Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Thanks that's the kind of info I wanted. It gives me something to aim for at the least.

Picking the deck I want to play will be the hard part.

2 things to consider (in addition to waiting for Ikoria):

A - Guilds of Ravnica block (Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, War of the Spark) and M20 will be rotating out and no longer legal in standard in ~6 months. I'd be hesitant to spend WCs on any cards from those sets.
B - Before you start spending WCs to build a specific deck, consider which color(s) you enjoy playing the most and figure out which cards are likely to see continued play throughout their lifespan in standard, vs. cards that may only be useful in 1-2 decks.

A couple examples I'd use for B - Brazen Borrower and Embercleave are absolutely top tier cards. If you enjoy playing blue, Borrower will find a home in most decks, same for Embercleave in red. There are rares and mythics for every color that fit this bill, but there are also plenty of rares and mythics with very limited usefulness - examples of this would be Kethis, the Hidden Hand or Klothys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

2 things to consider (in addition to waiting for Ikoria):

A - Guilds of Ravnica block (Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, War of the Spark) and M20 will be rotating out and no longer legal in standard in ~6 months. I'd be hesitant to spend WCs on any cards from those sets.
B - Before you start spending WCs to build a specific deck, consider which color(s) you enjoy playing the most and figure out which cards are likely to see continued play throughout their lifespan in standard, vs. cards that may only be useful in 1-2 decks.

A couple examples I'd use for B - Brazen Borrower and Embercleave are absolutely top tier cards. If you enjoy playing blue, Borrower will find a home in most decks, same for Embercleave in red. There are rares and mythics for every color that fit this bill, but there are also plenty of rares and mythics with very limited usefulness - examples of this would be Kethis, the Hidden Hand or Klothys.

6 months is a LONG time, especially in magic. If you avoid crafting s tuff from those sets you're kneecapping yourself pretty badly. I mean I wouldn't craft stuff from those sets "just to have it" (although you shouldn't be doing this no matter what). Find a deck you want to build and spend the wildcards ON THAT DECK.

ALSO: Ikoria comes out in like 5 days. DON'T BUILD A NEW DECK UNTIL THE META SETTLES, probably for another like two or three weeks. It's gonna suck waiting that long, but it's better to do that than build some flash in the pan like esper stax or whatever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you're starting out, your first priority should be saving wildcards up until you find a deck that you want to play. use the cards you've been given and the free starter decks and resist spending wildcards on cards you think are "staples" just because you think any optimal deck might want them. like, fabled passage is great but if you're starting yourself off with a monocolored deck it's wasted WCs & even if you go two color you can substitute in a tapland. it won't be the best but it'll get you there while spending your cards on things that actually make the deck function

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

if you're starting out, your first priority should be saving wildcards up until you find a deck that you want to play. use the cards you've been given and the free starter decks and resist spending wildcards on cards you think are "staples" just because you think any optimal deck might want them. like, fabled passage is great but if you're starting yourself off with a monocolored deck it's wasted WCs & even if you go two color you can substitute in a tapland. it won't be the best but it'll get you there while spending your cards on things that actually make the deck function

Yes it's this. There's no reason to spend wildcards on poo poo you think you may want to play at some point in the future. Save them and build a deck as complete as you can. Don't burn a WC on something "just to have it".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
There was also that "you can deckbuild with all cards" event recently.
I played at least a match with most meta decks, to find one that I like. If that gets repeated, it is perfect to find your first serious deck.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

This is pretty strange, ngl

You think it's strange to want to socialize with friends during a game?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I've no intention on spending all my wild cards right now. I'm still having fun with my jank. I'm running a cobbled together grixis deck at the moment relying on taplands and luck.

I just wanted to get an idea on the amounts a good deck typically use. I don't want some cookie cutter anyway.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

Shouldn't we have an April State of the Game article by now? I'm hoping there will be news about Pioneer and/or mobile play.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lord help me I'm gonna try to build a Feather deck again

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Feather Deck, Is Good.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dracula Factory posted:

You think it's strange to want to socialize with friends during a game?

I've never wanted to talk to my opponents IRL, but that's because they've pretty much always been strangers. Playing with friends is a different situation.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the only time i've ever wanted to talk to my opponent on Arena is when they had this graveyard and i needed to know just what the gently caress was happening

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1248694903829340163/photo/1

He conceded after the 4th snek. :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AngryBooch posted:

lord help me I'm gonna try to build a Feather deck again

Interesting question WRT this, from the perspective of having been doing Giant Hexproof Voltron for ages: which is more useful, protection or indestructible?

The indestructible from this looks potentially very handy.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

the only time i've ever wanted to talk to my opponent on Arena is when they had this graveyard and i needed to know just what the gently caress was happening

That's, uh...interesting, to be sure. I'm occasionally impressed by the strange lengths people will go to with their mana bases in this format.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting question WRT this, from the perspective of having been doing Giant Hexproof Voltron for ages: which is more useful, protection or indestructible?

Protection can sometimes be a problem if you're shielding from the same color as one of your auras, for example, but indestructible also has the weakness of not protecting against exile or reducing toughness. It really depends on your meta, I would imagine.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends on what you're trying to avoid. ECD and other single target, you want protection, but for Shatter and sweepers you want indestructible. Right now, Feather probably wants both so you're sort of poo poo out of luck.

edit: I guess actually indestructible is probably better because sweepers hit sooner and ECD is bad against agro.

edit2: that card is really good because it lets you go legionnaire into feather and save both from StS.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 10, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

At the moment I'm going to say that Hexproof and/or Protection is more important due to Teferi, Aether Gust, ECD, and Decree, but you do ideally want both. If Dive Down were still legal I'd be all over it in a Feather deck with the triome lands.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Somberbrero posted:

Are codes from the previous digital fnm events still good? I have a bunch left over from my store if anyone missed them.
I assume I've missed this, but I'd be interested if you still have any left.

