Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Klyith posted:

It's a Phision E12, so same thing as an Inland Premium or HP EX950. Doesn't show up in reccomendations just because they're normally sold at a higher price than other E12 drives. If you got it at a good enough discount, score.

Not that it really matters, but the HP EX950 has a Silicon Motion 2262EN, the same controller as the Adata sx8200 Pro and a small step up from E12 drives. They'll all be functionally equivalent for consumer tasks, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

why are GTX 1070s going for $600 retail?

should... I be selling mine?

lmao

I'm kinda behind on the times here but I was thinking I'd recently upgraded my video card and it was time to tick-tock upgrade the guts of my machine...

Anyway my proposed build is

Ryzen 3600
RTX 2070
32 GB DDR 3200
ASRock X570 to mitigate compatibility issues (Haven't done the reading on this)
this is bundled with a 500GB PCIe SSD
I have a bunch of other drives.

Is a 650W PSU sufficient to drive this?

This is just that weird section of Amazon where stock depletes and hits the scalpers. They don't actually sell for $600 - they're typically around $200 on ebay, and you'd need to jump up to at least a 2060 Super / 2070 to see a significant performance boost (though that would also give you access to the new DLSS features!)

Build looks good - 32GB isn't necessary for gaming now, but ram is still relatively cheap. You'll probably want to throw on a cheap cooler, too - the stock one is pretty loud. X570 is not necessary for compatibility - just get a Tomahawk MAX b450 (and most other b450s will be updated by now).

A 2070 and 2060 Super are basically the same, so don't buy a 2070 unless it's cheaper than an equivalent 2060 Super. Also, check performance benchmarks for the 2060 Super / 2070 Super if you're planning on running 1440p - it might be worth stepping up. If you're at 1080p, it might be worth stepping down to a 2060 if you can find one for ~$300.

Since SSDs are still relatively cheap, I'd also consider bumping up to 1TB. Games are getting bigger! SATA is fine for games - there's not really a noticeable advantage to NVMe drives.

E: If you have lots of games installed on spinny disks and you have a free SATA port, you might want to consider getting a small $10-15 ssd off ebay and setting up a read cache with Primocache. It's not as good as installing direction to an SSD, but it works well for games that load the same levels/assets many times (like multiplayer games).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 9, 2020

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Stickman posted:

This is just that weird section of Amazon where stock depletes and hits the scalpers. They don't actually sell for $600 - they're typically around $200 on ebay, and you'd need to jump up to at least a 2060 Super / 2070 to see a significant performance boost (though that would also give you access to the new DLSS features!)

Build looks good - 32GB isn't necessary for gaming now, but ram is still relatively cheap. You'll probably want to throw on a cheap cooler, too - the stock one is pretty loud. X570 is not necessary for compatibility - just get a Tomahawk MAX b450 (and most other b450s will be updated by now).

A 2070 and 2060 Super are basically the same, so don't buy a 2070 unless it's cheaper than an equivalent 2060 Super. Also, check performance benchmarks for the 2060 Super / 2070 Super if you're planning on running 1440p - it might be worth stepping up. If you're at 1080p, it might be worth stepping down to a 2060 if you can find one for ~$300.

Since SSDs are still relatively cheap, I'd also consider bumping up to 1TB. Games are getting bigger!

thanks for weighing in!

interesting note about the video card, but everything I see has 2070s at about the same price at 2060 supers. I'm at 1080p for games plus another monitor so I kinda land n the middle.

is a PCIe SSD noticeably faster than a SATA3 or whatever? I don't really need to go that way. I've got two other *SSD drives I'm migrating over anyway plus my NAS so... I'm not strapped for space. No spinny disks.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 9, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is a PCIe SSD noticeably faster than a SATA3 or whatever?

NVMe drives are rarely noticeably faster than sata SSDs for a user of desktop apps and games. They are a lot faster in raw bandwidth, and in highly-queued applications like databases. At the moment that doesn't translate well to many things us normal people do. Games generally only see a second or two of load speed increase (on 20-30s load times), because the CPU is doing a lot of work during the load and a faster drive doesn't help.

