Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Star Platinum posted:

It'll be interesting to see how severe the backlash is gonna be, but they're actually being kinda smart with the potential derailing of the story. If the sales for the second part reflect a poor reception for this type of remake, they can pretty much wrap it up in the third one.

My guess is we'll see a big online movement to boycott the rest of the remake (and maybe Square-Enix as a whole) with plenty of mad nerds led by the usual YouTube suspects pledging never to buy a Square-Enix game again. Then previews for part 2 will show beautiful open world segments and glimpses of beloved scenes, locations, and characters, really tug on the nostalgia heartstrings, and then most of the people who pledged to boycott will buy it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i dont really care if nerds get mad and idk why people'd speculate on the hypothetical actions of mad nerds

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I'm weirdly glad I spoiled myself on this because I think if I hadn't I'd be really annoyed at how much Sephiroth shows up early on in the Remake. He's just loving everywhere and I think if I didn't know what's coming I'd be really annoyed at how much they're leaning on the Cloud/Sephiroth relationship and conflict in a part of the story where Sephiroth doesn't even appear in the original.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

My guess is we'll see a big online movement to boycott the rest of the remake (and maybe Square-Enix as a whole) with plenty of mad nerds led by the usual YouTube suspects pledging never to buy a Square-Enix game again. Then previews for part 2 will show beautiful open world segments and glimpses of beloved scenes, locations, and characters, really tug on the nostalgia heartstrings, and then most of the people who pledged to boycott will buy it anyway.

"Big online movement"

Gamer boycotts never work. Everyone complaining will buy every part as it comes out, even if they're spamming metacritic with 0 star reviews.

For example

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

Here's a handy guide to tell if there will be mad nerds somewhere

Is (thing) a piece of media? If yes then because of how vast the internet is somebody, somewhere, will be mad about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

"Big online movement"

Gamer boycotts never work. Everyone complaining will buy every part as it comes out, even if they're spamming metacritic with 0 star reviews.

For example

Well yeah, that's exactly what I posted? There'll be a loud clamor to boycott from the usual corner of nerdrage internet that will end up amounting to nothing.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Srice posted:

Here's a handy guide to tell if there will be mad nerds somewhere

Is (thing) a piece of media? If yes then because of how vast the internet is somebody, somewhere, will be mad about it.

Pretty sure it's a given that yes, some people are gonna be mad, the question is just the scale of the outrage. I'm personally hoping and leaning toward the most angry people just being an extremely vocal minority and that most people will enjoy the game for what it is. Most of the anger directed at it will likely be from purist fans for whom a 1:1 remake was the only thing that would satisfy and I honestly don't know that those people are going to represent a majority of FF7 fans coming to play this.

I still don't get the outrage personally, I've played ff7 dozens of times over the years, I'm excited to see all the new stuff myself. Yes the compilation games weren't exactly great, which is why I know most people are put off by the idea of them messing with the original in any way, but the original isn't going anywhere either. I'm not done playing this game yet, I'm most of the way there an so far I've loved every minute of it. It's like playing ff7 for the first time all over again because it's keeping me guessing as to whats going to happen next, which was a feeling I never thought I'd ever have again. For that reason alone, even if they do go full stupid later, I'd say this remake is great success. They'd have to entirely poo poo the bed real hard in the last two hours for me to be disappointed with it overall.

Hoping the nerd rage is just people crapping themselves over seeing spoilers early that don't have the game and that most people actually playing it enjoy it. I want this to do well so that someday it gets finished, I am psyched for part 2 If they can keep up this level of quality.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really I think it's all down to nostalgia, isn't it? Nerdrage over FFVII Remake is going to come from the same feelings that cause people to rage about Star Wars movies. They want the thing to be exactly as they expect because their nostalgia for the old version is powerful, and they expect that the new version will let them experience that thing they already love for the first time all over again. If the new thing is different than they remember--especially if it is consciously different like FFVII Remake and Star Wars: The Last Jedi--the nostalgia children lose their goddamn minds.

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of, like, anything what those nerd fans think, but there'll be plenty of ~*~Discourse~*~ about it either way.

