Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Grim pictures on the BBC of the new York mass grave burials. But then in the text they say that's pretty much just normal and they've been doing it for 150 years, the only difference is they're now using paid employees rather than slave labour from rikers Island so I dunno wtf really?

The quantity of bodies definitely isn't normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Grim pictures on the BBC of the new York mass grave burials. But then in the text they say that's pretty much just normal and they've been doing it for 150 years, the only difference is they're now using paid employees rather than slave labour from rikers Island so I dunno wtf really?

Someone else itt mentioned that it was just a normal Potter's field sort of mass burial.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

First white-nose syndrome and now COVID-19, poor U.S. bats can't catch a break.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Does that gold spike go up your butt? Is that how it disperses the healing to your body?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
So posting this here too just so any southern/Appalachia and east coast people see it. Potential for some of the most severe weather since the derecho Sunday night into Monday morning. First in the south with tornado threats then maybe impacting the coast with high winds from South Carolina to New York potential for 90mph gusts locally if conditions are right. Looks like the worst spot could be around Richmond VA but a lot can change in two days. Make sure your freezers are turned up all the way and get laundry done this weekend it could be a sec before some people get their power back. Hopefully wont be a big deal but the euro model is pretty good this close to an event.

The video starts off annoying but its good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmk8XWXvsYM

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lil Peeler posted:

Does that gold spike go up your butt? Is that how it disperses the healing to your body?

It's clearly a lead for nipple clamps.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

If Tennessee, or anywhere else, reopens early the people hit hardest will be workers who's employers have been assholes over this all along. They'll be forced to stop isolating and then we'll see the same sort of differential outcome for them as we see for "essential workers" in places like New York:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/10/new-york-coronavirus-inequality-divide-two-cities

quote:

“Coronavirus has exposed New York’s two societies,” Jumaane Williams, the public advocate who acts as the official watchdog for New Yorkers, told the Guardian. “One society was able to run away to the Hamptons or work from home and have food delivered to their door; the other society was deemed ‘essential workers’ and made to go out to work with no protection.”

Different boroughs, even different neighborhoods within each borough, are experiencing coronavirus almost as though it were two different contagions. In wealthier white areas the residential streets are empty; parking spots that are fought over in normal times now stand vacant following an exodus to out-of-town weekend homes or Airbnbs.

In places like the Bronx – which is 84% black, Latino or mixed race – the sidewalks are still bustling with people making their way into work. There is still a rush hour. “We used to call them ‘service workers’,” Williams said. “Now they are ‘essential workers’ and we have left them to fend for themselves.”

The public advocate pointed out that 79% of New York’s frontline workers – nurses, subway staff, sanitation workers, van drivers, grocery cashiers – are African American or Latino.

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I hope everybody is staying sane and happy! Every shitpost lightens my day a little bit so thank you. I've had CNN and a Toronto 24 hr news channel playing in the background when I'm working and loving around in the house during the day and I am fascinated with the commentators and "special guests" that are broadcasting from their home offices. 98% of them are positioned in front of a bookshelf carefully curated to obscure The Cat in the Hat and their vintage issues of Hustler . But I have to give a special shoutout to Bloomberg's Paige Ellis who apparently lives in Wayne Mansion because she has giant floor to ceiling bookcases and a full suit of armor on display in her home office. Its also possible she lives in a unabomber style shack and snuck her laptop into Casa Loma.

On an unrelated note I was reading an article about the human rights implications of Covid and the author's name was "Rim-Sarah Alouane". I like to think I'm pretty worldly but I was completely unaware that Rim was a viable name. It means "White Antelope" in Arabic. I know at least a few goon pregnancies will result from this lockdown so feel free to consider the name Rim if you have a girl. Happy Easter!

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Lol now Fauci is saying the deaths are gonna be in line with a bad flu season. Where are they getting these numbers from?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-lowers-u-coronavirus-death-171213765.html

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I wonder if I can get my money back from dine dating app.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Lol now Fauci is saying the deaths are gonna be in line with a bad flu season. Where are they getting these numbers from?

The article you linked stresses that the numbers being pushed for the low count are if the US maintains social distancing measures the same as or equivalent to what China had in place - which is not something I'd expect.
Those totals are "through August", it doesn't state how long the US would need to maintain social distancing regulations to meet those estimates. If it's indeed, "through August" as well, then I definitely don't see that being the case either in the practice being maintained or those numbers being met.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Frank Sidebottom posted:

The official, testing verified, count might end up around there if the lockdowns are solid and maintained. That is literally what the model the number he quotes is based on and in that regard is a good number.

The only issue is that the lockdowns have been a shitshow and everyone seems to want to use that low number to stop maintaining the lockdowns so...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well, to play devil's advocate, I dunno if you can say "the lockdowns have been a shitshow" in one breath while saying the numbers are objectively a good thing as a result of them should they be kept up, in another.