However, the new consoles are going to come with NMVe drives, and MS & Sony are spitting big game about how their custom drives are faster than PC drives, and how everything will load instantly on next-gen. Maybe they're right and games will start seeing more improvement from NMVe. It remains to be seen though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Klyith posted:

It remains to be seen though.

eah I'm just not invested that much in it

my machine is a PC of Theseus that set sail in like June of 2013 so I'm making several leaps replacing the guts regardless

thanks for everyone's thoughts this thread has been a godsend for 10 years

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

What’s the opinion on GPU bolsters/supports? I’m building with a Gigabyte 2070 Super, and sure, it’s heavy, so do I need one? I never put one in my old build with a 970.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Schiavona posted:

What’s the opinion on GPU bolsters/supports? I’m building with a Gigabyte 2070 Super, and sure, it’s heavy, so do I need one? I never put one in my old build with a 970.

My own anecdote is I've never used a GPU support before across 6 builds over about 17 years of PC gaming. I have only had one minor problem with a PCI-E slot once, and that was from a triple-slot monster of a GTX 580 on a motherboard that I really cheaped out on. Even then I just had to give the card a jiggle every now and again.

If you've got a monstrously heavy card and a really low-end motherboard, I can't see any harm in using a support bracket. But it seems to me that even a lot of midrange boards have metal reinforced PCI-E slots these days, so I personally wouldn't bother.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Looking to pick up a SSD for my budget build and I see a deal on a Western Digital nvme 500gb piece... My motherboard is the ASRock B450M Pro 4 and when I check the support list on the ASRock site I don't see the exact SSD i'm looking to buy on the list... Should I pick something that's only on the supported list or should I be okay picking this one up?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Schiavona posted:

What’s the opinion on GPU bolsters/supports?

Completely superfluous thing that was only invented after everyone got cases with windows and noticed that heavy GPUs don't stay at exact 90° angles.

Your GPU going a bit :flaccid: is an aesthetic thing only and a bolster is only needed if you care about its appearance.

Angry Asian posted:

Looking to pick up a SSD for my budget build and I see a deal on a Western Digital nvme 500gb piece... My motherboard is the ASRock B450M Pro 4 and when I check the support list on the ASRock site I don't see the exact SSD i'm looking to buy on the list... Should I pick something that's only on the supported list or should I be okay picking this one up?

NVMe support lists are 100% ignorable, it's not a thing that has any variance like DDR timings (all fast DDR ram is technically violating the spec, which is why you have to press a button in BIOSes to load XMP).

The two things that were ever a compatibility concern with NVMe drives were the first motherboards that barely supported it, and early drives that needed drivers in windows to work well. Both of which are long in the past.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
What're the high end CPU options right now, and when's gonna be the time to buy a new GPU?

I sprung for a 1060 gpu when they came out, like, two years ago, but I've been getting seriously bottle necked by my CPU which was middle of the line when I got it.... uh, 8 years ago. i5 3570k. I'm looking towards upgrading to a three monitor set up with my next build, because as it is I spend a ton of time keeping discord chats or forum posts open while watching a stream and trying to play a game all at the same time, and I want something that can just loving demolish all the asks streaming/streams/the most poorly coded web page in chrome/an MMORPG raid demand of a CPU, all at the same time. (probably gonna spring for 32 gb of ram, speaking of...)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you are just playing an actual game on only one monitor just get a 3700x / 2070 SUPER to ease your mind. No need in "waiting" for anything. Your tasks are not extremely demanding. You could probably get away with a 2060 SUPER as well if you aren't gaming at 1440p.

Also the 1060 is almost four years old.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Taking a look at getting a PC somehow. What's the second hand market like for Ryzen 5 and 7s? Are the first generation ones pretty much obsolete for the money now?

