Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think the main visual thing that bothered me in the demo is Barret's small head. The dude's proportions are all jacked up. Maybe it's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not reading a loving word until I finish this game cuz I want it all to be a surprise but just wanted to post that I have the game and I sure do hope it’s good.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
The skybox in Chapter 3 is just bonkers good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

I think the main visual thing that bothered me in the demo is Barret's small head. The dude's proportions are all jacked up. Maybe it's just me.

They're just doing an homage to Bullet

https://twitter.com/kidfenris/status/1247738542488522752?s=20

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:wellactually: The Japanese names in those screenshots are the same they've always been, blame whoever came up with that flyer

(besides if his name in the Japanese version actually was Bullet then it would probably have been anglicized as Brett)

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Mainwaring posted:

Only real gripe I have with the combat system so far (at chapter 10) is that limit breaks have been super rare. Obviously you shouldn't be able to use them all the time, but I've had entire boss battles where none of my characters have managed to charge their limit and that feels sort of meh.

There are two accessories that really help. One that charges the limit guage when using MP (Colosseum reward I think?) and one that charges it when you use atb (hope you like breaking even more boxes).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One and a half hours into the game and my decision to buy a PS4 last December solely for this game is already feeling justified. :swoon:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

So far it seems like the biggest boost to the limit meter you can get is by landing the staggering blow on an enemy, so it's possible the bosses where nobody charged their limits are bosses you beat without staggering them much. I know I've seen Cloud's limit meter jump like 30% all at once from landing a Focused Thrust that staggered something.

I don't see why they couldn't have just let the limit break bar stay built up between fights. At least then you'd get one at relatively regular intervals.

And I agree about the NPC chatter. Wearing headphones it's really loud, and when you're in a populated area it's just a wall of noise. Which is a shame because the chatter itself is really great.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crossposting on my impressions:

Okay so I'm in Ch3 and here's some thoughts.

The good:
* The level of environmental detail is insane. I think this might be one of the most immersive games I've played. I keep expecting to witness an arrow-to-the-knee NPC repeating dialogue but it's like every single one of them had a very careful scenario writing to make sure you get the full range of reactions as you go through places.
* The game is very linear like FFX but it doesn't give me FFXIII vibes, probably because events are happening and the places and events look kinda dynamic. Considering the original is very linear too, not much to complain here.
* To reiterate on the environment detail, some things are just better. I never gave much thought to how it'd feel to have a metal plate as your roof in the original because you see everything from the top-down and everything is bright in the original. The slums feel even more like real slums, with all the garbage on the ground and the fences and holy poo poo, the scenario writing/art department/VAs are carrying this thing.
* The secondary characterization is really good. It feels like the game is really playing on the strengths of the original outside of the downright insane dementors and plot changes. The secondary dialogue feels really in tune with the original but better. Like how they amp up Barret feeling like he's losing the moral ground when talking to the Shinra executives and get mad by it.
* The music is fantastic.

The bad:
* Some awkward translation choices.
* Some parts just feel like dragging too much. I am not hating it right now but I can see it getting worse.
* Minor but some of the combat choices are really over the top. I feel like the Guard Scorpion goes for way too long for a first boss. Against all odds I enjoy the combat to some extent but if someone dislikes it the game must be feeling like a huuuge drag at parts.

The ugly:
* You get a Sephiroth. You get a Sephiroth. Everyone gets a Sephie. It's like while doing research they read that people loved to name all characters Sephiroth so maybe we were onto something. The first time we meet him and Cloud like turns back around is almost directed and played like a comedy.
* Why, why, why did they put Langoliers flying around everywhere. Why. We don't need to copy more Stephen King books in FF7.

So basically 10/10 game of the year. I'll probably put up a LP with my live blind playing notes today and set the rules to discuss only the things that have happened until the current LP chapter.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

stev posted:

And I agree about the NPC chatter. Wearing headphones it's really loud, and when you're in a populated area it's just a wall of noise. Which is a shame because the chatter itself is really great.

frankly this is the horniest populace of people I have ever seen in my life. every other NPC in the slums is trying to take a trip to poundtown

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aye Doc posted:

frankly this is the horniest populace of people I have ever seen in my life. every other NPC in the slums is trying to take a trip to poundtown

That's accurate to real life

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

anakha posted:

One and a half hours into the game and my decision to buy a PS4 last December solely for this game is already feeling justified. :swoon:

Bwa ha ha ha, same. I was literally pre-buying for this in August and basically only played FFXV on it in that time.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

That's slum life. Everybody's loving everybody.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aye Doc posted:

HEY TIFA

SEE YOU AT THE BAR LATER

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really just can't get enough of the character interactions. That part is just so loving good so far. I think I underestimated my level of nostalgia for these characters because seeing them all interact like this is really warming my heart.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elentor posted:

Yeah why the gently caress is the whole soundtrack not on streaming services yet Square?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I spoiled myself a bit on some later music tracks and good god is this OST incredible

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is the entire soundtrack strings/orchestra or do they use guitar, piano, etc like on the original soundtrack?