I agree that they most likely WON'T be kept up and it's because people will see the numbers going down, but they ARE apparently working and the numbers are down as a result.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
No one can predict the future. The models were very rough estimates and their role was to persuade people to stay home, not predict what would happen. But it's safe to say that had we not persuaded people to social distance, more people would have died. We'll never how many more people would have died had we done nothing, but it's safe to say it would have been higher in the short term ... now the longterm consequence of a Depression may result in more deaths overall, but that's a lot harder estimate and any models people try to put forward to predict that are total bullshit.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I think a lot of people are going to move out cities as a result of this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gianthogweed posted:

The models were very rough estimates and their role was to persuade people to stay home, not predict what would happen.

Source?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
They aren't working overall, they're just working in the hardest hit areas where they're being implemented. Red states won't abide a lockdown the same way New York is, so the spread there will continue unchecked. Florida in particular is playing fast and loose with the lockdowns, and our massive elderly population means we could have 60k deaths In this state alone by August, especially considering that the Governor considers all religious services to be essential.

Anyone who thinks we're not hitting six figures in deaths in the US isn't paying attention.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Well, to play devil's advocate, I dunno if you can say "the lockdowns have been a shitshow" in one breath while saying the numbers are objectively a good thing as a result of them should they be kept up, in another.

I agree that they most likely WON'T be kept up and it's because people will see the numbers going down, but they ARE apparently working and the numbers are down as a result.

Yeah, "shitshow" was too strong a word. The shitshow has been more around their slow roll-out and the mixed messages and guidance people have been getting about who should isolate and how to isolate,

The lockdowns themselves have been a qualified success. There are still far too many "essential workers" who aren't being adequately protected. The Guardian article I posted earlier calls this out.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/10/new-york-coronavirus-inequality-divide-two-cities

It's going to take ages to get community infections down to a level where we can go out of lockdown without a great risk of an immediate round 2. The looser the lockdown, the higher the remaining R factor, the longer it will take.

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 10, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It certainly could have been worse, but my god could it have been better in many parts of the world whose government already should know better.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Plastik posted:

They aren't working overall, they're just working in the hardest hit areas where they're being implemented. Red states won't abide a lockdown the same way New York is, so the spread there will continue unchecked. Florida in particular is playing fast and loose with the lockdowns, and our massive elderly population means we could have 60k deaths In this state alone by August, especially considering that the Governor considers all religious services to be essential.

Anyone who thinks we're not hitting six figures in deaths in the US isn't paying attention.

According to the article, data from Florida itself was used in determining these new predictions. I dunno what else to say. I'm not saying the article is spot on or a realistic expectation, necessarily.

What the UW Washington, and Fauci are stating as a result of that data and others is that they won't if current standards are maintain and that your statement is wrong.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it sounds like we should all welcome our new annual plague, give it a kiss please

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

So posting this here too just so any southern/Appalachia and east coast people see it. Potential for some of the most severe weather since the derecho Sunday night into Monday morning. First in the south with tornado threats then maybe impacting the coast with high winds from South Carolina to New York potential for 90mph gusts locally if conditions are right. Looks like the worst spot could be around Richmond VA but a lot can change in two days. Make sure your freezers are turned up all the way and get laundry done this weekend it could be a sec before some people get their power back. Hopefully wont be a big deal but the euro model is pretty good this close to an event.

The video starts off annoying but its good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmk8XWXvsYM

ha, well gently caress. I'm upstate NY thankfully but I've got family dotted all up the coast. RIP us

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

As a player of Plague Inc. I am not surprised by Greenland's resilience.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Plastik posted:

TIL Dr. Fauci, the researchers at UW, ect. "aren't paying attention"

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

The models themselves. They weren't accurate, as are all future prediction models that are large scale and involve a lot variables that we can't account for. They can be directionally accurate. But they are used primarily to persuade, not to predict.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

Someone else itt mentioned that it was just a normal Potter's field sort of mass burial.

Yeah, it's the normal way they bury unclaimed remains, but the bit I missed was the number of bodies pouring in.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Do you see if they did it in person, or online?

I've been doing my shopping online and those store credit cards keep popping up just while browsing the online store.

That's a fair question, these are cards applied for physically from inside the store they are for. They usually offer some kind of coupon or rebate at the POS for applying. I won't use any names, but it is from a wide array of stores, the kind of crap usually in malls, and from every state in the USA.

Here's another tidbit, the records where the customer speaks primarily Spanish are tagged, and the Spanish tagged cards don't seem to be declining at nearly the same rate. You can't draw any real conclusion from that, but it makes me wonder if the communities that don't speak English are being kept as informed as everyone else is.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Ultraklystron posted:

By soon do you mean now? Because it's now:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74ap9/you-can-see-new-york-citys-mass-graves-from-space

Tl;dr: NYC's burial site on Hart Island has already jumped from 2 dozen unclaimed bodies a week to 2 dozen per day, 5 days a week. That's why they're already considering "temporary" internment in city parks.

Such clickbaitey bullshit. You can see the graves FROM SPACE! I can see my grill from space too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
given the continuing limitations in testing capacity i wonder how confident anybody can be in forecasting for the US right now. not that i'm hoping for more death but it seems irresponsible to actually announce 'well things are looking good now!' when that itself can change people's behavior and result in more cases. better to remain pessimistic until we really have poo poo totally under control nationwide, i would think

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Burt Sexual posted:

I’d like to know the process of recovering one of those mass grave bodies. How do they know which spot? How do they know it’s really their relatives?