I wouldn't mind building one myself, but it seems that 2nd gen systems are going for some decent prices on ebay.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I got my parts today, and started building the machine. I tried to remove the heatsink to resocket it because the screws wouldn't hit the threads and I'd used too much thermal paste so the CPU got ripped out of its socket while in the locked position :eek:. Luckily everything works but that was a scare.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Built a PC for VR, first system I've built since 2012. Here's what I got:

Ryzen 5 3600 with Noctua NH-D15 Chromamax Black cooler
Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard
MSI RTX 2070 Super w/8GB GDDR6
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
16GB DDR4-3200 (soon to be 32GB)
EVGA 850 GQ PSU
NZXT H510 Case
Vive Cosmos Elite VR headset

I have a few questions I'm hoping y'all can assist with - and I apologize for the noob-ness as I'm knowledgeable enough to build a PC but I'm not a power user:

1). I despise bloatware so when I got a popup on every boot saying NVidia Control Panel wasn't installed I just disabled the service that causing the popup. I do have the latest graphics drivers installed - but don't have GeForce Experience, as I decided it was poo poo way back when they enforced account creation.
That said, I'm now leaning on my graphics card harder than I have with any computer I'm now wondering if I should get it, or if I'm fine without.

2). The motherboard came with "Aura" for managing RGB LEDs, a lovely news app and a branded version of CPU-Z. I am surprised there isn't something for like, monitoring sensors (e.g. fan speed/temps) at a glance and checking for BIOS updates. Any recommendations for some sort of smallish "widget" style utility?
Really looking for something simple/dashboardy for temps & speeds, rather than something like HWINFO.

3). Speaking of HWINFO/CPU-Z, it's reporting that the DRAM Frequency is 1197.7MHz, which- well, I'd expect that to say 3200MHz, since it's DDR4 3200 - is that correct, or am I seeing a metric for something else?
I have the memory in the slots recommended in the manual (and in fact will have 4 identical 8GB modules installed later today).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

sarcastx posted:

3). Speaking of HWINFO/CPU-Z, it's reporting that the DRAM Frequency is 1197.7MHz, which- well, I'd expect that to say 3200MHz, since it's DDR4 3200 - is that correct, or am I seeing a metric for something else?
I have the memory in the slots recommended in the manual (and in fact will have 4 identical 8GB modules installed later today).
It'll default to a slow speed until you enable XMP/DOCP in BIOS. The clock speed shown is half the advertised number for DDR4 so it should say 1600 MHz for 3200 RAM.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You don't need GeForce Experience for most things (I'm not using it so I can't tell you what you're missing) but the control panel is a different thing, Windows 10 drivers are now distributed in a form that requires additional control panel apps from the Microsoft Store.

The reported RAM clocks are half the memory's speed so you should be seeing something close to 1600 MHz (minor differences would be fine, eg. something like 1596.4 MHz). Your memory is running at 1200 MHz ie. DDR4-2400 (a safe default value for DDR4-RAM) however, which means have to turn on XMP/A-XMP/DOCP in your BIOS.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

When installing a brand new CPU with a fresh out of box cooler, do you need to do any solvent cleaning of the surfaces before putting them together?
What’s the best thermal compound right now? Is it still AS5? Should you use whatever compound comes with your aftermarket cooler?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Thoughts? Mostly for office and some gaming. Will eventually be moving to a dual monitor setup, so any help there would be appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sWJRMc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card ($238.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $901.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 12:29 EDT-0400

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cage-free egghead posted:

Taking a look at getting a PC somehow. What's the second hand market like for Ryzen 5 and 7s? Are the first generation ones pretty much obsolete for the money now?

I wouldn't mind building one myself, but it seems that 2nd gen systems are going for some decent prices on ebay.

First gen aren't at all obsolete, I'm still using a 1600X and it's fine. But for used you should calibrate your prices around the 1600AF* selling for $85 new, so I'd want deals in the $50 range.
*and the 1600AF isn't even first gen, it's 2nd gen with a 1st gen name

Joda posted:

I got my parts today, and started building the machine. I tried to remove the heatsink to resocket it because the screws wouldn't hit the threads and I'd used too much thermal paste so the CPU got ripped out of its socket while in the locked position :eek:. Luckily everything works but that was a scare.

For future reference it helps to give a heatsink a bit of twist action before pulling it off to break the adhesion.

