Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

I feel that rebranding themselves to the 'SS' would have created more problems than it solved.
I was thinking they could have gone for TSS, like a number of schools have done. That should be pretty unobjectionable unless they used a runic font.

116 is Alien Ant Farm in the secret nazi code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is the taking the hat off thing some hangover from like suits of armour or something? I mean otherwise why does it matter if a dead body sees me with a hat on?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is the taking the hat off thing some hangover from like suits of armour or something? I mean otherwise why does it matter if a dead body sees me with a hat on?

like most things around funerals it’s not for the benefit of the deceased, it’s for the bereaved. you’re showing a mark of respect. so making a deliberate point to not do it has no purpose other than disrespect. maybe it is a pointless tradition, but that’s not a hill worth dying on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It was Blue Peter.

Spastic cerebral palsy is still the correct term for the condition, but as a general rule you should not be calling people diseases or disorders anyway, so saying someone is 'an epileptic' or 'a hemophiliac' is also dated and probably best avoided.

One counter example to that is with autism, where there's a whole :can: about whether it's autistics, autistic people, people with autism, or people who have autism.

I try to describe everyone as "having _____" or that they are someone "with ______".
The other counter example would be Deaf people, because the Deaf community gets really irate if you describe them as having deafness or having a hearing impairment. Unless they're deaf, but not Deaf, in which case they probably don't care one way or the other.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Cerv posted:

like most things around funerals it’s not for the benefit of the deceased, it’s for the bereaved. you’re showing a mark of respect. so making a deliberate point to not do it has no purpose other than disrespect. maybe it is a pointless tradition, but that’s not a hill worth dying on.

Yes. Obviously. But why the hat? I was wondering if it was like taking your helm off to show who you are and that your not about to stay a fight or whatever as the mark of respect.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
drat I've been clapping every time a hearse goes past, why is everything so complicated

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

It was Blue Peter.

Ah Blue Peter.
That show that confused the poo poo out of every NI kid.
Where you always wondered where the gently caress you get sticky back plastic near you (no newsagents or such near me had any), why England had an abundance of it,
and why every November 5th they would dress up a week after you did at Halloween and cart a shittily looking man in a wheelbarrow demanding money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

Ah Blue Peter.
Where you always wondered where the gently caress you get sticky back plastic near you (no newsagents or such near me had any), why England had an abundance of it,

But you weren't meant to. They always said "you should use an oxyacetylene welding torch for this, but we're using double sided sticky tape for speed".

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

Ah Blue Peter.
and why every November 5th they would dress up a week after you did at Halloween and cart a shittily looking man in a wheelbarrow demanding money.

Don't forget about pipe cleaners. The ultimate macgubbin for making home crafted devices or people.
But something that no store stocked since the 1970's.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

It was Blue Peter.

Spastic cerebral palsy is still the correct term for the condition, but as a general rule you should not be calling people diseases or disorders anyway, so saying someone is 'an epileptic' or 'a hemophiliac' is also dated and probably best avoided.

One counter example to that is with autism, where there's a whole :can: about whether it's autistics, autistic people, people with autism, or people who have autism.

saying i'm a hemophiliac to try and win a fight though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc61cfiodYw

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

elbkaida posted:

Some places are family run so might not be as much of an issue?

Because I am trying to leave the house as little as possible and all the family run places near me are closed.

I haven't gone further than 2 streets from my house in a little under 3 weeks now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Because I am trying to leave the house as little as possible and all the family run places near me are closed.

I haven't gone further than 2 streets from my house in a little under 3 weeks now.

Get a takeaway?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The things I could have made as a child if I'd ever had sticky back plastic...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

I try to describe everyone as "having _____" or that they are someone "with ______".
The other counter example would be Deaf people, because the Deaf community gets really irate if you describe them as having deafness or having a hearing impairment. Unless they're deaf, but not Deaf, in which case they probably don't care one way or the other.
Yeah, it's a case of person first language vs. identity first language.