I think why I find the potential reactions so interesting is just how many different audiences FFVII Remake is being anticipated by and played by. You've got your FFVII fanboys who will accept nothing other than a 1:1 remake, your superfans who love everything FFVII (even Dirge of Cerberus!) who'd probably love this no matter what, the people who played the game once as children and might not even be able to tell the difference between "this is new" and "huh I forgot this part," the occasional person who really paid attention to the original and actually clearly remember the story, themes, and characters, people playing for the very first time, etc. It's going to be kinda cool to see how differently all those groups feel about this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean there's a lot of criticisms you can make of Square as a company but they're pretty averse to giving up on stuff. Tons of companies would have cut their losses on FF14 and FF15.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SE did eventually cut their loses on FFXV to the point that the director that salvaged the mess quit, further limiting SEs pool of proper managers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXV never really rose from its ashes like FFXIV did, so it makes sense that eventually they'd have to let go of their remaining plans for it if they're just not paying off. Both games got big second chances (FFXIV's was even bigger) and it really paid off for one of them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of other FF games, I'm suddenly kinda idly wishing for a remake of Final Fantasy IX. Nothing huge and lavish like this--it wouldn't be right for FFIX--but something that takes some cues from Bravely Default's aesthetic, with the pop-up book, hand-painted looking environments and things like that. Man that'd be cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SE did eventually cut their loses on FFXV to the point that the director that salvaged the mess quit, further limiting SEs pool of proper managers.

that's more 'cancelling a few DLC plans' not 'just canning the entire game.'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

I mean there's a lot of criticisms you can make of Square as a company but they're pretty averse to giving up on stuff. Tons of companies would have cut their losses on FF14 and FF15.

There are still some who believe the cancelled FF15 DLCs are a result of the game underperforming, and not the actual, way more boring answer (Tabata leaving the project he'd been assigned to, to go form his own studio, put a nix on the money invested in that project, which needed to be covered in the fiscals, and it basically could be written off by not doing the DLCs) Generally things have way more boring answers than people would like to believe.

FAKE EDIT: Oh man I forgot to hit post so Cao absolutely proved my point!

Also to clarify some other points. Tabata did not leave over XV, he was officially done with that project pretty much once it was out. He was moved to his own separate project in Square. The offer to do an RPG with the Paralympics and strike out on his own, were actually way more meaningful for his decision to leave rather than 'A project he successfully made profitable didn't get the greatest critical reception'

I mean gently caress he's the creative mind behind The 3rd Birthday, if that didn't have him retiring in shame I doubt XV would.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 10, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wow IGN already uploaded a video about the ending. Gotta get those clicks I guess

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
After playing around 6 hours, my biggest gripe and what really takes me out of the game is when Cloud doesn't want to gently caress even a little bit. Let Cloud gently caress, Square

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mechafunkzilla posted:

After playing around 6 hours, my biggest gripe and what really takes me out of the game is when Cloud doesn't want to gently caress even a little bit. Let Cloud gently caress, Square

“Let’s mosey” deadpans Cloud, as he plows Jessie

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wow IGN already uploaded a video about the ending. Gotta get those clicks I guess

unlike this thread which has maintained a respectful, reverent silence and hasn’t said a single word about the ending

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

unlike this thread which has maintained a respectful, reverent silence and hasn’t said a single word about the ending

IGN has a lot more reach than this place

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I just watched someone play the Rufus fight and...are they flirting with each other?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Gologle posted:

I just watched someone play the Rufus fight and...are they flirting with each other?

every character in this game is flirting with each other at all times. everyone wants to gently caress.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gologle posted:

It loving rules

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Aye Doc posted:

every character in this game is flirting with each other at all times. everyone wants to gently caress.

It's simultaneously the horniest and most asexual game I've ever seen. Wild stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Yes. Cloud and Rufus is basically them going on a date via fighting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In fairness who wouldn't want to gently caress Rufus.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Harrow posted:

Also unrelated but this game is extremely horny lol

edit: should have hit refresh first aparently

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 10, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My main concern with part 2 is that any valid criticism the game could have (tone down the excessive foreshadowing even if the plan is to end up doing something different; tone down the anime by a few notches) will be drowned and dismissed by the incessant crying of FF7 purists

I'm currently watching Zero's stream of the game and as soon as Cloud starts having his Sephiroth-TV visions right after the first reactor the chat exploded with "OMG THIS IS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED IN THE ORIGINAL! BURN DOWN SQUEENIX!" like come on, that addition works perfectly to hook up new players by creating a mystery that didn't pop in till like 10 hours in in the original game and hinting at Cloud not being all that well in the brain.

