Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Horrible pictures because I had my baby in one arm while trying to take pictures. Does anyone know what this seed is? It came in a pack of shade wildflower seeds.

Looks like a mushroom/fungus or a spider egg sack or something to me.

amethystbliss posted:

Yay! I'm so happy to have found this thread. I started my first ever gardening project in the fall - a tiny 4x4 raised bed cutting garden. I just kind of dumped a bunch of flower bulbs under some soil and hoped for the best. Now I have the prettiest garden blooming with anemones and ranunculus and I'm hooked.

I have a very dumb newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I live in the Bay Area (zone 10a) where the soil never freezes and the weather is pretty consistent all year round. Do I need to plant on a spring/fall schedule to plant new bulbs? Do seasons even matter somewhere with consistent climate, or can I just plant them whenever and watch everything bloom ~3 months later?
These are gorgeous! I love pretty flower pictures.Very jealous-my one attempt at growing ranunculus here was....not successful.

I'm with Oil of Paris-it probably matters, but experiment. Many plants respond to changes in day length as well as rainfall/temperature to figure out the seasons, but some don't and you may be able to trick them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Looks like a mushroom/fungus or a spider egg sack or something to me.

Sort of, eh? But you can very much see the hypocotl poking out of the seed test, which is still adhering to the cotyledons in the first picture.

I'm curious now.

and holy crap those ranunculus are gorgeous. I love ranunculus so much.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It doesn't look like any of the typical seeds found in most shade mixes and most mixes use a lot of the same stuff. Stuff like Lobularia, Echinacea, Mimulus, Linum, Cheiranthus, Aquilegia, poppies, Digitalis etc

You wouldn't happen to know the company that produced the seed mix?

I actually got the mix from an Etsy shop. Come to think of it, I can probably shoot the seller a message and ask. I post what I find out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Maybe it's some kind of native legume/bean/pea? There are quite a few pretty ones.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Maybe it's some kind of native legume/bean/pea? There are quite a few pretty ones.

I was leaning toward this, too.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm in a yellow/orange mood this year. Starting some Calendula and a Tagetes mix for fun today.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm very invested in this seed now.

I was wondering if it was a sweet pea at one point myself. I don't think it is but it might be another legume!

It sort of (as in not really) looks like a cannabis seed.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

Yay! I'm so happy to have found this thread. I started my first ever gardening project in the fall - a tiny 4x4 raised bed cutting garden. I just kind of dumped a bunch of flower bulbs under some soil and hoped for the best. Now I have the prettiest garden blooming with anemones and ranunculus and I'm hooked.
Wow, the cut flower photos are so beautiful. I would love to use them as sketch/watercolor reference some time, would you be okay with that?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

The seller says that he believes it’s a lupine seed. From google searching it looks to me like arroyo lupine.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Idlewild_ posted:

Wow, the cut flower photos are so beautiful. I would love to use them as sketch/watercolor reference some time, would you be okay with that?

Is there a water color or art thread on SA cuz :same:

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Idlewild_ posted:

Absolutely, would love to see what you create! I own a small photography business, so taking pics of these spring blooms has been a fun way to stay creative these days since I'm not working with clients :). Many more photos more where those come from if anyone is interested. Between Floret Flowers seeds, a second raised bed, and floral arrangement accessories, my money is all gone.

Oil of Paris posted:

That's not a dumb question! I had to do a little digging to find the answer, but it sounds like you'll want to obey the planting schedule, as the bulbs still go into their dormancy period which will happen even when the temperature is rather constant. It does sounds like they love the climate and do exceptionally well if the soil is agreeable to them.

