Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Camrath posted:

Which actually raises a completely unrelated point in my mind- as mentioned, my friend transitioned (though after we had parted ways as friends and socially- I’ve never met her under her current identity). When referring to someone’s pre-transition life, is it correct to use their identity and pronouns as they presented at the time, or to refer to them as their present gender retroactively? In this case I’m talking about someone who I only knew as a curly haired prepubescent boy, so though I consciously know that they’ve transitioned I’ve never met them since.

I'm not trans so I correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it's most helpful to think of "transitioning" as "coming out as trans". She was a girl who was expected to dress and behave like a boy because of a decision someone else made.
Also, it's best not to use someone's pre-transition name unless they give permission.

I don't know how to answer the question of how to deal with the situation of "do you know so-and-so", for when someone may have met them pre-transition, though.

Edit: on this day, in 1998 the Good Friday Agreement was signed.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Good luck with this lol.
My home area in NI has a few vegetable picking farms, and before the virus they couldn't get enough people to pick the stuff here for the last few decades.
Can't see the locals volunteering to do poo poo here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesla was right posted:

I'm not trans so I correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it's most helpful to think of "transitioning" as "coming out as trans". She was a girl who was expected to dress and behave like a boy because of a decision someone else made.
Also, it's best not to use someone's pre-transition name unless they give permission.

I don't know how to answer the question of how to deal with the situation of "do you know so-and-so", for when someone may have met them pre-transition, though.

I have a relative who 'transitioned' - actually was born intersex - brought up as a girl and transitioned about 15-20 years ago when he was about 30.

It was quite hard at first to remember to use his post-transition name when we had known him by a different name for many years previously and still very occasionally the old name slips out when talking about earlier times (which is rare these days).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have a relative who 'transitioned' - actually was born intersex - brought up as a girl and transitioned about 15-20 years ago when he was about 30.

It was quite hard at first to remember to use his post-transition name when we had known him by a different name for many years previously and still very occasionally the old name slips out when talking about earlier times (which is rare these days).

My friends former bro is transitioning to a sis, and my friend is contributing to her top surgery fund. I suggested she have a Deadname Jar where she puts in a fiver everytime she slips up and adds that to the fund

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think you could get away with smoking as your once daily government authorised exercise.

Raises the heart rate, gets you breathing more heavily, of course it's exercise.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I just signed up for that picking thing - I'm unemployed, fit and strong, much prefer manual labour than calling grannies or whatever, and really need to do something helpful - but I don't drive and live in the centre of Exeter, so I'm holding out hope that they have pickup trucks they just roll around in and pick up workers with like in america lol

I wanted to do stuff more locally but pretty much everything except aforementioned 'talk to grannies' roles is strictly car only

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely we've come full circle on the flat screen TVs by now and we've got unemployed council estate scroungers in track suits sniffing haughtily and saying I don't even own a TV actually.
I'm surprised that there haven't been a bunch of hipsters claiming the tube TVs somehow capture the visual effect better.

That's even true in some very edge cases, the shittiness of composite video and NTSC artifacts could be used to get some interesting effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc&t=404s

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Raises the heart rate, gets you breathing more heavily, of course it's exercise.
Don't forget the heart attack risk in the elderly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Barry Foster posted:

I just signed up for that picking thing - I'm unemployed, fit and strong, much prefer manual labour than calling grannies or whatever, and really need to do something helpful - but I don't drive and live in the centre of Exeter, so I'm holding out hope that they have pickup trucks they just roll around in and pick up workers with like in america lol

I wanted to do stuff more locally but pretty much everything except aforementioned 'talk to grannies' roles is strictly car only

You are getting paid for it, right?

minema
May 31, 2011
My sister transitioned about 4 years ago now and it would feel really weird to ever refer to her as my brother even if I was talking about our childhood. The only time I've ever had to clarify it is when I've been talking about the genetic condition that runs in our family - it's x-linked so she has it and I am only a carrier, but that's a super niche situation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

I'm surprised that there haven't been a bunch of hipsters claiming the tube TVs somehow capture the visual effect better.

That's even true in some very edge cases, the shittiness of composite video and NTSC artifacts could be used to get some interesting effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc&t=404s

Don't forget the heart attack risk in the elderly.

