Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my experience, "a bit closer than you'd think" is the optimal distance, although obviously that's based on my own instincts. In Civ V, the optimal play was to grow every city as big as possible, so you wanted minimal overlap. Here, city populations tend to be lower, and the field effects encourage density. The district adjacency bonuses also do this. You can get good mileage out of a solid block of districts from different cities. If you only have a few mountains in your empire, there's benefit in clustering the holy sites/campuses of multiple districts there, or putting multiple holy sites around a big natural wonder, or building a couple of theatre districts around a central wonder. I mentioned before that farms should be set up in triangles-- the triangles still work when their tiles belong to different towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Overlapping city tiles is fine, and probably the optimal strategy since very few of your cities will grow large enough to work all of their tiles and wide play is more powerful than tall play in 6. Potato Mcwhiskey made a good video on analyzing start locations, but the same applies to settling your other cities too.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I like to put three tiles between my cities, there’s a bit of overlap, but really you only care about the first two rings, while the third is nice to have.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the secondary bonus to settling cities tighter is that you can double dip on district adjacency bonuses due to the overlap if you plan well

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's been a good strategy to overlap cities since Civ1. In fact the biggest mistake new civ players make is going out of their way NOT to overlap their cities.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

How does power work? Does every city need an industrial district now?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

LiterallyATomato posted:

How does power work? Does every city need an industrial district now?

No. Power from industrial zone buildings has a regional effect like factories. Also you can get power from tile improvements like solar plants, or from dam districts as an alternative if you don't need or want to build IZs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

HappyCamperGL posted:

No. Power from industrial zone buildings has a regional effect like factories. Also you can get power from tile improvements like solar plants, or from dam districts as an alternative if you don't need or want to build IZs.

To add to this, you even get power if the improvements are outside workable range. The same is true of housing, actually.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus. I forgot how good Russia is in Civ VI. I'm making GBS threads Great People out my ears.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, am I right in suggesting that trying to get renewables up and running as soon as possible is a good idea?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Also, am I right in suggesting that trying to get renewables up and running as soon as possible is a good idea?

It depends.

The advantage of renewables is not causing climate change, not requiring a strategic resource, and generally being cheaper to produce. A coal plant requires an IZ, two buildings to be built as a prerequisite. A wind farm is one builder charge.

There are also strategies around weaponising climate change. Running all the coal powerplants and using the production advantage to rush flood barriers before the ice caps melt.

Renewables also help with getting more diplo favour. But outside of a diplo victory that doesn't really matter.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

an AI offered to trade me a lump sum of gold for my elephants, and then immediately declared war on me when i accepted the trade

why is this

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

an AI offered to trade me a lump sum of gold for my elephants, and then immediately declared war on me when i accepted the trade

why is this

Don't try to understand these AI. They are vast and timeless, we are but ants compared to them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why is this

In Civ V they'd try to screw you over by doing the opposite such was fun to see

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i guess im the house of saud now

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not played any Civ6 for a while now, and something about that screenshot was bothering me. Just looking at all the pretty yeild icons made me yearn for a game, but something about the minimap and the city placement on the world was wrong, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe something that Rise&Fall or Gathering Storm added? ...It took me at least 30 seconds of staring before I realized what an idiot I am.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Serephina posted:

I've not played any Civ6 for a while now, and something about that screenshot was bothering me. Just looking at all the pretty yeild icons made me yearn for a game, but something about the minimap and the city placement on the world was wrong, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe something that Rise&Fall or Gathering Storm added? ...It took me at least 30 seconds of staring before I realized what an idiot I am.

Don’t worry, give it enough time and you’ll instantly be able to see how absolutely disgusting images like this are. The Pretty Border Faction disapproves of such monstrosity.

I’ve played enough Civ to instantly recognize it, but the lack of districts and a worker unit are also a big hint.

Thinking about districts, I would like to see it done with a “bigger” map. That is, in civ vi split each hex into 6 smaller hexes but still have the cities themselves take up the original space. Districts (and units) would then only use one of the smaller hexes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Maguoob posted:

That is, in civ vi split each hex into 6 smaller hexes

7 ;)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

I had 6 on the brain and now my mistake will live forever, thanks. :derp:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

To go back to arguing about yield icons for a bit:

Cogs I get. Hammers I get. But why shields??

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

WhiteHowler posted:

I had a similar question: How close is too close? In previous Civ games (especially the really old ones) I tried to have few/no overlapping tiles in the city radius, but those used to be pre-defined, rather than growing like they do in VI.

