Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashex posted:

I have a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR that I've been reluctant to give up after switching to mirrorless and I want to try using it with my XT20.

I'm digging around looking at adapter rings and I was wondering if anyone could confirm that I'd be able to control the aperture with one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OONK89W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.adorama.com/kafjxnkg.html

Yes. The throw is really short but they generally work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yep, don’t pay $300 for it though. You can get a mint used one for like $150. Great, small, lightweight lens. My only complaint about it is the “power” zoom ring. The 18-55/2.8-4 would also be a good choice. Under $300 used.

The 18-55 will be a much much better investment than the XC zooms.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

powderific posted:

Yes. The throw is really short but they generally work fine.

Awesome, ordered the k&f. I realised how much I missed it while trying to photograph the supermoon, won't be the same if it was on a nikon but definitely better than my current lenses.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 9, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was thinking about finding a Nikon to Sony adapter for my 80-200 but I feel like I rely on autofocus too much to give that up. Just saving for the Sony equivalent now and whoo boy.. I might tap out at the f/4 instead :haw:

Also going back to screw-drive AF after experiencing what I can only describe as "magic" autofocus of my 24-105 f/4 is... something else.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I had the rokkor 70-210 f/4 for a while and used it on my a7ii. It was okay and all, but my pea brain really didn't enjoy manually focusing with a zoom. Think I'll stick to old primes.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I think the only reason (besides how sharp it is) I kept it is that the zoom and focus was so smooth even in manual. If it doesn't work out I've still got an adapter I can use with old nikon g lenses.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Martytoof posted:

I was thinking about finding a Nikon to Sony adapter for my 80-200 but I feel like I rely on autofocus too much to give that up. Just saving for the Sony equivalent now and whoo boy.. I might tap out at the f/4 instead :haw:

Also going back to screw-drive AF after experiencing what I can only describe as "magic" autofocus of my 24-105 f/4 is... something else.

You could get the new Tamron 70-180.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, didn't realize they'd announced that. I'm plenty happy with the reach of my 24-105 for MOST things so probably not enough to double-up on 70% of the zoom range tbh. My next buy will probably be an ultrawide, or just a nice nifty-fifty equivalent for some good ole fashioned smaller-lens street.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Also - why, seemingly, are only the Panasonic cameras really rated as dustproof / weatherproof? Just noticed the Panasonic Lumix 80 mp (?!?) high res mode and seemingly decent image stabilization stuff now.
Note that 'weatherproofing' is a completely undefined term that means whatever the manufacturer's marketing department wants it to mean. There aren't any objective measures of how weatherproof something is unless it actually has a depth rating like a diver's watch. Most of the time, it means there are extra grommets around buttons and port covers, but you can often see teardown videos where cameras that are listed as being weatherproof still have some case openings that aren't sealed.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Olympus lists IP ratings for at least some of their cameras: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code but if you read what the definitions are it certainly doesn't sound that impressive. Like, their flagship is IPX1 which is water dripping on it for 10 minutes. Woohoo. But I'm sure it can handle way more than that. And the dust prevention ratings for the IP thing don't seem that useful in the context of cameras. My anecdotal evidence is that Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Pentax all have good weather sealing. Not sure on Fuji or Panasonic, and Sony's early weather sealed MILCs were not very well sealed, but I think they got better.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My experiences is Fuji and Nikon are both great. Last winter, I accidentally dropped my Z6 into about two feet of snow. Practically buried with snow packed into the EVF and all around dials and lens mount. Worked without issue.

Got rained on plenty of times with my previous X-H1, and that didn’t miss a beat either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

powderific posted:

Olympus lists IP ratings for at least some of their cameras: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code but if you read what the definitions are it certainly doesn't sound that impressive. Like, their flagship is IPX1 which is water dripping on it for 10 minutes. Woohoo. But I'm sure it can handle way more than that. And the dust prevention ratings for the IP thing don't seem that useful in the context of cameras. My anecdotal evidence is that Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Pentax all have good weather sealing. Not sure on Fuji or Panasonic, and Sony's early weather sealed MILCs were not very well sealed, but I think they got better.

If you've ever got some grit in the spinny bits of a lens, I'd say dust sealing is actually a lot more important than water sealing. My partner's canon 70d isn't anything proof, nor is her 400mm f5.6 and they've been rain-soaked a ton and it was only a flooded backpack that finally killed the body.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I meant the dust sealing IP ratings, not dust sealing in and of itself. The first few IP dust ratings are about whether you can stick like a whole hand or just a finger inside the thing, and the only two ratings for dust are “some can get in” and “none can get in.”