If it's endorsed by a US President you know it's safe!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Here's the promised 'balanced' cabinet:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1248597784229445633?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So just over half the people didn't vote for starmer...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

You are getting paid for it, right?

apparently it's 'at least minimum wage', but I don't care except insofar as I'll never work for free (for the sake of my coworkers). My partner is the breadwinner in our relationship, I've kind of given up on life and the world so I've not had a consistent job for a long time

Do you mean 'get paid = get train' or whatever, though? 'cause I don't think that'll help me get to farms out in the sticks

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Going through some old things of my grandparents; photos and general ancient unused, unsent cards and the like - most accidentally shocking find was find a load of christmas stamps from the charity Scope...only it's going by it's former name.

Gotta say it's jarring to see jolly cartoon angels and baby Jesus saying "Help the [slur]" :stare:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Camrath posted:

Which actually raises a completely unrelated point in my mind- as mentioned, my friend transitioned (though after we had parted ways as friends and socially- I’ve never met her under her current identity). When referring to someone’s pre-transition life, is it correct to use their identity and pronouns as they presented at the time, or to refer to them as their present gender retroactively? In this case I’m talking about someone who I only knew as a curly haired prepubescent boy, so though I consciously know that they’ve transitioned I’ve never met them since.

Tesla was right posted:

As A Trans, there can be some variation in how trans people think of their previous identities but this is the most common and a good default if you haven't explicitly been told otherwise.

And yeah Tesla that's a tricky one. if you know for sure that they knew each other pre-transition it should be okay but otherwise it might be better not to bother and just let them find out if they knew them rather than risk oversharing? maybe?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Barry Foster posted:

apparently it's 'at least minimum wage', but I don't care except insofar as I'll never work for free (for the sake of my coworkers). My partner is the breadwinner in our relationship, I've kind of given up on life and the world so I've not had a consistent job for a long time

Do you mean 'get paid = get train' or whatever, though? 'cause I don't think that'll help me get to farms out in the sticks

Read some Grapes of Wrath and then organise your co-workers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

namesake posted:

Read some Grapes of Wrath and then organise your co-workers.

oh I will be whispering communist poison into their ears, don't worry

that's basically all I do nowadays, which is why I don't have many friends lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pesky Splinter posted:

Going through some old things of my grandparents; photos and general ancient unused, unsent cards and the like - most accidentally shocking find was find a load of christmas stamps from the charity Scope...only it's going by it's former name.

Gotta say it's jarring to see jolly cartoon angels and baby Jesus saying "Help the [slur]" :stare:

Same is true for a number of 'slur' words such as cretin, moron, imbecile. They started off as terms for psychiatric or medical disorders.

Scope only changed to that name around mid 90s so for oldies like me, more or less 'yesterday'.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Josef bugman posted:

I just feel bad that I can't have restaurant food atm. I generally leave a bit aside each month for one per week, just to have that little bit of food I like without having to cook.

Now I don't feel able to because the only places that are open clearly don't care about their workers.

Some places are family run so might not be as much of an issue?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Same is true for a number of 'slur' words such as cretin, moron, imbecile. They started off as terms for psychiatric or medical disorders.

Scope only changed to that name around mid 90s so for oldies like me, more or less 'yesterday'.

Oh yeah, it's the Euphemism Treadmill at work. It was just kind of a "Oh Christmas stamps that's - wait - Bwhaaa!-:aaa:!

I still have to remind myself that the 90s and Y2K was literally a generation ago, and not like, last year. :corsair:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Friend of a friend who is an undertaker request:

quote:

Could I ask everyone for some help at this very difficult time....

If you see a hearse, could you stop, stand for a moment as it passes, perhaps take off your cap, and bow your head?

As funeral directors we are finding it very hard to give our families the personal service we pride ourselves on with all the restrictions we have to abide by.
Some of our families are still wanting the funeral cortège to leave from the families home, so we are also asking neighbours of the deceased to come to their front doors and pay their respects as the hearse drives past.
Sometimes it’s just the little things that make all the difference and in these hard times every little thing helps.

