Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Finished another robot.

Love a GM! I like the weathering, especially the big dent on the knee - Sniper models ought to have beat-to-poo poo knees from crouching down to take a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Awesome! I love that build, is a really nice kit.

Here's my take on it that I posted a while ago.

My first proper airbrushed kit to boot!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1247298603346874368

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

:bisonyes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cleaned out my closet during my isolation, and so I have 5 gundam model kits unbuilt that I want to build so I can break down the boxes and not have them take up so much space. goons, choose your character(for me to build)

I'm thinking either the Heavyarms or Turn A first, then maybe the Nu Gundoom, then the EZ8 and RX-79 since I've built those kits before, long ago.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Turn A.

It's probably the best kit of the set, with the engineering letting it keep up with more modern kits, unlike the other four.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I vote for Turn A as well, mostly because I'm gearing up to build one myself. I'd like to hear outside input about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, turn a it is

And, to show my gunpla building chops have not dulled at all, literally the first thing that happened on the very first loving step was I dropped an incredibly tiny piece and it immediately bounced off halfway across the room under a piece of furniture

All is as it should be

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
dont lose the cow

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Azubah posted:

I vote for Turn A as well, mostly because I'm gearing up to build one myself. I'd like to hear outside input about it.
did the torso/head/arms for now, it's a decent build. fingers are pretty loose though.

the back assembly sucks but I'm guessing it's that way to accommodate Moonlight Butterfly

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Been building the RG Exia and I really love it, but I had to admit defeat at the cheek vents because haha, Jesus christ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Been building the RG Exia and I really love it, but I had to admit defeat at the cheek vents because haha, Jesus christ

Wait till you wrestle with the transparent plastic strips :unsmigghh:.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait till you wrestle with the transparent plastic strips :unsmigghh:.

I built the head last of the body so I already wrangled with those fuckers, I’ll take them over trying to install the cheek vents without tweezers any goddamn day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Working on my RG Zeta. I just attached the legs to the waist unit and this is the first time ever I thought that the thing would explode apart if I looked at it wrong

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Working on my RG Zeta. I just attached the legs to the waist unit and this is the first time ever I thought that the thing would explode apart if I looked at it wrong

Trust your instincts. :ohdear: I love the Zeta and the RG is probably one of the best looking interpretations of the design but gosh darn am I scared to touch it.

My new God Hands finally arrived today so I was able to start digging into the PG Perfect Strike in between work. I'm fairly impressed so far, the instructions and parts count look a lot more like the kind of thing I was expecting from a PG, very different from my first PG, the Mk-II, which has some really weird design choices in construction. Stupidly though, my favorite thing in the whole kit is the 2-stage molded flick knives armor schneiders :3:.

On the down side, while it is Perfect Grade and it is the Perfect Strike, it's inevitably not quite perfect. For one they don't give you all the parts for the Skygrasper, which feels strange as they already give you a lot of the parts on the Aile Striker pack runners and at this price tag I don't quite see why they can't throw in the extra 2-3 runners to complete it. Also, despite all the new runners, they expect you to use some of the shield bracket pieces from the base kit for the Sword Striker claw-shield thingy so you can't swap them over without disassembling one, which I really don't understand because it's literally just 2 pieces.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

RG Exia is the closest I’ve been to just giving up on a kit. Incredibly small bits and incredibly tedious. My sword just flops around and doesn’t stay in any single position well.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

cleaned out my closet during my isolation, and so I have 5 gundam model kits unbuilt that I want to build so I can break down the boxes and not have them take up so much space. goons, choose your character(for me to build)

I'm thinking either the Heavyarms or Turn A first, then maybe the Nu Gundoom, then the EZ8 and RX-79 since I've built those kits before, long ago.

Having done one, I'd not bother with the Gundoom. I prefer the look of it — I like the slight design changes and increased surface detailing compared to the old HG — but the quality is pretty poo poo. Panel lines crossing a part boundary don't always match up, badly-placed seam lines, that kind of thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh man, I feel you. I think I transformed it once to say I did, then put it in robot mode and left it that way.

The only build I've done that has intricate transforming that feels solid is the MG ZZ Ver.Ka. There's a few pieces (the shields and V fin, really) that are a bit finicky, but otherwise it's super solid and doesn't feel like a grenade. The MG Proto Zero build is solid as well but that's not super intricate either.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Taking advantage of the plamo in the title - I finished the Vic Viper from Gradius IV, kit by Atelier Sai. Engineering and fit were on par with Motor King or other Chinese clones. Very much a snap kit, very much requires paint - I don't trust the waterslides that came with it, given how yellow the paper was.