Personally, I always like to experiment and gently caress with plants, so maybe chuck a few fall/spring planting bulbs in the ground at the opposite planting time and see what goes down >:]
Thanks so much for this! It was so strange that I couldn't find the answer to that anywhere. I have a few more anemone bulbs arriving this week so I'll plant a few and see what happens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

amethystbliss posted:

Absolutely, would love to see what you create! I own a small photography business, so taking pics of these spring blooms has been a fun way to stay creative these days since I'm not working with clients :). Many more photos more where those come from if anyone is interested. Between Floret Flowers seeds, a second raised bed, and floral arrangement accessories, my money is all gone.

Thanks so much for this! It was so strange that I couldn't find the answer to that anywhere. I have a few more anemone bulbs arriving this week so I'll plant a few and see what happens.

You picked out a wonderful mix of colors there!

If you’re going to continue to expand that amazing cutting garden, check out Floret Flowers. They’re a flower seed/bulb farm in the Skagit Valley in the PNW. Outside it being a little colder in the winter, the climate is quite similar.

Anyways, here’s some progress in my own yard.

Dahlias in the front, tomatoes to the left (almost 2’ tall!!), various flowers center and hot peppers in the upper right.

Acer palmatum “Shishigashira”, first maple to leaf out in my yard. The spring colors should be incredible!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

You picked out a wonderful mix of colors there!

If you’re going to continue to expand that amazing cutting garden, check out Floret Flowers. They’re a flower seed/bulb farm in the Skagit Valley in the PNW. Outside it being a little colder in the winter, the climate is quite similar.
I actually mentioned Floret in my last post - I'm a little obsessed! I went overboard with my first purchase- got some shirley poppies, california poppies, iceland poppies (which I later realized are above my capabilities at this stage). Also picked up some cosmos and more pastel colors of ranunculus and anemones. Now to figure out where and when to plant it all...

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

These are gorgeous! I love pretty flower pictures.Very jealous-my one attempt at growing ranunculus here was....not successful.

Yeah I'm with you on ranunculus. We've never had a good one come up, they all end up dying. I figured it was a drainage issue from the winter just being too drat wet, but we have dahlias that overwinter so well that they have spread all over and are downright weeds. Now I think I'm just under some kind of ranunculus curse

amethystbliss posted:

Exciting times! If you decide to get into more flowering perennials, let me know and I'd be happy to recommend some underutilized but awesome plants. I'm always ready to talk baptisia lol

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I've been using all my extra time at home to organise my greenhouse, starting to look a lot better and I'm finding some sorely needed space...

I've been growing an absurd amount of cacti (and to a lesser extent, other succulents) from seed, but lately I've been swept up by a weird need to try to grow really weird, obscure South African bulbs. The good thing about them is that they're mostly winter-growers, which gives me something to do and be occupied by while all the cacti and succulents go dormant over the cooler months.

Anyway, this seed-sowing compulsion is going to reach a critical mass soon. I first started in 2017, and from that year, I'd guess that I have about a 5% survival rate from sowing about 2000 seeds. I didn't have much of a clue, and gradually my little seedlings succumbed to pests, neglect or poor cultural practices. I tried again in 2018, sowing about 3000 seeds, and while my survival rate grew to about 80%, poor practice still resulted in seedlings that were stunted and poorly grown. They're all mostly still alive, just much smaller than they should be at this age.

Last year, I sowed a stupid 4000 seeds and now, almost 100% survival AND they're big and robust and healthy. And now I'm facing the cactus apocalypse. Where the hell am I supposed to house this ungodly number of plants when they inevitably need to be potted up? Maybe by then I'll build a bigger greenhouse.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jealous as all hell. I struggle to get my cacti and succs more than half-level sun

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Open a cactus store?! Pretty impressive greenhouse and improvement in survival rates!

