Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Scrappy’s GF bitters are my go to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I'm going to be a patriotic :canada: and go with Ms. Better's Bitters Grapefruit. I also have my eye on their Lime Leaf*, though the description for it makes it sound like their are leaf and stem flavors incorporated into it...

They also have a bitter called "Trans-Canada", which has the description:

quote:

Experience a Trans-Canada road trip without leaving your seat! This bitter will bring you East to West; roll down your windows and smell what you see. This bitter brings you adventure without mileage or mess in your car.
*contains gluten*

I emailed them to ask if they could clarify what this stuff tasted like.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 9, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Scrappys are good yeah.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I like Dillon's tbh

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Scrappys Cardamom Bitters are my favorite butters

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I picked up Sorghum & Sassafras bitters and they are very cool. Made a variation on a Manhattan Transfer with them and bourbon and black tea tincture.

Pandemic has been bad, but being home has given me time to experiment and start actually building my own recipes. I have a couple good ones if anyone wants to see them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I picked up Sorghum & Sassafras bitters and they are very cool. Made a variation on a Manhattan Transfer with them and bourbon and black tea tincture.

Pandemic has been bad, but being home has given me time to experiment and start actually building my own recipes. I have a couple good ones if anyone wants to see them.

:justpost:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I think you know we do :)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I put these in the app Mixel for easy access, so I'll just post the screen shots. The tinctures are home made by steeping ingredients in 190 proof vodka for 3 days, straining, and adding an equal amount of water. Made the rhubarb shrub as well.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Sound good!

If you want to up the flavor complexity of your tinctures, you could try replacing the water with a water-based tincture. I.e., dilute your black tea tincture with a cup of black tea.

Might not be necessary because you’re using such a high-proof base, but I bet there are flavor compounds that are hydro-soluble that you could capture. It’s what I needed to make my jasmine tincture more flavorful, but I was also using a lower proof base to begin with.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Sound good!

If you want to up the flavor complexity of your tinctures, you could try replacing the water with a water-based tincture. I.e., dilute your black tea tincture with a cup of black tea.

Might not be necessary because you’re using such a high-proof base, but I bet there are flavor compounds that are hydro-soluble that you could capture. It’s what I needed to make my jasmine tincture more flavorful, but I was also using a lower proof base to begin with.

Using actual black tea as the water component in the tincture is a great idea actually, thanks.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sudden Clarity is really cool-sounding. Reads more like a 50/50 Martini than a Negroni to me, TBH. I want one.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

prayer group posted:

Sudden Clarity is really cool-sounding. Reads more like a 50/50 Martini than a Negroni to me, TBH. I want one.

Best I can do is a pic before I drink one. Cheers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I ended up going with Ms. Better's Bitters Grapefruit and Cypress

quote:

32 botanical ingredients entwine to create a bitter that can truly be described as engaging. It will carry you to that moment when you twist the perfect most juicy grapefruit off a tree, it completes with a burst of pithy sweetness as you break into its peel.

quote:

Picture yourself on the summit of the ski hill, Fluffy snowflakes are gently falling, you can feel the warm sun at your back and are watching the ice slowly melt off the trees. There is the slightest hint of spring in the air. This is Cypress Bowl.

I guess we will see what they are like!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is a stupid-rear end question, but whats a good drink to get to-go? Or I guess, are there drinks that are BAD to get to go, I feel like drinking an old-fashioned ten minutes later out of a styrofoam cup is not ideal

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

This is a stupid-rear end question, but whats a good drink to get to-go? Or I guess, are there drinks that are BAD to get to go, I feel like drinking an old-fashioned ten minutes later out of a styrofoam cup is not ideal

If you’re making it yourself, it’s easy to make a couple of old fashioneds or manhattans and keep them in a flask. You can look up the appropriate ratio to substitute water for dilution from ice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm pretty sure he's ordering from a restaurant, which can now serve cocktails to go most places.

I'd just ask the restaurant to strain out the ice and re-ice it when you get home on any drink except anything carbonated or with egg white. You could even re-shake at home if you want the ~micro bubbles~

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’ve gotten a few bottled cocktails during this. They pre-dilute it so you just put the bottle in the fridge and pour when you’re ready.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm pretty sure he's ordering from a restaurant, which can now serve cocktails to go most places.

I'd just ask the restaurant to strain out the ice and re-ice it when you get home on any drink except anything carbonated or with egg white. You could even re-shake at home if you want the ~micro bubbles~

I don't know of a single restaurant that is selling to-go cocktails on ice. They're either providing large format ice on the side, or you provide your own ice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anywhere good is prediluting for refrigeration

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anywhere good is prediluting for refrigeration

But what about the McNegroni?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Big Daq

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone else put loads of citrus in their G&T’s? I put lots of line and lemon and soon grapefruit bitters in mine. When I’m able to get fresh mint I like to shake the gin with it and ice too :evilbuddy:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Another one. Finally got it right. Was up in a nick and nora, then in a collins over crushed ice. The sour format is the way to go, and the grapefruit bitters make it sing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My contribution to cocktail creation is a ginger rig.

2 parts cognac
1 part Meyer lemon
.75 parts ginger/honey syrup
.5 parts orange Curacao

Drinks similar to a sidecar hence the name, but I think the ginger really adds a nice background flavor.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I can never get a solid foam when I’m making sours. I use an egg white and dry shake but it just never stiffens up enough or gets much volume. I’m inclined to believe that it’s because I don’t currently have a double shaker and am using a julep shaker, so I just don’t have enough space to really get a proper whip going.

