Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
So if I wanna do a quarantine movie night with my quote unquote "normie" friends over the internet, what would be a good program or platform to do that on? The idea would be that I can stream a .avi file from my desktop PC (that for the purposes of this post I definitely own the legal exhibition rights for) and we could all be on a Zoom call and watch it together. It has to be something that someone can figure out who isn't a giant loving internet nerd, but they are all B.Sc students so it's not like they don't know how to use a computer. The screenshare function on Zoom doesn't seem like it has the bitrate or bandwidth or whatever for videos, and obviously you can't stream a movie on twitch. What's a good platform to use for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

So if I wanna do a quarantine movie night with my quote unquote "normie" friends over the internet, what would be a good program or platform to do that on? The idea would be that I can stream a .avi file from my desktop PC (that for the purposes of this post I definitely own the legal exhibition rights for) and we could all be on a Zoom call and watch it together. It has to be something that someone can figure out who isn't a giant loving internet nerd, but they are all B.Sc students so it's not like they don't know how to use a computer. The screenshare function on Zoom doesn't seem like it has the bitrate or bandwidth or whatever for videos, and obviously you can't stream a movie on twitch. What's a good platform to use for that?

Plex and just do a 3-2-1 countdown?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We’ve screenshared with zoom and it works just fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

life is a joke posted:

If someone has two jobs that offer health insurance, could they just take both and file with whichever one covers more? I can find some info if a person has two options for insurance (your plan + your spouses plan, for example), but I'm wondering about 2 policies with the same person on it as the main... person.

Coordination of benefits is something that insurance companies do a lot when someone has multiple coverages. Generally one becomes the primary based on some standard way of determining it that insurance companies all use and the other picks up what’s left. It gets complicated but I dealt with it when my kid was born and she was automatically covered by both mine and my wife’s policies.

If you google coordination of benefits you’ll find lots of info.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

HiroProtagonist posted:

There's an insurance thread too even though the OP is banned you'll probably have a shot asking there if you don't get an answer here.

Cool thanks, worth a try

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

life is a joke posted:

The only way to get out of the first one, outside of open enrollment, is a life event like getting married or whatever, and nothing planned for the future qualifies. I'm just worried that having two of them is against the T&C of most insurances and would invalidate claims from both or something.

Being eligible for another insurance is a qualifying event

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My wife and I have been thinking about dumb teen movies from the early 2000s. Like Scary Movie, The Core, Idle Hands, The Grudge, Loser, even Mean Girls (though that one’s not dumb) stuff like that.

What is the current batch of that genre? Like, what are 14-19-year-olds watching now that they’ll cringe at later but also enjoy as guilty nostalgia pleasures?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Idle Hands is from the 90s.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Idle Hands is from the 90s.

This changes nothing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tuyop posted:

This changes nothing.

I know. Just never thought of it as a product of the 2000s. It seems so much older to me than a lot of those others even though it came out in 99.

I think the answer to your question is going to be various tik toks and memes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The only solution I've found for this exact situation was the mobile app Rave. It can sync+streamn video files to everyone from your Google Drive. I've had some weird issues with it, like once we had a consistent 10+ seconds of lag on our voice chat.

To save you some time, Kast doesn't work either, you can't play audio from a video and voice chat at the same time.

edit: I haven't tried this with Zoom so maybe it is the power and the glory.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Here’s info from the anime sub forum. If you have questions about it someone there could probably help.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781031

quote:

Common Livestreaming Options:
https://synchtu.be/: Synchtube and clones. Can stream videos from hosts like Youtube or Dailymotion and is compatible with any https video link. Can be annoying with ads between videos. Cytube is currently the preferred site since they have the only workaround for Google Drive's new player.
https://rabb.it/: rabb.it. Able to stream content from virtually any web link. You can log into your Crunchyroll, Hulu, Netflix, or whatever with it, and stream using your sub.

Google Drive works with virtually any video container, but it can't play softsubs. To work around this, you either use an already hardsubbed video source (usually as an .mp4) or hardsub the video yourself. The easiest way to do this is to open the video in Handbrake, click on the subtitles tab, and click add track. Then check the burn-in option next to the subtitles and start encoding. Use auto passthru in the audio tab to copy the audio stream if its in a lossy format (e.g., AAC or MP3) or encode to AAC if it's lossless (e.g, FLAC).

quote:

Also for future reference for any newcomers for any google drive videos, cytube requires a userscript, using either tampermonkey or greasemonkey depending on your browser, so if you wanna set that up beforehand, just click here https://cytu.be/r/alsokotori

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

CrazySalamander posted:

Here’s info from the anime sub forum. If you have questions about it someone there could probably help.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781031
Rabb.it hasn't existed for over a year and their technology was bought by Kast.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So... why not just a shared plex library and a phone call?

