Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

necrotic posted:

Uranium in K2, and any of it's products, also hurt a lot early on. My first three deaths came from mishandling that stuff before I had sufficient armor.

Given how impossible it is to *not* accidentally pick up ores and stuff in the game that seems like it would be more than a little bit annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Locator posted:

Given how impossible it is to *not* accidentally pick up ores and stuff in the game that seems like it would be more than a little bit annoying.

Yeah, this was the worst part. I had to be certain about my belt layouts before hooking up anything, or spend the time reversing the belt(s) if I hosed something up.

Laying the miners before you have bots is also a huge pain. I ended up rushing personal bots after my first attempt went horribly.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
How's oil processing in K2? Something clicked in my brain and green science is ripping right along. It's time to get oil going.

What's the next thing that's going to kick me in the nuts?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Is that finally playable outside of the epic store?
If a game claims to be released but it's not on Steam, does anyone actually care?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

If a game claims to be released but it's not on Steam, does anyone actually care?

Honestly, I'd say Satisfactory is worth getting EGS for alone, but it looks like it'll be getting on Steam pretty dang soon anyway.

Of course, that's Soon in game dev time. I'm not sure what they're waiting for before they do it - possibly finishing the dedicated multiplayer servers - but they're holding off for something.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

How's oil processing in K2? Something clicked in my brain and green science is ripping right along. It's time to get oil going.

What's the next thing that's going to kick me in the nuts?

Oil processing isn't too different from the base game. Krastorio adds more non-oil fluids instead of complicating the oil process at all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, I'd say Satisfactory is worth getting EGS for alone, but it looks like it'll be getting on Steam pretty dang soon anyway.

Of course, that's Soon in game dev time. I'm not sure what they're waiting for before they do it - possibly finishing the dedicated multiplayer servers - but they're holding off for something.

Typically the EGS exclusives are purely time based in a contract, so it's likely they are contractually obligated to remain EGS exclusive for a set period of time. Seems like 1 year is fairly typical from past titles that I'm aware of.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Locator posted:

Typically the EGS exclusives are purely time based in a contract, so it's likely they are contractually obligated to remain EGS exclusive for a set period of time. Seems like 1 year is fairly typical from past titles that I'm aware of.

Oh, their exclusivity period is explicitly over. They're just waiting to do their Steam launch, presumably so they can make the best first impression they can.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Oh, their exclusivity period is explicitly over. They're just waiting to do their Steam launch, presumably so they can make the best first impression they can.

Ah, gotcha. I haven't been following the game at all. I've watched plenty of gameplay video and for whatever reason it's just not something I've had any desire to play.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Locator posted:

Ah, gotcha. I haven't been following the game at all. I've watched plenty of gameplay video and for whatever reason it's just not something I've had any desire to play.

For me, spot-on perfectionism in building a factory in a 2d tile-based game is easy.

Doing that poo poo in 3d? Hell naw.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Satisfactory gives you every opportunity to play neat and grid based, maybe even more so as conduits of objects start and end distinctly at suppliers and consumers so you theoretically have less compulsion to make non ideal belts.

But you'd be missing out on their absolutely fantastic splines. Best factory: diverging slum factory. Literal tiered favelas because you didn't bother to measure how tall the advanced manufacturer was compared to the simple one.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Arrath posted:

For me, spot-on perfectionism in building a factory in a 2d tile-based game is easy.

Doing that poo poo in 3d? Hell naw.

Satisfactory allows depths of depravity that Factorio players only have nightmares about.

I highly recommend watching this entire video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2X3wlvoShg

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Satisfactory allows depths of depravity that Factorio players only have nightmares about.

That dude makes some hilarious video's and this one is no exception. Thanks!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I like Satisfactory well enough but it and Factorio are -- fortunately! -- different games and the playerbases aren't going to 100% overlap even if the central concept is very similar.

Factorio has a very strict primary focus on expanding the factory to meet the needs of the expanding factory, with a secondary focus on defense (for most map settings) and exploration very tertiary. One consequence of pure procedural terrain is that it's not like you're going to come across any cool landmark or game-changing things in the world. All you really need for exploration (again, for most map settings) are a couple of radars on your perimeter to tell you where the next ring of deposits are.

Satisfactory removes the defense aspect entirely and intentionally simplifies the logistics to add a lot more exploration. There's a ton of lovingly hand-crafted terrain with all sorts of secrets and game-changing loot, many resources are intentionally hard to get to, etc. The logistics game is intended to be done fairly small scale: most of my factory expansion spurts in Satisfactory have me hook up maybe 10-15 new structures to produce just a few items of a newly researched end product per minute from some baser resources. Then I put those structures inside some walls, spend a long time pondering the best shade of pink to use for this new expansion and finally go off exploring for magic worms for an hour or two while stuff accumulates, research completes and elevators fill up back in the base.

