Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
So after plunking the money down in... January was it? Feels like a lifetime ago... the Wavestate arrived in the mail today. I might be at the mercy of presets for the foreseeable future but they are pretty digital pads for sure. Even just paging through them gave a couple cool ideas, but I'll have to dig more once I'm done the work from home stuff today.

A couple points so far:

1) If there was any synth by them that could use an actual hard copy manual, this would be one.
2) Their shift/function key is in a really dumb place. Like seriously, separate that from the mess of config buttons.
3) I guess if there's any good time to try and learn a synth, now would be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Keep posting your learnings!

I can live vicariously through you!

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Thanks for that, I came to similar conclusions. I really want the MODX for the FM synth and the new pattern sequencer and many other goodies (really, the mind boggles with that thing and its the simple version of the MONTAGE jfc) and I can pick up a P-125 for 88key practice at a vastly cheaper outlay than the Juno or MX, and it has just enough usability to record audio/MIDI performances to a computer which is the most I care about for that kind of thing.

Listen to LaserJet 4P :)

I have a Montage, and I absolutely can't see my life without one. But the MODX is a God drat monster in its own right. Go MODX if you don't want to shell out for a Montage.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

stillvisions posted:

2) Their shift/function key is in a really dumb place. Like seriously, separate that from the mess of config buttons.

Similarly, I’m not a fan of having enter and cancel on the same button.

Also, the double-tap for shift function feature would be great if it actually worked for everything.

The Wavestate does some pretty unique stuff, but it can be infuriating to use.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
For the worker's party bonerjam. Not sure where to take it from here, so this might be the end product. https://soundcloud.com/nateshap/capitalism-is-a-ok-yall

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah. Drop the volume on the eat the rich sample so it isn't twice as loud as everything else, stick a fork in it and call it done.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If your tracks are done, render them to a .wav or a .flac or some sort of LOSSLESS format. Zip them up with a text file, how you want to be credited, name of the song, any track notes or thank yous or whatever, them upload the zip to mediafire or dropbox or something.

If you have problems figuring any of that out, ask.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dick, you have an e-mail address? I want to buy you a plat cert.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Absolutely no point. The Bernie or Bust toxx spells the end of this account.

If you need to send private messages to Mr. Dick, soundlcloud messages are fine.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Dick posted:

Absolutely no point. The Bernie or Bust toxx spells the end of this account.

If you need to send private messages to Mr. Dick, soundlcloud messages are fine.

They're just bans, right? You can unban yourself for ten bucks and then use the cert to get plat (or get it back, whichever)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ill cover your re-reg+extras when the time comes, or can cert you now, thanks for putting this together and thanks to lowtax for keeping this dumb forum open so long

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r7b3sx3n11o7wvf/EBB_Bonerjam_April_2020.rar/file

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ableton is on sale

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

EBB posted:

Ableton is on sale

This usually signals a new version. I wonder if a Push 3 is coming as well?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

magiccarpet posted:

This usually signals a new version. I wonder if a Push 3 is coming as well?

I think the current discount is part of a "stay home, make music" push like a lot of other companies are doing. They've extended the time of the Live Suite trial to 90 days also, and are giving away their ebook and some other stuff:

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/ideas-offers-making-music-home/

I had been hoping they might announce something about a Push 3 at Loop this month, but since that's cancelled, I dunno. That website does indicate they'll be doing live streams and posting info on April 24-26, so maybe there will be something then? Fingers crossed.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I'm curious what everyone would love to see in the Push3. The #1 thing on my list is better support for the Arrangement view. I primarily use the Push2 in session mode and tend to move to the computer keyboard when arranging. Do you think they will stick with the Push just being a controller or are they going to add a bunch of new features like putting an audio interface on it and a couple inputs a la the Akai Force.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I upgraded from Lite to Suite in March, figuring I was getting locked down and was going to be making lots of beeps. I emailed Ableton last night and they refunded me $95, which is pretty awesome if you ask me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

McCoy Pauley posted:

I think the current discount is part of a "stay home, make music" push like a lot of other companies are doing. They've extended the time of the Live Suite trial to 90 days also, and are giving away their ebook and some other stuff:

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/ideas-offers-making-music-home/

Yup.
Sonible & Focusrite's Balancer Plugin is free. https://www.sonible.com/balancer/

Logic Pro X is free for 90 days, Pro Tools is fre for 90 days, Ableton Suite 10 is free for 90 days, Reaper 6 is free until June, Moog's minmoog ios app, and RolandZenbeats app are free, Arturia iSpark and Pigments have free trials, KV331’s SynthMaster One is free (this is a good one), Soundtoys effect rack plugin, AS-16 Sequencer rack, Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular, and Serato Studio is now free.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/coronavirus-giveaways-the-best-free-software-and-services-for-musicians

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Quick question: what laptops are you guys using? My laptop just croaked so I'm in shopping mode. Looking for something in the $800ish range.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yup.
Sonible & Focusrite's Balancer Plugin is free. https://www.sonible.com/balancer/

Logic Pro X is free for 90 days, Pro Tools is fre for 90 days, Ableton Suite 10 is free for 90 days, Reaper 6 is free until June, Moog's minmoog ios app, and RolandZenbeats app are free, Arturia iSpark and Pigments have free trials, KV331’s SynthMaster One is free (this is a good one), Soundtoys effect rack plugin, AS-16 Sequencer rack, Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular, and Serato Studio is now free.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/coronavirus-giveaways-the-best-free-software-and-services-for-musicians

Nice -- thanks. I had been looking for a collection of all the ongoing deals and hadn't come across that one yet.

