Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
with naught but the ritual sacrifice of my sanity, I have finally completed the set, at 4:15 in the drat morning :suicide:

e: proving that this game has a psychic sensor programmed into it, the balloon that finally dropped it? I saw that it was a red one, and immediately thought "oh, it'll be a regular recipe, not a seasonal one, gently caress. Eh, might as well get it anyways, even if it's not what I'm looking for."

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
There is no way you're supposed to get 300 points in one day. The trophies have to be cumulative.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I have over 300 bait stockpiled. I cannot lose. :jecht:

Neither can the clams, apparently, as they keep reappearing on my shores.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

DarthBlingBling posted:

There is no way you're supposed to get 300 points in one day. The trophies have to be cumulative.

Really? It doesn't feel like it. I'm getting 7-10 points per go. I'm not trying to bash through it as quickly as possible, but I'm nearly halfway through the prizes as is. I'm expecting to get the rest when I log back on this afternoon.

Re-reading your post, I think I've got something wrong: I'm talking about prizes, not trophies. What's the score with trophies and where does the magic number 300 come from?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I'm talking trophies and was not responding specifically to you, or anyone for that matter

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Chris Pistols posted:

Really? It doesn't feel like it. I'm getting 7-10 points per go. I'm not trying to bash through it as quickly as possible, but I'm nearly halfway through the prizes as is. I'm expecting to get the rest when I log back on this afternoon.

Re-reading your post, I think I've got something wrong: I'm talking about prizes, not trophies. What's the score with trophies and where does the magic number 300 come from?

When you hit 300 as your all-time fishing tournament score (not just this one tourney event), I am hearing you get a gold fishing trophy and don't "need" to do any more tournaments, as there's nothing new to be gained.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Wow, CJ's dialogue could use some serious streamlining. It shouldn't take two dialogues to get your results and then sell your fish, and it definitely shouldn't take a third dialogue to then redeem your points! Why couldn't he be like Savannah and automatically ask if you want to trade in your points once you've got more than 10?

Especially heinous when you're playing co-op and everyone needs to talk to him to start the next round.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Wow, CJ's dialogue could use some serious streamlining. It shouldn't take two dialogues to get your results and then sell your fish, and it definitely shouldn't take a third dialogue to then redeem your points! Why couldn't he be like Savannah and automatically ask if you want to trade in your points once you've got more than 10?

Especially heinous when you're playing co-op and everyone needs to talk to him to start the next round.

That's honestly a pretty big annoyance with the game in general, especially when multiplayer gets involved. A lot of dialogue is very wordy, and some NPCs are just that long winded that you can't avoid everyone losing progress if someone decided to leave with the minus button.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
It's also kind of a middle-finger that you can still catch eggs during an active tourney :argh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
doing a quick survey here on behalf of nintendo;

what's everyone's favorite flavor of clam?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
what kind of fishing tournament starts later than dawn

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nuts, Phoebe left..

I only let her go only because she's a starter villager for me which means she doesn't have a cool custom house- it's just random poo poo but she really was rad. Wonder if I can find her again on a island :unsmith:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

doing a quick survey here on behalf of nintendo;

what's everyone's favorite flavor of clam?

I'd like to know this too - my tastes are a little manila compared to the average goon... :backtowork:

magimix posted:

It's also kind of a middle-finger that you can still catch eggs during an active tourney :argh:

Maybe it's all the spare hours I spent digging up clams over the last week saying this, but: perhaps running around to find fish shadows is not actually what you're supposed to do to win a "catch as many fish as you can in a short time period" kind of challenge.

In case you were not aware, Bait doesn't cause sunken trash or water eggs to appear.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nuts, Phoebe left..

I only let her go only because she's a starter villager for me which means she doesn't have a cool custom house- it's just random poo poo but she really was rad. Wonder if I can find her again on a island :unsmith:

Sorry to hear that, my other starting villager left so it's just me and Phoebe to represent the initial crew, it'd suck if she decided to move on (though I'm gonna let all villagers who want to move on do so because I kinda like that bittersweet feeling of watching an animal friend move away, plus a chance for new friends).

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Someone else back me up here; I can't be the only master baiter in this games forum.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I managed to hit 200 points today just doing it solo. I think I ended up using around 30 baits but if you don't already have bait stockpiled beforehand I think it is faster to just do it without. With bait I could get 11 points a run and without bait I think I averaged 7 or so. Running round looking for clams and then crafting them into bait would take longer than just doing another 3 minute loop.

I literally got over the 200 line on my last run as the bell chimed for 6pm.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lux Animus posted:

Someone else back me up here; I can't be the only master baiter in this games forum.

The amount of time it takes to dig up clams, skip through text boxes, craft bait, skip through more text boxes, etc. totally negates any time you're saving by using bait in the fishing tournament.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

The amount of time it takes to dig up clams, skip through text boxes, craft bait, skip through more text boxes, etc. totally negates any time you're saving by using bait in the fishing tournament.

Yeah, I agree with you on that - if anything, all of this highlights the need for batch crafting (especially with bait...) to reduce the amount of time spent plugging through the crafting windows ad nauseum. That said, for events like this you can definitely make a bunch of bait before there's a one-day fishing event going on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like maybe your fishing rod can't break during the tournament which is nice (or maybe I'm just lucky because I've only had mine break when I caught a fish right as the timer ran out)

Nintendo m-maybe it could always be like this

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The only cherry blossom recipes I got the whole time were the outside picnic set from Isabelle, on the one day nothing else was happening, and the wand. And I have seen a grand total of one (1) shooting star so far. But you know what? That's okay. There will be lots of other things.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lux Animus posted:

I'd like to know this too - my tastes are a little manila compared to the average goon... :backtowork:

Maybe it's all the spare hours I spent digging up clams over the last week saying this, but: perhaps running around to find fish shadows is not actually what you're supposed to do to win a "catch as many fish as you can in a short time period" kind of challenge.