Kraftwerk posted:

When installing a brand new CPU with a fresh out of box cooler, do you need to do any solvent cleaning of the surfaces before putting them together?
What’s the best thermal compound right now? Is it still AS5? Should you use whatever compound comes with your aftermarket cooler?

Out of the box it shouldn't need any cleaning unless you see visible schmutz on it.

Use whatever came with the heatsink, special thermal compounds don't have performance differences worth any extra effort. If you need to get more AS5 is still fine, the newer versions like arctic MX and other brands are a bit more liquid / goopy. I think the newer ones spread more easily with just a glob and mashing down the heatsink.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Klyith posted:

First gen aren't at all obsolete, I'm still using a 1600X and it's fine. But for used you should calibrate your prices around the 1600AF* selling for $85 new, so I'd want deals in the $50 range.
*and the 1600AF isn't even first gen, it's 2nd gen with a 1st gen name

I did see that AF version and dug into it more, that's pretty slick.

Here's something I found for $750 that piqued my interest after some digging:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Des...ReikBa&LH_BIN=1

-AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF CPU (new)
-MSI B450 Chipset Bazooka V2 Mainboard (new)
-PNY GTX 1070 XLR8 OC 8GB Graphics Card (refurb)
-Seasonic 620W power supply (new)
-SBX 240GB NVME SSD (new)
-Toshiba 1TB HDD (new)
-16GB Oloy 3000MHz DDR4 RAM (new)
-DeepCool Blue LED CPU Cooler (new)
-6x 120mm Blue LED fans (new)
-New Cougar tempered glass side panel case with stainless steel front panel

I've got some hard drives, an SSD, and a m2 ssd somewhere that I can reuse, but the 1070 is like half of the cost of this build. Thoughts?

Here is one I put together based on some general recommendations:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($85.00)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.95 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $599.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 13:17 EDT-0400

That would leave some money left over for a new monitor, I'd like to venture above a 1080p screen but don't really care about 4k gaming or anything like that.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 10, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Your second PC is basically performance-identical with the ebay one, would still be cheaper if you added the storage, and your case is way better. Plus fresh warranties. This is why I generally find buying used PC stuff worthless unless it's on SA-mart, ebay is just flooded with non-deals.

Get a better PSU though, the EVGA brand name doesn't do much for that one. The corsair CX 450 or 550 are what I generally point to for budget PSUs. The 450 only has 1 PCIe power plug, which would work with your 1660 but may limit future upgrades.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Used 1070s are $200 so I'm not sure how you got that as half the value of the first machine.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Klyith posted:

Your second PC is basically performance-identical with the ebay one, would still be cheaper if you added the storage, and your case is way better. Plus fresh warranties. This is why I generally find buying used PC stuff worthless unless it's on SA-mart, ebay is just flooded with non-deals.

Get a better PSU though, the EVGA brand name doesn't do much for that one. The corsair CX 450 or 550 are what I generally point to for budget PSUs. The 450 only has 1 PCIe power plug, which would work with your 1660 but may limit future upgrades.

Cool, appreciate the advice! I thought the CX series ones were frowned upon, or is that concern long gone? I remember years ago it was goon disapproved.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Used 1070s are $200 so I'm not sure how you got that as half the value of the first machine.

I based it off of new ones, which I realized after I posted.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cage-free egghead posted:

Cool, appreciate the advice! I thought the CX series ones were frowned upon, or is that concern long gone? I remember years ago it was goon disapproved.

That might be the CV you're thinking of? Which would not be recommended.

And the CX is specifically the non-modular version, which has different (better) guts than the modular CXM.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The CX/CXM were frowned upon back when they still had the green label but the grey label ones are a new platform.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
so if I have an 8600k and want to upgrade soon would getting a 9900k be worth it? or should I just dump the motherboard and jump on the AMD train. I've been told my CPU will be useless for games in the next year to two due to the lack of hyper threading and want to get out ahead of that, and maybe give my 8600k to my bored nephew.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

hatty posted:

so if I have an 8600k and want to upgrade soon would getting a 9900k be worth it? or should I just dump the motherboard and jump on the AMD train. I've been told my CPU will be useless for games in the next year to two due to the lack of hyper threading and want to get out ahead of that, and maybe give my 8600k to my bored nephew.

