc.

Late-period Roman thinkers (when their religion was being used to help prop up the central authority of a huge fuckin' empire) sure were pretty keen on the idea that their main gods could be identified with the Greek ones, and with those of other civilized lands. And they'd bend over backwards to find correspondences, and write fanfic to support it. Then 1800 years later I guess some Victorian history buffs read those guys' stuff and got hung up on the idea that that was all there was to it.

[1] Supposedly some villages in southern Italy have preserved their own weird dialects of Greek until the 20th or even 21st century.

Groke has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Syncretism is fun, but beware oversimplification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Finnish also have their own pantheon of gods, completely separate from the Norse in West and slavic in East. And obviously, everything was "chistianized" after the 12th century.

Fun fact, the original name for the Ukko's representative, a bear, was considered sacred "True name" of the chief god and saying it out loud was very no-no and brought bad times, so several work-around names were invented. For example the current most common Finnish words for bear '(karhu, or also mesikämmen, kouvo, kontio, otso, metsän omena, metsän kuningas or nalle) are all work-arounds, and the original word for bear is believed to be lost since we really didn't write that stuff down until the Swedes showed up in the 11th century.