In case you were not aware, Bait doesn't cause sunken trash or water eggs to appear.

No worries, I'm well aware of that. The emoticon is very much in jest, because the egg rate is waaaaaaaaay down compared to what it used to be, and I take the slight 'efficiency' hit in good grace. Currently 80 points away from 300.

Some eggs, or the donkey-work of getting clams and crafting bait? Enter the Thunderdome...

Edit: The short version is that I'm enjoying this event a lot, and I'm actually liking a lot of the item prizes too.

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 11, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The diy tables should have durability as well in this humble gamer's opinion

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

SeXReX posted:

Why are you so needlessly provocative :cry:

Edit: Or did I *completely* mis-interpret you there?

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 11, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Bait crafting might be the thing that makes me buy a turbo controller for the first time in my life. I normally set the controller down on my desk and mash A while I read the forums or something on my other monitor, but it'd be nice to be able to clamp the button down and go make coffee.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

SeXReX posted:

I honestly think they'll update the UI to show durability at some point. Usually you can come up with some spurious design or gameplay reason to justify weird decisions like that, but I haven't been able to come up with one to hide how much longer a shovel is going to last.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Look on, ye poor, and see your fortune from the future.

Seriously, I'm going to make a disgusting amount of bells with this. Apologies if it's been posted already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUc2KljVxSw

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finally got all the Cherry Blossom recipes just in time. And ended up grabbing all the Bamboo recipes as well in the process.

Ariza posted:

I honestly think they'll update the UI to show durability at some point. Usually you can come up with some spurious design or gameplay reason to justify weird decisions like that, but I haven't been able to come up with one to hide how much longer a shovel is going to last.

Most likely it's either Nintendo being Nintendo, they love to hide vital information for no good reason, or because the game was unfinished and there were a bunch of features they couldn't put in, as well as having less content than the previous games, like most of their first party Switch games.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Look on, ye poor, and see your fortune from the future.

Seriously, I'm going to make a disgusting amount of bells with this. Apologies if it's been posted already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUc2KljVxSw

this is 'every money tree you plant has a chance of capping at 30k or giving you 3x the full amount you plant' except the dude attempted mapped out the days that are supposed to be 3x for him by time travelling

i'm pretty sure it's been datamined that there's no pattern, just random chance so the video's entirely wrong

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

tommy and timmy were selling a skull radio + skull print flooring - is there any more skeleton themed furniture?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

flatluigi posted:

this is 'every money tree you plant has a chance of capping at 30k or giving you 3x the full amount you plant' except the dude attempted mapped out the days that are supposed to be 3x for him by time travelling

i'm pretty sure it's been datamined that there's no pattern, just random chance so the video's entirely wrong

Seems weird random chance would create such a distinct pattern? I mean, not saying it's not possible.

Though, I suppose turnip patterns were datamined, so I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that datamining should have found any money tree patterns?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Don't know about furniture, but I found a skeleton costume in the clothes shop

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How are y'all getting recipes from Isabelle?

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
My daughter has discovered you can buy bells on ebay. Aside from the risks of just being outright scammed out of $10, what are the chances Nintendo will catch on as a BUYER and ban her account?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Frankston posted:

How are y'all getting recipes from Isabelle?

Yeah, I don't remember getting the Picnic Set DIY from Isabelle...

Did anyone else get a special box of tissues from their Mom in the mail this morning, to mark the end of the cherry blossom (and allergy) season?

Thanks Mom. I'd been running low on socks... :backtowork:

I had so many piles of petals to pick up this morning. So glad I moved all my hardwood trees while they were highlighted in pink.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kripes posted:

My daughter has discovered you can buy bells on ebay. Aside from the risks of just being outright scammed out of $10, what are the chances Nintendo will catch on as a BUYER and ban her account?

i would be amazed if either person in that transaction got banned

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Help Im Alive posted:

tommy and timmy were selling a skull radio + skull print flooring - is there any more skeleton themed furniture?

There is an actual skeleton available for purchase. When I'm on later I can pass it to you so you can register it in your catalogue, if you like. PM me if you fancy it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

DarthBlingBling posted:

There is just way too much CJ dialogue for me to attempt 300 in one day. At least if i break it up over 2-3 seasons, it'll be a nice trophy at the end of it.

Help Im Alive posted:

It seems like maybe your fishing rod can't break during the tournament which is nice (or maybe I'm just lucky because I've only had mine break when I caught a fish right as the timer ran out)

Nintendo m-maybe it could always be like this
I mean the shovel already will not break while hitting rocks (until you're done), and the axe won't break until you're done hitting the tree, so it's actually possible they thought about this. I still packed a second rod just in case. Never broke one mid-tourney.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

kripes posted:

Cripes, kripes, at the very least make her do real-world chores around the house so that she can learn how hard work can translate into e-money so that she doesn't have to do e-chores to pay off her e-house loan.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

PancakeTransmission posted:

I mean the shovel already will not break while hitting rocks (until you're done), and the axe won't break until you're done hitting the tree, so it's actually possible they thought about this. I still packed a second rod just in case. Never broke one mid-tourney.

I know the thing about the shovel has been reported by others, but I have definitely lost Stone Axes 1-2 whacks into a tree, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kripes posted:

i'm not generally one to say "that's not how you should play this game"

but

that's not how you should play this game