Also, though, I’m just not a big fan of whiskey sours, I find! They used to be a favorite of mine but there’s something a little acrid about them that puts me off now. I’ll take a bourbon sidecar, or even better, D&C’s why not, which is basically a bourbon sidecar sweetened with maple syrup, any day.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Dry shaking is a waste of time. If you mean a cobbler shaker, which is also a waste of time, that's probably your problem. Get a boston shaker, more space for agitation/aeration.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Klauser posted:

Dry shaking is a waste of time. If you mean a cobbler shaker, which is also a waste of time, that's probably your problem. Get a boston shaker, more space for agitation/aeration.

I get thick and luxurious foams every time with a 10 second dry shake inside a cobbler shaker, so

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
You definitely need to dry shake eggs (at least for a gin fizz or any flip) and yeah in a boston shaker OR...you can also just use an immersion blender before shaking with ice instead....DOUBLE OR if you find an old-timey drink mixer (milkshake blender) at a garage sale, use that instead

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

reverse dry shake, and yeah buy a boston shaker. Also egg whites are better with fresher eggs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I have an ISI and NO2, I've done rapid infusions for cocoa nib rum and then lemoncello. What's another good one? Is mint Bailey's a thing? For that matter, can I infuse things with fat in them, or will the NO2 do something weird to the homogenization?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

So I have an ISI and NO2, I've done rapid infusions for cocoa nib rum and then lemoncello. What's another good one? Is mint Bailey's a thing? For that matter, can I infuse things with fat in them, or will the NO2 do something weird to the homogenization?

Cocktail Chemistry did a very complex take on the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. He used his whipper in an unusual way to infuse the vodka and gin with lemon zest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqYJ5h1fPMo

quote:

~1.5oz (42ml) of vodka (Ol' Janx Spirit)
3 drops of 25% saline solution (Santraginean seawater)
~1.5oz (42ml) of navy strength gin (Arcturan Mega-gin)
2 iSi N20 chargers (Fallian marsh gas)
.25oz (7ml) crème de menthe (Qualactin Hypermint extract)
1 sugar cube and 1 dash of Scrappy's Firewater Tincture (tooth of an Algolian Suntiger)
1/2 tsp (2g) citric acid (Zamphuor)
1 green olive
Zest of 2 lemons

Grab your towel
Add vodka, saline solution, and gin to your iSi whipper
Add in lemon zest to iSi whipper
Discharge one N20 charger to the whipper and shake
Discharge second N20 charger to the whipper and shake
Let rest for 2 minutes, then discharge gas from whipper
Strain out liquid using a mesh strainer into a mixing glass
Add crème de menthe
Dash the sugar cube with your Firewater Tincture and drop into mixing glass
Stir with ice for 60 seconds
Sprinkle citric acid on top and and stir using cocktail pick with olive
Drink... but... very carefully

He posted his actual tasting notes on Reddit. It's basically a Martini with a lemon twist on steroids.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 16, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Cocktail Chemistry did a very complex take on the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. He used his whipper in an unusual way to infuse the vodka and gin with lemon zest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqYJ5h1fPMo

He posted his actual tasting notes on Reddit. It's basically a Martini with a lemon twist on steroids.

I only disagree with your view that it’s an unusual way to use the whipper. Seems like that’s the normal way to do infusions

BrianBoitano posted:

Mint whiskey for a mint julep turned out nice. I like it for fresher flavors - a jalapeño tequila done via rapid infusion will taste much fresher and fruitier than one done the traditional way. I found the flavor does fade eventually though.

I’d bet you could use fat just fine. I mean, they’re meant to make whipped cream, which is just a lot of fat.

The worst thing you could do is not take advantage of a cocoa nib rum flavored whippit when you discharge.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

BrianBoitano posted:

Turmeric gin is probably my favorite rapid infusion so far. Also, while it's not booze, making cold brew coffee in a couple of hours is another great use for rapid infusion.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: ^^ both of those are AMAZING ideas. We have farmer's market turmeric that we need to dry/preserve before we move in 3 weeks, and I have civet coffee in the freezer that I also need to "spend out" on.

The Maestro posted:

The worst thing you could do is not take advantage of a cocoa nib rum flavored whippit when you discharge.

I have been

such

a

fool

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best technique for foaming an egg white in a drink? I know you give it a dry shake, but is that all? Just shake the motherfucker for like 5 minutes straight or what? Should I add everything and the white in a boston shaker and just go ham?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It depends on what you're looking for really. Something like a Ramos can take a while to come together properly I've found. For more normal foam/egg white drinks I will dry shake for a few minutes and then do teh Dave Arnold large cube/smaller cubes and that works well for me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbloHsAFqXY

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best technique for foaming an egg white in a drink? I know you give it a dry shake, but is that all? Just shake the motherfucker for like 5 minutes straight or what? Should I add everything and the white in a boston shaker and just go ham?

For a normal foam like on a sour, you do the "reverse dry shake". You add all the ingredients to the shaker and shake for like 30 seconds or so, THEN add ice and shake to chill and dilute. Strain into the glass and give it a sec, and the foam will settle and rise to the top. The drink I posted an image of up page took maybe 45 seconds to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fresher eggs make more of an impact than the minute details of the shake. As long as you shake it with a lot of vigor you'll get big egg whites. The finer your strainer the less foam You'll get, but you'll also get finer, smoother foam with a finer strainer.