Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

went to the shop earlier on and everyone was very good about queuing outside and toeing the big yellow lines, though as soon as you actually get indoors the big arrows may as well not exist and any attempt to maintain distance is foiled by people taking up half an aisle with their trolley as they paw through all the tinned tomatoes for 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Britane leads the world.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
and bojo will live to see it, so proud

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think it all helps

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Marmaduke! posted:

It's quite impressive seeing the news saying we've had 9000 deaths and the global death toll has now surpassed 100,000. So at this rate in a day or two our little nation will be able to claim 10% of the global deaths from coronavirus.

The worst part is we have a really good healthcare system, it's just that we piss-arsed away 6 days at the start.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

The worst part is we have a really good healthcare system, it's just that we piss-arsed away 6 days at the start.

This reminds me of all my uni coursework. And every professional project I've ever worked on. Especially the government military ones.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This reminds me of all my uni coursework. And every professional project I've ever worked on. Especially the government military ones.

Oh no, worse that evil heartless bastards, we're ruled by incompetent middle managers who are also evil heartless bastards!

But yeah, the government thought they could get away with an incredibly damaging virus killing a lot of people as a coping strategy and wasted all the extra time we could have prepared. I mean it doesn't really explain quite why we're the worst in Europe by itself but that's a huge part.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 10, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Mondoweiss/status/1248702324396232710?s=19

Good job, guys.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1248734483190288384

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he hasn't seen love actually then what in the gently caress was that election advert? Is there no end to his lies?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Isolation boredom has led me to completing my saddest project yet, by quite some margin

Get it here

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It says you're unsafe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone with a tweeter please tweet it at newton dunn.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Is it too late for Johnson to relapse and die? I've changed my mind about seeing him survive to stand trial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you take the long view it's almost certain that he will.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Strange Old Catholic trivia is also something I'd trust Jesuits to know more than most about. That and seismology.
That, as a propoganda arm of the Vatican, is exactly what they want you to do! More seriously, they are liable to neglect/warp any pre-Christian roots for the belief/behaviour which is what I'd be after.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure I read that the belief of the time was that simultaneously with the earthly action of throwing lit wicks or rose petals through the hole, there was a very real (at least as real as the belief in actual bodily resurrection and the intercession of the saints, not just theatrical or symbolic) descent of the actual Holy Ghost specifically through that hole, as upon the Apostles at Jerusalem, but I can't find further evidence of that. Maybe the Reverend from the gay capital has written more about that.
My original quibble was over claiming that believers saw the Spirit hole as the only entrance into the building for said spirit, as opposed to a focus (symbolic and actual) for a feast day celebrating an original (foundational even) descent of same. Might try and get Weiser's book from a library sometime - from the back blurb he also explains the origins of Hallowe'en masks and jack-o-lanterns, not to mention "stories of the great fertility rites that culminated in the religious feasts of Thanksgiving, from the Martin's goose of the Middle Ages to the roast turkey of today." Want to read a 50s Catholic on Hallowe'en and prehistoric fertility rites (book first published in '56), bound to be bonkers.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

Someone with a tweeter please tweet it at newton dunn.

done!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thank you for your service.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Shush he might still be good give him a chance.

It's gonna be more systemically pathetic and more profoundly cruel than we feared lads.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

lol this owns

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be perhaps more charitable to starmer than is deserved, the source for the making anti-zionism antisemitism is his signing up to the BoD pledges, which we already knew. The "support for zionism without qualification" is the "new" bit being from the day of his win.

So yeah I don't doubt he'd do it but it's not necessarily a new explicit claim from him.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's tick box bullshit that Corbyn should have just dive and didn't matter at all. I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand getting the UK involved in a war in support of Israel would give the labour right the biggest hard on imaginable so it doesn't bode super well for the UK's foreign policy.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's tick box bullshit that Corbyn should have just dive and didn't matter at all. I think.

The article linked is written in that insufferable irony way, it's unreadable, but if he is straight up saying anti-zionism = anti-semitism as the new Labour policy then that isn't tickbox bullshit that's an actual assault on basic liberalism and literally the enlightenment and it's a formal endorcement of genocide.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being a complete melt he's probably waiting for the EHRC report before he really leans into that as he likely thinks it will give him more justification for any action he wants to take. Would be a good opportunity to start purging the party if he is so inclined.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

The article linked is written in that insufferable irony way, it's unreadable, but if he is straight up saying anti-zionism = anti-semitism as the new Labour policy then that isn't tickbox bullshit that's an actual assault on basic liberalism and literally the enlightenment and it's a formal endorcement of genocide.

