Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone secretly hoping they get the roni so they can wink and tell people they got a huge viral load ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean I wasn’t.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Anyone secretly hoping they get the roni so they can wink and tell people they got a huge viral load ?

Not worth the joke.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

wyoak posted:

deaths per square mile is a bad metric, deaths per 100k is the right thing to look at....and Bumfuck Idaho probably won't get hit as hard per capita as NYC by this once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully) pandemic, but rural areas suffer higher death rates from 'traditional' killers like heart disease and cancer.

Urban/rural is the wrong delineation, it's wealthy vs poor, just like everything else

Goon from Bumfuck Idaho checking in. I specifically live in Bonner County, home of Sandpoint, where that Bundy chucklefuck has been dicking around.
Rural areas are a mixed bag. Less population density. ~40k people in the county and less than a quarter of that live in town. I have a Sandpoint address, but live 15 miles out of town. We've had a delayed effect of getting to watch hot spots from a distance, so a lot more prep time here. We actually have a pretty modern hospital downtown and they have had testing and emergency facilities in place for a few weeks. We also have a pretty good blend of folks that can understand the need for safety, and piles of idiots that can only think of "my freedoms!"

Anyways, only 3 confirmed cases in the county so far. About one a week for the last 3 weeks. After this Easter weekend, I'll be watching the case numbers in the following two weeks to see how we go. I have a fear too many locals won't take things seriously and start meeting up for services and family this weekend.

I've been following the local counts here: http://panhandlehealthdistrict.org/covid-19/
Kootenai county is next door. Their count of 42 cases has been growing slowly but steadily so far.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

xfl being the most cursed league is hilarious

Looking forward to XFL round 3 in 2032 just before a meteor hits the earth.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bleusilences posted:

Another pet speculation is exactly what the other poster said and why I was freaking out about pollen the other day. What if the way it get worst is someone caught it by touching surfaces, they they start spreading it by talking and sneezing around other people and it go into the airway directly(throat and lungs for example) and that how the worst cases gets it?

the cases in China where young healthy doctors got seriously ill seemed to be related to them performing aerosolizing procedures on patients without adequate protection so yeah it does seem that if you deeply inhale a shitload of the virus you're going to have a bad time of it

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spinz posted:

Thank you for this post. Screenshotting to read to my mother the next time she asks to go to a grocery store.

I just realized that this means you'll need to explain to her what a virus laden aerosol plume is :allears:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Xibanya posted:

I've heard a theory that the severity of the infection may be related to level of exposure to virus, hence why HCW seem to get it really bad, and some people not bad at all.

I assumed it was because HCW are running themselves ragged, not getting enough sleep, probably not eating properly, and are generally walking shambles because of the increased caseloads and possibly hours. If you're healthy (no pre-existing health conditions) but you're in such a state that your body is essentially compromised, then it's likely to really take its toll on you. Does this sound plausible?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Blistex posted:

I assumed it was because HCW are running themselves ragged, not getting enough sleep, probably not eating properly, and are generally walking shambles because of the increased caseloads and possibly hours. If you're healthy (no pre-existing health conditions) but you're in such a state that your body is essentially compromised, then it's likely to really take its toll on you. Does this sound plausible?

That's how it work for the flu at least.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

As big and neat as it is I read that the lego star destroyer thing is just a ton of empty space inside, like there aren't any cool inside features like the Milenium Falcon or other sets have, it's all just braces and structural poo poo so it's sorta boring.

There's also a huge-rear end thread just about LEGO in the DIY forum if you've never ventured there, I don't post in it but people talk about sets and stuff there if you ever get the itch for it.

Yeah I've posted in it but I generally try and avoid it because every time I go in there I end up buying $300 of new LEGO sets.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My fever’s down substantially today, though yesterday it dropped before coming back decently (102.5) at night so who knows how that’ll go the rest of the day. Still can’t say more than a sentence without coughing up a lung for a bit, and when I do cough poo poo up it’s thicker than it was a day or two ago.

Holy poo poo I’m tired though. Slept ten lovely, broken hours last night and then slept for three hours this afternoon. It’s improvement but I really wish it would improve faster.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Xibanya posted:

I thought it hadn't been confirmed yet that you could catch it twice? The theory was that people who were thought to have caught it twice actually had one of this fucker's brainfuck false recovery periods?

I'm now way more invested in this than I was two weeks ago because I'd like to think once I shake this thing I'm out of danger. :stonklol:

There seems to be more evidence from South Korea that some people are getting reinfected:
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200410006500320

They are still trying to work out exactly what is going on with those cases though. It could be false negatives after a lull in symptoms and then another wave hits them. The article mentions they are doing some more thorough tests for antibodies etc.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My fever’s down substantially today, though yesterday it dropped before coming back decently (102.5) at night so who knows how that’ll go the rest of the day. Still can’t say more than a sentence without coughing up a lung for a bit, and when I do cough poo poo up it’s thicker than it was a day or two ago.

Holy poo poo I’m tired though. Slept ten lovely, broken hours last night and then slept for three hours this afternoon. It’s improvement but I really wish it would improve faster.

glad to hear you're on the upswing! keep that mucous expectorating

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the normal things guys

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Munin posted:

There seems to be more evidence from South Korea that some people are getting reinfected:
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200410006500320

They are still trying to work out exactly what is going on with those cases though. It could be false negatives after a lull in symptoms and then another wave hits them. The article mentions they are doing some more thorough tests for antibodies etc.

