Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redreader posted:

Now that people have played this for presumably 15 hours or more: How is it?

I read there's a lot of filler and going in-depth on some characters and stuff. I like that idea of character expansion. Are there new areas? One thing I loved about FF7 was the materia system and the clever combinations. How is that here? Are you playing 40 hours with poo poo materia? Do you only get some of them? Like I remember you don't have much by the time you left midgar, and in the end there was poo poo like final cut - phoenix summon.

Is there a review maybe that everyone agrees is accurate?

There is a lot of filler in that it spends a lot more time developing characters and the setting. There are a couple of new areas but nowhere super significant. The materia system is kind of in between. You get a good amount of strong Materia and a number of summons you didn't get until much later but you're not going to be doing mime-final-cut stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

Now that people have played this for presumably 15 hours or more: How is it?

I read there's a lot of filler and going in-depth on some characters and stuff. I like that idea of character expansion. Are there new areas? One thing I loved about FF7 was the materia system and the clever combinations. How is that here? Are you playing 40 hours with poo poo materia? Do you only get some of them? Like I remember you don't have much by the time you left midgar, and in the end there was poo poo like final cut - phoenix summon.

Is there a review maybe that everyone agrees is accurate?

There are a lot more materia in the game than were present in Midgar in the original, and a lot more weapon and armor options, too. There are also new materia to play with that didn't exist at all in the original. No Final Attack-Phoenix or Mime stuff in this one, though.

It has a full level/power progression, in that you'll finish out this game with third-level spells (Firaga, Curaga, etc.), thousands of HP, kickass gear, stuff like that, so you aren't stuck with just the few spells you had in the original Midgar section.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The second last Shinra vr battle is hosed. Too much opportunity to just get RNGd out unless there's something I don't understand about when a tonberry will cast doom and gloom. I also can't see any no instant death materia/items

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

The second last Shinra vr battle is hosed. Too much opportunity to just get RNGd out unless there's something I don't understand about when a tonberry will cast doom and gloom. I also can't see any no instant death materia/items

Warding + Subversion is instant death immunity.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

the story is that cloud is in a city where everyone is insanely horny except for him

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

HD DAD posted:

I know it’s been spoiled and mentioned several times, but actually playing this...I’m absolutely convinced this is a time loop. And Cloud and maybe Aerith are somewhat aware of this subconsciously. The “flower for reunited lovers” in chapter two made it click for me.

Aerith definitely knows, and Sephiroth/Jenova does too. Red XIII might know something is up too

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

VagueRant posted:

over "HEY WE'RE RIVALS, REMEMBER WHEN I KILLED YOUR MOM?" an hour in.

It's Garth Marenghi's Final Fantasy 7!

"I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Warding + Subversion is instant death immunity.

Ah I didn't see the combination. Didn't matter in the end, the best defence is a strong offence. If you carefully get ATB then just hit Tonberries with firaga cast on arcane ward they can't get a moment.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Did I miss All materia, or has it just not come up yet (because obviously it's really good)? I'm in Chapter 8 working on the Sector 5 sidequests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Did I miss All materia, or has it just not come up yet (because obviously it's really good)? I'm in Chapter 8 working on the Sector 5 sidequests.

It has a different name now. It's the Magnify materia and it's fairly rare. IIRC it's from one of Chadley's things

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think you can only get one all materia. It's obviously good with healing but the expensive 3rd tier barrier is a good contender. I usually stick this on a HP+ luck+ fighty character with first strike so they can drop the mitigation spell then start doing abilities while the MP+ characters do the heavy lifting on spells.

Hell yeah I beat a Malboro.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 11, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that you can't recapture that particular flame. Everyone who is going to play this game knows who Sephiroth is. There is no surprise there. You can't quite recapture that feeling and that's something Remake takes pretty central to heart. It doesn't attempt to hide the secrets it knows its playerbase knows but instead tries to invest them in new ones. It's a debate if it works or not but it's absolutely not a "they don't understand foreshadowing" but a "they know absolutely that people already know this character and his deal." It's telling that a big chunk of the game involves the fate of Wedge of all characters because that is something the player isn't sure about.

I would venture to bet that there are actually a large percentage of people playing FF7R that never played the original. It's got the hype and a lot of people are going to say "I can finally see what the hype has been about all these years!"

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

JBP posted:

I think you can only get one all materia. It's obviously good with healing but the expensive 3rd tier barrier is a good contender. I usually stick this on a HP+ luck+ fighty character with first strike so they can drop the mitigation spell then start doing abilities while the MP+ characters do the heavy lifting on spells.

Hell yeah I beat a Malboro.