So with disorders and conditions, it's considered best practice to put the person first, like person with epilepsy rather than epileptic person. So people who see autism as that (usually parents of children with autism), they push for that.

But for people who see it as an integral part of their identity rather than a 'disorder', i.e. that autistic and allistic brains just see the world in different ways, they'd say "you wouldn't say person with Catholicism*, you'd say Catholic person" and push for the identifier.

And then everyone talks past each other forever, so it's a debate that will keep coming up.

*That's a pretty amusing way to describe the overtly religious though.

happyhippy posted:

Ah Blue Peter.
A bunch of Catholics got murdered so every year thousands of English accidentally set their yard on fire to celebrate, just with explosives rather than pallets.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol the bbc live ticker thing is now saying people in cornwall are being encouraged to report each other.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

I'd say that's true round my way too. Almost every family run business - regardless of whether it is allowed to be open or not - has closed because almost all of the families concerned have a very vulnerable person in them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol the bbc live ticker thing is now saying people in cornwall are being encouraged to report each other.

Encouraged to report what? That they are Cornish?

"I think my neighbour is a person from Cornwall. Lock them up, before they rat me out for also being Cornish."

Meanwhile over in ISF.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1248610750580453377

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I was out briefly earlier, and there were two people sitting in a very conspicuous car, so I assume I'm on The List now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes. Obviously. But why the hat? I was wondering if it was like taking your helm off to show who you are and that your not about to stay a fight or whatever as the mark of respect.

It's only in the last 40 - 50 years that most people haven't worn hats or scarves outside, and taking hat off was considered a mark of respect for centuries (I don't know the origin of that, but probably in the same sort of way that if a man and woman are walking together down a pavement, the man should walk on the outside so his sword arm is free to defend the lady - obviously assumes right handedness).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Do irish simpsons fans ever talk about the simpsons?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I loving knew we'd gently caress this up too

Why can't we do anything right? Why do we have to be either 'lol nothing matters laissez-faire herd immunity' or loving stasi-calling police state?

we are such utter garbage people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Why can't we do anything right? Why do we have to be either 'lol nothing matters laissez-faire herd immunity' or loving stasi-calling police state?

Liberalism sets the foundations for fascism.

Like a decent response from day 1 would have meant that we didn't need this bullshit.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

took the babby out for the daily walk, loads of people sunbathing and drinking in the parks today with music and bbqs all going on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not sure if it's the origin of it, but in England taking your hat off when you entered church was supposedly you showing that you weren't hiding from God, compared to the other Abrahammic religions (and indeed many Christian sects) that actually want you to wear a hat, presumably because God is sick of looking at bald spots.

Conversely, in the English courts, the judge would put a black cloth over the top of his head when sentencing someone to death so God couldn't see him passing the sentence (power over life and death of course being God's thing), which is a bit of theological sleight-of-hand that would have Rabbis howling.

I think the use outside of church is just a general, very visible, way of showing respect - see also hat tipping as a general hello/goodbye. I don't *think* it's a military thing because the military don't generally take their hats off to show respect - a salute or bow/nod/curtsy is more traditional, but I'm sure there's some tradition where the 9th Wessex Peculiars wear their hats on their knees on St. Swithins Day or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's only in the last 40 - 50 years that most people haven't worn hats or scarves outside, and taking hat off was considered a mark of respect for centuries (I don't know the origin of that, but probably in the same sort of way that if a man and woman are walking together down a pavement, the man should walk on the outside so his sword arm is free to defend the lady - obviously assumes right handedness).

There's a rather more prosaic and practical reason for that - the man stands at the kerb side so if any passing traffic sprays up horse poo poo it hits him, not her. Now that's possibly/probably just as apocryphal as the sword thing, but I reckon horse poo poo was a lot more common than having a sword fight in most places in the world.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Barry Foster posted:

I mean we're not.

