Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

I see Alabama has a brother.

Also a husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I had a random thought a bit ago about taking Nebraska, Kansas and eastern Colorado and turning them all into a national park and just filling it with bison and elk.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That Works posted:

So's "Enemy of the People" but the POTUS used that one so often directly at several news agencies that no one even blinks at it anymore.

Also lmao just listen to the 1st 30 seconds.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248046216539242496

"within 5 years" , covid - 2019

While from a business perspective spending money for every possible contingency isn't economical, from a governmental/military perspective it's pretty vital.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Spoken like someone who doesn't want to defund the post office

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's also why the National Guard is now in regular rotation as an occupation force overseas, rather than being a strategic reserve for times of war. It's a budget Army. It deploys just as much, but doesn't cost the government full time pay and benefits.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Republicans are using this crisis as a basis to do some pretty mad power grabs. Like Texas banning abortions due to 'covid-19 medical resources that should go to hospitals instead'.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/politics/pandemic-coronavirus-jacobson-supreme-court-abortion-rights/index.html

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

"It's just the flu, dude"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Called my dad this morning, I want to have good conversations, but he comes up with "the news says that NYC is inflating the number of Covid deaths so they can get more Federal Funding." "Also, they aren't reporting any flu deaths or heart attacks and are just rolling the numbers into the covid total."

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

PeterCat posted:

Called my dad this morning, I want to have good conversations, but he comes up with "the news says that NYC is inflating the number of Covid deaths so they can get more Federal Funding." "Also, they aren't reporting any flu deaths or heart attacks and are just rolling the numbers into the covid total."

I almost had a "crack ping" moment from that and the drat malaria treatment poo poo.

Everyone has a friend that knows a guy who's brother is a doctor and it TOTALLY works.

I pointed out that if it was so good, NY would have less dead bodies. Then they claimed it wasn't from COVID. Now I'm waiting for it to be the dead are the 5G installers, who needed to be "disposed of" so it can come full circle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PeterCat posted:

I teach a pseudoscience course for my college. I'm putting together a lecture for Tue about the hydroxychloroquine stuff to talk about what we know about the drugs, how they work, what do people think they do for Covid, introduce them to how we do clinical trials etc then just show the misinformation etc surrounding them vs the current knowledge. I had a student email me this morning asking about why the covid fatality % in the USA was lower than other places. I had never even considered it a possibility but now would be a little concerned that states who didn't enact covid policies quickly etc might try to juke their death totals in a way similar to what you mentioned above. I don't think NYC is doing this at all, but my trust is now so little that I almost expect states like FL, AL, AR etc to pull that poo poo to defray as much scrutiny.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm in florida. You can not get tested unless you can show you've been in contact with someone that has it, are sick enough to be admitted to the ER or have been out of the country. They're only counting covid deaths as those people that had a confirmed case and died. So if you have it and die in your home without being tested? Sucks to be you, heart attack/pneumonia is your COD.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

West Virginia made one good decision and hasn't made any since

At least they gave us the McElroys

You Put Some Respect on Tudors name, sir

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm in a weird situation where I'm relieved my mom died last year and isn't living through this poo poo.

Mostly because it would have stressed me the gently caress out on a daily basis because she had a severe drinking problem with respiratory issues to boot and I could easily imagine me having to plead with her not to leave her crappy apartment on a daily basis followed by her leaving and eventually getting sick :smith:

Thankfully my dad and step-parents are all doing pretty well and are taking this seriously. My youngest sister has told my dad and step-mom she'll go do shopping and such since they are older and she's got nothing better to do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/GerryConnolly/status/1248334335658336256

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Dont they not report a death as a covid death unless the person was tested for covid prior to the death? Its not like they have a surplus of tests so theyre using them only on some patients right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A bunch of rural dumbfucks are suddenly not going to be able to get their pills.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

One would think that mail volume would be up, since the only way to get a lot of stuff is by ordering it right now.

That is unless a major percentage of the mail is junk being sent around by businesses that are closed :thunk:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1248685520298917888?s=20

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SSnQBtaq4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

It deploys just as much, but doesn't cost the government full time pay and benefits.

Individual national guard units don't deploy as often as active duty units. Now, there are some enablers or types of units that are basically 100% filled by national guard units, but they're individually on MUCH less frequent deployment timelines than active units.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

A Bad Poster posted:

One would think that mail volume would be up, since the only way to get a lot of stuff is by ordering it right now.

That is unless a major percentage of the mail is junk being sent around by businesses that are closed :thunk:

Amazon uses slaverunning contractors to deliver most of their packages.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Amazon uses slaverunning contractors to deliver most of their packages.
In major metro areas. Further out it mostly goes USPS.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I doubt it. I'm in a smallish town in Canada and they dont use canadapost here.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I've had a fair bit of canada post amazon deliveries but most of the time its UPS and I live in a small city (35k). I've barely used it the last year or so though

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I dunno if starting at 13.82 ( going from an indeed search in Charlotte) of the subcontractors that apply a vehicle is exactly slave wages. Its not the 17/hour Amazon is paying period here but it's better than most of what is available atm. A lot of places are hiring at like 10-12 here cuz nc sucks. It would be interesting to see what Amazon would be forced to pay if federal minimum wage wasn't 8 bucks

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

I don't think NYC is doing this at all, but my trust is now so little that I almost expect states like FL, AL, AR etc to pull that poo poo to defray as much scrutiny.

https://twitter.com/leorahorwitzmd/status/1248689042759340032?s=19

Here's the first I've seen where all the causes of death are stripped out. NYC got 5,330 deaths more than expected, with 3,350 of them directly attributed to COVID. This is the kind of data that you could throw at a truther, but they'll just dig deeper holes and not care. So yeah, the obvious undercounts in the southern states will be fun.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You Put Some Respect on Tudors name, sir

Current event: I live 3,000 miles from the nearest Tudors and I was doing fine until you mentioned their name.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sarern posted:

Current event: I live 3,000 miles from the nearest Tudors and I was doing fine until you mentioned their name.