I will accept Sephiroth-TV pops up waaaay too often throughout the game, but in that particular part it's perfectly fine.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think there is something to be said for liking the subtlty of a name coming up a few times, then suddenly an open jail cell, a trail of blood and the sword in the back of the presumed main antagonist to introduce a mysterious villain who has a past with our protagonist 1/5th of the way through

over "HEY WE'RE RIVALS, REMEMBER WHEN I KILLED YOUR MOM?" an hour in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I think there is something to be said for liking the subtlty of a name coming up a few times, then suddenly an open jail cell, a trail of blood and the sword in the back of the presumed main antagonist to introduce a mysterious villain who has a past with our protagonist 1/5th of the way through

over "HEY WE'RE RIVALS, REMEMBER WHEN I KILLED YOUR MOM?" an hour in.

The problem is that you can't recapture that particular flame. Everyone who is going to play this game knows who Sephiroth is. There is no surprise there. You can't quite recapture that feeling and that's something Remake takes pretty central to heart. It doesn't attempt to hide the secrets it knows its playerbase knows but instead tries to invest them in new ones. It's a debate if it works or not but it's absolutely not a "they don't understand foreshadowing" but a "they know absolutely that people already know this character and his deal." It's telling that a big chunk of the game involves the fate of Wedge of all characters because that is something the player isn't sure about.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

In fairness who wouldn't want to gently caress Rufus.
Yeah Rufus can get it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aye Doc posted:

Mostly people want to gently caress Cloud. Cloud wants to hide quietly in a corner, maybe get a cat not to be an rear end in a top hat to him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oscarthewilde posted:

Yeah it's shocking how willing the spoilers thread for the game is to talk about spoilers...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah Rufus can get it

Turning the big dumb undershirt/lab coat into a skirt was a genius maneuver.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

Speaking of other FF games, I'm suddenly kinda idly wishing for a remake of Final Fantasy IX. Nothing huge and lavish like this--it wouldn't be right for FFIX--but something that takes some cues from Bravely Default's aesthetic, with the pop-up book, hand-painted looking environments and things like that. Man that'd be cool.

Jesus Christ it’s like you read my loving mind. Still though, FfIX without sakaguchi sounds like it could go south pretty easily. We’re talking The After Years bad.

Briefly going back to the potential backlash of FF7r’s ending, it’s prudent to note that a lot of younger fans were first exposed to the franchise through advent children and crisis core, and regard both pieces of media with the same reverence as the 30+ year-old fans who played the original as kids. A lot of those people want and even expect the kind of bullshit that happens in the ending.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's simultaneously the horniest and most asexual game I've ever seen. Wild stuff.

This is the formula that made anime an artform.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't even beat the first hard mode cloud challenge in VR lol. The last guy just instant kills. Think I need to take manaward/reflect.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This game are great.

It threads the needle between nostalgia and novelty in the way that the Star Wars sequels failed to do. Everything is familiar, but also new and, goddamn, I am here for it. Also, hard agree that Cloud needs to get some. What the gently caress, devs? Let him get his bone on fer gently caress sake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PT6A posted:

This game are great.

It threads the needle between nostalgia and novelty in the way that the Star Wars sequels failed to do. Everything is familiar, but also new and, goddamn, I am here for it. Also, hard agree that Cloud needs to get some. What the gently caress, devs? Let him get his bone on fer gently caress sake.

I was very mad at his responses to Jessie just wanting to get laid. Do the right thing you dickhead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s been spoiled and mentioned several times, but actually playing this...I’m absolutely convinced this is a time loop. And Cloud and maybe Aerith are somewhat aware of this subconsciously. The “flower for reunited lovers” in chapter two made it click for me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JBP posted:

I was very mad at his responses to Jessie just wanting to get laid. Do the right thing you dickhead.

Nearly every single person he knows was brutally murdered, then he got hosed up in a death fight with literally the strongest person on the planet, then he got brutally tortured in a hosed up experiment, then he wandered around practically comatose for year, then one of the last people he knows was killed in front of him, and then roughly nine seconds before FFVII begins Tifa snaps him out of delusional rambling at the train station and he invents an entirely new personality and history on the spot.

Give a brother a minute before drowning him in people looking to suck his dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Now that people have played this for presumably 15 hours or more: How is it?

I read there's a lot of filler and going in-depth on some characters and stuff. I like that idea of character expansion. Are there new areas? One thing I loved about FF7 was the materia system and the clever combinations. How is that here? Are you playing 40 hours with poo poo materia? Do you only get some of them? Like I remember you don't have much by the time you left midgar, and in the end there was poo poo like final cut - phoenix summon.

Is there a review maybe that everyone agrees is accurate?