Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
where is our terribly stupid vw fanboy who is not defending his dumbshit commentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Like if you somehow think you’ve blown this thing wide open with your brilliant insight that “all companies are bad” or whatever don’t you think vw a hundred billion dollar company with hundred billion dollar lawyers would have made that argument already instead of just confessing to multiple courts in multiple countries and paying tens of billions of dollars in fines

At least the coal rolling trucks have beds that could theoretically be used for something vs your lung cancer Jetta

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BraveUlysses posted:

where is our terribly stupid vw fanboy who is not defending his dumbshit commentary

i like my golf r so therefore VW is a good company

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TBH I thought VWs would lose more value due to that poo poo, so I'm disappointed in VW at the moment.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I hope GM gets the stitching kinks worked out before they start shipping 3LT trim level Ventilators.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/artic...fkPN0tVdT_O21ak

That looks like someone just tried to eyeball it with a handy stitch

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Look on the bright side: GM can’t gently caress up Corvette stitching if GM can’t build Corvettes!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That stitching is probably done bad on purpose to give it that handmade/artisan look.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CornHolio posted:

That stitching is probably done bad on purpose to give it that handmade/artisan look.

It's GM. Hanlon's Razor cuts deep.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The mismatch in the alignment of the stitching between the passenger door and the dash would drive me bonkers.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1248071014124335107

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bigly news.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, who's betting that the administration will refuse to pay them citing the lack of need in August and GM will have just spent millions retooling and producing for nothing?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So, who's betting that the administration will refuse to pay them citing the lack of need in August and GM will have just spent millions retooling and producing for nothing?

Oh, we’ll almost certainly still need them in the summertime. If not GM can probably sell them to other countries.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Trump not paying someone? I would be shocked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Midjack posted:

Oh, we’ll almost certainly still need them in the summertime. If not GM can probably sell them to other countries.

You misunderstand me.

I know we will still need them, but August is 3 months from the election so of course this will be over so we won't 'need' them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eh, just call them 2021 models and jack up the MSRP by $500.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You misunderstand me.

I know we will still need them, but August is 3 months from the election so of course this will be over so we won't 'need' them.

Probably, and it's hosed up but honestly I'll have a hard time feeling sorry for GM if it happens.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Bigly news.

Ohh, 10's of thousands of ventilators! So, many!

Except some of the estimates are that we likely will have a peak need of as many as 500 to 600,000... 10-15,000 per state on average.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Who's "we" in this case? Just the U.S. in general?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Yeah, if projections are anywhere near correct, we won't need them beyond... like, a few weeks from now.

https://covid19.healthdata.org

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's assumptions to those projections though which likely won't hold.

For one, they are only 4 month projections.

For second, those projections are made assuming social distancing is maintained until June 1st which is extremely unlikely due to the pressure being put on states to re-open things.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm aware of the limitations. I have had so many goddamned meetings on this it's unreal. There are other more significant limitations to the modeling. However, all that matters for ventilator availability is peak need. We will reach peak utilization very soon regardless of social distancing being eased, because things were so mishandled early on. Even if the longterm forecast is way off (which only requires a few days of error to peak), we will not need GM's equipment if it's not here very, very soon.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll get you next time, gadget. Next time.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Haha GM dragging their feet so they don’t have to do it; is the new “husband does bad at doing dishes so he never gets asked to do it again”.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, if projections are anywhere near correct, we won't need them beyond... like, a few weeks from now.

https://covid19.healthdata.org

The issue I suspect here is that like any model, it's only as good as the numbers you plug into it. Given the insane lack of testing and governors trying to pretend this all doesnt exist, any modelling isnt going to be close to what happens.

Eg : It's probably not controversial to think the official US numbers are at least 4 times under reported for total infections and the number of deaths also nowhere near the truth either.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

Haha GM dragging their feet so they don’t have to do it; is the new “husband does bad at doing dishes so he never gets asked to do it again”.

Comments like this just show how little people know about what it takes to build tooling and setup a production line. Particularly for something a company has never produced before.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was surprised how quick they were getting things going, for some companies that size it could take a year.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Comments like this just show how little people know about what it takes to build tooling and setup a production line. Particularly for something a company has never produced before.

