Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

imp zone is under finer arts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

big nipples big life posted:

imp zone is under finer arts though.

Hmm. Games are a land of contrasts.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quote-Unquote posted:

If video games are art then how come the games forum is under 'discussion' and not 'the finer arts'?

because they're not one of the finer arts?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

fridge corn posted:

because they're not one of the finer arts?

let's be real here. Batman's Shameful secret was deemed "finer arts"
The phrase has no meaning.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this is definitely a worthwhile argument to rehash and i'm sure this time around, minds will finally be changed

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

video games are cool and good, who cares if they are art or not?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I was joking about the forum categories and didn't think anyone would take that stupid argument seriously, sorry.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

the steam forums is like drinking gamergate stereotypes from a firehose. it makes gamefaqs look civilized.

While I agree, there are exceptions. My mom plays a ton of hidden object games and any time she has issues with one I'll check the sub-forum. It's always full of middle aged women who are super polite and try to be helpfull.
Also, somehow I've only seen a few lovely posts in the Postal 4 sub despite that game being pretty much still just a tech demo.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
Pillars Of Eternity 2 with turn based is a better game than Divinity: original Sin 2

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In my experience people use Steam forums big and small to complain about the game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

unknown butthole posted:

Pillars Of Eternity 2 with turn based is a better game than Divinity: original Sin 2

jesus loving christ with this poo poo oh my god

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
last time I tried to comment in a steam forums for a game to try and figure something out it wouldn't let me because the account I was using hadn't spent enough money on steam. I thought that was pretty BS although it's probably just to cut down on spam and harassment

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's more to cut down on scam bots for csgo, tf2 and dota skins.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The best Steam forums happen when a developer who's game is Epic exclusive make a preorder page on Steam. This also creates a subforum for the game. What then happens is that people who bought it on EGS and want to discuss it end up over there.
You won't believe how happy Steam users are to welcome those guys. Those subforums are some of the biggest shitshows I've ever seen online.
Oh and it escalates even more if it happens to be a game like Close to the Sun that Epic are currently giving away for free. Instead of just going there and getting the game for nothing the Steam users screech like howler monkeys and fling poo.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

well why not posted:

saying "I think there's a conspiracy" in a cyberpunk story, let alone Deus Ex, is like saying "I think there might be magic" in a story where everyone is levitating and throwing fireballs.

"JC I think there might be a conspiracy" *soldier with majestic 12 painted on his helmet runs past shooting at a grey alien*

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lmao so you think stories are poo poo in video games, except good ones, because they're giant blocks of text you have to read?

As opposed to a great book which is...hmm.

Nah it's just that they feel like separate parts, a great game story is the excellent unison of both the story and the gameplay so they add up to more than their sum. Like good movie stories make use of the visual constantly in their story telling and worse movies have exposition dumps. A good game story makes good use of the visual and the interactive for its story.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 10, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lodin posted:

The best Steam forums happen when a developer who's game is Epic exclusive make a preorder page on Steam. This also creates a subforum for the game. What then happens is that people who bought it on EGS and want to discuss it end up over there.
You won't believe how happy Steam users are to welcome those guys. Those subforums are some of the biggest shitshows I've ever seen online.
Oh and it escalates even more if it happens to be a game like Close to the Sun that Epic are currently giving away for free. Instead of just going there and getting the game for nothing the Steam users screech like howler monkeys and fling poo.

very serious about my monogamous relationship with a store that doesn't even know I'm alive.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gaben is actually a villain for locking us into a monopolistic storefront and not running a sale in the first month of social distancing

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you're ambivalent to the storefront but you value the people who make the actual games for you, the storefront ranking is gog > epic > steam since steam takes a bigger cut than anyone else. maybe epic > gog, not sure

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think gog takes 30% just like steam does.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

out of all the things to take a hard moral stance on, online video game storefronts are a terrible choice

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the ones proudly announcing they won't accept a good, free game because it is on the bad store are my favorite.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

out of all the things to take a hard moral stance on, online video game storefronts are a terrible choice

if you're locked into steam with thousands of dollars worth of games purchased over a decade+ you should hope for a steam monopoly forever, because if anyone ever puts them out of business lol :rip: all of our games

this is the only rational reason to be ideologically steam-only, but it also makes clear why steam and gaben are bad and have hosed us all

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 10, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Among many other things the competition has forced Steam to do anything about its garbage UI for the first time in like 15 years, so the competition is an unambiguous good. Meanwhile Steam's refund policy has pushed other storefronts to match it or lose sales, also an unambiguous good.

