Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
fascism is an ideology that holds strong appeal for people other than straight white dudes, both historically and today. peoples' identity is an important thing about them but it isn't always the most important thing.

historically you need look no further than ernst rohm. of course, he was purged fairly early on but so were plenty of others

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mentioned Douglas Pearce because Death in June is a specific reference to the Night of the Long Knives. Some of these people fixate on that as when the dream died; fascism good but Hitler bad, we don't have to account for anything the Nazis actually did. It accords very well with that supremely elitist outsider power fantasy.

I admit I used to listen to too many podcasts from Zero Books and Dead Pundits and a few other people who were obsessed with the questions "Does Trump meet the dictionary definition of a fascist" and "What's wrong with the woke liberal left."

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Apr 10, 2020

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

It probably boils down to fascism being initially about aesthetics.

If you are susceptible to the aesthetics of it, then the fact that you would be first or second against the wall likely doesn't even factor into the rational. See all the hispanic Trump voters.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There's also racism. Being extremely online and into mmos and poo poo I've met too many of these people, and it almost always boils down to that. And of course most LGBT groups are rightfully going to kick your racist rear end out, so the only people they can be with are the ones who agree with them on that. That they would be killed in the ideal world they espouse doesn't cross their minds, because what's important to them is being able to say the n word.

e: oh and for all the crossdressers it's even weirder, as there's an undercurrent of hatred for trans women among them. Their ideology is that it's better to be a crossdresser than trans, with trans people being at the bottom of the fascist totem pole.

Eimi has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Apr 10, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
"At least I'm better than those _________s"

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

I'm sure the knife in the back play during sex is fanatic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4chan losers gonna 4chan lose

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The first person who comes to mind is Douglas Pearce of Death in June, who as far as I can tell is a genuine Strasserist. You reminded me of an old post in the industrial music thread which I think gives some insight into the mindset:

didn't DiJ and other artists from that scene originate in left wing politics before lurching hard right?

it's funny that Pearce seems to be the only one of those guys who is still fashy, Wakeford (who oddly enough was kicked out of DiJ for being too overtly fash in the 80s?) iirc said "yeah I was a dumbass back then and regret my involvement with the national front"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oops

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

saw some dude in a gas station wearing a button up shirt with norse symbols n poo poo on it and a car that had anime waifu stickers on the windows and a big FUELED BY ANIME TITTIES sticker on the bottom part of the windshield and though of this thread

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
people with gender dysphoria who hate themselves so they spend too much time on the internet, wind up on 4chan where they pick up loathsome ideas, and then the dysphoria gets to the point where they can no longer completely ignore it but now their sexuality is entwined with shame because they can't let go of the bigotries they've adopted, mostly racism but including homophobia or transphobia, so they'll always hate themselves

it's just fascists who happen to be trans / have GD. weird phenomenon

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

ugh. i'm listening to doug lain from zero books interviewing that andrew doyle douchebag, and some other anti-SJW dipshit, and he's not pushing back on their bullshit at all. this is david rubin level of uselessness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSAZbVwo_8E

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Lol that's what Zero Books does
i think zero books is some kind of platypus society / frustrated petty-booj academic leftcom thing that sees criticism of the left as the only political activity worthwhile, so it kinda spirals into that i think

Halloween Jack posted:

The first person who comes to mind is Douglas Pearce of Death in June, who as far as I can tell is a genuine Strasserist. You reminded me of an old post in the industrial music thread which I think gives some insight into the mindset:

All I can add to that is that when you feel marginalized, it's easy to give into these superheroic power fantasies of the pure enlightened ones forcing the world to be better, which easily shades into Nazism. Nagle made way too much of these people, as if the most brokebrained people in tumblr fandoms comprise a movement. But they do exist; I dated one for years.
i think you'd like this article:

https://twitter.com/cockydooody/status/1244778314792759296

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the nazi version of the soyface where u look like a clash of clans ripoff thumbnail

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think zero books is some kind of platypus society / frustrated petty-booj academic leftcom thing that sees criticism of the left as the only political activity worthwhile, so it kinda spirals into that i think

yea his poo poo is all really inside baseball left academia stuff. its weird that hes even slightly crossed over into left wing youtube

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Lol is zerobooks still platforming reactionaries? How useless.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it's doubly infuriating cause he just had michael brooks on the other day to mock the intellectual dork web, and he has tons of videos specifically criticizing jordan peterson, and then he platforms these morons while agreeing with them that the left sucks

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

didn't DiJ and other artists from that scene originate in left wing politics before lurching hard right?

it's funny that Pearce seems to be the only one of those guys who is still fashy, Wakeford (who oddly enough was kicked out of DiJ for being too overtly fash in the 80s?) iirc said "yeah I was a dumbass back then and regret my involvement with the national front"

I think the thing with the death in June guys (and a lot of LGBT “magikal” cryptofash artists) is that they are coming to Mystical Nazisim as an outgrowth of BDSM style power dynamics. So many neofolk/ industrial artists obsession with oppression and martyrdom seems like an attempt to interpret history in the context of DOM and SUB and since they already believe in kooky magic bullshit they think they can sublimate this into a personal transcendence. So typical third way bullshit but coming from people who have though way too hard about human sexuality and mysticism and don’t want materialism butting in AT ALL.