It's definitely not worth it to buy a cpu now for games in the future, especially not games that are more than a year out. We don't really know what the cpu requirements will look like on PC, nor what will be acceptable single-core or multi-core performance. We'll have 10th-gen Intel processors (on a new motherboard) and 4th-gen Ryzen by then and third-gen Ryzen will probably be on firesale. If you're bored nephew has a 60Hz monitor, just pick him up a 1600AF + MSi B450-A Pro or Asrock B450 Pro4 for not much more than the price of a Z370/90 board to run your 8600k.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
okay I'll just wait longer, thanks!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Sadly, the PC I built six years ago in college and sporadically upgraded since has hit the point where I desperately need to upgrade my CPU, which also means upgrading the motherboard, which means it's basically time to scrap most of it and start over. Of the parts I've got, I've most recently replaced the graphics card and the storage drives, so I'm not planning to replace those immediately (unless they're secretly huge bottlenecks and I haven't noticed). My use case is occasional current-gen AAA gaming and frequent CPU-intensive map-painting gaming in 1080p. I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade my monitors, but might want to in a year or so.

What I've got right now is this, with the parts I plan on keeping for now noted:

My current build posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3 GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
***Storage: Western Digital Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
***Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
***Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 17:53 EDT-0400

I've shamelessly taken all of the basic recommendations in MikeC's post, which gives me this:

What I'm looking at posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $532.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 17:58 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker isn't flashing any compatibility warnings at me, which I think means everything will fit together; am I being a bonehead for keeping my not-ancient parts for the moment/will this work ok for a while until I can upgrade those too?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quorum posted:

Sadly, the PC I built six years ago in college and sporadically upgraded since has hit the point where I desperately need to upgrade my CPU, which also means upgrading the motherboard, which means it's basically time to scrap most of it and start over. Of the parts I've got, I've most recently replaced the graphics card and the storage drives, so I'm not planning to replace those immediately (unless they're secretly huge bottlenecks and I haven't noticed). My use case is occasional current-gen AAA gaming and frequent CPU-intensive map-painting gaming in 1080p. I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade my monitors, but might want to in a year or so.

What I've got right now is this, with the parts I plan on keeping for now noted:

I've shamelessly taken all of the basic recommendations in MikeC's post, which gives me this:

PCPartPicker isn't flashing any compatibility warnings at me, which I think means everything will fit together; am I being a bonehead for keeping my not-ancient parts for the moment/will this work ok for a while until I can upgrade those too?

The 1060 is gonna have to get switched out soon-ish but it’s not urgent.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Quorum posted:

Get the 1600AF which is essentially identical to the 2600 and will save you ~$35.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28

The 1060 is pretty brutal considering its only the 3GB model... but yea.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Get the 1600AF which is essentially identical to the 2600 and will save you ~$35.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28

The 1060 is pretty brutal considering its only the 3GB model... but yea.

Yeah, that's next on the list. :shepspends: I can limp along another few months to a year, though, so it gets a stay of execution.

e: also good suggestion on the processor, thanks!

Quorum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 11, 2020

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Hey Goons, I'm in Ireland, the system is for gaming (the work stuff can be easily done within the current system) I can spend like 2k tops but I'd rather not push the outer limits of that unnecessarily.

The existing system is to the best of my recollection

GPU :1070 ti
CPU: i7 8700k
Ram: 16 gigs ddr4 at 2400 mhz
Board: I forget what this is offhand. It cost around a 100 euro 2-3 years ago. Its an msi thing.
Monitor: BenQ XL series XL2411Z
PSU: Forget what this is but I think it had a silver medal and is like 2 years old. 650 watts. It also came with a comical amount of extra cables so i should be able to plug into whatever
Storage: 2 ssds at 250 gigs and a terrabyte hdd, the games and os are on the ssds and the hdd is mostly films and music
Case: I can't remember the model but it fits like 8 fans.