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ve been pretty impressed by my X-T2’s ability to withstand rain, as well as the 35 & 23mm f/2s’ invulnerability to dust intrusion. Every other lens that I’ve carried everywhere and not kept in a sealed bag has ended up with lots of internal dust on the glass, but those two still pass the pen light test after like three years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly misses the boat on quite a few things but the torture tests of their bodies and pro lenses is impressive as hell. I've run their stuff through hell at those spartan races and none of them skipped a beat. The 40-150mm f/2.8 is drat near bulletproof.

And yeah I think we're at the point that anything past the standard cheap kit lenses can stand up to rain fine, but you really don't want a bunch of grit and dust in there.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have a Fuji XT-10 with the XF 35mm 1.4, and while I love the lens, i'm always wishing it was a little wider. There's kind of a ton of lens options in the 18 to 23mm range for Fuji, so it's been difficult to decide. Am I a dummy for not just picking up an XF 18-55 2.8-4 ? It's like 1/2 the cost of going with the 23mm 1.4, which would be my ideal choice, but is' spendy and a heck of a lot bigger.

Here's everything i've been considering:

18-55MM F/2.8-4 XF R - By all accounts very good, cheapest option - $280
XF 18mm f2 - Super small, but I haven't heard good things. ~$340
XF 23mm 1.4 - Very well regarded, expensive, heavy - $600
XF 23mm f2 - Also well regarded. Light weight - $340

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What about the 16mm F2.8? I feel like 23mm will only be one "step" wider as it were at 35mm equivalent where the 16 is 24mm equivalent which will give you a lot more. The 18-55 might be a good choice to figure out what your favorite FoV is.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

What about the 16mm F2.8? I feel like 23mm will only be one "step" wider as it were at 35mm equivalent where the 16 is 24mm equivalent which will give you a lot more. The 18-55 might be a good choice to figure out what your favorite FoV is.

Oooh, that looks nice too. I didn’t realize Fuji had released another wide prime recently. I’ll give it a look, thank you!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

frogbs posted:

Oooh, that looks nice too. I didn’t realize Fuji had released another wide prime recently. I’ll give it a look, thank you!

I would give it a look — it’s in the same price range as the 23 f/2, same sort of qualities (sharp across the range, fast the focus, weatherproof and very small) while being appreciably wide.

sample image I took, 16 f/2.8 on an X-T20

I would also strongly consider a used 18-55. It doesn’t sound super sexy but it just works.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Has anyone had problems with dead pixels on their Fuji X-T20? Mine had one last year and it was sent in to Fuji who did a "Sensor re-calibration", and now I just discovered another one in a new spot.

They're fairly large, not just 1 or 2, but a cluster of 10 or so in either a line or a square.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

frogbs posted:

So I have a Fuji XT-10 with the XF 35mm 1.4, and while I love the lens, i'm always wishing it was a little wider. There's kind of a ton of lens options in the 18 to 23mm range for Fuji, so it's been difficult to decide. Am I a dummy for not just picking up an XF 18-55 2.8-4 ? It's like 1/2 the cost of going with the 23mm 1.4, which would be my ideal choice, but is' spendy and a heck of a lot bigger.

Here's everything i've been considering:

18-55MM F/2.8-4 XF R - By all accounts very good, cheapest option - $280
XF 18mm f2 - Super small, but I haven't heard good things. ~$340
XF 23mm 1.4 - Very well regarded, expensive, heavy - $600
XF 23mm f2 - Also well regarded. Light weight - $340

16mm 1.4. Every time.

16-55 2.8 or 16-80 f4 if you need a zoom.

If those are out of your budget and don’t mind manual, the Rokinon 12/2 is a smash.

Those are my preference, but the 18-55 is still a great lens.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the dude said $600 was expensive and you suggested those three lenses? :psyduck:

I think the important thing to remember is that so long as you stick to XF lenses and not the XC ones, there are very few Legit Duds in the Fujifilm lineup. Some don't have the Magic, some have a little Magic, some are nothing but Magic, but they're all generally Pretty Good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

harperdc posted:

the dude said $600 was expensive and you suggested those three lenses? :psyduck:

I think the important thing to remember is that so long as you stick to XF lenses and not the XC ones, there are very few Legit Duds in the Fujifilm lineup. Some don't have the Magic, some have a little Magic, some are nothing but Magic, but they're all generally Pretty Good.