Fuckin' novel virus. Sometimes you just want to get exactly what you expect, even if it kinda sucks. This explains the continuing popularity of McDonald's, Applebees, and influenza.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

When I get to this point with ‘Pandemic’ the game, I wait for society to open up and pivot to a high mortality rate.

The next wave is going to be huge, and we won’t react fast enough in the US. A fast opening of the economy will kill so many people.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

When I get to this point with ‘Pandemic’ the game, I wait for society to open up and pivot to a high mortality rate.

The next wave is going to be huge, and we won’t react fast enough in the US. A fast opening of the economy will kill so many people.

To be honest, as much as I am morbid/curious to see what would happen, I wish that thing would cool down.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 10, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Ultimate Mango posted:

to be fair a good portion of the country has not really closed at all anyway

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

There was a point where most of the positive tests for the virus in New Zealand were coming from the US (we had cases coming in from NJ before it spread substantially to NYC). I'm mostly concerned that the US will open up and start infecting other countries again.

Of course I'm quite concerned that the number of deaths in the UK and the US are still increasing at an exceptional rate. Hopefully this will start decreasing soon.
https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Applesnots posted:

Pretty sure it has only been two weeks, but time is weird right now and my head hurts.
The Super Bowl was about 2 months ago.

From Chiefs winning to the NBA shutting down to Easter should be cancelled but nobody is listening in the span of 9 weeks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Curve not flattening so great in Reno yet

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hey the number of hospitalized is going down!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oh, it's because they died.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bleusilences posted:

Another pet speculation is exactly what the other poster said and why I was freaking out about pollen the other day. What if the way it get worst is someone caught it by touching surfaces, they they start spreading it by talking and sneezing around other people and it go into the airway directly(throat and lungs for example) and that how the worst cases gets it?

There was a chorus group in Washington who met up and sang together in a large room while keeping 6 ft apart, right as the stay at home stuff was starting there, and almost all of them came down with symptoms.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ultimate Mango posted:

The next wave or the other side of the peak is probably going to see much higher fatality rates considering they're burning through health care workers due to deaths or infections causing massive health issues. The more of them we lose, the less capable the care for those infected, and the higher the rate of fatalities from Covid and everything else. If there is a semi-functional healthcare system left in the US by this time next year, I will be surprised. (insert morbid joke that there wasn't one before the pandemic)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

i am harry posted:

There was a chorus group in Washington who met up and sang together in a large room while keeping 6 ft apart, right as the stay at home stuff was starting there, and almost all of them came down with symptoms.

singing is like as bad a coughing or sneezing i think its not the same as talking or breathing

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
talking loudly was apparently even worse than coughing was

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

singing is like as bad a coughing or sneezing i think its not the same as talking or breathing

You also breath nice and deep when you sing. Gets all these nice viruses well in there.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Standing together in a room for a long time while exhaling deeply doesn't prevent roni transmission ??

e: ^^^ what they said

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Things that make me mad:

People claiming that the death toll isn't accurate because some countries are listing deaths of people simply with Covid-19, but were not killed outright by it. Apparently if you have an existing condition and your body gives out while under attack from a virus, the virus didn't kill you it was the underlying condition.

Its such a loving weird point of contention.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm loving losing it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Natalie Fartman posted:

Things that make me mad:

People claiming that the death toll isn't accurate because some countries are listing deaths of people simply with Covid-19, but were not killed outright by it. Apparently if you have an existing condition and your body gives out while under attack from a virus, the virus didn't kill you it was the underlying condition.

Its such a loving weird point of contention.

Are these the people who do China’s yearly flu death reports?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The numbers are both true and not true until you open the box.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

bird with big dick posted:

Hey the number of hospitalized is going down!

bird with big dick posted:

Oh, it's because they died.
True, but it is a positive sign that the hospitals aren't filling up faster than people are dying in your area, any net drop in the number of hospitalizations is good for HCWs and new patients moving forward (unless it mean s a hospital burned down or something obv)

sample size is v small though

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm loving losing it.
*throws toilet paper roll against wall*
society ends NOW

naem
May 29, 2011

i’m bugging out a lil

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are these the people who do China’s yearly flu death reports?

no, randos on facebook I don't have the mental energy to argue with so I post about it here. Probably for the best.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
im poopin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

gary oldmans diary posted:

society ends NOW

gary oldmans diary posted:

society ends NOW

We no longer live in a society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in the bay area and haven't heard of a single person here with it that I know, or even a friend's friend with it.

A colleague is in Colorado and his over the road neighbor has it, and his mother just died of it, she was in a nursing home somewhere in the Midwest.

A friend fled NYC and went into quarantine in San Diego for 14 days and seems ok (yeah, I know, bad but I had nothing to do with it) He said "only crazy people walk around outside now in NYC. Also if you need any specific item you have to ship for it for 3-4 days in a row to be guaranteed to get it".

I know someone here in the bay area who has cancer and she insists on driving to her boyfriend's house to see him a couple of times a week. She has a roommate, the boyfriend has several. Boyfriend tried to get her to stop but she's like, "I have cancer. You need to support me." And screams and cries until he just gives in. Charming poo poo!