Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Nintendo flogged it for a bit with N64 and I think another release or two. Captain Falcon is apparently still in newer Smash games.

F-zero GX was the last one they put out, in 2003. Most of my memories of it are it being insanely hard. Like, it inspired the nipplebandit rant hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm just surprised someone remembers F-Zero.

I've been trying to track down a copy of F-Zero GX to see if it is as rough as people say it is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been trying to track down a copy of F-Zero GX to see if it is as rough as people say it is.

too late everyone destroyed their discs in a blind fury

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The White Dragon posted:

I could get one on Ebay for $40 but that's a bit more than I want to pay. So I'm just watching and waiting. I have other games going on right now, anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

I’m not a controller-thrower but that game enraged me in a way that no other game has. I’m pretty sure they haven’t released it on switch because the risk goes up when people can chuck their whole console across the room.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I only played the original SNES F-Zero but I liked it a lot. It was relaxing to just put on some music and zoom around. I ended up doing the same thing with Gran Turismo 3 later on.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
F Zero GX was pretty hard as a kid yeah, but not impossible. I mean, I never BEAT it, but I had a lot of fun playing it and got pretty far. The courses were the coolest thing about it, it's a shame we haven't gotten many different, creative racing games like that recently

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

GX was fantastic as a racer, the story mode was the bad frustrating bit. I think there was even people trying to mod the gamecube version to have the arcade stuff too but I haven't heard anything more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The should make a new F-Zero but go all in on gearhead simulation. Have hundreds of parts manufacturers, tiny variances in parts, and make each ounce in weight matter. Make it detailed enough that people have flamewars over what companies electrical wiring to put into their car.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

So F-Zero, in the style of Armored Core turned up to 11.

I'd buy the hell out of that

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress that, I'd just buy the poo poo out of literally any Armored Core they ever brought to the goddamn PC. Seriously I've not played the game since a demo disc for the PS1 and it's killing me, that poo poo is *totally* up my alley.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

about to start death stranding because it seemed thematically appropriate. i know next to nothing about it, i hope it doesn't suck rear end

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

death stranding is great

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Death Stranding is a really unique game that seems to turn something quite rote (running back and forth) and turns it into a really satisfying and engaging gameplay loop.

Don't say this around the dude in this thread that has a furiously throbbing hate-boner for Kojima though.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

well that beginning cutscene was terrifying haha

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wanted to like death stranding but hated the actual gameplay. Keeping balanced was very unsatisfying. The game felt like work. I mean, the game is work so it makes sense to make it feel like work, too. But I have too much to play and something I was not enjoying moved to the back of the line.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
F-zero is better than Wipeout

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Death Stranding is a really unique game that seems to turn something quite rote (running back and forth) and turns it into a really satisfying and engaging gameplay loop.

Don't say this around the dude in this thread that has a furiously throbbing hate-boner for Kojima though.

I heard people say early on that it's basically an on-foot version of games like Truck Simulator and Spintires.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It is for like, the first couple hours maybe but the upgrades come at you pretty quick.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

if the starting area is supposed to be DC it looks nothing like it. DC doesn't have mountains lmao

e: wait i'm dumb, i think i get it

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 11, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

guys Hitman 2 is pretty cheap right now should I buy it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard people say early on that it's basically an on-foot version of games like Truck Simulator and Spintires.

sort of. except there are vehicles and a fairly interesting scifi story and there is very occasional combat. and, of course, way more cutscenes.

i spent more time on the motorcycles than on foot personally

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's pretty fun and has a shitton of content. It's basically an adventure/puzzle game designed to be replayed over and over, if you can get into that kind of thing. May help that you can just start capping people if you're sick of their poo poo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hitman 2 owns and whittleton creek is one of my favorite levels

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i was playing rdr2 before i started death stranding, and i have to say it really lags toward the end. it's cool being able to explore a giant microcosm of america but what's not cool is rockstar's dumb missions

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I didn't like it quite as much as the first one but it's still a lot of fun, definitely worth it on sale.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

gently caress that, I'd just buy the poo poo out of literally any Armored Core they ever brought to the goddamn PC. Seriously I've not played the game since a demo disc for the PS1 and it's killing me, that poo poo is *totally* up my alley.
Have you looked into Daemon X Machina? I only tried the Switch demo, but it certainly had the same gameplay feel. The mechs are also designed by the same guy who made them for most of the AC games.

signalnoise posted:

F-zero is better than Wipeout
It pisses me off that any time a new futuristic racer comes out it's just more bloody Wipeout. Now Wipeout is a fine series but I more F-Zero.
The only one that I've seen that tries to emulate the formula is Super Speed, but that's been in early access for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCqxZeRes9g

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I miss Rollcage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The new ending of FFVII Remake sounds like enough directorial cowardice that Im probably gonna skip the game until its free packin somewhere.

Lodin posted:

It pisses me off that any time a new futuristic racer comes out it's just more bloody Wipeout. Now Wipeout is a fine series but I more F-Zero.
The only one that I've seen that tries to emulate the formula is Super Speed, but that's been in early access for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCqxZeRes9g

This is such a petty thing but this game doesnt feel fast to me/the speedometer looks like a lie. Either the buildings in that city are well over a kilometer wide or the speed gauge is lies. Assuming the former it takes out all the fun of going that fast and assuming the latter, why even show the number in an absolute translatable number then?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I loved F-Zero GX. The story mode was really hard, but the rest of the game is a really fun, fast feeling Arcade racer.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

The new ending of FFVII Remake sounds like enough directorial cowardice that Im probably gonna skip the game until its free packin somewhere.

do you always read the endings of games before you buy them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

do you always read the endings of games before you buy them?

Pretty much, yes, same for any other media.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
how does FF VII remake have an ending? I thought it was just disk 1

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

Pretty much, yes, same for any other media.

doesn't that kind of ruin the storytelling

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't know why people think Captain Falcon would be cut from Smash Bros. This is the series that still has the Ice Climbers and freaking Mr Game And Watch. Also he's hilarious.

Apparently the problem is Nintendo doesn't have any ideas for a new gimmick for F-Zero. And GX was developed by Sega anyway, iirc. Quite possibly they think it's redundant with Mario Kart and too niche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

Eh, not necessarily. I've read before that some cultures have a very different take on 'spoilers', and don't consider knowing the ending of a work to be a downside when it's the experience of watching it that matters. That, and it's not like we don't watch and play plenty of formulaic stuff where we know more or less how it's going to end, or old movies where the ending twist has been common knowledge since before we were born.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What platform? If you’re gonna be playing on PC it’s in the humble monthly thing so you can get it and two (I think) other things on the cheapest tier for something like 9 bucks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't know why people think Captain Falcon would be cut from Smash Bros. This is the series that still has the Ice Climbers and freaking Mr Game And Watch. Also he's hilarious.

Apparently the problem is Nintendo doesn't have any ideas for a new gimmick for F-Zero. And GX was developed by Sega anyway, iirc. Quite possibly they think it's redundant with Mario Kart and too niche.

they should just integrate the Fzero cars into mario kart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

they should just integrate the Fzero cars into mario kart

Mario Kart 8 does already have the Blue Falcon and two F-Zero tracks, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was about to say, the single best track in Mario Kart 8 is one of the F-Zero ones

Caesar Saladin posted:

I dont see why, I dont really view it any different than checking to see if a movie is well shot and acted or if a game has good gameplay. Its an aspect of the product and if I like it Id enjoy playing it with the whole experience.