The heavy metal boss music was one of the best parts of the original.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Harrow posted:

I really just can't get enough of the character interactions. That part is just so loving good so far. I think I underestimated my level of nostalgia for these characters because seeing them all interact like this is really warming my heart.

Especially considering they all feel like they did in the original, but better since they have more time to breathe and interact.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zakharov posted:

Is the entire soundtrack strings/orchestra or do they use guitar, piano, etc like on the original soundtrack?

The heavy metal boss music was one of the best parts of the original.

Every boss seems to have its own arrangement, I think one of the ones in Shin-Ra tower is supposed to have a more Black Mages-y feel.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah why the gently caress is the whole soundtrack not on streaming services yet Square?

That's exactly what I was thinking, like Square made a big deal that they released they're games soundtracks on streaming services, why this one?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

stev posted:

They gotta milk direct sales first, of course.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think my biggest complaint about the game, so far, is having TW3 flashbacks having to maneuver Cloud into the right position to interact with poo poo.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

esperterra posted:

I think my biggest complaint about the game, so far, is having TW3 flashbacks having to maneuver Cloud into the right position to interact with poo poo.

I found this to be a little jankity in the demo at well.

"YOU'RE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CHEST, OPEN IT"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's also some delay with opening chests even if you are lined up correctly.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Elentor posted:

Crossposting on my impressions:

Okay so I'm in Ch3 and here's some thoughts.

The good:
* The level of environmental detail is insane. I think this might be one of the most immersive games I've played. I keep expecting to witness an arrow-to-the-knee NPC repeating dialogue but it's like every single one of them had a very careful scenario writing to make sure you get the full range of reactions as you go through places.
* The game is very linear like FFX but it doesn't give me FFXIII vibes, probably because events are happening and the places and events look kinda dynamic. Considering the original is very linear too, not much to complain here.
* To reiterate on the environment detail, some things are just better. I never gave much thought to how it'd feel to have a metal plate as your roof in the original because you see everything from the top-down and everything is bright in the original. The slums feel even more like real slums, with all the garbage on the ground and the fences and holy poo poo, the scenario writing/art department/VAs are carrying this thing.
* The secondary characterization is really good. It feels like the game is really playing on the strengths of the original outside of the downright insane dementors and plot changes. The secondary dialogue feels really in tune with the original but better. Like how they amp up Barret feeling like he's losing the moral ground when talking to the Shinra executives and get mad by it.

The bad:
* Some awkward translation choices.
* Some parts just feel like dragging too much. I am not hating it right now but I can see it getting worse.
* Minor but some of the combat choices are really over the top. I feel like the Guard Scorpion goes for way too long for a first boss. Against all odds I enjoy the combat to some extent but if someone dislikes it the game must be feeling like a huuuge drag at parts.

The ugly:
* You get a Sephiroth. You get a Sephiroth. Everyone gets a Sephie. It's like while doing research they read that people loved to name all characters Sephiroth so maybe we were onto something. The first time we meet him and Cloud like turns back around is almost directed and played like a comedy.
* Why, why, why did they put Langoliers flying around everywhere. Why. We don't need to copy more Stephen King books in FF7.

So basically 10/10 game of the year. I'll probably put up a LP with my live blind playing notes today and set the rules to discuss only the things that have happened until the current LP chapter.

I got through the second chapter last night before I went to bed and I'm on board with this assessment. I think the addition of Sepiroth all over the place from the moment the first reactor blows up is kind of a mistake. I think he works a lot better in the original when he's not really present in the plot until the very end of Midgar. Original FF7 Sephiroth in the 'modern day/non-flashback stuff' didn't really have much of a personality because most of what we seen of him was just a shell that looked like him being puppeted by Jenova. I think having him show up from the word go to menace Cloud really distracts from that whole Midgar's arc being focused solely on Shinra.

That being said, there are a ton of things that are changed for the better. You know basically right away that Cloud is functionally broken and his visions come across as being way more extreme in this game than what you seen in the original. I love the extra personality they gave the Avalanche gang and the way Jessie crushes on Cloud constantly is adorable. They nailed Barret's voice acting and he always talks like a pro wrestler cutting a promo in the best way. They give some of the more obscure plot points in the original a lot more time to breath. One example of that being the Wutai war being more of a presence in the remake with chatter about it. I know that confused a lot of streamers who played the original decades ago but that really was something that really only got play in the optional areas. Yuffie's whole character arc centered around the disgrace Wutai felt from loosing the war and how to regain their honor.