I have no idea. If that's true. He should just change his mind if it ever crops up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Remember when he promoted a Nazi conspiracy theory?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So where does that leave all the anti-Zionist Jewish groups?

EmptyVessel posted:

That, as a propoganda arm of the Vatican, is exactly what they want you to do! More seriously, they are liable to neglect/warp any pre-Christian roots for the belief/behaviour which is what I'd be after.
Sure, I'm not going to trust their word unreservedly on anything related to Gnostic or non-Pauline Christianity, or anything vaguely Pagan, Jewish, or Unitarian, but if it's something weird about the RC Church itself that they'd have no particular reason to lie about like ghost holes, and it's backed up by Anglicans and American Superprotestants alike then it has some credibility as a thing that may have happened.

The whole thing probably comes from the oculus of the pre-Christian domes like the Pantheon, but I've no idea how much spiritual significance and how much useful lighting fixture that was.

Unless the whole thing is by the fevered imagination of one Jesuit priest in the 50s. I'd like to visit Canterbury cathedral and ask at some point, that'd be an interesting way to add another source (or find out if it's complete crank territory).

EmptyVessel posted:

Want to read a 50s Catholic on Hallowe'en and prehistoric fertility rites (book first published in '56), bound to be bonkers.
:same:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

They're *checks notes* anti-Semitic, OP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I believe the BoD position is that they aren't real jews.

Like you need the loving nintendo seal of approval or something.

farenheit451
Mar 1, 2009
burning the books since 1984!
[delurk]
Given that we don't test/scan/quarantine arrivals from our airports (at least in England), and these places handle tens of thousands of passengers per day, and that our airports remain open, how does the thread feel how effective the stay-at-home policy will actually be?

I'm starting to think the entire thing (closing of things, prohibition of sunbathing, even the 2m distance) is just theatre.

Places like Taiwan have got on top of this. 5 deaths? How accurate is that. Places like that stopped all incoming flights didn't they? Or made arrivals having at least 14 day isolation mandatory.
[/lurk]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reducing people's ability to be in contact with each other reduces their ability to spread it to other people or contract it, so it will likely have some effect. However because it was so delayed a lot of people will have gone home to infect their families so it will be far less effective than a similar policy done earlier.

Also the lack of closure of many workplaces and lax enforcement on public contact with others means it's probably not going to be very good for that reason too.

Too little, too late, deaths likely to be highest in europe by a large margin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Reducing people's ability to be in contact with each other reduces their ability to spread it to other people or contract it, so it will likely have some effect. However because it was so delayed a lot of people will have gone home to infect their families so it will be far less effective than a similar policy done earlier.

Also the lack of closure of many workplaces and lax enforcement on public contact with others means it's probably not going to be very good for that reason too.

Too little, too late, deaths likely to be highest in europe by a large margin.

It's been projected that the UK is going to have 40% of deaths in Europe. Every single one of them will be the fault of the Tories.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

self-hating jews obviously

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And we get to watch kier starmer ask when the tories are going to get us all back to work.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's been projected that the UK is going to have 40% of deaths in Europe. Every single one of them will be the fault of the Tories.

Where's this?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I remember watching a labour party conference maybe two years ago and seeing Corbyn explicitly stating recognition of Palestine and objecting to Israeli apartheid as policies. Huge standing ovation. I remember seeing that and feeling just for a second that there might be some hope for the future.

lol

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Sun front page is insane, as in I genuinely think the people responsible for it are severely mentally ill:

Like, I think it’s undeniable that there is part of that that is the paper (and by extension what the public assumed the public believe) is literally calling Johnson “babe”. And the idea that anyone in the whole country is in any way invested in these two people’s relationship - including the couple themselves- is fundamentally bizarre. Who is this even for? Plenty of idiots like Boris, but this is acting like he’s Princess Diana or something.

At least the Guardian is finally acknowledging that it’s notable that shitloads of people are dying:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Angrymog posted:

On a related note, anyone think there's going to be a massive spate of car accidents once everyone is driving again?

Given how badly I’ve seen people driving while on my commute that didn’t end up as nasty accidents because there is no traffic around, I think you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just ate my last piece of Camrath fudge and it was loving great