Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FRINGE posted:

Has anyone seen a license lose itself with a new proc on the same mobo?

No, but I've only done it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Has anyone seen a license lose itself with a new proc on the same mobo?
Even if there was somehow an activation problem, couldn't you just call them anyway?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klyith posted:

Could be? But I'd expect a HDD that was doing that would be dead by now. Or is this a SSD? There have been SSDs with firmware bugs that might do things like that.

Check reliability monitor (just type "reliability" in the start menu) to see if these issues are getting logged as major events. If there isn't anything related there, wait until the next one happens and then look at the event log (right click start -> event viewer) to see what just happened.

Thanks, will keep an eye out.

It's an hdd, btw.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Try using a different SATA cable before buying a new hard drive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's a laptop

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You say that like it means something

There are no spinning rust drives hooked up to M.2, so how else is a spinner going to get hooked up to a motherboard? A SATA cable.

Definitely not going to be one that looks like the desktop kind, but it's still a ribbon cable that connects both SATA and power. In fact, BECAUSE it's a laptop, it is even more suspect and subject to damage.

Try a different SATA cable.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 11, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I meant more that I'm not comfortable opening it up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If "pretty new" is within warranty, that's your best option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Under warranty till August, but now might not be the best time for servicing.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 11, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Under warranty till August, but now might not be the best time for servicing.

Do a backup and run chkdsk /r a couple of times.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You say that like it means something

There are no spinning rust drives hooked up to M.2, so how else is a spinner going to get hooked up to a motherboard? A SATA cable.

Definitely not going to be one that looks like the desktop kind, but it's still a ribbon cable that connects both SATA and power. In fact, BECAUSE it's a laptop, it is even more suspect and subject to damage.

Try a different SATA cable.

Have you been inside a laptop in the last 20 years? If it's even removable at all without disassembly, the "cable" you're referring to is run through the motherboard itself and the connector is mounted directly to the board. There's no "plug on one side, device on the other" setup in laptops anymore, as it's wildly inefficient for both space and power.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Every laptop I've opened up in the last decade has a little adapter piece that plugs directly into the drive and board, which is effectively "the cable" even though it's not a cable. I have no idea where to source a spare, though.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Javid posted:

Every laptop I've opened up in the last decade has a little adapter piece that plugs directly into the drive and board, which is effectively "the cable" even though it's not a cable. I have no idea where to source a spare, though.

Ebay. Every laptop part Ive had to replace there is some electronics part dealer that has one sitting a pile somewhere.

Just be VERY careful to match up the part numbers exactly, and triple check the one that shows up as far as you can. They all look alike, even to the people tracking and selling them apparently.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

AlexDeGruven posted:

Have you been inside a laptop in the last 20 years? If it's even removable at all without disassembly, the "cable" you're referring to is run through the motherboard itself and the connector is mounted directly to the board. There's no "plug on one side, device on the other" setup in laptops anymore, as it's wildly inefficient for both space and power.

As a matter of fact, yes. Eleven days ago, I installed a 1 TB SSD in 2.5" form factor into my laptop, because I had filled up the M.2 drive.

I acknowledge that my Dell 7577 is particularly well-engineered for basic poo poo like access to RAM, the battery, SSD, drives, mini-PCIe slot, and so forth.

But yes. It was so easy to access that it is more effort for me to unplug everything from my laptop just to plug everything back into it later just to prove you wrong, so I will obtain the image from Dell's website.

Ta-da~. Hard drive access with one screw for the back panel and another three to remove the battery.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ta-da~. Hard drive access with one screw for the back panel and another three to remove the battery.

I miss this.

A lot of the new ones are a nightmare.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah Dell is still really good about designing their stuff so you can get at replaceable parts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Upgraded my computer.

Trying to delete the old WindowsApps from the last install on my storage driver and Windows was just kicking and screaming the whole time. Wouldn't respect its own permission scheme, throwing confusing and contradictory errors like I need permission from myself to delete.

I make an Ubuntu live USB and it deletes it with no fight at all lol. Windows doesn't care it's gone, why should it since that was another install, and happily let me point Game Pass back at that drive and location.

I really don't get why Microsoft so zealously guards WindowsApps. I get locking it down, but why do you have to obfuscate what the hell is in there too?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 17, 2020

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
This reminds me, we had a server that had some weirdly named files on it's NTFS partition created by a virus. We just could not get them removed with any Windows tools.

Boot Linux, mount partition with NTFSG3 and it deleted them with no problems. Sometimes you just want stuff to just work.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This reminds me, we had a server that had some weirdly named files on it's NTFS partition created by a virus. We just could not get them removed with any Windows tools.

Boot Linux, mount partition with NTFSG3 and it deleted them with no problems. Sometimes you just want stuff to just work.

Prefixing the path with \\?\ works most of the time from the command line.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Using 7-Zip to delete the files instead of Explorer is another workaround.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

Prefixing the path with \\?\ works most of the time from the command line.