Oil of Paris posted:

Yeah I'm with you on ranunculus. We've never had a good one come up, they all end up dying. I figured it was a drainage issue from the winter just being too drat wet, but we have dahlias that overwinter so well that they have spread all over and are downright weeds. Now I think I'm just under some kind of ranunculus curse

Exciting times! If you decide to get into more flowering perennials, let me know and I'd be happy to recommend some underutilized but awesome plants. I'm always ready to talk baptisia lol
I think ranunculus are just not well adapted to the south at all. I got 2 flowers off mine. They don't like to be wet and we ave wet. I think they probably need to be planted in fall and left to grow overwinter like poppies or something, but it's so wet in winter that they don't like that either. Maybe planting in August/September so they have a dry couple months to come up in?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

elgarbo posted:

Last year, I sowed a stupid 4000 seeds and now, almost 100% survival AND they're big and robust and healthy. And now I'm facing the cactus apocalypse. Where the hell am I supposed to house this ungodly number of plants when they inevitably need to be potted up? Maybe by then I'll build a bigger greenhouse.

Maybe start the great goon cactus exchange? Your greenhouse and plants look amazing

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

amethystbliss posted:

I actually mentioned Floret in my last post - I'm a little obsessed! I went overboard with my first purchase- got some shirley poppies, california poppies, iceland poppies (which I later realized are above my capabilities at this stage). Also picked up some cosmos and more pastel colors of ranunculus and anemones. Now to figure out where and when to plant it all...

Oh wow, I totally skipped over that, sorry!

So those Dahlias are the Bee's Choice mix, and I've got around 75 to plant in my front bed and I'll be mixing Celosia (Pampas Plume) and Globe Amaranth (Sunset Mix). I went a little crazy with the poppies as well, but I'll be seeding those straight into the ground (Thai Silk Pink Champagne and Appleblossom Chiffon) and adding some Apricot Lemonade Cosmos to that mix. And yeah, I made a late order for Sherbet Snapdragons but gently caress it, it was worth it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Your greenhouse looks lovely!

elgarbo posted:

This is the problem with making more plants; you have to figure out what to do with them afterwards. I had a few Sedum species sent to me dry root a while ago and a decent number of leaves fell off in shipping so I decided to try and propagate them in the laziest way possible so they have just been sitting on some soil after drying out for a while and now they are starting to put out roots. I have no plans for what I will do with 20 tiny Sedum rubrotinctums if they actually survive. I also have a large and poorly cared for Aloe nobilis that I couldn't resist at bargain basement Home Depot prices that had one of its heads poo poo the bed—I kept the leaves since they can apparently be propagated that way but I don't know what the hell I am going to attempt to plant them in.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I have a bunch of rooted nepenthes cuttings from the fall that I don't even want

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh wow, I totally skipped over that, sorry!

So those Dahlias are the Bee's Choice mix, and I've got around 75 to plant in my front bed and I'll be mixing Celosia (Pampas Plume) and Globe Amaranth (Sunset Mix). I went a little crazy with the poppies as well, but I'll be seeding those straight into the ground (Thai Silk Pink Champagne and Appleblossom Chiffon) and adding some Apricot Lemonade Cosmos to that mix. And yeah, I made a late order for Sherbet Snapdragons but gently caress it, it was worth it.

I also got the Thai Silk Pink Champagne poppies! Planning to seed straight into the ground (in the fall?). The Iceland Poppies (Pastel Meadows) seem to require starting indoors and I don't have any of that equipment yet. Jealous you got the Apricot Lemonade Cosmos. There weren't many options left, so I got the cosmos in Cupcake White. I think I'm most excited for the Amazing Grey Shirley poppies - I just love the muted tones. Really hoping for the Mother of Pearl poppies once they're available.

elgarbo, that greenhouse looks amazing!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

amethystbliss posted:

I also got the Thai Silk Pink Champagne poppies! Planning to seed straight into the ground (in the fall?). The Iceland Poppies (Pastel Meadows) seem to require starting indoors and I don't have any of that equipment yet. Jealous you got the Apricot Lemonade Cosmos. There weren't many options left, so I got the cosmos in Cupcake White. I think I'm most excited for the Amazing Grey Shirley poppies - I just love the muted tones. Really hoping for the Mother of Pearl poppies once they're available.

elgarbo, that greenhouse looks amazing!