Every three months, I resist the temptation to drive to Morgantown. (It is a 5 hour drive)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Who would have imagined that giving one of the richest companies in the world and the largest user of USPS zero taxes would allow them to fund their own gig economy delivery service and then stop using the USPS.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If only the USPS was in trouble due to spending all their op funds on stock buy backs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They kinda have, the republicans have been forcing them them blow a massive hole in their budget by overfunding their pension plan for about a decade as an effort to sabotage the one thing left people can point to and say the government does well

How Congress Manufactured A Postal Crisis

quote:

In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.

If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements, the Post Office would have reported operating profits in each of the last six years. This extraordinary mandate created a financial “crisis” that has been used to justify harmful service cuts and even calls for postal privatization. Additional cuts in service and privatization would be devastating for millions of postal workers and customers.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Man can you imagine the meeting that resulted in that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stravag posted:

Dont they not report a death as a covid death unless the person was tested for covid prior to the death? Its not like they have a surplus of tests so theyre using them only on some patients right?

CDC guidance specifically states to report deaths with a COVID-19 statement if the disease is considered the primary cause of death or a contributor, with or without a test.

Local compliance/enforcement is one thing but I’m not sure where the idea is coming from that there are stringent requirements for reporting a COVID-19 death.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-1-Guidance-for-Certifying-COVID-19-Deaths.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-2-New-ICD-code-introduced-for-COVID-19-deaths.pdf

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 10, 2020

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

That Works posted:

I teach a pseudoscience course for my college. I'm putting together a lecture for Tue about the hydroxychloroquine stuff to talk about what we know about the drugs, how they work, what do people think they do for Covid, introduce them to how we do clinical trials etc then just show the misinformation etc surrounding them vs the current knowledge. I had a student email me this morning asking about why the covid fatality % in the USA was lower than other places. I had never even considered it a possibility but now would be a little concerned that states who didn't enact covid policies quickly etc might try to juke their death totals in a way similar to what you mentioned above. I don't think NYC is doing this at all, but my trust is now so little that I almost expect states like FL, AL, AR etc to pull that poo poo to defray as much scrutiny.

What do you use to teach a pseudoscience class, is there a good textbook or something? Case studies? I’m interested in whatever resources you might have.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hannibal posted:

What do you use to teach a pseudoscience class

crystals and essential oils

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hannibal posted:

What do you use to teach a pseudoscience class, is there a good textbook or something?

Origin of Species :smuggo:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hannibal posted:

What do you use to teach a pseudoscience class, is there a good textbook or something? Case studies? I’m interested in whatever resources you might have.

It's exhausting mostly. No textbook. I do 2 lectures a week on a topic, 1 hard science lecture, 1 group discussion based lecture where each group brings in pseudoscience events, claims etc and we discuss a few representative ones for each lecture.

The 1st 2-3 weeks I have a philosophy prof come in and give some basic logic and rhetoric, introduce the class to logical fallacies etc. I give them a brief rundown of stats and how stats can be misused. I give a couple of lectures on immunology and vaccines and the other topics I try to have guest lectures by other professors in those fields. My intro lecture is on the earth being flat and then I work them through a bunch of examples of current flat earthers and explain Eratosthenes measurements.

I keep 2 weeks open for new topics each year as they get popular. Once we switched to online learning I dropped the nutrition pseudoscience week for some extra lectures on covid since there was tons of BS already (starting with Tom Cotton and bioweapons).

I dont have a lot of great resources but here's a (much better) syllabus and course description for a similar course at UW. I stole some of their reading materials for my own class, but they go more into the weeds (IMO) of science philosophy than I wanted to whereas mine is more immediate specific topic based.

https://callingbullshit.org/syllabus.html

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Individual national guard units don't deploy as often as active duty units. Now, there are some enablers or types of units that are basically 100% filled by national guard units, but they're individually on MUCH less frequent deployment timelines than active units.

NG aviation is on a constant deployment cycle. And since it's a smaller community, with people who stay longer in the organization, you get the same people deploying over over again as they move through units in the state while not being in the same individual unit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

NG aviation is on a constant deployment cycle. And since it's a smaller community, with people who stay longer in the organization, you get the same people deploying over over again as they move through units in the state while not being in the same individual unit.

Aviation is more tasked than most but their D2D doesn’t approach active, I wager. Could be wrong.

I live in the world of utterly bonkers D2D, though, where we perpetually break all of the supposed limits and other active units think our D2D must be made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Aviation is more tasked than most but their D2D doesn’t approach active, I wager. Could be wrong.

I live in the world of utterly bonkers D2D, though, where we perpetually break all of the supposed limits and other active units think our D2D must be made up.

What I will grant you is it may be more state by state, but in many states, especially in aviation, there isn't much upward mobility for aviators. So the commissioned guys keep getting shuffled around or reverting to Warrant, while the Warrants stay at the company level far basically their entire career. I'm a little bitter since I feel I got hosed a couple of times because the state can't manage their people, but that's more a trigger for me.

I do know that anytime we deploy usually have about twice the hour level of the active duty units, sometimes to the point where it gets a little comical. We literally had crews from a 3rd CAB assault company that were not allowed to land outside the wire on Medevac chase as a risk mitigator.

I will say that infantry units seem to have a much longer dwell time than active duty.