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
Hey so.. what if we could engineer a super crispy lettuce and grow it into the shape of a taco shell?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

JD-Smith posted:

Hey so.. what if we could engineer a super crispy lettuce and grow it into the shape of a taco shell?

Taco lettuce wraps with regular lettuce work okay already; I don't think it's worth the engineering effort. But I did just learn about bacon taco shells, which sound interesting.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
NVM, figured it out

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
If someone had Covid, and were asyptomatic, could they still die? Like just drop dead? There was an outbreak of people about 50 yards from my apartment. Near a gas station that EVERYONE in this building frequents.

I don’t feel sick but I don’t wanna kill my parents because they always want me to come over to play with my son.

Edit: I guess that’s 2 questions somewhat related.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Robokomodo posted:

If someone had Covid, and were asyptomatic, could they still die? Like just drop dead? There was an outbreak of people about 50 yards from my apartment. Near a gas station that EVERYONE in this building frequents.

I don’t feel sick but I don’t wanna kill my parents because they always want me to come over to play with my son.

Edit: I guess that’s 2 questions somewhat related.

If it's doing something bad enough to your body to kill you, by definition it's not asymptomatic. I think there are some cases of young healthy people going from fine to incapacitated very quickly though?

It's contagious even if asymptomatic though, half of the importance of social distancing is to avoid spreading the virus while you don't know that you have it because you have no symptoms. So yes you should be keeping your distance even from your parents.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

tuyop posted:

My wife and I have been thinking about dumb teen movies from the early 2000s. Like Scary Movie, The Core, Idle Hands, The Grudge, Loser, even Mean Girls (though that one’s not dumb) stuff like that.

What is the current batch of that genre? Like, what are 14-19-year-olds watching now that they’ll cringe at later but also enjoy as guilty nostalgia pleasures?

I don't exactly know because I don't even know anyone in that category, but Booksmart seemed to fit the genre of "send off/parties/existential crisis from graduating high school." It was okay movie; it will probably scratch that itch for you. It was kind of like a modern Superbad, without exactly trying to be.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Ranker says that these were the best teen movies of 2019.

Actual teens known to me personally liked Five Feet Apart, Booksmart, The Tall Girl, and Nala from that list.

One of my teen friends’ favorite movie that doesn’t have superheroes in it is The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ranker says that these were the best teen movies of 2019.

Actual teens known to me personally liked Five Feet Apart, Booksmart, The Tall Girl, and Nala from that list.

One of my teen friends’ favorite movie that doesn’t have superheroes in it is The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Wow, super earnest and romance heavy. Interesting! Thanks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is there any particular reason the BBC, HBO, and two separate Epix channels are all showing James Bond movies today? Multiples in a row on Epix and BBC?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Is there any particular reason the BBC, HBO, and two separate Epix channels are all showing James Bond movies today? Multiples in a row on Epix and BBC?

The same reason that HBO, Cinemax and FX, et. al. also all run concurrent airings of Top Gun and etc.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

JD-Smith posted:

Highdeas!

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Human Tornada posted:

Probably back when those channels bought the licenses and set the programming, the new James Bond movie was still going to be released this week.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why don’t they sell smoked chicken?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
they do

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I have never seen this in person.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well posting an Australian supermarket was a bit flippant of me, but it's a thing in the US as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smoked-Chicken-Breast-by-Les-Trois-Petits-Cochons-17-ounce/145317149

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thank you. I only wish I might someday taste one of these products. :/

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

Why don’t they sell smoked chicken?

Are you looking for a package like the one that's been posted or are you talking about a menu item?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Are you looking for a package like the one that's been posted or are you talking about a menu item?

I’m now just interested in a dead chicken being smoked and made available for eating. So a menu item would work too!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't think I've ever seen smoked chicken packaged up like that either.

Chicken is just a low-tier meat and itself doesn't retain flavour well in general.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've also seen it at the deli in the supermarket. It doesn't have a lot more flavour than just roast chicken breast, to be honest.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

I don't think I've ever seen smoked chicken packaged up like that either.

Chicken is just a low-tier meat and itself doesn't retain flavour well in general.

Chicken is fantastic and I won’t hear otherwise. :colbert:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of chicken, does anyone know any rumors about when KFC's chicken alternative will go live in all KFCs? will be widely available?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CrazySalamander posted:

Speaking of chicken, does anyone know any rumors about when KFC's chicken alternative will go live in all KFCs?

They had a really good veggie burger in Canada in like 2018. Don’t know if they still have it since that was the last time I went to one. :iiam:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone know if there's a way to look up posts from people that quote me? I sometimes can't tell if someone is replying to me in threads that are very active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Radirot posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to look up posts from people that quote me? I sometimes can't tell if someone is replying to me in threads that are very active.

Search for your username using the sites search engine. It'll bring up your posts and people quoting you.