Now to mull over whether to go ahead and upgrade Ableton Standard to Suite, having only just upgraded from Lite to Standard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

a mysterious cloak posted:

Quick question: what laptops are you guys using? My laptop just croaked so I'm in shopping mode. Looking for something in the $800ish range.

P-p-p-p-PowerBook M-m-m-m-MacBook Pro (from 2013)

There’s a new MacBook Air with a quad core i5 and 16gb of RAM for ~$1000 with edu discount ($1100 without). If that’s too dear, a new dual core i3 model can be had for $800 with discount ($900 without) and I’d probably get that instead of a refurbished/NOS 2018 model or older.

I don’t really gently caress with PC laptops so I can’t help you there but I’m sure there’s a well-rated Dell (maybe not XPS) or Lenovo YOGA or whatever that people think is good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Is there any substantial reason for you to not use a desktop? The price/performance ratio and ease of use (two big rear end monitors, an actual mouse instead of a trackpad) recommend it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I will still use a desktop, but I like to drag the laptop and Keystep around. It would be at work with me right now, but my old Acer laptop is on its last legs. I tried opening Pigments on Tuesday and it sort of went "Uuhhhhgggggghhhh..." and loaded it about 5 minutes later. And that's after I formatted and reinstalled windows and a few apps.

Plus my kid is doing school from home, and the old laptop won't play Modern Warfare, so... it's a struggle with a 14 year old. But I sympathize, because the poor kid is stuck at home and really misses his friends a lot. So I let him have the desktop most of the time.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I did this recently... I'm not particularly proud of it.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/eating-shredded-cheese-out-of-the-bag

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I will still use a desktop, but I like to drag the laptop and Keystep around. It would be at work with me right now, but my old Acer laptop is on its last legs. I tried opening Pigments on Tuesday and it sort of went "Uuhhhhgggggghhhh..." and loaded it about 5 minutes later. And that's after I formatted and reinstalled windows and a few apps.

Plus my kid is doing school from home, and the old laptop won't play Modern Warfare, so... it's a struggle with a 14 year old. But I sympathize, because the poor kid is stuck at home and really misses his friends a lot. So I let him have the desktop most of the time.

If budget is the biggest concern, I’d use the quarantine as an excuse to help your 14 year old make his own budget gaming rig (bonus points if you make him use Linux for the first while, I’m p sure cod works on it great IIRC) and take back your desktop.

You can get a wiped Dell Optiplex on eBay from 2013 with a 4770 in it for $150-200 depending on whether you want the seller to toss in any RAM/HDD/OS/etc. Drop 8-16gb of RAM, a <$50 SSD, and something like a GTX 1060 in that sucker and you’ve got a stew, baby surprisingly capable 1440p gaming machine for <$350 and a son who has learned some good fundamental computer skills and probs thinks you’re the best dad ever.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

I was shopping for Windows laptops over the winter, for use with DAWs and recording guitars/bass/keyboards with an audio interface, and ended up going with a Thinkpad P73, which depending on specs is probably north of what you're looking to spend, but a smaller Thinkpad might be closer, depending on which line and how you spec it out. Lenovo also seems to have sales all the time, and it seems not infrequent that some of their laptops are available at half off.

The main thing for a windows machine, I think, would be to make sure you have at least 8GB, but ideally 16GB, of RAM, an SSD, and a decently fast processor. I liked the P line of the Thinkpad because it had room to expand with more SSDs inside if I wanted, and the RAM can be upgraded, but neither of those is really critical, particularly with an external SSD for library files. When I was looking at laptops, I was worried about latency in recording, which seems like it can be an unsolvable problem on some laptops, in sort of hard to predict ways (which ways are probably even harder to predict for your person use case, since depending on what kind of audio interface you use, you may not have the same issues as another person). Anyway, in looking at a lot of laptops, I checked out reviews on https://www.notebookcheck.net/ when I could find them, because that site generally included results from a LatencyMon test among their other specs they tested, and that seemed helpful.