I did offer the Roki!

Also the 14 2.8. Those can be had for $300-400 usually.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Copped a Sigma 56mm 1.4 and it's good as hell if you're looking for a cheap gem. It seems as sharp as the Canon L's I've used and it's a steal for under $400.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just won an eBay auction for an XT2 to replace my Xpro1. Going to be interesting to see how it is especially focussing the 35 1.4.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

refleks posted:

Has anyone had problems with dead pixels on their Fuji X-T20? Mine had one last year and it was sent in to Fuji who did a "Sensor re-calibration", and now I just discovered another one in a new spot.

They're fairly large, not just 1 or 2, but a cluster of 10 or so in either a line or a square.

I’ve noticed them on my x-t2 and just done the automatic remapping. There were definitely more than I would’ve expected or liked to see on a new camera but once they disappeared I stopped caring.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah, I had one on my XT-20 show up as well, but I only found it after pixel peeping and didn't know how long it had been there. Pixel mapping fixed it for me as well. I also had it happen on my X-H1, same deal. I'm assuming it has something to do with that particular sensor.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Just treated myself to a used X100F - first new camera body in 6 years (have been using an OG Sony A7 since it came out, which is on its last legs) :toot:

I have been a bit of a skeptic of the X100 series since launch (mostly on the basis of cost, and not using the 35mm focal length much), but have found myself almost completely uninspired to go out and take photos the last few years. Not sure if it's because of being busy with my job, tired of my janky A7, or just placated with my OK smartphone camera, but I seldom pick up my camera and actually go out to deliberately take photos anymore. When I do, like for a friend's wedding, I get really into it again and remember how much I enjoy shooting, but it's hard to make myself take that first step of actually taking my camera out.

Since I know the X100's have a reputation in particular for being a "photographer's camera" and enjoyable to use, I thought I ought to give it a try - worst case I can sell it at a modest loss in a few months. My initial impressions are pretty positive as far as handling, although I do find it annoying I can't seem to get thumbnails for RAF's in Win 10 unless I pay US$10 for some third party software. At the moment I don't know how likely I am to use the OVF much because I'm finding I'm missing focus a lot, but probably need to play around with the setting a bit more and figure things out properly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In two years I’ve used the OVF maybe three times just to try it out. People who like it talk about being able to see stuff coming into frame and it feeling more “live” but I have a feeling that’s mostly film idolatry.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

On the X100T it’s good for panning shots and some low light stuff but I imagine the newer models with updated EVF’s perform well enough for that

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

qirex posted:

In two years I’ve used the OVF maybe three times just to try it out. People who like it talk about being able to see stuff coming into frame and it feeling more “live” but I have a feeling that’s mostly film idolatry.

Animal posted:

On the X100T it’s good for panning shots and some low light stuff but I imagine the newer models with updated EVF’s perform well enough for that

The camera seems to be defaulting to it (full disclosure: I have not read the manual or looked anything up yet) so I'll have to look into finding ways to get it default more to the EVF. Maybe it's a battery saving thing?

Personally I do see the appeal - I shot a lot with a Bessa rangefinder in my early 20s and the overlay is really slick. And as you say, it's nice to be able to see the stuff outside the frame - lets you reframe without having to move the camera around exploratively, or wait for a subject to enter the sensor's FoV. But without having an actual RF patch or some other way to confirm focus I'm not confident in what I shoot with it. It's a really cool, futuristic design though - is the X-Pro1 hybrid EVF/OVF similar? (I assume the EVF is not as nice given its age.)

The tilting LCD of the X100V really appeals to me coming from Sony as I found I used it a tonne, but the price of a new one of those (AU$2200) versus the AU$800 for my secondhand X100F made it an easy decision.

I forgot to mention: the leaf shutter on this thing is unbelievably quiet. It makes the A7 sound like a bloody freight train.

Having no luck connecting it to my phone with the Fuji app but from lurking this thread that's not entirely surprising lol

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

My initial impressions are pretty positive as far as handling, although I do find it annoying I can't seem to get thumbnails for RAF's in Win 10 unless I pay US$10 for some third party software.