Panel lines are extremely shallow and I loving hate white, when I got enough thin coats of white paint on, then a gloss coat, they basically jammed the panel lines and made it a bitch and a half to get a wash in there. I repainted and recoated a few before I just decided to give up and place my faith in the flat topcoat.

Ironically, the Gradius logo was among the easier parts. The letters are recessed. Primed the base, sprayed blue, then did a relatively solid layer of sunset red at the very bottom and light layers to build the gradient. The next day I filled the letters in with Silly Putty (poster tack was a bit difficult to mold into the recessed letters), painted the base, touched up any missed bits outside the letters, and bada bing, done.

I FINALLY got cockpit masking down. I cut thin strips of masking tape and used them on the edges of the glass parts, then used Vallejo masking fluid to get the area within the glass to be masked. It was so loving easy, I was stunned. Vallejo fluid is fairly low viscosity but has good surface tension, so once it touched the edges of the tape, it stopped cleanly and formed a nice solid barrier. There were a few flecks that I gotta toothpick out.

I am never, ever again working with transparent orange. A real bitch to get right.

The innards were Vallejo Mecha Color light steel with I think Mig Jimenez Starship Wash.

There was supposed to be orange parts covering the forward gun-looking thingies but one of them snapped. Rather than have a mismatch I just left it open. Huzzah, cannons!

I also love the fact that the display stand can mount the fighter either in horizontal or vertical. More models need to do this, it looks awesome to have the overhead view.

The inner parts of the lobes didn't shine up all that nicely in the photos but the inner ones are Mr. Metal Color Iron, with the exhaust vents polished to a high shine that didn't show up at all. The inner-INNER ones are Vallejo Mecha Color Light Steel with Starship Wash.

It's pretty cool that they have hatches for the innards and missile racks that can be positioned opened or closed.

I did paint the options but I gotta spend some time figuring out how to stretch sprue in a curve such that it can suspend them. Sorta like the Qubeley and Sazabi effect parts, but clear.

Don't do this kit unless you love Gradius and are willing to do some peg shaving, weird supergluing, and other plamo fun stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Was it USA Gundam Store or Gundam Planet that was super sketch?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Was it USA Gundam Store or Gundam Planet that was super sketch?

USA Gundam Store has been really bad about not shipping things promptly or responding to questions for several of us. I haven’t heard any complaints about Gundam Planet.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

MJP posted:

Vic Viper

Looks great. For your panel line issues I know that a lot of aircraft modellers will rescribe the panel lines before primer and paint to make sure they are pronounced and deep enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My dude has knees on his feet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Azubah posted:

finished it, trip report: it's a decent kit, looks very nice when finished, but I did not really enjoy the assembly and there's a lot of poo poo that likes to *TOING* off because there's a fair number of thin panels layered on things. The gun is flimsy as hell, the figure has trouble holding anything, the fingers are extremely loose. Decent amount of articulation, but again, the nature of certain pieces to just shoot off the figure ain't great. Particularly the forearm dark grey -> white paneling likes to pop off at the slightest provocation.

I know you can glue them, but most gunpla kits I've built in the past didn't need that like this might.

DigitalRaven posted:

Having done one, I'd not bother with the Gundoom. I prefer the look of it — I like the slight design changes and increased surface detailing compared to the old HG — but the quality is pretty poo poo. Panel lines crossing a part boundary don't always match up, badly-placed seam lines, that kind of thing.
I'll probably just suffer through it anyways, I like the look of the finished figure and it doesn't look overly complex, even if the quality isn't top shelf. Unless these weird bootlegs sell for a mint, then I'd sell it, but I can't even find one of these specific kits for sale anywhere to judge the value.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

discovered during this build I am not very good at tiny sticker placement :/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do you use an exacto knife to apply stickers? It's the best way I've found, just get a tiny bit of the sticker attached to the blade, steady your arm on a table edge, leave the piece in question on a firm surface, and gently, carefully lower the sticker down onto the exact spot you need, then slide the blade tip out from under and smooth it out. Works every time.

well, except for curved/angled surface stickers, but those are designed by satan himself so it's not surprising nothing works for those