Why luck+ ? For the critical hits? Does luck affect anything else but criticals and boxes?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pennfalath posted:

Why luck+ ? For the critical hits? Does luck affect anything else but criticals and boxes?

Yeah the crits. When you infinity's end some clown for 9999 you'll give that sweet purple rock a little kiss and say that'll do.

I mean it does other stuff. If it gives you more mp regen boxes that's great on hard.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Just got the game and didn't realize it was episodic. Do we know if it's gonna be separate games or dlc or hopefully free?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eat The Rich posted:

Just got the game and didn't realize it was episodic. Do we know if it's gonna be separate games or dlc or hopefully free?
Seperate games but this one is like 30-40 hours evidently.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eat The Rich posted:

You pay for them all next question

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Oof my wallet

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Eat The Rich posted:

or hopefully free?

hahahaha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf its not like paying for a 40 hour long game is exactly a ripoff but yeah they did need to put 'ff7 remake - episode of midgar' or 'ff7 remake disc 1' in the title or something.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I would venture to bet that there are actually a large percentage of people playing FF7R that never played the original. It's got the hype and a lot of people are going to say "I can finally see what the hype has been about all these years!"

There's a difference between that and just knowing things through osmosis like that sephiroth is the major antagonist who has a character relationship with Cloud.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Motto posted:

There's a difference between that and just knowing things through osmosis like that sephiroth is the major antagonist who has a character relationship with Cloud.

And I bet a not insignificant number of FF7R buyers don’t even know that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

And I bet a not insignificant number of FF7R buyers don’t even know that.

Come on, Sephiroth has been paired with Cloud in almost every media he has shown up in as "Cloud's enemy/rival/darkness thing".

Even in Squaresoft's godawful Ergheiz game. It's been 20 years. People know Sephiroth =bad guy who kills Aerith

Like even if you have minimal internet contact, if you were to google "Final Fantasy" (not even VII) now to see what kind of game it is to decide wether to buy it or not, one of the top image results is Cloud clashing vs Sephiroth. They are both just that iconic.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 11, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endorph posted:

tbf its not like paying for a 40 hour long game is exactly a ripoff but yeah they did need to put 'ff7 remake - episode of midgar' or 'ff7 remake disc 1' in the title or something.

no they didn't :)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Eat The Rich posted:

The story continues in FFVIIIR.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

While I understand the logic of "everybody knows Sephiroth in 2020 so why bother to maintain an air of mystery for several hours," his being all over the game kinda is annoying. The point of Midgar is the same point you see in drat near every FF game. From King Baron to Gestahl to Shinra to Deling to Brahne, the first "act" is about an Evil Empire but gradually the empire is either revealed to be the pawn of the Real Villain or are forced to be second fiddle to that Real Villain. Midgar impresses upon you Shinra's might and depravity only to reveal at the end that they are absolutely NOTHING compared to Sephiroth.. But who is Sephiroth? We just know his power and that he trivialized the guys who were already beating us.

But here, he's just...in everything from the very beginning. Don't really like that change.

Overall the game gives me some FFXV vibes with an emphasis on light-hearted character interactions while the Plot is just kinda there in the background. Only I'm not sure if I find the interactions as endearing here.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Have I just missed it or did they completely cut out the golden shiny wire of hope?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nobody except Barret cares about the golden shiny wire of hope

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

While I understand the logic of "everybody knows Sephiroth in 2020 so why bother to maintain an air of mystery for several hours," his being all over the game kinda is annoying. The point of Midgar is the same point you see in drat near every FF game. From King Baron to Gestahl to Shinra to Deling to Brahne, the first "act" is about an Evil Empire but gradually the empire is either revealed to be the pawn of the Real Villain or are forced to be second fiddle to that Real Villain. Midgar impresses upon you Shinra's might and depravity only to reveal at the end that they are absolutely NOTHING compared to Sephiroth.. But who is Sephiroth? We just know his power and that he trivialized the guys who were already beating us.

But here, he's just...in everything from the very beginning. Don't really like that change.

Overall the game gives me some FFXV vibes with an emphasis on light-hearted character interactions while the Plot is just kinda there in the background. Only I'm not sure if I find the interactions as endearing here.

I counter that the remake maintains a mystery of Sephiroth. The questions are just different. The game isn't pretending you don't know who Sephiroth is, so instead the question is, "How does he know what he knows, is that even him, How much does Aerith know because she also seems to imply she knows the future, and Cloud's experiencing flashes of it too. What is his deal and goal? The fact is we still don't have answers to any of those questions. Because it is a mystery with no answer given, we have conjecture and speculation.