If the appeal of Factorio for you is as a large scale logistics puzzler or esoteric programming language and you hate collect-a-thon platformers, fixed worlds and non-orthographic projections then Satisfactory probably won't be your thing. Even with the wonderful people-tubes, and people-tube cannons.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Oh yeah, watched that video last week and absolutely laughed my rear end off, this guy does amazing things.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Welp, started up a new game with K2, didn't realize the crashed ship parts had any function besides mining for resources so spent several hours building poo poo by hand. Lesson learned I guess. Also trying out AAI programmable vehicles and I have no idea how to get this poo poo to work.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
From my admittedly limited experience with AAI the answer is "you don't." There might be some Galaxy Brain method to get them to work but that is far beyond my feeble understanding of combinator logic.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's currently the best mod to calculate ratios and stuff? Helmod?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Sininu posted:

What's currently the best mod to calculate ratios and stuff? Helmod?

I use one called Factory Planner. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/factoryplanner It's not a whole lot different than the browser based ones like factorio calculator, but you can use it with mods that add or change items and recipes, so that's useful

I tried Helmod once, I couldn't figure out the UI at all. It's the probably the choice if you want to spreadsheet out your whole entire factory and have every single thing optimized and accounted for, but I'm not that organized to begin with, it seemed like overkill

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, factory planner is what I use. Helmmod has a lot more flexibility, but the UX for factory planner is just so much easier to work with.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I noticed nuclear plant numbers are way different in krastorio 2. A single reactor's heat output is 250 MW, compared to 40 MW in the base game. Heat exchangers are also nearly doubly as powerful, but also suck down double the fluid. All of the ratios are thrown off, and a a plant design from the base game isn't going to come anywhere close to operating effectively.

A two reactor plant can generate a maximum of 626 MW (with 62.5 turbines), which is more than a four reactor plant could generate in the base game. A four reactor plant can generate 1.5 GW (with 150 turbines).

I went ahead and rejiggered one of my old two reactor designs to Krastorio 2 standards. It does have steam storage, and will operate losslessly no matter what your power draw is. Though a two reactor design has a maximum potential output of 626 MW, this one can dip down to about 618 MW due to the mechanism I used to reload. Not a huge deal, all things considered. One of these will probably be good enough to get people through the mid-game and into the higher tech power options.
https://factorioprints.com/view/-M4DR_tmCVxzIIxQqvLG

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ambaire posted:

I've had zero interest in Satisfactory until I watched that video. I think I've found my next lockdown game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I tried it over the weekend and while it's reasonably fun I feel it's really lacking bigger scope construction options. When I see those gigantic things in videos I can't fathom how much time has been put into it because unless I'm missing something it's all got to be placed piece by piece whereas in Factorio I can slap down whole chunks of factories after the initial setup. I also wish the inventory were auto-sorting like in Factorio, needing to manually click sort each time really doesn't bring anything to the table, or that you could belt stuff first tiere of power generators instead of having to feed them yourself until you can unlock coal generators. really makes me appreciate how streamlined Factorio is.

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 6, 2020

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Factorio's inventory definitely isn't autosorting by default? unless there's a setting or mod that I've missed, in which case good god my life is about to change

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think he's referring to player inventory, not chest inventory.

Both have a sort button in satisfactory, factiorio player inventory autosorts by default.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I'm taking about player inventory. It's one of those little things that make all the difference in the world

Chev fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 6, 2020

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chev posted:

Yeah, I'm taking about player inventory. It's one of those little things that make all the difference in the world

I haven't checked into the thread for a while. I just need to write this down.

I'm doing it again, I'm doing a seablock. I keep reliving this moment in dumber and dumber outfits. I've set up my initial, windfarm afk machine. It consists of 4 electrolizers, and a wood pellet accumulator. The power draw is at capacity, but since I have no fuel cost this is all fuel number and landfill number going up while I wait and shitpost. It has been running on my monitor for the last 2 hours.

During this time I've been writing up note cards calculating the consumption and production of the pertinent early game processes. Somewhere in the bob's/angel's constellation of mods there exists a flare stack. The numbers concerning the max void potential of the void recipes lies in a redit post by Arch666Angel. The flare stack has a crafting speed of 2, so we double those numbers to find that a single flarestack has a 200 *thing* per second void capacity. The electrolyzer generates 10 hydrogen per second. A single flare stack will void out 20 electrolyzers.