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you use an exacto knife to apply stickers? It's the best way I've found, just get a tiny bit of the sticker attached to the blade, steady your arm on a table edge, leave the piece in question on a firm surface, and gently, carefully lower the sticker down onto the exact spot you need, then slide the blade tip out from under and smooth it out. Works every time.

well, except for curved/angled surface stickers, but those are designed by satan himself so it's not surprising nothing works for those

woah, no I’ve been using tweezers - this changes everything; thanks!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Also after you've placed it down lightly use a toothpick on the side of the sticker to move it around.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Actually, yeah, I had been doing that on the Tallgeese and my reprolabels Transformer decals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Pro-tip; Use a toothpick. You can place really fidgety stickers carefully with them and roll the toothpick off to put stickers perfectly in place.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'll probably just suffer through it anyways, I like the look of the finished figure and it doesn't look overly complex, even if the quality isn't top shelf. Unless these weird bootlegs sell for a mint, then I'd sell it, but I can't even find one of these specific kits for sale anywhere to judge the value.

Fair. I don't think it'd go for much; the MC Model kits were always cheaper than the equivalent Bandai kits and I don't see any reason for the price to spike that much. If you're going in eyes-open you might even enjoy it.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pro-tip; Use a toothpick. You can place really fidgety stickers carefully with them and roll the toothpick off to put stickers perfectly in place.

Extra-Pro-tip: use some soapy water to set them in place. It gives you some time to move them around before it dries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEW2WEbW57w&t=594s

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Thanks for the trip report!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Old Swerdlow posted:

Looks great. For your panel line issues I know that a lot of aircraft modellers will rescribe the panel lines before primer and paint to make sure they are pronounced and deep enough.

They were great as normal panel lines, but I think it's more that I suck at painting white and either overdid it or did it wrong. I still gotta git gud at rescribing; I have a panel scriber that does a good job and Dymo tape, but I've never gotten up the cojones to use it properly.

I might try it on a less critical aircraft model from my backlog one of these days. I think I did on another kit that never made it to panel lining phase because Reasons, which I don't recall. Test hulk, I guess.

Edit: anyone aware of places that sell Gunpla and AK Interactive 3rd generation acrylics? I wanna get me a Wodom Pod and some more of the paints, they're pretty darn interesting so far but USAGundamstore is the only one so far and I'm hesitant given how iffy they've been.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 9, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have to admit I am tempted to just stop right here and leave RG Zeta like this

Why does my iPhone take photos so big yet they look so terrible :(

EDIT: Actually? I may actually leave it like that, on account of having so much trouble trying to fit the collarbone piece without it coming apart completely. Whatever, I am dealing with this later.

I am still waiting on my RG Eva and Crossbones. I hope those aren't as miserable as this. Its not the small parts, it is the feeling that things don't fit right.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 10, 2020

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
P-Bandai US updated with four more kits for pre-order:

MG Re-GZ Custom
MG Tenneth A. Jung's GM Sniper Custom
MG GN-X III (A-Laws Type)
RE/100 Vigna-Zirah

Interestingly, unlike the previous batch, these have a June delivery time rather than September.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still waiting on my RG Eva and Crossbones. I hope those aren't as miserable as this. Its not the small parts, it is the feeling that things don't fit right.

I'm finishing up the RG Crossbones and it's pretty solid. One thing to watch out for is to make sure you plug the upper arm into the shoulder bit ALL THE WAY before moving it since it has a slotted peg. I nearly tore the peg off since it was juuuust barely not in all the way.

It's such a tiny MS that the RG Unicorn's extended leg is as tall as it is. Applying water-slides to it has been tedious. Each wing/booster of the core fighter has 11 decals.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay I think I fixed it or at least got it partway there by reassembling some pieces but taking them apart was a challenge on its own.

EDIT: Yeah I don’t think I have it right but I think I got it as good as it will get at this point

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 10, 2020

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The RG Zeta is not fun to build or pose. I broke one of the ab pieces just trying to get it in place correctly.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I finished my entry for my local gunpla group's build off where everyone had to use a MG Ball kit. I kitbashed it with a bunch of stuff to create a Warhammer 40k Ork Morkanaut which was a ton of fun to do. You can check out the full imgur album here and I also wrote an article on the process here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That rules. Makes me wonder what i could cobble together with an MG ball out of spare parts I've got lying around.