It would mean the world to families in a time of sadness.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1395403117334533&id=100005945749207

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^^^ do Brits not stop and take off any hats, when a hearse drives by? In Ireland you'd be a wrongun if you didn't do that, I even feel like a scrub not blessing myself even though Ive been an atheist since I was 11

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The euphemism treadmill

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

It sucks that it's almost certain that the casual terms we use today will probably be slurs in 50 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see "disabled" become an old-fashioned and offensive term.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Flipswitch posted:

Ya should all buy the ukmt fudge BTW it is excellent

:emptyquote:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Whatever you melty gammon.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:^^^^^ do Brits not stop and take off any hats, when a hearse drives by? In Ireland you'd be a wrongun if you didn't do that, I even feel like a scrub not blessing myself even though Ive been an atheist since I was 11

i cross myself, despite the fact i've never been christian. catholic schools go deep.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I still have to remind myself that the 90s and Y2K was literally a generation ago, and not like, last year. :corsair:

My theory for my own confusion is a numerical one - the 90s were well defined numbers, but now my brain keeps telling me it's "about the year 2000". Which is millennium terms is pretty much true, in century terms is kind of not really, and in decade terms hasn't been true for like 16 years.

But the roundness of the number just broke something in my brain, and now I can't compute how someone born in the early 1940s isn't "about 60".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh yeah, it's the Euphemism Treadmill at work. It was just kind of a "Oh Christmas stamps that's - wait - Bwhaaa!-:aaa:!

It's interesting how derogatory it's seen in the UK, compared with everywhere else. I blame Blue Peter.

Also given it's still present in most of the medical literature, it's interesting that Scope changed their whole brand and philosophy and, well, scope rather than just going by an abbreviated name like say the UNCF and NAACP do, both of which contain terms that have fallen off of the treadmill.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well some do, but others not. I'm not sure if it's a custom that is dying out or whether I simply don't see that many hearses.
There was an awful incident a few years ago of a funeral cortege with the black horses and a woman in a car overtook it and ploughed into the horses killing one of them. Her husband was a local police person of some kind and so she never got charged.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/business-ruins-after-horrific-accident-12658547

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think Grange Hill, or maybe another kids show, had used the now slur term in an innocent way, and that is how it spread around as an insult to kids.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Must admit, when my brother died and we were in the limo on the way to the Crem, we slowly passed this old guy who stood ramrod straight and took his trilby off and held it to his chest. It was very moving, and I'll always remember it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

My theory for my own confusion is a numerical one - the 90s were well defined numbers, but now my brain keeps telling me it's "about the year 2000". Which is millennium terms is pretty much true, in century terms is kind of not really, and in decade terms hasn't been true for like 16 years.

But the roundness of the number just broke something in my brain, and now I can't compute how someone born in the early 1940s isn't "about 60".

I was born in 1960 and I'm very 'about 60' before the end of April in fact. How to celebrate in lockdown?
My 50th took place when that dratted volcano stopped northern Europe so half my friends were stuck in the wrong country (it being school holidays).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was born in 1960 and I'm very 'about 60' before the end of April in fact. How to celebrate in lockdown?
My 50th took place when that dratted volcano stopped northern Europe so half my friends were stuck in the wrong country (it being school holidays).

I'm really glad you post in this thread

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So you are saying, for humanity's sake, you need to stop having birthdays?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

I think Grange Hill, or maybe another kids show, had used the now slur term in an innocent way, and that is how it spread around as an insult to kids.
It was Blue Peter.

Spastic cerebral palsy is still the correct term for the condition, but as a general rule you should not be calling people diseases or disorders anyway, so saying someone is 'an epileptic' or 'a hemophiliac' is also dated and probably best avoided.

One counter example to that is with autism, where there's a whole :can: about whether it's autistics, autistic people, people with autism, or people who have autism.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

So you are saying, for humanity's sake, you need to stop having birthdays?

So it has been said.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Flipswitch posted:

Ya should all buy the ukmt fudge BTW it is excellent

<3

Thanks guys, feedback like this always makes my day.

I'll be opening for orders in the next week or so, once we get to the other side of easter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't wear hats so nope.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Necrothatcher posted:

It sucks that it's almost certain that the casual terms we use today will probably be slurs in 50 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see "disabled" become an old-fashioned and offensive term.

I've thought the same thing, especially with how averse abled people are to.... actually using the word disabled.

I've had well-meaning people like gasp and say "you're not!" as if I'm being self-deprecating when I use it to describe myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting how derogatory it's seen in the UK, compared with everywhere else. I blame Blue Peter.

Also given it's still present in most of the medical literature, it's interesting that Scope changed their whole brand and philosophy and, well, scope rather than just going by an abbreviated name like say the UNCF and NAACP do, both of which contain terms that have fallen off of the treadmill.

I feel that rebranding themselves to the 'SS' would have created more problems than it solved.