Like was mentioned, they put the names on the coffins for easy identification, but I'm guessing while they are burying the coffins they also have a diagram that says, "John Doe, 35th from end, 2nd coffin down right under Jane Doe, ~140 from beginning marker". If they need to exhume a body they go to the starting marker, measure out 140', dig down, find Jane Doe's coffin, then remove it and take out john doe's. Note it in their log, and rebury that patch. At least that's how I would do it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If it's comparable to a bad flu season, are there examples of times where thousands of people dropped dead from flu on the daily in NY?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gianthogweed posted:

The models themselves. They weren't accurate, as are all future prediction models that are large scale and involve a lot variables that we can't account for. They can be directionally accurate. But they are used primarily to persuade, not to predict.

The models themselves say they weren’t intended to be accurate and were intentionally false in order to persuade people?

Could you let us know your background in statistics and modeling that allows you to say this?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it ok to go over to another house as long as you respect the 6ft rule because that's what my jewish coworker did for passover. I guess we'll see a spike of passover and easter infections.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it ok to go over to another house as long as you respect the 6ft rule because that's what my jewish coworker did for passover. I guess we'll see a spike of passover and easter infections.

This is a terrible idea. If the homeowner is infected, then basically every surface in their house will probably be contaminated too.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

The models themselves say they weren’t intended to be accurate and were intentionally false in order to persuade people?

Who said anything about intentionally false? They probably did the best they could to get an accurate picture. But the fact remains you can't predict the future. Like I said before, the models were directionally accurate, so if we didn't practice any social distancing more people would have died. That's evidenced by the fact that areas with low population density weren't as badly hit. But there's no way to know how many more. There's too many variables. The best we can do is come up with very rough estimates. And that's what the models are: very rough estimates. And they wanted to present it in a way that was persuasive because they believed they were directionally accurate.

quote:

Could you let us know your background in statistics and modeling that allows you to say this?

I used to be an economics teacher and statistics is a big part of economic predictions. But you don't have to have a strong background in statistics to figure this out. It's common sense. If people could create models that could accurately predict the future, there would be trillionaires walking around your local neighborhood and no one would make any bad investments. The models that are accurate tend to be smaller scale and involve a lot less unknown variables.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 10, 2020

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I realised I'm just waiting for someone I know to get really sick from this and the slightest sign any of my friends might have covid sends me into a panic spiral

statistically they will probably be fine but my brain isn't paying attention to that bit

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gianthogweed posted:

I used to be an economics teacher and statistics is a big part of economic predictions. But you don't have to have a strong background in statistics to figure this out. It's common sense. If people could create models that could accurately predict the future, there would be trillionaires walking around your local neighborhood and no one would make any bad investments. The models that are accurate tend to be smaller scale and involve a lot less unknown variables.

Do we have any Psychohistory majors in the thread?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

I either have mild roni or I caught the strangest chest cold of my life. startling maybe 5 days ago I was having chest pain and pressure, and I kept feeling like I was going to cough, but I never did. had fever intermittently. It was getting tough to breathe a few nights ago but it’s fine now. I started coughing yesterday and am still coughing now. what’s weird about it is aside from headache and general feeling tired and lovely, there’s nothing else that you usually get with a cold - no congestion or drippy nose, no sore throat. I’ve also never had any illness that gave me that “I need to cough” feeling for days with no actual cough. well I guess I had the weird symptom of my eyes ached? It was strange. really hoping this doesn’t take a turn for the worse but I think the really bad cases got really bad by 5 days in? and maybe I don’t even have the roni I just coincidentally got a chest cold that doesn’t act like any chest cold I’ve ever had in my life (a novel chest cold, if you will?) If I’m past the worst of it, then it wasn’t too terrible. The real head trip is knowing that it’s possible that being around me could be deadly for other people. what the gently caress. like the worst superpower.

Actually this is exactly what is happening to me.

I guess keep us updated since you are a couple days ahead of me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If people could predict the future no one would be trillionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Big Beef City posted:

According to the article, data from Florida itself was used in determining these new predictions. I dunno what else to say. I'm not saying the article is spot on or a realistic expectation, necessarily.

What the UW Washington, and Fauci are stating as a result of that data and others is that they won't if current standards are maintain and that your statement is wrong.

Corona has barely penetrated Orlando in comparison to South Florida, and as an Orlando resident I can say pretty conclusively that people are getting stir-crazy and relaxing their adherence to the quarantine already with less than 1% of our metro area having been confirmed positive.

We can't keep this up forever, and the longer it drags out the less people will adhere to the guidelines. I've got a job that puts me on I-4 regularly (but I work in total isolation) and the number of cars is rising by the day. A week ago it was all trucks, now it's more and more cars through downtown. There was actual traffic yesterday, like real, actual stopped traffic on I-4.

Bury your head in the sand by all means, but there's no way we're getting out of this with 60k American deaths. Just lol.