We tried some sysinternal tools, but these did not work also. So Linux it was. :)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Oh, I forgot that you also have to disable case insensitivity in Security Policy.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I hate this stupid OS

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
edit: doublepost

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The one that enrages me is that searching "update" will give me the update functions for a bunch of other programs but not windows frigging update

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The search function should learn with time; when I type update, it immediately highlights "Check for updates" on my PC.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

c0burn posted:

I hate this stupid OS

Honestly, life's too short to use the standard start menu. One install of classic shell later, and the os gets out of your way again. I'll never cease to be amazed by how much they screwed up one important basic part of the shell

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

The search function should learn with time; when I type update, it immediately highlights "Check for updates" on my PC.

It can't learn if you don't get to click the result you want. I got an icon on my desktop and unless I type the full title the start menu will absolutely not find it, instead offering up results that are in (in order of appearance as I type the title) downloads, programdata, documents, appdata, program files and then finally, by the time I've typed the full title, desktop.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

It can't learn if you don't get to click the result you want. I got an icon on my desktop and unless I type the full title the start menu will absolutely not find it, instead offering up results that are in (in order of appearance as I type the title) downloads, programdata, documents, appdata, program files and then finally, by the time I've typed the full title, desktop.

Mine seems to work (as soon as I type "up" it shows "Check for Updates) and for the most part I just type "sett" to get to Settings out of habit and then head to updates. I dont know if it is tracking use outside/past the initial search, but maybe it is?

On hundreds of machines now I have (luckily) rarely had it not find Settings.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Start search works massively better if you turn off web/bing searching.
Group policies: "Don’t search the web or display web results" and "Do not allow web search", or some reg keys

Also it doesn't just search the start menu, but all indexed files. So cutting back on how much stuff your windows search is indexing is a help. Settings -> type "indexing" in the search.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Search does a thing where typing a bit gets you a match (highlighting what you've typed in the name), and typing more of that name gets you a different result. So "u", "up", "upd", "upda" might give you different updater shortcuts depending on when you stop typing

Anything that gets less accurate the more information you give it is broken imo, and they should have fixed that by now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So there's an official beta release out for the 450 series NVidia driver that does the GPU hardware scheduling (on 20H1). It certainly appears smoother, especially when logging in and Windows doing its thing. In the past, the DWM occasionally locked up for fractions of a second, and poo poo like that. This stuff appears to be gone. Can't easily compare software vs. hardware scheduling, since switching the toggle requires a reboot to take.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

So there's an official beta release out for the 450 series NVidia driver that does the GPU hardware scheduling (on 20H1). It certainly appears smoother, especially when logging in and Windows doing its thing. In the past, the DWM occasionally locked up for fractions of a second, and poo poo like that. This stuff appears to be gone. Can't easily compare software vs. hardware scheduling, since switching the toggle requires a reboot to take.

This sounds very interesting; I've just updated to 2004, where can I find this driver? The advanced driver search on the Nvidia site doesn't show me any beta drivers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: derp, wrong thread.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 17, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lambert posted:

This sounds very interesting; I've just updated to 2004, where can I find this driver? The advanced driver search on the Nvidia site doesn't show me any beta drivers.
Bunch of details over on Guru3D: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-directx-ultimate-developer-preview-driver-450-82.431695/

Someone posted a mirror of the 64bit DCH driver, if you don't want an NVidia account or want to sign up for it

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ao529d3gxnan6mr/450.82_gameready_win10-dch_64bit_international.exe/file

Once installed, you need to go to the Graphics setting in the UWP Settings app. It'll want to reboot to apply the GPU scheduling. YMMV, because some people report choppy performance or getting stuck in high performance mode. I have none of that, but also checked the Clean Installation checkbox to be safe. I have yet to play games, tho.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

Search does a thing where typing a bit gets you a match (highlighting what you've typed in the name), and typing more of that name gets you a different result. So "u", "up", "upd", "upda" might give you different updater shortcuts depending on when you stop typing

Anything that gets less accurate the more information you give it is broken imo, and they should have fixed that by now

Launchy and/or Everything! ftw.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bunch of details over on Guru3D: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-directx-ultimate-developer-preview-driver-450-82.431695/

Someone posted a mirror of the 64bit DCH driver, if you don't want an NVidia account or want to sign up for it

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ao529d3gxnan6mr/450.82_gameready_win10-dch_64bit_international.exe/file

Once installed, you need to go to the Graphics setting in the UWP Settings app. It'll want to reboot to apply the GPU scheduling. YMMV, because some people report choppy performance or getting stuck in high performance mode. I have none of that, but also checked the Clean Installation checkbox to be safe. I have yet to play games, tho.

Thank you, I'll give it a go!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Did a short stint of Beat Saber with it. Means next to having two 1440p120 screens active (altho doing nothing), it's also rendering at 2468x2740 twice at 120 fps, and sending it to two 1440x1600 panels, without any stutter. So it can work fine.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I must be blind, where is the hardware scheduling option in the settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

Start search works massively better if you turn off web/bing searching.
Group policies: "Don’t search the web or display web results" and "Do not allow web search", or some reg keys

Also it doesn't just search the start menu, but all indexed files. So cutting back on how much stuff your windows search is indexing is a help. Settings -> type "indexing" in the search.

Didn't realize you couldn't disable Bing search through the regular settings.

e:actually, it looks like you used to be able to before the anniversary update