We're conditioned as a society to be selfish and antisocial by successive right wing governments and their media lackeys, and that's a problem.This is just how it manifests now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's also a Christian thing. Observant Jews and Muslims don't remove their headgear for any earthly person, so there were lots of Eastern European folk tales about how "the (((merchant))) or the Ottoman ambassador visited the Tsar, but did not remove his hat, so the hat was nailed to his head. This is very funny because Jews and foreigners are terrible."

Quakers also used to reject the "hat honour", especially around bishops. Wearing a big hat while preaching without licence and refusing to remove it for the bishops was a sign of bowing to no earthly Episcopal authority.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure if it's the origin of it, but in England taking your hat off when you entered church was supposedly you showing that you weren't hiding from God, compared to the other Abrahammic religions (and indeed many Christian sects) that actually want you to wear a hat, presumably because God is sick of looking at bald spots.

Conversely, in the English courts, the judge would put a black cloth over the top of his head when sentencing someone to death so God couldn't see him passing the sentence (power over life and death of course being God's thing), which is a bit of theological sleight-of-hand that would have Rabbis howling.

I think the use outside of church is just a general, very visible, way of showing respect - see also hat tipping as a general hello/goodbye. I don't *think* it's a military thing because the military don't generally take their hats off to show respect - a salute or bow/nod/curtsy is more traditional, but I'm sure there's some tradition where the 9th Wessex Peculiars wear their hats on their knees on St. Swithins Day or something.

Unless the hat is tin foil it's weird that god can see through the roof of the church but not your hat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Unless the hat is tin foil it's weird that god can see through the roof of the church but not your hat.
He sees you through the hole in the roof that allows Him to enter and leave, I'm not joking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if he's in the church rather than the holy spy satellite then he can still see you regardless of the hat!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Isomermaid posted:

I mean we're not.

We're conditioned as a society to be selfish and antisocial by successive right wing governments and their media lackeys, and that's a problem.This is just how it manifests now.

In an unusual twist the press are reporting how bad hundreds of reported deaths a day are by government inaction but even more surprisingly is it's foreigners dying. It's still okay to happen here.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a rather more prosaic and practical reason for that - the man stands at the kerb side so if any passing traffic sprays up horse poo poo it hits him, not her. Now that's possibly/probably just as apocryphal as the sword thing, but I reckon horse poo poo was a lot more common than having a sword fight in most places in the world.

And poo poo flung from above. Remember people would throw their contents of the potty's out the window into the street.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

if he's in the church rather than the holy spy satellite then he can still see you regardless of the hat!
If the entity that created the earth and the heavens, flooded the waters, made man out of dust, and will raise the dead come Judgement needs a hole to get in and out of a church that already has doors then it's possible that God has a very specific blindness to people wearing hats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which only invites the possibility of constructing some kind of hat based giant mecha so that we can attack heaven and claim it for the living.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That always felt much more likely to me - the right hand on the outside only works if you have the road on your right anyway - walking up with the road on your left puts your right hand in between.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Luiseach/status/1248623098930139141

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ the sims killer strikes again!

Barry Foster posted:

it's both!
we get the herd immunity from the government being all "do whatever it's coo" for weeks before half-arsing a lockdown
and we get the narcs because the government's encouraging everyone to blame each other for the results

I mean hell it worked for brexit, why not now

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 10, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Number go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't *think* it's a military thing because the military don't generally take their hats off to show respect - a salute or bow/nod/curtsy is more traditional, but I'm sure there's some tradition where the 9th Wessex Peculiars wear their hats on their knees on St. Swithins Day or something.

It used to be the done thing because it's just what one did in the presence of one's betters; there are books of standing orders from about the 18th century where they start to make a point of saying "the men shall not take off their hats in the presence of an officer, it is a sufficient compliment for them to put their hands up and bow"; then natural military osmosis turned vague forelock or brim-tugging into the modern salute, which in modern armies is only given if hats are being worn.