Combat wise I'm having way more fun with this than I did Final Fantasy 15 as a whole. I picked up and equipped that deadly dodge materia during the sector 8 escape and immediately equipped it and had a blast with it. It strikes the right balance of being active with dodging blocking and auto-attacking without it just getting mashy or going full-Dark-Souls. I didn't play the demo but the Scorpion boss fight was a pretty stiff challenge and pretty fun, if maybe a little long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Making the Wutai stuff more frontloaded is a good hcoice in a lot of ways, since Yuffie's almost definitely forced in this version. Giving her subplot more presence in the main story fits that better.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m watching a stream and am completely baffled by the tone of Tifa taking Cloud around for a friendly neighborhood collection racket. Did the people who made this game not know “protection” is a loving shakedown?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm of two minds with the visions of Sephiroth haunting Cloud thing. I don't mind it in theory-- we can't avoid Sephiroth too much, even if in the original we wouldn't encounter him much at all til way later. But breaking the game up, they need to make him a little more prominent. I take issue with shoving him into the first like hour of the game, though. They were getting across Cloud not being 100% there already without Sephi-chan showing up to goad him immediately.

Kind of hard to do the slow burn story of slowly revealing what Sephiroth did to Cloud and Tifa, and Nibelheim as a whole, in a remake of a decades old game that even people who haven't played it know he's the big bad anyway. Might as well have some fun with it. But that first encounter came off way too comical.

e: ^ lol just lol if you don't do all those lovely sidequests immediately just to spend more time with tifa

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's gonna be weird in part 2 when you have the A-team already and all the new party members are absolute Z tier weirdos.

Except Cait Sith, he's a boi.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m watching a stream and am completely baffled by the tone of Tifa taking Cloud around for a friendly neighborhood collection racket. Did the people who made this game not know “protection” is a loving shakedown?

They're "selling water filters". Until Cloud intimidates a guy into paying for a broken water filter. Definitely intentional.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Combat wise I'm having way more fun with this than I did Final Fantasy 15 as a whole. I picked up and equipped that deadly dodge materia during the sector 8 escape and immediately equipped it and had a blast with it. It strikes the right balance of being active with dodging blocking and auto-attacking without it just getting mashy or going full-Dark-Souls. I didn't play the demo but the Scorpion boss fight was a pretty stiff challenge and pretty fun, if maybe a little long.

What's kind of fun about the Scorpion Sentinel boss is that it can be really long and drawn out, or it can be over in like 4 minutes, depending entirely on how well you know the combat. If you didn't play the demo you wouldn't have had the opportunity to practice against that boss, but once you really see how it works you can just chump him. Constantly switching back and forth between Cloud and Barret to build ATB, focusing on staggering by putting the Scorpion in the "pressured" state with Thunder and then hitting it with Focused Thrust/Shot, all of those things just let you chew through its HP so much faster.

From what early players have been saying that never really changes, either. Boss fights can seem to drag if you don't catch onto how to pressure/stagger them, and once you do, you can do a lot more damage.

esperterra posted:

I'm of two minds with the visions of Sephiroth haunting Cloud thing. I don't mind it in theory-- we can't avoid Sephiroth too much, even if in the original we wouldn't encounter him much at all til way later. But breaking the game up, they need to make him a little more prominent. I take issue with shoving him into the first like hour of the game, though. They were getting across Cloud not being 100% there already without Sephi-chan showing up to goad him immediately.

Yeah, I expected Sephiroth to be much more prominent, but I think it would've been a good idea to give the game a few hours to breathe before he comes in. Do a slower burn of Cloud's visions, have him maybe see flashes of Sephiroth but never his face, and then finally reveal him a few hours in rather than pretty much right off the bat.

Maybe it'll pay off in some way, though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 10, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stev posted:

It's gonna be weird in part 2 when you have the A-team already and all the new party members are absolute Z tier weirdos.

Except Cait Sith, he's a boi.

They're "selling water filters". Until Cloud intimidates a guy into paying for a broken water filter. Definitely intentional.
Yuffie's the best FF7 character.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

While it's true that theres a bit too much Sephiroth in chapters 1-2 they really dial it back after that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mainwaring posted:

While it's true that theres a bit too much Sephiroth in chapters 1-2 they really dial it back after that.

Yeah, I've only had a dumb ghost encounter since thenm that I thought was going to be a dream sequence but I guess actually wasn't?? lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I expected Sephiroth to be much more prominent, but I think it would've been a good idea to give the game a few hours to breathe before he comes in. Do a slower burn of Cloud's visions, have him maybe see flashes of Sephiroth but never his face, and then finally reveal him a few hours in rather than pretty much right off the bat.

Maybe it'll pay off in some way, though.

They went blew the full Iconic Sephiroth Nibelheim Shot way too early lmfao

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Based on the firs 4 hours I played... Square delivered, game owns :allears:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
LMAO when Cloud tries to open a locked door he shakes his head and shrugs just like in the original. I love all these little details.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
New Recruit at the start of chapter 3 is my new favorite boy. I hope I hear more from this dude.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Petition to let Cloud keep his sword out when slashing crates rather than watching him sheathe and unsheathe it every five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is harder than Persona 5 Royal on Merciless. I actually got a gameover in FF7.

If that stupid house monster is in the remake it's probably going to destroy me.