I know some people don’t think much of him but didn’t Dyson build 10 brand new newly-designed ventilators in like a week or two and then donate them? Who knows if they work or last but 10 in a pretty short period of time says to me you should be able to mobilize your thermoplastics people and build something that sucks and blows and has a minimum of moving parts ... and for automotive engineers something with maybe 100 parts should be the equivalent difficulty of a Silicon Valley Hackathon day project

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

i agree but it just seems odd to even have them do it at all

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The issue I suspect here is that like any model, it's only as good as the numbers you plug into it. Given the insane lack of testing and governors trying to pretend this all doesnt exist, any modelling isnt going to be close to what happens.

Eg : It's probably not controversial to think the official US numbers are at least 4 times under reported for total infections and the number of deaths also nowhere near the truth either.
Absolutely. But so far as testing has ramped up the model has been within the margin of error of prior iterations, and recently even decreased a bit. It remains a work in progress, for sure, but at this point it's the best we've got, and it's better than planning based on gut instinct.

Naturally, none of this matters anyway when the federal government literally is getting in states' ways instead helping them.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 10, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tremek posted:

I know some people don’t think much of him but didn’t Dyson build 10 brand new newly-designed ventilators in like a week or two and then donate them? Who knows if they work or last but 10 in a pretty short period of time says to me you should be able to mobilize your thermoplastics people and build something that sucks and blows and has a minimum of moving parts ... and for automotive engineers something with maybe 100 parts should be the equivalent difficulty of a Silicon Valley Hackathon day project

any OEM (or highly engineered product company) rapid prototyping department can throw together a small number of pretty much anything really quickly but that's not really useful. mass production is a totally different ballgame.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not car related but re:tooling up for new stuff, I work in a machine shop and Titleist is local. They are switching over to extruding rubber straps for masks and we made the dies, so that was cool.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

any OEM (or highly engineered product company) rapid prototyping department can throw together a small number of pretty much anything really quickly but that's not really useful. mass production is a totally different ballgame.

Agreed, but 10k of something that’s a relatively simplistic device where I’m sure GM can just license a goddamn design instead of rapid prototyping makes this even more ridiculous. Ford’s already building if I’m not mistaken?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can license a design but building it at scale and sourcing and manufacturing components is the complicated part.

ford basically did the rapid prototyping thing, they aren't set up for series production at scale. that's also what Dyson did.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tremek posted:

Agreed, but 10k of something that’s a relatively simplistic device where I’m sure GM can just license a goddamn design instead of rapid prototyping makes this even more ridiculous. Ford’s already building if I’m not mistaken?
From my understanding, Ford is building respirators for front line medical staff, not ventilators for critically ill people.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/amp31917145/ford-respirators-coronavirus-covid-19/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can license a design but building it at scale and sourcing and manufacturing components is the complicated part.

ford basically did the rapid prototyping thing, they aren't set up for series production at scale. that's also what Dyson did.

It also helps to know Dyson in a lot of ways is as much of a hype artist as Elon Musk.

Unless you put together a assembly line of pure humans with all the variations and fluctuations that entails, no one can just begin mass production of any equipment in a very short time. The machinery itself takes months to properly design, test, calibrate let alone the software to run it and all of it's bugs and issues it will have. And then there's the supply chains for hundreds of components that also have their own test and design lead times. It can be stepped up timewise but yeah nah, you absolutly need more than a couple of weeks to do this, esp from scratch.

And the logistics behind that is another problem

quote:

omething that’s a relatively simplistic device

Cutting steel is simplistic. The machine to do it automatically is not.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Also ventilators don’t just suck and blow. Pressure, volume, timing all need to be adjustable IIRC. And it all needs to be sterilisable. And also not kill people, you can’t just wing it, like you can with say ignition locks, fuel tanks or airbags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's interesting that you can almost always tell software people and hardware people apart

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Nope, this is how you get more people unnecessarily dying with that mindset.

We don’t need ventilators that last 10 years - we need ventilators that will last a single patient or a month or 3 months. Do you think M1 Garands made by International Harvester and IBM were built with exacting quality standards? Don’t need to sterilize something that’s disposable after a single patient.

Wartime production, nerds. CPAPs on steroids, not bureaucratic supply chain nightmares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think ibm garands or whoever garands were made to the same standards as all of them. I've never heard of anyone saying certain manufactures are worse, only that they are rare or collectable.