Overlapping is good, but the motivating factor IMO about where to settle a city should just be maximizing the benefits to that city and what you want it to do.

That's sort of why I think the complaints about Civ6 cities having no personality is bunk. Often when you go to settle a city you have to make hard choices about what they are going to be. If I move one tile THIS way, I'll get an extra copy of this luxury resource that I could trade. But if I move it one over HERE, I can grab this tile which will let me get +3 adjacency bonus on a Holy Site or Campus. Or if I drop it down over THERE, I'll get some really productive hills and can drop an Industrial zone that overlaps with my capital.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is Civ 6 for switch any good? I'm thinking of picking it up. I already play Civ 6 on PC so don't need general advice for the game just for the port. Are larger maps playable or is it too slow / bogged down?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

divx posted:

Overlapping city tiles is fine, and probably the optimal strategy since very few of your cities will grow large enough to work all of their tiles and wide play is more powerful than tall play in 6. Potato Mcwhiskey made a good video on analyzing start locations, but the same applies to settling your other cities too.

My perspective has always been that the advantage of a better first city location is outweighed by burning crucial early turns to get to that location. I can always make a later city the true capital and come out ahead.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Is Civ 6 for switch any good? I'm thinking of picking it up. I already play Civ 6 on PC so don't need general advice for the game just for the port. Are larger maps playable or is it too slow / bogged down?

I've been really pleased with it. You get used to the controls pretty quickly and performance is pretty good on normal/large games. The biggest annoyance is panning across the map with the thumbstick, but I think that's offset by relaxing on your couch.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

To go back to arguing about yield icons for a bit:

Cogs I get. Hammers I get. But why shields??

Not every idea that comes along is a winner. We can only hope the better ideas (hammers and cogs to represent industrial activity) replace the less good ideas (shields to represent industrial activity).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I've been really pleased with it. You get used to the controls pretty quickly and performance is pretty good on normal/large games. The biggest annoyance is panning across the map with the thumbstick, but I think that's offset by relaxing on your couch.
The switch can run large sized maps of Civ6 with good performance? That's very impressive. Both of the switch and whoever managed to port it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Poil posted:

The switch can run large sized maps of Civ6 with good performance? That's very impressive. Both of the switch and whoever managed to port it.

Well, pretty good. It crunches battery life and makes the Switch run hot and it's certainly slower than on a PC, but it's mobile Civ 6 and what's not to like? Made time evaporate on a trip between D.C. and NYC I made pre-pandemic.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Poil posted:

It works much better than it should. Huge lategame map is slow but not unplayable. Playing on the go is unbeatable.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alright, more competition for Civilization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTwUvZyftgM

I'm guessing this is what the previously announced "10 Crowns" has become.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Looking forward to the steam release of this and some reviews.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

Looks like a sort of civ/crusader kings hybrid, which, as someone who likes the concept of CK but is too stupid to actually play it, I'm interested in. I'll wait for some reviews though, that map really looks like a civ 5 mod

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just wish the switch version of the game had Strategic View. I love that art style. (or does it, and I missed the button for it?)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

with a name like old world i hope it doesn't just, yknow, end in the old world era lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

with a name like old world i hope it doesn't just, yknow, end in the old world era lol

500 AD, I read somewhere.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Looking forward to the steam release of this and some reviews.

The trailer says it's exclusive to the Epic Games Store, but... that might just mean that early access is exclusive and it'll be timed like a number of "exclusives" have been. I really wish different words would be used for those two vastly different situations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So which version of Eleanor of Aquitaine do you all like? French version has that bonus to various wonders (which would store Great Works) but the overall industrial boost that England gets might make the early game easier before you can get the Great People rolling in.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm more fond of the England one, but admittedly I think a lot of that is Scarborough Fair and the braids and flowers hair.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

French Eleanor is absolutely hilarious to play if you can survive long enough for her loyalty bonus to start kicking in. At some point I'm going to try it on a Huge Pangaea to see if I can take over the entire planet through loyalty alone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fascinating idea in that game - "orders" are a resource you accumulate and you spend them to move units :stare:. Quite a bold move, but I'd love to see it in action.

edit: shall I make a thread

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Fascinating idea in that game - "orders" are a resource you accumulate and you spend them to move units :stare:. Quite a bold move, but I'd love to see it in action.

I think this has been tried, or at least suggest before. It was supposed to have been tried in Master of Orion 3, but I don't know if it was actually implemented there though since that game is incomprehensible.

But I like the idea as well. It will definitely need to be tweaked in countless patches, but I think it can be done right after some experimentation.