And at the end we've recontextualized the entire opening act, the scope of the world you thought you knew and understood, and realized something far grander and potentially dangerous lays beyond the horizon. Except instead of it being a threat you already know, it's a threat that's once more unknown That is the entire point of the last boss battle being killing the Arbiters of Fate, who were so meticulously maintaining the timeline by stopping Cloud and company from going off the rails. To say that, from this point on, all bets were off, next time Cloud decides to chop Reno's head off, there isn't going to be a ghost to stop him and throw him away.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just got done watching a real-time let's play of the few couple of chapters and I have to say those who feel like the changes are just going to confuse new players are carrying their knowledge baggage with them and it's not different than any game or show that is trying to introduce mystery.

If anything it helps allude to their being a much bigger picture and story outside of Midgar which is a good thing in a game that doesn't leave Midgar.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Onmi posted:

I counter that the remake maintains a mystery of Sephiroth. The questions are just different. The game isn't pretending you don't know who Sephiroth is, so instead the question is, "How does he know what he knows, is that even him, How much does Aerith know because she also seems to imply she knows the future, and Cloud's experiencing flashes of it too. What is his deal and goal? The fact is we still don't have answers to any of those questions. Because it is a mystery with no answer given, we have conjecture and speculation.

And at the end we've recontextualized the entire opening act, the scope of the world you thought you knew and understood, and realized something far grander and potentially dangerous lays beyond the horizon. Except instead of it being a threat you already know, it's a threat that's once more unknown That is the entire point of the last boss battle being killing the Arbiters of Fate, who were so meticulously maintaining the timeline by stopping Cloud and company from going off the rails. To say that, from this point on, all bets were off, next time Cloud decides to chop Reno's head off, there isn't going to be a ghost to stop him and throw him away.

Yeah, I said it earlier but a new player is still going to be asking who and what questions more than they are how and whys but older players will be the ones asking the how and whys. A 1 for 1 remake would have completely eliminated any form of intrigue from the game and I'm glad they are taking this route. If they can stick the landings the game will be better for it than a straight remake.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd be down for Sephiroth being around so much if they made his appearances more varied. Some are good, I liked the one where he shows up in Cloud's dream after Airbuster, but most are kinda the same thing. They shoulda had fun with it, like have a Sephiroth memorial where the statue starts talking to Cloud or have him show up on TVs or in the back of crowd scenes and poo poo. Or have one of the radios have a recording of him playing and it's normal the first few times, then like later in the game the recording diverts to talking directly to Cloud.

Or just rip off the Majima everywhere system and Cloud has to fight Sephiroth constantly in increasingly bizarre circumstances. I dunno.

PT6A posted:

This game are great.

It threads the needle between nostalgia and novelty in the way that the Star Wars sequels failed to do. Everything is familiar, but also new and, goddamn, I am here for it. Also, hard agree that Cloud needs to get some. What the gently caress, devs? Let him get his bone on fer gently caress sake.

JBP posted:

I was very mad at his responses to Jessie just wanting to get laid. Do the right thing you dickhead.

I mean he kinda does get his gently caress on in the original game, eventually, depending on your affection with Tifa.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Sephiroth is like Darth Vader, both are so iconic to their media that any appearance after the initial game/trilogy is more about the hype than the actual character. The vast majority of the added Sephiroth scenes seem to be Square Enix waving their arms going "look it's Sephiroth!!!" and just brutally hammering home the point that he is manipulating Cloud. Also I know his original Japanese dialogue in FF7 is supposed to be really pompous and theatrical but I feel like they're overdoing it in this as they did in Advent Childen.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Best summary of how hard it goes from relatively normal to AC/KH:
https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EVUt-QhUwAAIIXL.mp4

EDIT: breaking the link up in case it doesn't appear properly.
[url]https://[/url]
video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EVUt-QhUwAAIIXL.mp4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VagueRant posted:

That would work if you ignore all the other times it goes full crazy anime battle before the first scene you posted

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

lmao

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

All I know is I haven't seen enough appreciation for the little scene when you meet the Seph clone and Cloud gets his giant dumb sword caught in the doorframe for a second.

edit: Also I genuinely like that they don't even pretend to explain how he sheathes it.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

All I know is I haven't seen enough appreciation for the little scene when you meet the Seph clone and Cloud gets his giant dumb sword caught in the doorframe for a second.

It’s weird little details like this that make you see a lot of love was put into this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They turned the loving Guy Who Are Sick into a character with an actual name and direct implications on the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

They turned the loving Guy Who Are Sick into a character with an actual name and direct implications on the plot

With background added to explain/set the seeds for Reunion earlier.