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with the Thinkpad, using Cubase and Ableton and recording into a Steinberg UR44. I could imagine any changes in software or hardware could provide different results, so I'm not sure I'd promise it's any kind of universal experience. But at least as one data point, it's been solid for me.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Ok Comboomer posted:

P-p-p-p-PowerBook M-m-m-m-MacBook Pro (from 2013)

There’s a new MacBook Air with a quad core i5 and 16gb of RAM for ~$1000 with edu discount ($1100 without). If that’s too dear, a new dual core i3 model can be had for $800 with discount ($900 without) and I’d probably get that instead of a refurbished/NOS 2018 model or older.

I don’t really gently caress with PC laptops so I can’t help you there but I’m sure there’s a well-rated Dell (maybe not XPS) or Lenovo YOGA or whatever that people think is good.

Second the MBA. I'm using a last rev Air, insane battery life, does whatever, goes wherever. Works great with thunderbird UADs even through the adapter thing. To be honest, I upgraded for the resolution, my last generation 11" Air was a champ too (w/ a replacement SSD).

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I got a Hydrasynth Keyboard model for my birthday from my girlfriend. It’s funny because when I first heard about I thought killer, get that immediately, somehow find space for it. Then months went on and like the hype died down and I kind of went to thinking yeah, it’s probably pretty good.

It is not just pretty good. It is a dream machine. It is the expressive, soaring, totally intuitive monster I have been searching for. It took me a whole fortnight to go through the presets because there are a lot of them and I kept getting caught up and losing myself in them - with poly aftertouch and the ribbon controller every patch has so much to explore.

Doing sound design on it is wonderful. Instead of menu diving, it had a bunch of rotary encoders that light up their positions and beautiful OLED labels that shift their context around. Then it has a diagram made of buttons on the right of all the components of your patch, like an anatomy. You hit the button for LFO5, the main controls are all about that now, and there’s a big oscilloscope render for that LFO so you can visualise it as well as hear it. It looks like a nuclear weapons console and it plays like one, too.

The one thing that I found disappointing was, although there are several points you can inject noise there is only three types of noise. Pretty silly but I just couldn’t find a noise that fit my patch. This was a discovery I made yesterday. This morning a patch was released to add four more noise types as well as a phase difference mutator.

Clearly my mind was read. Somehow at this point I am not surprised; that’s what the Hydrasynth does. So I thought hey people should know how loving terrific it is in case people are like me and thought that the lack of constant hype meant it was mediocre. It is not mediocre, it is insanely great.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

If budget is the biggest concern, I’d use the quarantine as an excuse to help your 14 year old make his own budget gaming rig

That would be fun! However, I'm a nurse so work is slightly hectic right now, and that's more a project for normal times.

Unfortunately I'm not really interested in Macs, although I know they're wildly popular for music production and such.

chaosbreather posted:

I got a Hydrasynth Keyboard model for my birthday from my girlfriend.

Man, you're making it hard to resist sneaking one into the house...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Man, you're making it hard to resist sneaking one into the house...

A girlfriend?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Gotta be careful, don't want the synths to get jealous

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That would be fun! However, I'm a nurse so work is slightly hectic right now, and that's more a project for normal times.

Unfortunately I'm not really interested in Macs, although I know they're wildly popular for music production and such.

Eh, never too old to try that particular swirl. I mean, if you're already thinking about taking on a mistress--

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.udemy.com/course/music-theory-for-electronic-music-complete-parts-1-2-3/

thoguts?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sure! Probably worth it for $11

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I suppose it'd be hard to not get $11 worth of value out of it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

P' sure I've got at least one steam game I picked up for $11 and have never, ever played. Get a deep enough queue and it can actually be very easy to get no use out of things you spend money on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh you’re talking to the master on that front

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

I went through this course, it’s a great deal at this price. It helped me finally connect the dots and make the leap from preset surfing to designing patches from scratch. Definitely worth checking out!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That’s positive to know, cheers

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

That’s positive to know, cheers

somewhat off topic but i didn't want to go back to the green forum to dig up that thread, but thanks for introducing me to give blender a short btw. my eldest is now making a donut.

as for theory: some people on youtube do a pretty bad job of it because they don't use the right terminology, this is mostly important if you want to talk to other music theory people.

fwiw, something like http://openmusictheory.com/ also explains things, but without the sound. arguably the biggest advantage of spending slightly more than :10bux: is having stuff read to you so you can put it on in the background and pick it up subliminally.

ultimately, i don't think there's an escape hatch where you don't have to learn how to read a score. even a chord is a shorthand for several notes that you'd otherwise dump in a score, and for people who play jazz it's an indication, not necessarily "well i have to play this poo poo exactly". if you're looking for "how do i spice up poo poo with 7th and 9th chords and substitutions" you'll need either adam neely or folks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPk5cz_9KM who show you the actual notes you have to play. then it's a matter of getting fluent enough to understand what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

no experience with that course, but for what it’s worth i took a theory class in college and studied the textbook extensively after, but reading “music theory for computer musicians” by michael hewitt was what actually put anything i thought i had learned into simple, usable terms. not necessarily helpful in this situation, but it’s a drat good book.