Bust Rodd posted:

Getting 20 gems for every reward because I have most rares sucks. True dupe protection would be better.
Which rares do you even still want? Just start getting historic chaff or something?

It kinda sucks opening packs from a rare-complete set, but 20 gems is probably a better reward than random trash from ICRs. I think I get a sealed worth of gems over the longer set gaps.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

For Swole Druids the biggest issue is usually sweepers, since they're usually big enough and/or hexproof enough to not be horribly vulnerable to direct removal.

I'm thinking it might be a good shout to include.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

thespaceinvader posted:

protection doesn't defend against wraths and can potentially make your own beneficial auras fall off, indestructible doesn't stop exiling or targeted -x/-x removal or aura-based removal like kenrith's transformation or trapped in the tower

so i mean, which are you more worried about

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slapped together a Dinos Historic Brawl deck, 'cause why not?

First game got out a Turn 4 Gishath. On the play.

Pretty much the goddiest of godhands and oh was it satisfying.

Might have to retire the deck already and brew more jank, 'cause I don't think I'm topping that.

Update: Now I'm 5 and 0 although that last one hardly counts 'cause I accidentally went into a mandatory infinite combo and eventually the guy just conceded.

Would that have been a draw otherwise?

Triple Post Edit:

Dinos are good and my friends.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 11, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

my opponent on 11 lands: ... <thinking>

me, on 2 lands: "cool"

darkroast
Apr 8, 2019
I wish historic brawl was more frequent, I'm having a lot more fun with it than standard brawl (no experience with Commander) . Current brew is WGR Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner as the commander stacking auras on hexproof creatures which has been pretty successful and working on a Raff Capashen flash build. I've tried the Gishath deck and it's a blast, anyone have other fun Timmy style builds to try while it's up?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

darkroast posted:

I wish historic brawl was more frequent, I'm having a lot more fun with it than standard brawl (no experience with Commander) . Current brew is WGR Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner as the commander stacking auras on hexproof creatures which has been pretty successful and working on a Raff Capashen flash build. I've tried the Gishath deck and it's a blast, anyone have other fun Timmy style builds to try while it's up?

Knight Tribal is kind of fun, and if you want to go really off the wall make a When Walls Attack deck with Arcades.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Probably the best feeling in the world is seeing an idiot playing persistent petitioners in historic brawl because they hate fun or something and slamming down fifteen power worth of dinosaurs by turn four, watching them mouse of the cards briefly, then concede.

The worst feeling in the world is watching yet another Niv Mizzet player take 85 years to decide which land they'd like to play first, probably looking up a "How 2 Play Brawl" guide on reddit because they have never had an original thought in their entire life and must turn to the internet for deck building, strategy, and even how to wipe their own rear end.

There are no possible feelings that can exist in between.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It's really unfortunate that Brawl is standard only (I didn't realize that until I started thinking about Historic Brawl). That seems odd considering the appeal to me of Commander is the thousands of cards you can choose from.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm kind of glad it's Standard only 'cause once it gets solved it's no fun.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Shaking my head at all these simps who play non-historic commanders in Historic Brawl. Big Teferi is incredibly hosed up with Dream Trawler and like 8 wraths lol.

Oh, and Spell Pierce is still busted

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Really wish Historic Brawl was a regular format so I could justify spending 20 rare/mythic wildcards on making a fun deck instead of just slamming two out with Bolas Grixis.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ran into a Brawl player who apparently just jammed every single counterspell possible into his deck, no matter how bad. His commander was that giant from Theros that makes your big spells uncounterable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Ran into a Brawl player who apparently just jammed every single counterspell possible into his deck, no matter how bad. His commander was that giant from Theros that makes your big spells uncounterable.

This is a CovertGoBlue deck, and it's horrendous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSeQH-UARJE

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Theres no way to try brawl against sparky, is there?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Somberbrero posted:

Really wish Historic Brawl was a regular format so I could justify spending 20 rare/mythic wildcards on making a fun deck instead of just slamming two out with Bolas Grixis.
Yeah, though this time I at least bothered to reconfigure temur control with Omnath into a slight historic deck rather than just smashing face with mono red

It strikes me as shortsighted on their part not to have weekly or bimonthly historic brawl and standard shake up. A few days a month of these would encourage people to throw WCs at more diverse decks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Big Centipede posted:

Theres no way to try brawl against sparky, is there?

I don't think so, but it's free to try out against people right now. What's to risk?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Justin_Brett posted:

I’ve beaten this deck every time I’ve played against it because once they burn all their good 2 drops like negate and Tales’ End you can bait them very reliably. If you manage to stick a threat and then kill their Genie when they try to stick him the game is over.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Even though I'm really excited about Ikoria, I'm sad to see the first of the Ravnica sets cycle out. I always get antsy around rotation, but I know that it's good to keep the game fresh. I'm just sad that my janky Golgari reanimator deck won't be legal anymore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SalTheBard posted:

Even though I'm really excited about Ikoria, I'm sad to see the first of the Ravnica sets cycle out. I always get antsy around rotation, but I know that it's good to keep the game fresh. I'm just sad that my janky Golgari reanimator deck won't be legal anymore.

Nothing rotates until September, you’ll have all of Guilds of Ravnica block legal with everything through Ikoria

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

Nothing rotates until September, you’ll have all of Guilds of Ravnica block legal with everything through Ikoria

Oh...ok! For some reason I thought sets rotated at a 1:1 ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SalTheBard posted:

Oh...ok! For some reason I thought sets rotated at a 1:1 ratio.

https://whatsinstandard.com/