I Think this actually applies “leftist” groups like Coil, Current 93, and throbbing gristle (all have collaborated with cryptofash artists) too as many of them focus on the individual tragedy of the bound and whipped martyr.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I agree with this guy too

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Little lord fontlroy aristocrats cosplaying as the sexy boys who died for what they believed

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Eimi posted:

There's also racism. Being extremely online and into mmos and poo poo I've met too many of these people, and it almost always boils down to that. And of course most LGBT groups are rightfully going to kick your racist rear end out, so the only people they can be with are the ones who agree with them on that. That they would be killed in the ideal world they espouse doesn't cross their minds, because what's important to them is being able to say the n word.

e: oh and for all the crossdressers it's even weirder, as there's an undercurrent of hatred for trans women among them. Their ideology is that it's better to be a crossdresser than trans, with trans people being at the bottom of the fascist totem pole.

I'm still baffled by the fact that they all seem to pretend most fascists are what they appear to be in propaganda from the 30s-40s when they're trying to do thirst trap poo poo for the right, when in reality there's very very few attractive far-right people. I'm genuinely baffled by the ugliness of fascists since generic Republicans look about as good or bad as the average person is, but I have rarely seen an attractive alt-right/white nationalist/whatever the gently caress. Gavin McInnes has no chin, Matthew Heimbach looks like a human hedgehog, Richard Spencer is a pudgy boy with a dumbass Hitler hair-do, Nick Fuentes is a booger-eater and looks like the type of gamer who is only skinny by virtue of forgetting to eat when playing MMOs, and so on. It's like, gently caress, I'm not even claiming leftists or liberals are somehow more beautiful on average, I just feel like the people who have little going for them but the color of their skin join up with these right wing movements and there's a good chance that "little going for them" also includes personal beauty or willingness to groom themselves well or diet.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Leni Riefenstahl when filming triumph of the will complained that there was a critical lack of photogenic nazis and that she had to cover up all the ugly nazis with banners in shots.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

miniscule12 posted:

Leni Riefenstahl when filming triumph of the will complained that there was a critical lack of photogenic nazis and that she had to cover up all the ugly nazis with banners in shots.

Source?

Edit: Not disbelieving you. Just wanting to read it and laugh.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Samovar posted:

Source?

Edit: Not disbelieving you. Just wanting to read it and laugh.

I cannot for the life of me find it because google knows I'm typing no-no words into the search bar.

I remember the quote "pot bellies".

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this whole thread of some alt-right boy from massachusetts is kind of interesting in how we was trying to snitch on his old group

https://twitter.com/AntiFashGordon/status/1248514024972718080

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I think the thing with the death in June guys (and a lot of LGBT “magikal” cryptofash artists) is that they are coming to Mystical Nazisim as an outgrowth of BDSM style power dynamics. So many neofolk/ industrial artists obsession with oppression and martyrdom seems like an attempt to interpret history in the context of DOM and SUB and since they already believe in kooky magic bullshit they think they can sublimate this into a personal transcendence. So typical third way bullshit but coming from people who have though way too hard about human sexuality and mysticism and don’t want materialism butting in AT ALL.

I Think this actually applies “leftist” groups like Coil, Current 93, and throbbing gristle (all have collaborated with cryptofash artists) too as many of them focus on the individual tragedy of the bound and whipped martyr.

look, i just like current 93 because they play weird creepy satan music; i never looked into it too deeply

tho i guess you *would* have to be a bit fashy to get into aleister crowley that much, now that i think about it

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Current 93 has also worked with members from Crass, the prototypical anarcho-punk feminist anti-capitalist anti-fascist etc. group, so I figure Tibet just doesn't care too much aside from how it lets him experiment.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Members of crass also worked with the nazi guy from death in June. I’m just saying that that whole scene was made of posers obsessed with the aesthetics of marginalized “elite” ideologies and mystical poo poo and “real politics” a distant afterthought.

Crass also published conflict on their label and the guy also went fash in short order.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was more radical left wing energy in lunkhead groups like Discharge and Motörhead than the entirety of the Anarcho-punk scene which was by and for rich kids with a fetish for lecturing the peasants.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't disagree.

Especially regarding Motörhead and basically all the dis* bands.

Another fun example of an anarcho punk who turned hard right is Rob Miller from Amebix and Tau Cross. Started out hardcore anarchist, no borders, no gods, no masters, to now being all "it's the Jews!" and spreading various conspiracy theories.

KozmoNaut has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Apr 12, 2020

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
well, whatever their politics are, i got a nice playlist worked up, so thanks for that anyway

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Current 93 would get on stage and blame jews for everything, gently caress that band.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also gently caress you Burzum

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Siljmonster posted:

also gently caress you Burzum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zAI5xCTx9c

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That article brought it up but the good news about neofolk and industrial bands is you don’t need to worry about them since they only appeal to wimpy liberal new-age nerds who like to pose as transgressive, while the real violent right wing power of the country is broadcast every day on its most popular news channel.

So I don’t think you really need to self-crit too hard about enjoying a skinny British guy moan about ruins.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

So I don’t think you really need to self-crit too hard about enjoying a skinny British guy moan about ruins.

well thanks, i feel a lot better

also, lmao

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
who gives a poo poo about any of those bands lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

isn't McInnes a millionaire? of all the people here, why does he keep tripping over his dick to grift

also lmao do they feed Milo table scraps in a bowl with his name on it

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
coke isnt cheap and all the Vice Media has-beens probably still do it by the kilo to pretend like they're still in their early 20s

shane smith is probably actually a billionaire though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
You should feel bad if you listen to fascist music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Ministry and KMFDM have always been aggressively antifascist so just listen to them