Nth on the greenhouse, I’m quite jealous!

I’m going to try and seed them right now to be honest. I tried growing them in a tray in my hotbed but a half hour at 95 degrees killed most of them off. They’re delicate little buggers but if I can get them established then they should reseed that bed very easily.

The muted tones are incredibly classy. Outside of the cosmos/poppies bed I’m just going for a cacophony of color. The red to yellow tones of the celosia and amaranth should go really well with the dahlias, and I’ve got another bed with Sahara mix black eyed susans and two types of black eyed susan vines. Park Seed, Blushing and Sunrise Surprise.

Also can’t forget the sunflowers (Evening Sun, Velvet Queen and Autumn Beauty). All three excellent and easy to find varieties that hit about 8-12 feet, have multiple blooms per stalk (my record last year was two dozen) and the colors range from deep reddish brown to bright yellow with everything in between.

I’m no expert when it comes to landscape design but my wife has a good eye and approved all the combinations so I’m hoping this turns out well.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

At least IME that yellow bamboo isn't as invasive as most bamboo, but that's like saying coronavirus isn't as contagious as the measles. The PO did you and all your neighbors a big favor by planting it in a trough. If it's the variety I think it is, that's pretty much what it looks like-it's not going to get a bunch more leaves on it. You could try and fertilizer it, but its likely rootbound in the trough and has grown as much as it can in the small area to which it is blessedly confined. If you want bigger bamboo, you probably would have to take it out of the trough, but be prepared to have bamboo randomly start appearing early every summer anywhere in about a 50' radius around those plants.

My advice would be

and plant something else that will do the things you want (privacy etc)

Hm. The problem is whatever replaces it needs to be about that tall. My fence line runs along an alleyway and my neighbors front door faces straight into my yard and it is elevated so he can see in without even trying. I guess I could maybe build some sort of trellis along the fenceline. Or maybe just a series of tall posts and something dumb like peace flags or whatever.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Hm. The problem is whatever replaces it needs to be about that tall. My fence line runs along an alleyway and my neighbors front door faces straight into my yard and it is elevated so he can see in without even trying. I guess I could maybe build some sort of trellis along the fenceline. Or maybe just a series of tall posts and something dumb like peace flags or whatever.

What about planting some mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius)? I just put down a couple as specimen plants but they can make a mean-rear end hedge screen. They grow quickly, have dense foliage, tight branches for when they go deciduous and also smell incredible with great flowers. Will get about 12 feet high. Real classy native plant imo

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I have a question actually! I almost posted this in the bonsai thread because I'll bet they see this poo poo all the time.

I have two trees, one bald cyress (Taxodium distichum) and one arizona blue cypress (Cupressus arizonica var. glabra 'Blue Pyramid') that have suffered a great injustice: they were brutally ravaged by bunnies or deer at some point and their cambium was completely torn off around the tree, leaving them girdled. everything turned brown, they completely defoliated, the whole nine yards. Tragic. And thus I assumed that they were surely dead.

However, plants are tough, and so what do I see this year but a powerful shoots of new growth from both from below the line of chewed up cambium. The bald cypress already looks like he's down to form some new branches to make into leaders! And the blue seems to be putting all of his energy into a promising branch near the base of the tree. Very exciting.

But what should I do with the dead stuff? How can I safely remove it from the living plant? It's like there's all this life merrily going along underneath these rotted spires of bunny-induced failure. I would love to just give them the ol snip snip, but I'm concerned about leaving a wound that would be prone to disease.