Also I'm seablocking with the Brave New World mod. So there is no little factorio man running around this island. I start with a roboport and have to interact with the world via blueprinting and logistics boxes. I have no crafting queue, but I will never get stuck between buildings and pipes. It feels like the result of a monkey paw wish to "never get stuck, and start with robots".

I hope this helps somebody and gets indexed by the archeologists from the future.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KirbyKhan posted:

I hope this helps somebody and gets indexed by the archeologists from the future.

Plot twist, you are the AI archeologist, trying to figure out what how the humans flooded their world.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

KirbyKhan posted:

Also I'm seablocking with the Brave New World mod. So there is no little factorio man running around this island. I start with a roboport and have to interact with the world via blueprinting and logistics boxes. I have no crafting queue, but I will never get stuck between buildings and pipes. It feels like the result of a monkey paw wish to "never get stuck, and start with robots".

That sounds like something I should install in vanilla, since I always end up avoiding bots and blueprints. Force myself to use them for once.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man it doesn't even feel like factorio to me until I get bots. Even for my garbage sphagetti bases. Doing anything past, and probably including red chips without having a support system seems cruel. No idea how you scale up without it unless you find clicking down the same thing over and over again meditative.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Man it doesn't even feel like factorio to me until I get bots. Even for my garbage sphagetti bases. Doing anything past, and probably including red chips without having a support system seems cruel. No idea how you scale up without it unless you find clicking down the same thing over and over again meditative.

Which is probably why they changed initial Oil Processing to be a little easier/more straightforward, because that's the exact point most newer players peter out. The reward of bots to automate a lot of things is great, but getting there from trains is a hump.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm a long time satisfactory player that wants to get into Factorio, but I quickly feel lost and overwhelmed and quit playing. I few factories I've made have gotten to the point of using three color sciences but I always peter out around then. Can anyone link me to a good beginners guide on how to set up good busses and general smart factory design? The 3D nature (and lack of biters) of satisfactory makes figuring things out myself part of the fun but here it seems like all my spaghetti garbage is a major barrier.

Also, is there any mod for some sort of "quick start". I can't bare to hand mind enough crap to get the very first stage of automation going again. Maybe something that just dumps a bunch of tier 0 structures in my inventory from the start?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Yeah there's a quickstart mod with various options on how much of a start it gives. I think it's just called "Quick Start"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Magus42 posted:

Yeah there's a quickstart mod with various options on how much of a start it gives. I think it's just called "Quick Start"

I use "Tiny Start". Gives you a few robots and all the stuff to set up electricity along with some electric miners so if you do it carefully you can just completely ignore the burner phase entirely.

Another good one to start with is "Construction Drones" as they are ground-based construction bots that move much faster than base construction robots at game start, and use no power.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 10, 2020

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
There's also some options to make the biters a little less in your face, ranging from
- Disabling expansion: if your pollution reaches nests they'll still attack, but if you wipe out a nest it's gone forever - they never recolonize
- Peaceful mode: they won't attack if your pollution reaches them (and won't expand, iirc, but it doesn't matter at that point) but they still exist in the world for your eradicating pleasure
- Just gone

It's completely reasonable to play without them, I think I put hundreds of hours in before turning them off peaceful honestly. It means there's less of a point researching military science which means you can kinda run out of stuff to research at points but that's minor, I think.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Phobeste posted:

There's also some options to make the biters a little less in your face, ranging from
- Disabling expansion: if your pollution reaches nests they'll still attack, but if you wipe out a nest it's gone forever - they never recolonize
- Peaceful mode: they won't attack if your pollution reaches them (and won't expand, iirc, but it doesn't matter at that point) but they still exist in the world for your eradicating pleasure
- Just gone

It's completely reasonable to play without them, I think I put hundreds of hours in before turning them off peaceful honestly. It means there's less of a point researching military science which means you can kinda run out of stuff to research at points but that's minor, I think.

A good balance I've found is disabling both expansion and pollution, but not using peaceful mode. You still need to clear out nests in order to expand, and they'll aggro if you get too close, but you don't have to build your base worrying about if biters are going to show up and wreck your stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wrr posted:

I'm a long time satisfactory player that wants to get into Factorio, but I quickly feel lost and overwhelmed and quit playing. I few factories I've made have gotten to the point of using three color sciences but I always peter out around then. Can anyone link me to a good beginners guide on how to set up good busses and general smart factory design? The 3D nature (and lack of biters) of satisfactory makes figuring things out myself part of the fun but here it seems like all my spaghetti garbage is a major barrier.