I use Irfanview to get RAF thumbnails for free but be warned that if you make it the default application for opening images files all the icons become a stupid red cartoon cat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

qirex posted:

The EVF on the XPro1 is horrible and I still prefer it to the OVF. When I have access to something that gives me near-WYSIWYG previewing, the OVF offers me very little.

Part of it is psychological too. When I use the EVF I see the camera struggle to autofocus and can quantify the lag involved in taking the photo. When I'm on the OVF it feels very decoupled from the camera autofocusing and eventually triggering the shutter and makes the camera feel that much slower.

I think I might use the OVF more if I just defaulted to sunny-16 and left my aperture wide enough for good no-focus street photography, which I might try this summer but I still doubt it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The camera seems to be defaulting to it (full disclosure: I have not read the manual or looked anything up yet) so I'll have to look into finding ways to get it default more to the EVF. Maybe it's a battery saving thing?
The lever on the front switches between the viewfinder modes including one that previews the focus and exposure in the bottom right corner of the screen. It always slides the screen out of the way when you turn the power off though. I agree the tilt screen of the V is super nice but I'm not in the market right now. I might try to get a used one later but I've told myself I'm only getting a new camera this year if it's for shooting a whole different way than the X100 [I've made an exception if I see an especially-discounted Q2].

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The EVF on the XPro1 is horrible and I still prefer it to the OVF. When I have access to something that gives me near-WYSIWYG previewing, the OVF offers me very little.

Part of it is psychological too. When I use the EVF I see the camera struggle to autofocus and can quantify the lag involved in taking the photo. When I'm on the OVF it feels very decoupled from the camera autofocusing and eventually triggering the shutter and makes the camera feel that much slower.

I think I might use the OVF more if I just defaulted to sunny-16 and left my aperture wide enough for good no-focus street photography, which I might try this summer but I still doubt it.

It's also nigh on unusable for any focal length above 50mm, or zooms. It basically seems it was designed for the xt100 and the xpro1 with the 18, 35 or 60 primes that came out initially, any subsequent releases of zoom lenses or larger telephoto or even some of the superwide primes have rendered it useless. I'd go so far as to say that by the time the xpro3 was released the ovf was little more than a marketing gimmick.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Are there any m43 bodies that are good for tethering to use more like a webcam? I still have lenses, but my OM-D E-M10 was never really intended for good video.

Was thinking it might be fun to make use of the lenses since I mostly have been shooting with my X100F. Maybe I could find a deal on a used body or something.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Are there any m43 bodies that are good for tethering to use more like a webcam? I still have lenses, but my OM-D E-M10 was never really intended for good video.

Was thinking it might be fun to make use of the lenses since I mostly have been shooting with my X100F. Maybe I could find a deal on a used body or something.

Maybe something like the Blackmagic Pocket cinema cameras?

In other news the XT2 that I bought on eBay finally showed up, thanks coronavirus for the 2 week shipping. The focus on this camera is so much nicer than on the Pro1, I can finally take action photos of my kids.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Aargh posted:

It's also nigh on unusable for any focal length above 50mm, or zooms. It basically seems it was designed for the xt100 and the xpro1 with the 18, 35 or 60 primes that came out initially, any subsequent releases of zoom lenses or larger telephoto or even some of the superwide primes have rendered it useless. I'd go so far as to say that by the time the xpro3 was released the ovf was little more than a marketing gimmick.

It’s basically a discount Leica gimmick but I’m a sucker for that

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I’ve noticed them on my x-t2 and just done the automatic remapping. There were definitely more than I would’ve expected or liked to see on a new camera but once they disappeared I stopped caring.

Atlatl posted:

Yeah, I had one on my XT-20 show up as well, but I only found it after pixel peeping and didn't know how long it had been there. Pixel mapping fixed it for me as well. I also had it happen on my X-H1, same deal. I'm assuming it has something to do with that particular sensor.

Thanks. I wasn't really pixel-peeping, and it was fairly obvious in the middle of the sensor both times.

They replaced the sensor this second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

refleks posted:

Thanks. I wasn't really pixel-peeping, and it was fairly obvious in the middle of the sensor both times.

They replaced the sensor this second time around.

Got a question then since you’re noticing issues with your camera. (not being sarcastic here)

Does it do C-AF with any realistic utility outside of the the central PDAF square? Does tracking work at all if you initiate from the left or right edge of the viewfinder frame? Or does the focus just wobble back and forth in both situations? I don’t know anyone else with an X-T2x to compare mine to, but have always wondered about that.