The I can't remember stuff is because I'm not at home and am trapped out in the countryside on my toaster laptop. Covid 19 travel restrictions are not fun. I should be back in a week or two and it would be nice to pick this stuff up and just install it

I want to upgrade the monitor. The colors aren't great on the benq but I really appreciate the 1ms response time and the 144hz. I'd like to get those qualities with better color. Nothing makes a game look better to me than a high fps at a high refresh rate but if I could get that with nicer looks I'd like that

I'm going to buy another 16 gigs of ram at a higher mhz. That seems pretty affordable.

The gpu I kind of want to upgrade. I can afford to and I'm aware that a new gen is coming but at some point instead of 6 months due to everyone's favorite virus. I was thinking of buying a rtx 2070 super. The one above that in the ratings doesn't seem worth it but for all I know the 1070 is fine

I want to leave the cpu alone, it should be fine. Consequently I also want to leave the board alone.

What I want is very high fps and looks a second to that but I think a monitor change would do a lot there. I'd happily spring for a gpu that isn't 1.2k euro. I'd go for it if it wasn't definitely going to be superseded in like a year, year and a half

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 11, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Is the Asus ROG line of motherboards and video cards considered the “best” now? I’ve always been getting them since Skylake and I’m not sure if I’m missing anything from EVGA, gigabyte, msi and so on. Thoughts? Am I just falling for marketing?

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Is there any downside to buying internal cables via Aliexpress, other than the shipping time that is? I have a bunch that are either too long or too short for neat cable runs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Joda posted:

I was scared shitless of that happening when I was swapping my 2700X for a new 3800X. A lot of wiggling and a plastic knife helped break the seal between the heatsink and cpu. Turns out I did a pretty good job on the old chip's thermal paste spread.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

Is the Asus ROG line of motherboards and video cards considered the “best” now? I’ve always been getting them since Skylake and I’m not sure if I’m missing anything from EVGA, gigabyte, msi and so on. Thoughts? Am I just falling for marketing?

No, the ROG label is not a universal sign of quality. Sometimes it just means they stuck extra RGB and bling on it. For example, the differences between this and this are purely cosmetic, and then the ROG version adds some more features but keeps the same poor VRM. (Asus's B450 boards were unusually bad for them, but the point is they're not above charging you $20 for 50 cents of RGB leds and plastic shrouds with the ROG name.)

But you're also probably falling for marketing in general with the idea that the best motherboards get you any sort of value for the money they cost. What do you actually need? Are you doing extreme overclocking like the guys you see on youtube? Then you probably don't need a $400 EVGA Dark or Asus Hero mobo.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Mostly I just need a way to measure the actual quality of motherboards. I don’t actually care that much about the coloured LEDs. I just want 2 M2 slots, a user friendly bios interface, the ability to overclock without much hassle and to have plenty of room for stuff like fan headers etc. I also want the board to be reliable and durable so it can deal with the weight of stuff like the dark rock pro.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

Mostly I just need a way to measure the actual quality of motherboards. I don’t actually care that much about the coloured LEDs. I just want 2 M2 slots, a user friendly bios interface, the ability to overclock without much hassle and to have plenty of room for stuff like fan headers etc.
Are you looking at AMD CPUs? For AMD motherboards, there's a good spreadsheet of VRM quality to consult. VRM is often overblown as a "need", but if you're overclocking it makes a difference. And it's the thing that has the biggest spread in quality from worst to best.

quote:

I also want the board to be reliable and durable so it can deal with the weight of stuff like the dark rock pro.

That's all boards, they're made of glass fiber and resin. No mobo can't deal with even the heaviest cooler, unless you drop it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Klyith posted:

Are you looking at AMD CPUs? For AMD motherboards, there's a good spreadsheet of VRM quality to consult. VRM is often overblown as a "need", but if you're overclocking it makes a difference. And it's the thing that has the biggest spread in quality from worst to best.

That's all boards, they're made of glass fiber and resin. No mobo can't deal with even the heaviest cooler, unless you drop it or something.

Just what the doctor ordered. Thank you!