Has anyone run into situations like this before? I can supply pics if I'm not explaining it well. I very much want these bad boys to live now, especially since they've proven that no piece of poo poo bunny is going to keep them down!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

What about planting some mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius)? I just put down a couple as specimen plants but they can make a mean-rear end hedge screen. They grow quickly, have dense foliage, tight branches for when they go deciduous and also smell incredible with great flowers. Will get about 12 feet high. Real classy native plant imo

I have a Philadelphus that I love that's blooming right now, and it would be a good option. They do indeed grow quite quickly (mine is 10-12' tall and been in the ground 3yrs?, but are deciduous so it might not give a ton of screening in winter? Not all of them smell either (mine doesn't, to my disappointment) so if you buy one, try to buy it when it's in bloom and make sure it smells good. They are also called English dogwood sometimes, and the flowers and leaves do look much like a dogwood.

A trellis with an evergreen vine would be a good option too. Carolina or confederate/asiatic jasmine would probably cover that in a year (along with a good chunk of your fence) and give nice yellow blooms in very early spring for Carolina or very fragrant blooms off and on all summer for the confederate/asiatic (I can't ever remember which is which).

Whoever was trying to kill jasmine earlier, strong roundup mixed with a few squirts of dish soap will do it, but you might have to do it a few times.

E:

Oil of Paris posted:

But what should I do with the dead stuff? How can I safely remove it from the living plant? It's like there's all this life merrily going along underneath these rotted spires of bunny-induced failure. I would love to just give them the ol snip snip, but I'm concerned about leaving a wound that would be prone to disease.

Has anyone run into situations like this before? I can supply pics if I'm not explaining it well. I very much want these bad boys to live now, especially since they've proven that no piece of poo poo bunny is going to keep them down!
I think you can cut off the dead stuff no problem. You can make a wound now that hopefully the new growth will heal/absorb/grow over, or you can wait for the old trunk to rot and have a wound that is already rotting. The baldcypress honestly probably won't care either way-they're pretty okay with being partly rotten and also pretty good at fighting off rot. Is the new growth all coming from the base of the plant, or does it seem like some part of the trunk is still alive and it's putting new growth on from up top? Either way it's probably best to let the new sucker from the base be the new trunk and get rid of the old one so it quits wasting energy on a lost cause.

I planted a baldcypress for my parents a few years ago and somehow the top of the trunk came off (wind? my dad decided to top it? I can't at all remember) and I was worried because many conifers don't sprout new growth right behind a cut and only have a single dominant growing tip, but my forester friend said it would pick a new leader. Lo and behold, a year or two later, one branch (and only one-there was no competition, this was an executive decision by whatever brain trees don't have) that used to be 90 degrees to the trunk has stood itself upright and now basically looks like the old main trunk. Plants are so cool.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 10, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My motion activated sprinkler arrived two days early, and I just set it up this afternoon! :D

Now to find out if it works.

It detects me at close range, so hopefully that’s good.

I am wondering if the sprinkler head has more than one axis of motion. Like can it aim down to hit things that are close to it, or is it side-to-side only?

EDIT: Well it just detected SOMETHING. I have it set up right outside my bedroom window and I just heard it go off.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 10, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Careful, this is all fun and games until Skynet starts

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good News: My new motion sprinkler seems to work.

Bad News: The spraying range on it sucks major rear end. It’s supposed to be able to spray up to 40’ or 45’, but near as I can tell it only sprays about 10’ or 15’. I found a couple of new turds that were both outside of spraying distance, which tells me it’s at least doing something, but I need to get that range up!

I can think of two possible issues:

1. The sprinkler’s range isn’t nearly as good as advertised.
2. My hose isn’t putting out enough water pressure (it’s one of those dumbass shrinking hoses that shrivels up when there’s no water, so this wouldn’t surprise me).

What do y’all think? How can I improve my sprinkler’s range?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I. M. Gei posted:

Good News: My new motion sprinkler seems to work.

Bad News: The spraying range on it sucks major rear end. It’s supposed to be able to spray up to 40’ or 45’, but near as I can tell it only sprays about 10’ or 15’. I found a couple of new turds that were both outside of spraying distance, which tells me it’s at least doing something, but I need to get that range up!