PC master racers spent a long time laughing at the lovely overpriced console storefronts, so the introduction of balkanization makes them nervous.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 10, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are people so loyal to steam because of achievements? I can't think of any other reason it should matter once the game is running.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Are people so loyal to steam because of achievements? I can't think of any other reason it should matter once the game is running.

I'm not sure anyone has cared about achievements for like 10 years.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Waltzing Along posted:

Never underestimate people's joy from seeing their e-penis get bigger.

I still have yet to figure out what Steam trading cards do but I'm assuming it has something to do with e-penis rankings.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i think people started to take all the stupid gaben memes too seriously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

limp_cheese posted:

I still have yet to figure out what Steam trading cards do but I'm assuming it has something to do with e-penis rankings.

Also emotes to use in steam chat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

- You can sell them for like 3-5 cents, while Steam pockets 1-2 cents

- You can collect all 5-8 for a game and get a profile page background (lmbo)

- You can make gems to get more games or something out of them, I've never done this

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Steam users who hate epic generally point to exclusives being the problem. They are 99% of the time the same people that complain when a game isn't PlayStation exclusive. There should be an entire wing of psychology devoted to uncovering what's going on.

I haven't spent a cent on the epic games store and own probably a thousand dollars worth of games there. As long as stream users continue to do this I'm pretty sure epic is going to keep giving away free games so I'm not complaining.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

once a year you dump them all onto the market with that chrome extension and make like $15

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The most amazing thing about Steam is that in all these years they haven't managed to come up with an UI that isn't an ugly clusterfuck of various panels and buttons just haphazardly thrown around.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Steam users who hate epic generally point to exclusives being the problem. They are 99% of the time the same people that complain when a game isn't PlayStation exclusive. There should be an entire wing of psychology devoted to uncovering what's going on.

I haven't spent a cent on the epic games store and own probably a thousand dollars worth of games there. As long as stream users continue to do this I'm pretty sure epic is going to keep giving away free games so I'm not complaining.

those same people will write 5 paragraphs on why a game I can only get on steam is not akshually exclusive.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The most amazing thing about Steam is that in all these years they haven't managed to come up with an UI that isn't an ugly clusterfuck of various panels and buttons just haphazardly thrown around.

They're too busy making TF2 hats to design a decent UI.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

It's gotten worse.

I visited stream on mobile and there's one of those hamburger menus except it's huge with a wide blue ora around it. Turns out it's a scrollbar. Hey steam, on mobile most people scroll by dragging the screen. Can you get that thing out of the way?

It covers up important page elements and if you scroll to get it out of the way those elements are no longer on the screen.

Maybe try hiring someone that understands basic poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

The Microsoft Outlook of gaming platforms.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

poverty goat posted:

once a year you dump them all onto the market with that chrome extension and make like $15

I did not know about the Chrome extension and was doing it by hand for a while. After hours of putting poo poo up for sale I made a few dollars, maybe, and decided it just wasn't worth it.

It wouldn't be so bad if every card didn't sell for only 5-8 cents. Even the cards for lovely games no one played are only worth that much. What a stupid loving waste.

I guess I should put forth an unpopular opinion for content. I liked Xcom: The Bureau. I thought it was a fun 3rd-person shooter even though it was clunky. I also liked the 50s aesthetic and I wish they would make another one.

Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade was also a poo poo load of fun that no one plays anymore. You could play as an Ork and assualting a huge cathedral with 30 other Orks, all of whom are yelling "WAAAAAAAGGGHHH", while you slowly wear down the Space Marine defenders was a blast. Its too bad it never caught on and the Space Marines were full of try hard pro clans. Its also too bad we won't get another game like that or WH40k: Space Marine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nolgthorn posted:

Steam users who hate epic generally point to exclusives being the problem. They are 99% of the time the same people that complain when a game isn't PlayStation exclusive.

This doesn't make any sense and you're probably saying based on nothing.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm basing it on long drawn out conversations I've had with people that say "if such and such or such and such is epic xclusive I won't buy it" followed with me asking about why that mattered because epic games is free to use and playstation isn't but there are lots of playstation exclusives. That is when they almost universally defend playstation.

You can find people that get annoyed when something isn't playstation exclusive and with very little effort it is even possible to get them to suggest the same thing.

These are platform fanboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I've never heard a pcmr nerd (the worst breed of nerds) defend a console over anything and those are usually the types be all epic bad, steam good.