Honestly, a bus alone is going to help you a lot. The other rule is "dont pack things close together"

Space is (functionally) infinite in Factorio. Do a bit of exploring to find yourself a nice area where you can run 20-30 parallel rows of belts for 5-10 screen lengths. I've yet to have a map, with default settings, where there wasn't one right by my starting area.

Your bus goes in the middle of that. Just leave the space.

Pull out a belt. Hold down shift, and place it. See how it leaves a "ghost"? Make yourself a set of four directly parallel ghost rows. Then leave two empty rows. Make another set of four ghost rows. Leave two empty ones. Make a set of two ghost rows, then two empty. Then another set of two ghost rows, then two empty. Then another set of two ghost rows, then two empty.

Use CTRL+C and CTRL+V to copy/paste. Once you lay out your 4x4x2x2x2 starter, it's easy to grab that all with CTRL+C, then paste it with CTRL+V, and extend the "ghost" bus as far as you want.

Now you know where your bus will be! As you expand, you'll start placing belts over the ghosts by hand. Eventually you'll get bots, and they'll place the rest for you.

On the bus itself, one set of four is for iron. The other set of four is for copper. One set of two is for green circuit boards. Another is for steel. The last set of two has stone on one, coal on the other. You may find you only use one line of your four iron for a while; this is OK. The ghosts are just there to keep you organized for future expansion.

At the "start" of your bus needs to be where you smelt your iron, steel, and copper. Leave plenty of room to expand. Connect the output of your smelter factories to your iron, copper, and steel lines on the bus.

Use splitters and underground belts when you need to "pull" from the bus. The reason you leave two rows between belts is so you can use undergrounds.

One of the first things you'll make after getting copper and iron on your bus is green circuits. Pull some of your iron and copper off the bus, and set up a little green chip factory! Leave room to expand it, because you WILL need more green chips. Connect its output with your green circuit ghost lines.

I like to build a little "mall" as one of my first things after setting up green chip production. This is an area where I build all of the poo poo I commonly need. Belts, inserters, etc.

I like to build all my "mall" on one side of the bus. A "mall" is a factory (or series of small factories) that build the stuff you commonly need. You should set up a series of assemblers that make belts, inserters, assemblers, electric mining drills, etc. Eventually you'll want to produce at least one of pretty much everything on the Logistics and Production tabs. I run the outputs to a little area full of chests. This way I can always return to the same spot to refill on everything! (Note: You can get REALLY FANCY for malls, and there are some amazing blueprints floating around)

I build all my science production on the other side of the bus, and run the outputs to an area full of labs.

You'll probably add more rows to your bus as you expand. Eventually you want at least one row of red circuits, for example. You may find you need more iron, and add another 4 rows somewhere down the line. It's good to bus a row or two of plastic. You may start bringing in resources by train; you can run lines from your depots to your bus. The bus will grow as you need it to. Just do this organically.

Always leave lots of space between your sub-factories. You may need to re-design or expand them later! A great example is your belts. It's two assemblers to build a belt (one for iron gears, one for the belt itself). But that changes a LOT by time you're making blue belts. Gotta leave room!

Here's a guide with some visual references for it. You don't have to do everything EXACTLY as she says; this particular author is EXTREMELY GOOD at Factorio, but can be overwhelming for new players. Just start with the basics and go from there.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754378586

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Paper Tiger posted:

A good balance I've found is disabling both expansion and pollution, but not using peaceful mode. You still need to clear out nests in order to expand, and they'll aggro if you get too close, but you don't have to build your base worrying about if biters are going to show up and wreck your stuff.

You can also expand the open space between your starting location and the closest biter nests in the starting options making the biters up to 600% further away (which is pretty much my default, I hate dealing with the biters in the early game).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Lots of good words...

The setup for a bus is quite variable as well, based on your personal preferences.

As an example, I have started to set up a bus that doesn't actually work quite right until red belts (i.e. 6 belt sets instead of 4 belts), and I also like to leave 3 spaces between the groups of belts allowing for more flexibility in making belts sidestep and or merge onto a half-belt going to a factory module.

The red belt design works fine since I'm unlikely to be using all 6 belts of iron/copper until after I've got red belts anyway, so it's pretty easy to 'fix' after the change from yellow to red when I actually start to need all 6 belts of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
mmmm... finally got bots running in K2. FIrst thing I did was plunk down this mega mall

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/fwr7sf/krastorio_2_099_modular_mall_by_rahbek_updated_by/

It's a thing of beauty. Guys that make this poo poo are playing at a whole different level than I am.