I can think of two possible issues:

1. The sprinkler’s range isn’t nearly as good as advertised.
2. My hose isn’t putting out enough water pressure (it’s one of those dumbass shrinking hoses that shrivels up when there’s no water, so this wouldn’t surprise me).

What do y’all think? How can I improve my sprinkler’s range?

You should get more and configure a kill zone. Keep rotating the sprinklers so the cats can't figure out the different dead spots.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I fixed my range problem. Turns out I turned one of the distance knobs the wrong way. :doh:

Bi-la kaifa posted:

You should get more and configure a kill zone. Keep rotating the sprinklers so the cats can't figure out the different dead spots.

I want to get one more Garden Enforcer and a couple of Yard Enforcers. The Garden Enforcers can go along the middle of the wall and spray things walking on the fence, while the Yard Enforcers can go in the corners opposite the wall on both ends of the garden and squirt everything on the ground.

It’ll cost out the rear end though. :(

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hi thread, can anyone identify this cactus? Also, is it OK that's it's growing back like that? I'm worried it might break.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Hi thread, can anyone identify this cactus? Also, is it OK that's it's growing back like that? I'm worried it might break.

Looks like one of many types of Opuntia to me but I am not a cactus expert by any means. Is it getting good sun? It looks like the new growth is stretching.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 11, 2020

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Weatherman said we're supposed to get some snow next week, which is complete BS. Might lose all the wildflower seeds I had sown a few weeks ago.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
They might be cool as long as it’s just snow and there isn’t a hard freeze. Might even protect them from freezing winds that royally gently caress up new plants

A freeze just happened here and I feel kinda bad but also kinda not for all the preppers that just bought a million tomatoes to plant in their new raised beds lol

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 12, 2020

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

Wallet has it right on both counts - it's some sort of Optuntia (prickly pear) and it's definitely not getting enough light. Those new growths are growing long and thin seeking out the sun.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

elgarbo posted:

Wallet has it right on both counts - it's some sort of Optuntia (prickly pear) and it's definitely not getting enough light. Those new growths are growing long and thin seeking out the sun.

My cactus collection is marginally less impressive than elgarbo's (I only have one), but speaking of new growth and Opuntias, the Depot refugee Autrocylindropuntia subulata f. cristata I posted earlier has started branching (padding?) right at its two edges, and I am interested in how that is going to play out. First it put out a bunch of tiny little leaves and now it's stretchin'.

The right one is kind of hard to see because I am bad at cameras:

But the left one is pretty clear:

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 13, 2020

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The Episcia decided that today was the day for its first flower since I took it home over a year ago. :3

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We're planning on getting all 11 trees in front of our house cut down. Most of them are tall pines, plus one or two oaks and maples. We'll still have tons of trees on the sides of the house and in the backyard, but the front yard is really kind of a mess and the trees are definitely within falling range of the house (and power lines).

However, we are thinking of then planting 2 "Hall's Hardy Almond" trees, one on each side of that same space. We figure they'll have the advantages of being quite a bit smaller, prettier, and more useful.

Having never done this sort of thing before, I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has any warnings or general tips. Some things I'm wondering are, when can we plant them? (Haven't ordered yet.) Also, the stumps of the old trees will be ground, but the roots just kind of stay there I guess? Does that present any problems for the new trees or does it all just kinda take care of itself? (Probably a stupid question, but again, never done this before.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally planted the last of my espalier apple trees last night! :woop:

(at least until Stark Bros sends me that other Starkspur Golden Delicious they owe me :argh:)

Now I have two peach trees and a cherry tree to plant, which are in a cooler with a (very) little bit of coco fiber. I was gonna plant those today, but my shoulder got pretty sore planting the aforementioned apple trees (there were 10 of them), so I might wait until tomorrow to do that part. The peach trees have a bunch of green on them though — one of them is leafing and the other still has a lot of green on its new branches — so hopefully I’m not hurting them too much by waiting. :ohdear: