Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's memory cards, or the Vita's real price that did the system in, imo. It was probably always gonna be too expensive to be viable.

That and lackluster 1st party support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

It's memory cards, or the Vita's real price that did the system in, imo. It was probably always gonna be too expensive to be viable.

That and lackluster 1st party support.

Vita had weird decisions like the memory cards that were direct responses to the insane piracy of the PSP that also made it less pleasant than it could have been.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Midjack posted:

Vita had weird decisions like the memory cards that were direct responses to the insane piracy of the PSP that also made it less pleasant than it could have been.

That was definitely a concern, but I think the primary reason was sticker price. They needed a way of hiding the true system cost. Remember, 4GB was already a paltry size in 2012. On multiple occasions, I literally didn't buy stuff just because of storage issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the end its hilarious that the memory card was "DEFINITELY NOT A MICRO SD CARD TAKE THAT PIRATES" and then someone just made a micro sd adapter for the game cart.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what are you talking about

The definitive version of FFT is the mobile port of War of the Lions, since it "fixes" the slowdown found in the PSP version and has good touchscreen support.
The mobile port of SotN is arguably the definitive version, because it has everything the Dracula X Chronicles version does but is also great for new speed tech. You can also use a controller which eliminates the touchscreen control aspect.

https://twitter.com/romscoutSDA/status/1235156096538439680

I'm also mostly being facetious, but hey.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
well whatever I'm playing the PS1 version because the voice acting is flawless and the remasters are criminal

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not sure I can bring myself to play my beloved SotN through Chronicles through Adrenaline on my VitaTV anymore :negative:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My Vita does this thing where when it's plugged in, it charges until full, then stops charging, but never starts charging again unless it is unplugged and plugged back in.

For example, it's been plugged in for a few weeks unused, because I've been on an Animal Crossing kick, but when I picked it up this morning, still plugged in, it was completely dead, and started charging immediately when I plugged it back in.

I think it has something to do with the Nyko Power Grip, it must be interfering with the charge detection stuff...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do you miss the part where every last one of them ballooned full of hydrogen gas?

Rinkles posted:

apparently.

mine hasn't, anyway.

I dug up my PSP stuff in the middle of last year. Thankfully I didn't leave the batteries in the handhelds, because they all (3) expanded and would've damaged the PSPs. I cracked open the shells and removed the battery from within because I saw online that you can order replacement cells and this might yield better results than the remaining 3rd party battery packs left on the market.

The one at the top of the image above was the battery from my original PSP, from 2005, so that's what it looked like after ~14 years. It was swollen so badly the shell (which I still have if anyone's curious what it looks like) split down the sides, but along the edges instead of the seams. For comparison, the battery in my Nintendo DS (from 2004) has not swollen at all and still holds a charge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone know if there's a quick and easy way of exporting screenshots from the vita? If you try via vitashell, you'll see they're randomly strewn between 2 letter folders, not organized by game or date as far as I can tell.

FFX-2 puts most PS2 remasters on the vita to shame, pity we didn't get more

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 14, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It's a bit fiddly and sometimes getting it to connect can take a little, but qcma on your pc, and then copying via the photo app and a usb or wifi connection to your pc should work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

It's a bit fiddly and sometimes getting it to connect can take a little, but qcma on your pc, and then copying via the photo app and a usb or wifi connection to your pc should work.

QCMA is indeed fiddly, and iirc it always redumps all your screenshots, regardless of what you previously imported, and doesn't organize them or even retain date information.

My current solution is to instead search for png files in the screenshots folder using my FTP client, and then just copy and paste everything, skipping the images I imported before. Not too elegant or quick, but it works (though again, no sorting by game). Just thought someone might have created a dedicated utility.

Atomizer posted:

I dug up my PSP stuff in the middle of last year. Thankfully I didn't leave the batteries in the handhelds, because they all (3) expanded and would've damaged the PSPs. I cracked open the shells and removed the battery from within because I saw online that you can order replacement cells and this might yield better results than the remaining 3rd party battery packs left on the market.

The one at the top of the image above was the battery from my original PSP, from 2005, so that's what it looked like after ~14 years. It was swollen so badly the shell (which I still have if anyone's curious what it looks like) split down the sides, but along the edges instead of the seams. For comparison, the battery in my Nintendo DS (from 2004) has not swollen at all and still holds a charge.

I just checked my battery, it looked fine. But I have a 3000 model, which might not have those issues?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 16, 2020

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know if there's a quick and easy way of exporting screenshots from the vita? If you try via vitashell, you'll see they're randomly strewn between 2 letter folders, not organized by game or date as far as I can tell.

Try this plugin https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,51.0.html

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Awesome, thanks.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
drat, reading this thread I checked on the box I put my PSP in ages ago and not only is the battery super inflated, it busted through the back covering it and popped off to boot. Lesson learned.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've no idea where my PSP is so I'm assuming it's a time bomb ready to kill me

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The new Catherine jp to eng 1.0 patch works rather well

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I kinda wanna dig out my Japanese launch PSP now and make sure it's not ready to burst into flames and kill me.

It was fine last year so hopefully not!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was having a gay old time reminiscing about my old PSP save files (wanted to look up my Metal Gear Acid deck) when

Apparently Gran Turismo Portable won't let you import saves from another device. Any other game do this? (Also why, Sony?)

Newest thing on the memory stick was the 2011 Japanese Agito demo (with a translated controls.jpg)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 17, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Actually I'm glad this thread made me grab my PSP out of the drawer and check it. I pulled the PSP out of its clam shell and the battery just loving fell out, and doesn't fit back in place.

And, you're right, dear reader, that's not a scratch, it's a crack on the casing from how swollen it is.

E: Oh, it's a silver PSP-2000 that could be CFW'd when that still mattered. Dunno what the manufacture date is other than that.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 17, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Time to toss it into the ocean.

I really need to check mine now.. Jesus.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The one problem I'm having with this is that it's marking all the images and their directories as system hidden files.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I just checked my battery, it looked fine. But I have a 3000 model, which might not have those issues?

If memory serves, the first-gen had a 1.8 Ah battery, then the 2nd & 3rd-gens (which I think were more power-efficient) used a slimmer 1.2 Ah battery (but then there was a kit with a bigger battery door to accommodate a larger battery anyway.)

Lithium secondary cells do have a tendency to expand like that, and none of this is all that unexpected, especially considering some of these original battery packs are going on 15 years old at this point, but in my experience some of them are more prone to expansion than others. As mentioned, my DS's battery is older and still apparently fine, but my old Galaxy Note 3 would more or less constantly blow up batteries (to the tune of like 1/year, as I kept using it for a while as a spare Android device) which was less relevant when phones had user-replaceable batteries behind a simple removable door! :rolleyes: A couple months ago I replaced the battery in an Asus Zenfone; it had expanded to the point where it disconnected its own power connector, preventing it from charging or running the device.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its been a while since I checked in on the Vita emulation scene. Is there a way to get perfect, or at least extremely smooth non-choppy 16 bit emulation yet?

Last time I tried Genesis and SNES it was pretty rough

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its been a while since I checked in on the Vita emulation scene. Is there a way to get perfect, or at least extremely smooth non-choppy 16 bit emulation yet?

Last time I tried Genesis and SNES it was pretty rough

Yes, it's not great. Most SNES games are certainly playable, and from my (admittedly limited) testing many will even run at 60, but you're likey to get some hiccups now and then, and some games just run like poo poo. From my understanding snes9x 2005 plus is a good middle ground between accuracy and performance, but again some games will chug. For instance, I used that core in retroarch to test FFVI, and though I could turbo to over 100fps in some places, in others it couldn't hit 60. Switching to another core, I got a smoother experience but the audio was worse.

Genesis I've tested even less, but everything appeared to run well. Played a few hours of Phantasy Star IV.

^^this is an annoying, (ironically!) timewasting feature

Retroarch GBA support otoh, was recently improved. The gpSP emulator now works better as a core than an adrenaline (psp) app. Unfortunately Retroarch doesn't have Adrenaline's low cost screen filtering. (worth noting some games, like Golden Sun, are just broken with this emulator)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 19, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mind this was without any overclocking. I imagine that might push some titles into "acceptable" territory.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The newer devices like the RG350 are much better with emulation (afaik perfect with all snes) and will play PS1 games too.

I kinda gave up on emulation with my vita and just use it for ps1 / psp / vita which it’s perfect for.

The vita will still remote play with the PS4 right? Does the pro do anything at all for remote play?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Just checked mine. I had two batteries. The one that was inside the PSP was bloated and cracked open, the other one was perfectly normal. No idea if either one was a third party battery, they both look the same (other than the obvious damage).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Random discovery: you can turbo PS1 games in Adrenaline by pressing L+Select. How much fast forwarding you'll get depends on how demanding the game is, but I imagine it'll be quite handy for slower turn based RPGs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
holy poo poo ps vita thread

on this 420th day of the eighth year of aqarius

is there a way to import my physical ps1 and ps2 memory card data to my ps vita

is there a way to modify suikoden 2 on my ps vita with the fan patch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

If this is important to you, there are PS1 to PS3 memory card adapters. After that you should be able to transfer the save files from PS3 to Vita.

Vita can't play PS2 Games.

I'm not sure how patching a PS1 game would work. Easiest solution would be to transfer an already patched version (which requires custom firmware).

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
what are the ten best vita games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys Origin
Ys Memories of Celceta
Ys 8
Ys Oath in Felgana PSP
Ys 1&2 Collection PSP
Ys 7 PSP
Ys 6 PSP

Then some other non Ys games I dunno

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Hace posted:

Persona 4 Golden
Killzone Mercenary
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Ys Memories of Celceta
Tales of Hearts R
Rayman Legends
Tearaway
Trails of Cold Steel
Hot Shots Golf
Dragon's Crown

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The White Dragon posted:

https://www.cfwaifu.com/psx2psp/

Hace posted:

Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice Delta, P4G, Tearaway to name a few

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Stardew Valley for Vita hasn't been updated in forever (and won't be, afaik) but it's still Stardew Valley so it's still pretty good.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Atomizer posted:

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up, thread.

My 2000 is intact and beautiful as always, but I went and yanked the battery right out, since trips are a thing of the past anyways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Touch my Katamari and Me&my Katamari, which is wildly enhanced by having the second analog stick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kinda sad the system barely got any Final Fantasies (two by my count, FFX/X-2 and World of FF), let alone exclusive ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rinkles posted:

Kinda sad the system barely got any Final Fantasies (two by my count, FFX/X-2 and World of FF), let alone exclusive ones.

Final Fantasy 1-9 are playable on the Vita in various forms, if that means anything.